• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

Dizzan said:
I'm just working on what Anastacio has said about the full game. He said it's about 85%shooting.

I love the demo and I know I will love the full game. I just hope the full game and further sequels include more platforming and puzzle elements.
The devs said 70/30...Anastacio isn't being accurate with 85%, he's saying it felt like 85%

deepbrown

Hi...another few things.

The fish in the pond are cool :p

Writing my name in a tree was funny...and then running around the whole demo and coming back to find it was still there in the tree 10 minutes later. Small touches people. Oh and the bullet holes on cover and rocks etc don't have a predetermined size - it just looks like the rock is chipping off. Very nice.

Also all bodies and destructible cover rocks would stay in the same place...knowing that I'd shotgunned one cover (rocks close around the base) and the location of the exploded covers was nice to see them all where they had landed.

Making Drake balance on a broken pillar was funny :p

Does it bother anyone that he can't crouch? (or can he?) And that when your behind a wall there's only high cover, and not low cover...
This preview mentions it http://www.ripten.com/2007/11/10/uncharted-drakes-fortune-demo-impressions/

ps. I personally dont think it's a problem, and might have slowed down the action. I'm sure it's deliberate, would like to know why.

Loudninja

deepbrown said:
Hi...another few things.

The fish in the pond are cool :p

Writing my name in a tree was funny...and then running around the whole demo and coming back to find it was still there in the tree 10 minutes later. Small touches people. Oh and the bullet holes on cover and rocks etc don't have a predetermined size - it just looks like the rock is chipping off. Very nice.

Also all bodies and destructible cover rocks would stay in the same place...knowing that I'd shotgunned one cover (rocks close around the base) and the location of the exploded covers.

Making Drake balance on a broken pillar was funny :p

Does it bother anyone that he can't crouch? (or can he?) And that when your behind a wall there's only high cover, and not low cover...

LMAO, i tried to write my name as well :lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
deepbrown said:

Yes. The game is seriously missing the crouch. It'd be nice to be able to walk/run crouched down. The enemy can pop out form cover a bunch of different ways/heights, but Drake is limited to just two options.

I'm getting really good at blindfiring the pistol.

Too bad the game doesn't have a careful walk button... Drake controls poorly on narrow pillars and stuff. It's hard to make fine adjustments to line up a jump. I think the game should know you're balancing on a pillar and make it easy to orient your body in different directions...

Other than that... game is awesome.

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
did he say right between the eyes?
No he prob said..."how does that feel?" Or something like that...makes me laugh. I like it when he picks up a weapon and says "sweet" or "nice, just what I need"...I'm like FUCK YEAH! :lol

deepbrown

recklessmind said:
Yes. The game is seriously missing the crouch. It'd be nice to be able to walk/run crouched down. The enemy can pop out form cover a bunch of different ways/heights, but Drake is limited to just two options.

I'm getting really good at blindfiring the pistol.

Too bad the game doesn't have a careful walk button... Drake controls poorly on narrow pillars and stuff. It's hard to make fine adjustments to line up a jump. I think the game should know you're balancing on a pillar and make it easy to orient your body in different directions...

Other than that... game is awesome.
You can walk slowly...it's quite easy to direct yourself, I don't know what you mean.

zoku88

Bebpo said:
Uncharted is going to get nailed in the reviews for having no multiplayer. It's basically Sony's answer to Gears of War but with no online co-op or vs. multiplayer.

I'll be surprised if gamespot gives it a 9.0 or higher.
I don't see it as a game that even SHOULD have multiplayer. It wouldn't fit with the rest of the game, imo :-/

Riddler

VonGak! said:
Are the TR puzzles hard?

Anyway, it's easy to make hard puzzles. It's much harder to make the puzzles intuitive (which to me is a lot more rewarding than hard puzzles).

Well most of the puzzles in TR are easy but the ones in the mansion got kinda tough.

It's much harder to make the puzzles intuitive (which to me is a lot more rewarding than hard puzzles

yea I agree

Evolved1

deepbrown said:
You can walk slowly...it's quite easy to direct yourself, I don't know what you mean.

Did I say you couldn't walk slowly?

What I was getting at is that... when you're standing atop a narrow pillar/walkway, it's difficult to make slight adjustments to the direction Drake is facing, because he has a tendency to "slide" around a bit when you first start moving. It's not always a problem, but it seems like something very basic that I'm surprised the devs didn't pay much attention to. Especially considering there were a number of games that did this much better last gen.

I know that might be difficult for you to read... don't worry... just take a deep breath...

duckroll

Finally got to try out the demo after downloading it again. Some thoughts:

- Combat is pretty good, even though its a direct ripoff of Gears of War
- Way too much combat for my liking for what was supposed to be an adventure game and not a shooter
- Most of the controls are great
- Climbing is great and reminds me of SotC
- Using the sixaxis to aim grenades = the dumbest thing ever
- Melee doesn't work so well and the camera's not so great

jett

D-Member
zoku88 said:
I don't see it as a game that even SHOULD have multiplayer. It wouldn't fit with the rest of the game, imo :-/

bubububu every game has to have multiplayer!!

jesus I hate that piece of shit mentality.

JB1981

Bebpo said:
Uncharted is going to get nailed in the reviews for having no multiplayer. It's basically Sony's answer to Gears of War but with no online co-op or vs. multiplayer.

I'll be surprised if gamespot gives it a 9.0 or higher.

The fuck?

I think your last tag needs a return, but updated for great justice. Or maybe you just need to quit gaming and stop being such a sour puss.

deepbrown

recklessmind said:
Did I say you couldn't walk slowly?

What I was getting at is that... when you're standing atop a narrow pillar/walkway, it's difficult to make slight adjustments to the direction Drake is facing, because he has a tendency to "slide" around a bit when you first start moving. It's not always a problem, but it seems like something very basic that I'm surprised the devs didn't pay much attention to. Especially considering there were a number of games that did this much better last gen.

I know that might be difficult for you to read... don't worry... just take a deep breath...
Don't be a dick monkey. It might be hard for you to type what you mean, just take a deep breath, stretch your fingers and try again.

Evolved1

deepbrown said:
Don't be a dick monkey. It might be hard for you to type what you mean, just take a deep breath, stretch your fingers and try again.

:lol

No hard feelings man.

jett

D-Member
JB1981 said:
The fuck?

I think your last tag needs a return, but updated for great justice. Or maybe you just need to quit gaming and stop being such a sour puss.

Bebpo and his clone duckroll have pretty much turned into worse versions of me.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, I didn't realize that would hit such a high note with people.

Demo is great, and the retail should be as well. I was just commenting that I think sadly review scores are going to take a hit because the gameplay somewhat resembles Gears and reviewers will knock it for not having the same feature set as Gears.

Way too much shooting going on, but it's a short demo and I suspect they're trying to sell this thing as more of a shooter than it really is (I'm expecting more of a 50-50 balance in the full game). That said, the shooting is really quite good for a game with such quick, fluid movement. I didn't have any huge problems with the camera or controls, I even liked the tilt for grenades, but the melee doesn't seem to make any immediate sense. There's some sort of combo/timing thing going on, but without more detailed instructions or visual cues it just boils down to running straight up and mashing square until they drop.

The visuals are stunning; I'll agree with whoever said this is the first game in a long time that looks better when you're playing it than you'd expect from all the trailers. Impeccable image quality and I'm not seeing the tearing others are; probably the most technically impressive game I've played on a console if you consider the crisp fluidity in combination with the procedural animation system and environmental motion/destructibility. Normally we get one or the other; some next-gen features and visuals coupled with a shimmery, unstable game, or beautiful IQ and nothing to suggest anything special going on beneath the hood.

I liked the cinematic and the character expressed in-game through Nathan's animation and quips. The dialogue, lighting and cinematography were spot on for the mood they're trying to capture, although the editing is a little sloppy in that it doesn't really communicate a sense of urgency when they have to bail out. Audio is all around excellent, especially the music.

So yeah, I was a little apprehensive about the game, but I'm definitely sold now.

Evolved1

deepbrown said:
He does have a little skate. Can't say it annoys me too much.

I appreciate all the other animation way too much to complain a lot about the skate... Animation was the thing I was most looking forward to this gen. So I applaud the devs who put the work into it.

ty_hot

I think that with an multiplayer, Uncharted would have some 9.5+ scores, everything in the game is amazing, near perfect, only multiplayer is missing.

Dizzan

MINI Member
ty_hot said:
I think that with an multiplayer, Uncharted would have some 9.5+ scores, everything in the game is amazing, near perfect, only multiplayer is missing.

It's the first game on a next(new) gen system. They had to concentrate their efforts (budget) into creating the awesome experience we are seeing. They had no time to implement multi. And anyway the game is story driven not an FPS.

The only online I would like to see in the sequel is Co-op. Drake and Elena working through the story together.

It's weird some people can't do the melee combo right.

It was very natural for me and I get the trick after two or three try.

On the bad notes, I realy hope this is not the final build, there a lot of bugs going on and it doesn't have the polish I expected.
There's nothing game breaking but it lacks this little thing which games like Resistance have.

Loudninja

Me_Marcadet said:
It's weird some people can't do the melee combo right.

It was very natural for me and I get the trick after two or three try.

On the bad notes, I realy hope this is not the final build, there a lot of bugs going on and it doesn't have the polish I expected.
There's nothing game breaking but it lacks this little thing which games like Resistance have.

yeah,I play the whole demo today doing nothing but melee, and did it right every single time

Calcaneus

Yeah, this is one of those games where multiplayer really doesn't fit.

Anyways, Bebpo wasn't saying that he felt the game needed multiplayer, just that reviewers would want it in there.

Loudninja

Rumble impressiosn from DJmizuhara:

Yeah Uncharted feels awesome. You don't feel anything whilst running, but when you jump from a height you feel a small dull thud, which is really nice. When Nathan is traversing you can feel a small rumble feeling, again it feels good.
When your getting hit with bullets you feel a nice strong rumble, and when the grenades go off around you, you get a nice quick and strong rumble. When going up against an enemy with your fists you feel each and every punch thrown and taken. When your character is almost dead you get a pulsating rumble mimicking Nathans heartbeat. Overall it feels really good and it doesn't feel like a last minute tack on.

:D

womfalcs3 said:
Bioshock and Ratchet weren't penalized. EDIT: In terms of overall average in the ratings

What does that even mean? If it was penalized for it in even one review, then that affects the average.

Anyway, I've had it up to here with the blind requests for multiplayer. It's not like it's free in terms of resources. In everything from design to balance tweaking, it gobbles up resources that could be spent on SP. And as someone who likes his SP, it's quite disheartening to see games be released with minimal SP efforts in favor of MP. And even worse, those games are largely forgiven for it, which unfortunately only works to inspire developers to do less work on SP, because hey, that MP will save them from poor reviews.

Core407

Banned
I know I’m just repeating what everyone has already made obvious. The game is gorgeous. Incredible lighting that makes the environments looks alive. The shadows in the game are some of the best yet. This becomes really noticeable when Drake is stationary. As the trees sway in the wind, the shadowing on the ground follows along. It’s really amazing stuff. Small animals can be seen throughout the area and all are animated very realistically. One of the few things I happen to dislike is the blood, which I find to look cartoony. It almost looks like a sprite. The animations are just top notch for both the enemies and Drake. Most of the time the animation system works flawlessly and everything has a smooth flow to it, but from time to time they will glitch and you’ll remember you’re playing a videogame. The best thing about the animations would be that they are context sensitive. Running towards an enemy with its back to you results in Drake performing a variety of knockout attacks, while initiating a fight face to face with an enemy will result in a cool combo. I remember attacking a guy who was back up against the wall and Drake slammed his head into the stone wall, knocking him out instantly and dropping him to the ground. Very cool stuff. I’ve probably gone through the demo over ten times now and I’m still experiencing combo strings I haven’t seen yet.

The combat is really appealing too and might I add a visceral experience. I’m constantly impressed with the way enemy bodies recoil and are thrown back when being hit with a blast from the shotgun, which is definitely a satisfying experience. The aiming is downright perfect. Hitting stationary targets is a piece of cake but going for area-specific attacks requires a skilled hand. The game creates depth in its gunplay through so many different ways. The range of animations enemies have to avoid being shot is incredible. I’ve witnessed enemies sliding across the ground while trying to kill you with gunfire, an enemy crawling on the ground, popping his head out from the stone wall he is using for cover and start firing. Enemies are very smart about not being killed, too. They don’t continually pop out of the same corner when using cover and move from along the terrain, attempting to find better positions to take you out. The AI is downright eerie at times in its realness. The weapons (handgun, shotgun & AK-47) are great. Each weapon has their own advantages and is better than others in certain situations. When I played through the demo, I had no real urgency to find the next big weapon. Taking out enemies with the handgun was pretty straightforward but its limits become apparent when in a firefight with many enemies. The shotgun is definitely the gun to use during these situations. Using the blind fire in cover mode is simple and effective and keeps Drake safe from the baddies. The AK-47 is great at just mowing down enemies from a distance. Other than that, it’s average at best.

The platforming aspects in the game are done just as well as everything else. The animation system shines again and gives Drake some serious life. My only complaint would be that the platforming wasn’t really utilized that much in the demo. I hope they incorporate other things into the platforming than just ledges. Vines, ropes, trees, etc.

I figured I would write up a paragraph on all the things that I disliked about the demo. For one, the barrels have no physics to them. They can’t be knocked over, rolled around or anything like that. The crates that are throughout the level take no damage either. While some people might be asking why I’m complaining about it, it’s because I think having it so would add to the game play. The animals don’t react to your gunfire and just fly away normally. I wished ND would have implemented a crouching feature in the game so the player could run in a safer position. In exchange for the safe position, they could just make the run speed slower than a standing run.

Best experience thus far: At the first encounter with the enemies, there is an enemy that slides down the tree to the lower level. Well I managed to pop him one right in the face as he was in mid-jump to the tree trunk. His body just went limp and fell to the grass below.

Loudninja

Rumble impressiosn from DJmizuhara:

Yeah Uncharted feels awesome. You don't feel anything whilst running, but when you jump from a height you feel a small dull thud, which is really nice. When Nathan is traversing you can feel a small rumble feeling, again it feels good.
When your getting hit with bullets you feel a nice strong rumble, and when the grenades go off around you, you get a nice quick and strong rumble. When going up against an enemy with your fists you feel each and every punch thrown and taken. When your character is almost dead you get a pulsating rumble mimicking Nathans heartbeat. Overall it feels really good and it doesn't feel like a last minute tack on.

:D

Lightning

Banned
ty_hot said:
This multiplayer obsession people have is ridiculous. Multiplayer is great for adding replay value to FPS games but it is totally not required for every game or games like Ratchet and Uncharted. You already have heaps of multiplayer games available and many more coming. There is no need for a constant cry for multiplayer and the time required to implement it.

Bebpo

Banned
Lightning said:
This multiplayer obsession people have is ridiculous. Multiplayer is great for adding replay value to FPS games but it is totally not required for every game or games like Ratchet and Uncharted. You already have heaps of multiplayer games available and many more coming. There is no need for a constant cry for multiplayer and the time required to implement it.

Depends. Look at Lost Planet: 3rd person action/adventure, running around grappling, riding mechs, and...shooting things. Yet the multiplayer was pretty cool and a huge reason why the game sold well and was reviewed well.

While I agree that games don't need it. It seems that adding it most of the time ups your review scores, sales, and overall gamer satisfaction level.

Bebpo said:
Depends. Look at Lost Planet: 3rd person action/adventure, running around grappling, riding mechs, and...shooting things. Yet the multiplayer was pretty cool and a huge reason why the game sold well and was reviewed well.

While I agree that games don't need it. It seems that adding it most of the time ups your review scores, sales, and overall gamer satisfaction level.

... by clown fuck reviewers who just don't seem to have the smarts to realize that it's not as simple as just adding it, and that the end result may not actually be guaranteed to have enough value to justify the negative impact the splitting of resources might have on the component that the developer obviously chose to focus on. This aggressive dumbassity is only made all the more incredible by the way said critics give games with short ass and/or mediocre SP a free pass. Dog vomit.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't want to be mean to Sony or anything, but between the whole "not enough resources" and the revelation that God of War II, a sequel to a MILLION SELLING GAME, had only 9 animators who were forced to work slave hours for 14 months....maybe Sony should really thinking about upping their budgets for their big AAA games? With all the copies GoW sells, you'd think they could have hired twice the animators and cut their hours in half, making them a lot happier. More people would also speed up development cycles.

Core407

Banned
Lightning said:

I understand fully what you're saying but the play Uncharted has just screams MP. It works very well, there is a cool melee combat aspect to it. On top of that, ND could incorporate the platforming into online maps. It could just be really good. I hope they do some kind of MP expansion on this one.

Lain

The first thing I thought after starting the demo (apart from the wow it looks cool) was "hey, the dubbing is pretty cool". I wasn't expecting to listen to the italian dub, just as I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is.
I really liked the combat mechanics and the controls, felt pretty good to me.
But I disliked the screen tearing. Yeah, it isn't so much, but it is annoying, it ruins the experience and it shouldn't be in.

Pimpwerx

You can combo into a Drake Break. I did a right cross that spun the guy around then I quickly pressed square and was greeted with a nice neck snap. The melee system must have some depth. There must be some method to the madness. PEACE.

Hu! I got another bug :(
I was jumping and climbing everywhere and Nate got stuck in the decor :/

I really hope the final game is bug free.

Anastacio, can you confirm there is no such things in your review copy please ?

Ironballs

Core407 said:
I understand fully what you're saying but the play Uncharted has just screams MP. It works very well, there is a cool melee combat aspect to it. On top of that, ND could incorporate the platforming into online maps. It could just be really good. I hope they do some kind of MP expansion on this one.

Assuming this game performs reasonably well its inevitable that we'll see a multiplayer component in future installments. With this being a new IP and all, it was probably more important to allocate all resources towards a creating a strong single player component.

I dunno if an expansion would work, but we can always wish!

Bebpo said:
I don't want to be mean to Sony or anything, but between the whole "not enough resources" and the revelation that God of War II, a sequel to a MILLION SELLING GAME, had only 9 animators who were forced to work slave hours for 14 months....maybe Sony should really thinking about upping their budgets for their big AAA games? With all the copies GoW sells, you'd think they could have hired twice the animators and cut their hours in half, making them a lot happier. More people would also speed up development cycles.

Simply throwing more talent (and money) at something doesn't "fix" anything. It might level resources, but then comes the additional struggle of keeping the administrative end up to the task. A compact team focused on the component it wants to focus on should be the optimal situation, and we've certainly seen enough evidence to suggest that nearly no studio is up to the task of delivering high quality, satisfying components on all fronts.

Top Bottom