• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Snah

Banned
Anastacio said:
If so, then there's nothing big to complain about.

how would you rate the demo section compared to the rest of the game?

do the later levels get a lot more difficult...also, do they open up a bit or are they fairly small areas?

YYZ

Dizzan said:
Resistance 2

Believe
Man I'm actually going through Resistance for the first time (for real) and it's amazing. I was turned off when I got it at launch because the controls didn't work for me, but playing it in high-def helped a lot for some reason.

Forsete

TTP said:
Oh there are sections later in Uncharted that will make you go "OMG Resistance 2 will be incredible"...

Believe x 100

So you have it? :D

Bastardo.

You can be pretty anal, so is it good? A good from TTP is like GOTC ;P

jiggle

TTP said:
Oh there are sections later in Uncharted that will make you go "OMG Resistance 2 will be incredible"...

Believe x 100

Hmm, is this the first time u mentioned having the final code? Where are the brief impressions? :/

VonGak!

Banned
Anastacio said:
It was one go, one day. Had to take a taxi home because no busses were driving anymore. So one go without any breaks.

Great, exactly what I hoped to hear ^.^ And yet again, thanks for sharing.

Ceb

Forsete said:
Ok. When you choose to see a cut scene from the menu, do they instantly load (like 1-2 seconds) or does PS3 sit there and load for a while?

I remember in the Jak games you could watch the cut scenes again, but they would take a while to load because they were real time.

A tired observation - I never recall being able to pause a pre-recorded/pre-rendered cinema. I have no idea if it's because something technical prevents this or not. Either way, you can pause the cutscenes in Uncharted, I still don't see any compression artifacts and effects like the fire don't look unfathomably good. Just don't understand the talk about them being pre-recorded all of a sudden. I mean, the ones in games like R&C, GoW and so on are immediately noticeable.

Forsete

Ceb said:
A tired observation - I never recall being able to pause a pre-recorded/pre-rendered cinema. I have no idea if it's because something technical prevents this or not. Either way, you can pause the cutscenes in Uncharted, I still don't see any compression artifacts and effects like the fire don't look unfathomably good. Just don't understand the talk about them being pre-recorded all of a sudden. I mean, the ones in games like R&C, GoW and so on are immediately noticeable.

The demo cutscenes are recorded, you can easily see the artifacts. I was thinking they were only doing this in the demo to save some space and not have a massive load time at the beginning of the demo.

ND did say everything was real time in the game IIRC, so I want to know if they really are real-time in the full game.
Have you played the full game?

deepbrown

Me_Marcadet said:
622cda16b18bc0f41fb53d79f4d22.jpg
I like the stand on that pillar directly behind Drake...and just make him balance lol

Awntawn

Forsete said:
The demo cutscenes are recorded, you can easily see the artifacts. I was thinking they were only doing this in the demo to save some space and not have a massive load time at the beginning of the demo.

ND did say everything was real time in the game IIRC, so I want to know if they really are real-time in the full game.
With regards to the artifacing, I know that with Heavenly Sword it seems that the demo cutscene was cut down severely in quality, likely to limit the size of the download, and the cutscenes on the disc were much higher quality.

Roat

Banned
Just played it, the graphics were very good and I enjoyed the cutscenes/lines/voices.

The gunplay was okay, it didn't really have anything that would bring me back to play it again but that's somewhat anticipated of a game that isn't only a shooter. The combat reminds me of when I played the Stranglehold demo; it had the bullet time and all that but it was something that I'd done a thousand times before and repeating it didn't interest me. This one has the cover system, the covering enemies, the explosive barrels that you shoot when the enemies are near but nothing that would bring me back to it. It's done in more open areas, though.

I love the rolling though. In games where you can roll I do nothing but lurch forward into a ball from place to place.

Raist

Banned
So I've played with the grenades a lot, and I think I've never seen the ennemies running away from them. They just yell "uh oh" or "grenades, watch out" but that's it. Hope this is fixed in the final build. That said, the grenades' range is pretty small, so you have to aim very well, but still, that looks a bit odd.

Cutscenes load instantly. I'm gonna see if it includes other costumes, but I doubt it. It's probably to let it load the next scene properly.

Although, it seems to use the exact same models and lighting.

Forsete

SiegfriedFM said:
Cutscenes load instantly. I'm gonna see if it includes other costumes, but I doubt it. It's probably to let it load the next scene properly.

Although, it seems to use the exact same models and lighting.

Ok, well anything to keep the load times down. It would have been nice if they were rendered though, just for the technical awesomeness.

antiloop

Didn't someone from ND say that the cut-scenes were real-time and looking as good as the gameplay but they were thinking about making them look better. That was around E3 or earlier in an interview if I remember correctly.

Maybe they did some tweaking?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jiggle said:
Hmm, is this the first time u mentioned having the final code? Where are the brief impressions? :/

Sorry I've been busy playing it and doind stuff for a "french" website we all love. ;)

Anyway, the game. Some raw data/impressions:

- Took me 9 hrs and 9 minute of pure gameplay (no cutscene time added to that) to finish the game on Normal on my first playthrough. It's pretty long. A tad bit less than R&CF maybe, but still extremely rewarding. Didn't feel like "so, is that it?". It basically feels double in lengh than Heavenly Sword.

- There are a shitload of secrets to unlock and I cannot wait to do that with the retail code + DualShock 3. I've unlocked some new skins and various other stuff that are defintely worth the effort. Even the Gallery is worth it, with pics of the NDI studios/people. On a side note, I have to prize the effort that went into navigating the menus. It's fast and I love how it keeps track of the last subsection you selected so you can switch stuff on/off easly. Like say you went into Option mid-game, and calibrated the brightnes. In order to do so, you have to navigate the menu with the d-pad of course. But say you go back into the game and are not pleased with the brightness. You just bring the menu screen back and all you have to do is press X X X to get to the brightness thing without using the d-pad anymore as the "route" is already hilighted. Yeah, it's a minor thing, but I did really appreciate refinements like this one. Anyway, the secret treasures you can find in the game (there are around 60 IIRC, and I only got 9 on my first playthrough) are in places away from the main route of course and require a good degree of hunting, but most of all they are awesome. You can watch them in a dedicated menu screen and at first I was like, oh, ok, those are some nice little arts. But then I realised they were not art at all but rather 3D metallic objects IMPRESSIVELY rendered you can rotate with the right stick. Believe me you'll rotate them every time you find one. They do look like... real?

- Tearing and frame rate problems are there. As in the demo. Some time worse. Some time better. It's an odd behaviour as you can see tearing/frame drops in small places sometimes, while there is none in huge environments. Maybe it has to do with the streaming thing? Not sure as the part before you reach the submarine for example, with its incredible vistas, doesnt' suffer. Anyway, the worst sections were probably those on vehicles (water ski, jeep), mostly frame rate wise. I saw the jet ski video online and looked pretty smooth, but in the actual review code I've got it wasn't at all. Especially when going in circles with the scenary scrolling around you. Jeep section fame rate was about 25fps I think. Not really bad as you go straight most of the time, and it just bothers the graphics whore inside me. Overall, tho, I dont feel like complaining that much about this issue cos it's kinda "justified" by the AWESOMENESS of the graphic content on display. This is seriously the most impressive game I've ever seen since this gen started. And when planets allign and you get an awesome environment running at steady 30fps it's graphics whore heaven. The dynamic lighting/shadowing is impressive to say the least. Everything casts shadows and these ARE NOT GLITCHY at all. They are as perfect as you can get on this gen machines.

- the game gets better and better. As you reach the midmark, game turns to the "dark side" as you are away from the sunny jungle environments and in dark areas that kinda reminded me of Gears of War. Frame drops and tearing almost disappear at this point (as locales are smaller I guess). Do you recall the level in the church that was demoed to the press some time ago? OMG that was incredible. Let me say this again. INCREDIBLE. I can see why NDI showed that section of the game to the press.

- The final phases are "surprising" and will see you go holy shit like every 10 secs. Wont say more for spoiler reason.

Overall, while technically not 100% perfect due to some frame rate/tearing issues, Uncharted is the best showcase you can get of the PS3 hardware. For comparison, Uncharted is a 8, Heavely Sword is a 5. To me. Technically. As for the game overall, I'd give it a 9 cos is fun as shit. I'd actually put it slightly above Ratchet & Clank Future.

It's basically Gears of War meets ICO. Which is good I guess.

Holtz

TTP said:
Sorry I've been busy playing it and doind stuff for a "french" website we all love. ;)

Anyway, the game. Some raw data/impressions:

- Took me 9 hrs and 9 minute of pure gameplay (no cutscene time added to that) to finish the game on Normal on my first playthrough. It's pretty long. A tad bit less than R&CF maybe, but still extremely rewarding. Didn't feel like "so, is that it?". It basically feels double in lengh than Heavenly Sword.

- There are a shitload of secrets to unlock and I cannot wait to do that with the retail code + DualShock 3. I've unlocked some new skins and various other stuff that are defintely worth the effort. Even the Gallery is worth it, with pics of the NDI studios/people. On a side note, I have to prize the effort that went into navigating the menus. It's fast and I love how it keeps track of the last subsection you selected so you can switch stuff on/off easly. Like say you went into Option mid-game, and calibrated the brightnes. In order to do so, you have to navigate the menu with the d-pad of course. But say you go back into the game and are not pleased with the brightness. You just bring the menu screen back and all you have to do is press X X X to get to the brightness thing without using the d-pad anymore as the "route" is already hilighted. Yeah, it's a minor thing, but I did really appreciate refinements like this one. Anyway, the secret treasures you can find in the game (there are around 60 IIRC, and I only got 9 on my first playthrough) are in places away from the main route of course and require a good degree of hunting, but most of all they are awesome. You can watch them in a dedicated menu screen and at first I was like, oh, ok, those are some nice little arts. But then I realised they were not art at all but rather 3D metallic objects IMPRESSIVELY rendered you can rotate with the right stick. Believe me you'll rotate them every time you find one. They do look like... real?

- Tearing and frame rate problems are there. As in the demo. Some time worse. Some time better. It's an odd behaviour as you can see tearing/frame drops in small places sometimes, while there is none in huge environments. Maybe it has to do with the streaming thing? Not sure as the part before you reach the submarine for example, with its incredible vistas, doesnt' suffer. Anyway, the worst sections were probably those on vehicles (water ski, jeep), mostly frame rate wise. I saw the jet ski video online and looked pretty smooth, but in the actual review code I've got it wasn't at all. Especially when going in circles with the scenary scrolling around you. Jeep section fame rate was about 25fps I think. Not really bad as you go straight most of the time, and it just bothers the graphics whore inside me. Overall, tho, I dont feel like complaining that much about this issue cos it's kinda "justified" by the AWESOMENESS of the graphic content on display. This is seriously the most impressive game I've ever seen since this gen started. And when planets allign and you get an awesome environment running at steady 30fps it's graphics whore heaven. The dynamic lighting/shadowing is impressive to say the least. Everything casts shadows and these ARE NOT GLITCHY at all. They are as perfect as you can get on this gen machines.

- the game gets better and better. As you reach the midmark, game turns to the "dark side" as you are away from the sunny jungle environments and in dark areas that kinda reminded me of Gears of War. Frame drops and tearing almost disappear at this point (as locales are smaller I guess). Do you recall the level in the church that was demoed to the press some time ago? OMG that was incredible. Let me say this again. INCREDIBLE. I can see why NDI showed that section of the game to the press.

- The final phases are "surprising" and will see you go holy shit like every 10 secs. Wont say more for spoiler reason.

Overall, while technically not 100% perfect due to some frame rate/tearing issues, Uncharted is the best showcase you can get of the PS3 hardware. For comparison, Uncharted is a 8, Heavely Sword is a 5. To me. Technically. As for the game overall, I'd give it a 9 cos is fun as shit. I'd actually put it slightly above Ratchet & Clank Future.

It's basically Gears of War meets ICO. Which is good I guess.
HYPE INCREASING! :D

JB1981

Defuser said:
I bet gamespot will give a 7 because...

*The Good*
-Beautiful and fluid animations
-Awesome graphics
-Decent combat system

*The Bad*
-Not on the xbox360
Who cares what Gamespot gives the game?

And please, guys, can we stop with the media conspiracy theories? It's getting old.

Roat

Banned
This is the last thing I saw on the cinematics:

Oh yeah exactly, zero load times throughout the entire game. It's a full length streaming experience. Our cinematics are all rendered via the in-game engine so the transition between the game itself and our movies is very smooth. So what you're getting is a consistent visual; what players see during the cutscenes is what they see when they're playing the game.

http://www.*******.com/2007/08/28/pax-07-*******-interviews-sonys-sam-thompson-about-uncharted/

Pachimari

Forsete said:

How the cutscene works in the demo is how every cutscene work in the full game.

Pachimari

Snah said:
how would you rate the demo section compared to the rest of the game?

do the later levels get a lot more difficult...also, do they open up a bit or are they fairly small areas?
The demo level is one of the worst in the whole game I think. I don't think they get more open ended, it's pretty linear throughout the game. I just think the demo level is boring and has "uglier" art than the rest of the game. In fact, I think the demo level is the worst in my book..

Forsete

Anastacio said:
The demo level is one of the worst in the whole game I think. I don't think they get more open ended, it's pretty linear throughout the game. I just think the demo level is boring and has "uglier" art than the rest of the game. In fact, I think the demo level is the worst in my book..

Hot damn.. :D

Great post TTP. Thanks.

Pachimari

TTP said:

Seriously, are we allowed to say that much?? You shouldn't have said it gets "surprising", were trying to keep every surprise out of the discussion so people wouldn't know that much.. =/

And I don't know if people will go "holy shit" every 10 second, I didn't. I think the story were "easier" to guess than first thought.

Anastacio said:
Seriously, are we allowed to say that much?? You shouldn't have said it gets "surprising", were trying to keep every surprise out of the discussion so people wouldn't know that much.. =/

He didn't spoil anything, any good game should have a final section that's like what he described.

Awntawn

Unsurmountable barrier known as MIDTERMS between now and this game. You can't possibly imagine the pain. THE PAIN.

At least I'll have my DS3 ready for it ;D Assuming Citibank isn't asstasstic and decides to block my card for no good reason again >.>

Pachimari

SolidSnakex said:
He didn't spoil anything, any good game should have a final section that's like what he described.
But in my book, it's not like he described..
I have a ton of respect for TTP and others opinions and describtions, though I didn't get surprised at all. There are some minor surprises but that's it in my book. =)

Steroyd

Tideas said:
why is it that this demo thread has 1k+ more posts than the actual game thread?

Are those 1k+ whining posts? lol

Us Euros came out in full force, and for once Sony became our bitch.

Anastacio said:
But in my book, it's not like he described..
I have a ton of respect for TTP and others opinions and describtions, though I didn't get surprised at all. There are some minor surprises but that's it in my book. =)

It'll be different for different people. There are some people who didn't like the final section to MGS3, while many other consider it to be one of the greatest finales to a game ever.

Awntawn

SolidSnakex said:
It'll be different for different people. There are some people who didn't like the final section to MGS3, while many other consider it to be one of the greatest finales to a game ever.
By final section of MGS3 do you mean the
motorcycle sequence
or
carrying Eva's voluptuous ass across several maps
or
The Boss fight
or
the fake duel with Ocelot
or
the amazing mantear inducing ending movie
?

Awntawn said:
By final section of MGS3 do you mean the
motorcycle sequence
or
carrying Eva's voluptuous ass across several maps
or
The Boss fight
or
the fake duel with Ocelot
or
the amazing mantear inducing ending movie
?

All of it.

Midas

gofreak said:
I've found you only get their attention up there by starting to fire at them...any time I've done that, they run around momentarily (for cover or whatever) before realising where the fire came from, and then returning fire.

I didn't specifically mean that they know where you are in regards to being on the mountain. If you're behind a wall, they seem to know WHERE behind the wall you are, or am I just imagine things?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Angelcurio said:
Hey ttp, whats the split between the shooting, adventure and puzzle solving?

hmmm... I'd say 60% shooting, 40% exploration/puzzle solving. But I think it's more a question of pacing. There are points where firefights take a tad bit longer than they should, to the point that a couple of times I was like "oh not again". But then again there are long sections totally avoid of shooting. So some times you get an even amount of exploration/shooting. Other times you get more shooting than exploration. Other times is only exploration. At the end, the overall feeling is what my percentages above represent.

Angelcurio

Thanks for the answer. After trying the demo i was a bit worried about the game being mostly a shooter. Hype back to its original state :D

Raist

Banned
Midas said:
I didn't specifically mean that they know where you are in regards to being on the mountain. If you're behind a wall, they seem to know WHERE behind the wall you are, or am I just imagine things?

Yeah, they do.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I die sometimes playing on hard. At first it was because I wasn't used to the controls... mostly the cover system seemed clunky when things start getting heated. That's still an issue sometimes, but for the most part I'm warmed up to the system.

Now I die because the AI is smart.

Imo, that's a fun way to die. I like being outflanked. Good work Naughty Dog!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anastacio said:
How the cutscene works in the demo is how every cutscene work in the full game.
All scenes are pre-recorded?

I could have sworn the scene displayed after crashing (when Drake is hanging from the tree) was realtime as the artifacts seemed to disappear.

Pachimari

TTP said:
hmmm... I'd say 60% shooting, 40% exploration/puzzle solving. But I think it's more a question of pacing. There are points where firefights take a tad bit longer than they should, to the point that a couple of times I was like "oh not again". But then again there are long sections totally avoid of shooting. So some times you get an even amount of exploration/shooting. Other times you get more shooting than exploration. Other times is only exploration. At the end, the overall feeling is what my percentages above represent.
That's what I thought as well: "oh not again" at the shooting when I got closer and closer to the end. But great game nonetheless.

Raist

Banned
dark10x said:
All scenes are pre-recorded?

I could have sworn the scene displayed after crashing (when Drake is hanging from the tree) was realtime as the artifacts seemed to disappear.

I'm pretty sure this one is real-time yeah.

Pachimari

SolidSnakex said:
If all the scenes are pre recorded wouldn't that cause issues with the multiple costumes and character skins?
But the character skins won't change in the cutscenes. At least, that's what I have read, nothing I have tried.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
If all the scenes are pre recorded wouldn't that cause issues with the multiple costumes and character skins?

ND already covered their asses by saying that the skins and costumes won't reflect a change on the cut-scenes.

Top Bottom