• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Bebpo

Banned
Marconelly said:
Resistance doesn't have tearing, but it has framedrops. Not *that* often, but it does. In any case, I think you'd have to have a very specific tastes, to say the least, if you'd prefer Resistance graphics overall to those in Uncharted.

Because if you don't like tearing, you don't like good graphics, right?

I don't have an issue with tearing in Uncharted because it happens rarely. But tearing is a HUGE issue and it bothers some people more than anything else about a game. I can't even play switchball on XBLA because the tearing. I look at the game and all I see are wavy lines and not the graphics underneath.

And yes, in an alternate world where Uncharted had tearing going on 90% of the time, I would take Resistance level of graphics with no tearing over Uncharted level of graphics with tearing.

quetz67

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Skipped the cut scenes. I hate cutscenes, and the character facial animations look screwy.
*lol*

thats like watching a movie and fast forwarding everyting but the action sequences

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bebpo said:
But tearing is a HUGE issue and it bothers some people more than anything else about a game.
Yeah, I know. But the keyword is "some", and that's why I said to have very specific tastes. The tearing is a frame-drop "method of choice" for developers precisely because most people see it less / care less about it than for the full frame drops. Smoothness of motion matters more because of brain's memory-based image building.

In Uncharted they even made sure that the image never tears in the middle, but only on top/bottom of the image btw.

VonGak!

Banned
Downloaded it because folks were comparing some of the mechanics to Gears of War.

Unfortunately I still prefer Gears of War as it's a straight forward shooty game. I am not at all interested in Dude Raider's exploration aspects, I'd prefer less wandering around aimlessly and more running and gunning - but enough of beating that old dead horse; because I know where I can go to get that kind of game.

Skipped the cut scenes. I hate cutscenes, and the character facial animations look screwy.

And Dude runs like a little girl, or like he's gotta take a dump. What's up with that?
I love the kind of sarcasm where one ridicule oneself. ^.^

quetz67 said:
*lol*

thats like watching a movie and fast forwarding everyting but the action sequences

Yeah, only I'm not watching a fucking movie, I'm playing a video game.

I play games.

I watch movies.

Dave Jaffe for president!

VonGak! said:
I love the kind of sarcasm where one ridicule oneself. ^.^

I admit, I'm not a fan of exploration and platforming. :\

I'd rather have a run and gun game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is the dropkick random? I did it once and paused the game and just sat there with my mouth open.

Did I...Did I just dropkick him? IN THE FACE?!?!?

Aeon712

I played the demo again, maybe i'm an XBot in disguise like the guys on Resistance called me :lol. But I'm not liking Uncharted and it sucks because I really wanted it to be good. I can't get past the camera. I've never been frustrated with a camera this much. The weapons give me flashbacks to the Warhawk beta where the pistal is all you need since the rifle sucks. There is no way I can justify spending 60$ on it so I'm passing on Uncharted till I can get it for free like I did Lair.

Greg

Aeon712 said:
I played the demo again, maybe i'm an XBot in disguise like the guys on Resistance called me :lol. But I'm not liking Uncharted and it sucks because I really wanted it to be good. I can't get past the camera. I've never been frustrated with a camera this much. The weapons give me flashbacks to the Warhawk beta where the pistal is all you need since the rifle sucks. There is no way I can justify spending 60$ on it so I'm passing on Uncharted till I can get it for free like I did Lair.
Passing on Ratchet and Uncharted?

I'm disappointed. :lol

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah, only I'm not watching a fucking movie, I'm playing a video game.

I play games.

I watch movies.

Dave Jaffe for president!

I admit, I'm not a fan of exploration and platforming. :\

I'd rather have a run and gun game.
Did you skip the cutscenes in gears too?

You're what's wrong with gamers......
Go back to the NES/SNES era.
Hmmm, better yet go back to the Wii

(watch me get banned when other people say shit far worse than this, and they are even known to say shit like this.....its unfair)

Madman

Marconelly said:
Resistance doesn't have tearing, but it has framedrops. Not *that* often, but it does. In any case, I think you'd have to have a very specific tastes, to say the least, if you'd prefer Resistance graphics overall to those in Uncharted.
Resistance does have tearing. I have seen it myself.

All the complaints about Uncharted's technical issues are pretty much laughable. It has a small amount of tearing and slowdown, like many games.

mr_nothin said:

Yes. And it pissed off the Xbox guy I was playing with. :lol

Take a look in the mirror Mr. Big-pants.

A gamer wants to play video games. I'm doing great with a lot of PS2, PSP, and GBA games.

I apologize for derailing the thread, and am going to opt out for the rest of the heathen masses that cannot comprehend that watching is not playing.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yes. And it pissed off the Xbox guy I was playing with. :lol

Take a look in the mirror Mr. Big-pants.

A gamer wants to play video games. I'm doing great with a lot of PS2, PSP, and GBA games.

I apologize for derailing the thread, and am going to opt out for the rest of the heathen masses that cannot comprehend that watching is not playing.
Yep, exactly what's wrong with gaming/gamers.
If you cant even watch Gear's cutscenes (as short as they are) then something's wrong.

We've evolved from just playing games for fun.....its about the experience also.
(that's probably the best and worst way of putting it)

Core407

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Yep, exactly what's wrong with gaming/gamers.
If you cant even watch Gear's cutscenes (as short as they are) then something's wrong.

I can't watch the Gears cut scenes because they're so horribly done and make me feel like a retard for liking videogames. I feel like I'm watching the videogame equivalent of Santa with Muscles.

mr_nothin

Banned
Core407 said:
I can't watch the Gears cut scenes because they're so horribly done and make me feel like a retard for liking videogames.
lol you're taking it out of context D:

He's saying that he doesnt watch cutscenes at all for the most part, because he doesnt want to watch games, he wants to play them....

patsu

Actually, I haven't seen tearing in the Uncharted demo yet. I have played through about 8-10 times already. Neither have I seen tearing in Resistance too. So they are probably rare like the above poster mentioned above.

Core407

Banned
mr_nothin said:
lol you're taking it out of context D:

He's saying that he doesnt watch cutscenes at all for the most part, because he doesnt want to watch games, he wants to play them....

Well you still get to play them, but you have to watch first. :lol I thought the opening cut scene in the demo was pretty good but it seemed weird that Drake continued flying the plane and then all of sudden asked himself what he was doing and jumped out.

But yeah, that guy is missing the stories that compel people to keep playing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
mr_nothin said:

(watch me get banned when other people say shit far worse than this, and they are even known to say shit like this.....its unfair)

My policy is to just avoid responding to jackasses. Works pretty well.

Amir0x

Banned
mr_nothin said:

Some posting tips:

1. Saying "watch me get banned when people say shit far worse than this" does not somehow cast PROTECT from getting banned. Because, first you're acknowledging what you're saying is something that could be perceived as ban-worthy, and second because you're simultaneously trying to suggest we don't know when the good time to pull the trigger is.

2. IT'S UNFAIR. What are you, Anakin Skywalker during the shitty prequelogy? It's a forum, not a fucking democracy by any measure.

3. You're what's wrong with gamers.

4. Shut the fuck up.

5. UNCHARTED is gonna be so rad.

antiloop

Core407 said:
I can't watch the Gears cut scenes because they're so horribly done and make me feel like a retard for liking videogames. I feel like I'm watching the videogame equivalent of Santa with Muscles.

Still without cut-scenes the game would have been a none-game IMO. No story == not a (good) game.

That's my opinion. They could have done it all with text like the NES and SNES days but it wouldn't have been better...

We play games for different reasons I guess. Which is cool with me.

antiloop said:
Still without cut-scenes the game would have been a none-game IMO. No story == not a (good) game.

That's my opinion. They could have done it all with text like the NES and SNES days but it wouldn't have been better...

We play games for different reasons I guess. Which is cool with me.

I think Gears could have had really cool cutscenes if the script was up to par with action flicks like Predator or Aliens. They went for the ''wisecracking badasses kicking ass'' thing, which was commendable, but none of the lines are good.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I know. But the keyword is "some", and that's why I said to have very specific tastes. The tearing is a frame-drop "method of choice" for developers precisely because most people see it less / care less about it than for the full frame drops. Smoothness of motion matters more because of brain's memory-based image building.

In Uncharted they even made sure that the image never tears in the middle, but only on top/bottom of the image btw.
I've only ever seen tearing when I spin the camera around...which is fine. Never any other time, I don't see a frame drop either. And when this is the best looking game on any console - I don't give a flying fuck.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
What's your entry price these days for a PS3?

Well, I was set to get it at $399.99. That was my entry price.

Then, the $399.99 PS3 removed all BC and shit... so now with the prospect of no PS2 BC, it has moved from that price to "on indefinite hold."

VonGak!

Banned
Are there any play-through videos featuring this tearing?

I've only seen one full (the entire demo being played from A to B) video and it didn't have any nor do the screen shots I've seen.

Raist

Banned
I've spotted frame drops in uncharted, maybe.. twice. And very minor ones. Given the quality of the gfx, it's really a huge performance IMO.
But, yeah, some people will just scream "ZOMG GAME IS RUINED" because they had a 5fps drop twice.

VonGak! said:
Are there any play-through videos featuring this tearing?

Dot50cal posted a video a while ago in the demo thread. It was FULL of tearing. At this point the demo wasn't working on PAL machines and I was like "holy shit, the tearing is terrible :/" Having played the game now, it's nowhere near this level, so I believe it comes from the capture and not the game itself.

Dizzan

MINI Member
hey guys, about the MINOR tearing and very minor frame drops:

WHO GIVES A FUCK?!?!?

It's so fucking sad to see you guys bitching about this issue. It's a fucking game, an awesome, fucking game, and this nitpicking makes me want to punch myself in the face.

deepbrown

I suggest said complainers start trying to make games instead of talking about them. Uncharted's framerate is nigh on perfect...and considering the MAJORITY of the gaming world don't even notice it, let alone know what it is...well done to ND for actually making the effort to basically eliminate it completely.

I'm having just as much fun with the demo as I would if there wasn't slight tearing when I spin round the camera. Maybe even more, because I'm in the knowledge that they didn't feel they had to take things out just to pleas a minority in their perfectionism.

Framerate looks worse in AC by quite a stretch as well.

dante786

Banned
deepbrown said:
I suggest said complainers start trying to make games instead of talking about them. Uncharted's framerate is nigh on perfect...and considering the MAJORITY of the gaming world don't even notice it, let alone know what it is...well done to ND for actually making the effort to basically eliminate it completely.

I'm having just as much fun with the demo as I would if there wasn't slight tearing when I spin round the camera. Maybe even more, because I'm in the knowledge that they didn't feel they had to take things out just to pleas a minority in their perfectionism.

Framerate looks worse in AC by quite a stretch as well.

I'm really loving the uncharted demo, and I'm certainly going to be buying the game, but ripping on people for valid complaints is dogshit guys...stop it.

Some people in here claiming the game is ruined or its a huge dissappointment are also clearly full of shit, but the fact is there IS tearing. It exists, deal with it. Its not an issue for a lot of people, and thats awesome, for some, its very distracting and even disorienting.

Evillore had a thread just the other day about how hes had to stop playing GOWII because of screen tearing. I for one am not bothered by it all that much, but it very visibly does exist, and I wish it didn't. I'm not going to say it ruins the experience or I'm not getting the game because of it....but to try to argue that the game is somehow MORE enjoyable because of a technical flaw? That shit is laughable.

I LOVE halo 3, but the jaggies in the game annoy the fuck out of me. Do they make it less awesome? Do I not enjoy the game because of them? NO, of course not, but naturally I would rather they not be there.

Uncharted is still barrells of fun, and the graphics are breathtaking, but the screen tearing is there, and it is annoying to some of us. While the issue certainly isn't gamebreaking, ripping on people who voice it as a rational concern is really uncalled for.

With all that bullshit out of the way, the game itself is fantastic, and its certainly one of the best looking games I've seen, screen tearing aside, probably the most visually impressive console game for me.

AAK

Amir0x said:

Then, the $399.99 PS3 removed all BC and shit... so now with the prospect of no PS2 BC, it has moved from that price to "on indefinite hold."

No way! you don't have a PS2 either?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Amir0x said:

eBay auction for $399 60 GB PS3

This isn't my auction, but seems there's a good number of 60 GB PS3s for auction at $399 buy it nows. Just...trying to help if BC is the deal breaker.

antiloop

dante786 said:
I'm really loving the uncharted demo, and I'm certainly going to be buying the game, but ripping on people for valid complaints is dogshit guys...stop it.

Some people in here claiming the game is ruined or its a huge dissappointment are also clearly full of shit, but the fact is there IS tearing. It exists, deal with it. Its not an issue for a lot of people, and thats awesome, for some, its very distracting and even disorienting.

Evillore had a thread just the other day about how hes had to stop playing GOWII because of screen tearing. I for one am not bothered by it all that much, but it very visibly does exist, and I wish it didn't. I'm not going to say it ruins the experience or I'm not getting the game because of it....but to try to argue that the game is somehow MORE enjoyable because of a technical flaw? That shit is laughable.

I LOVE halo 3, but the jaggies in the game annoy the fuck out of me. Do they make it less awesome? Do I not enjoy the game because of them? NO, of course not, but naturally I would rather they not be there.

Uncharted is still barrells of fun, and the graphics are breathtaking, but the screen tearing is there, and it is annoying to some of us. While the issue certainly isn't gamebreaking, ripping on people who voice it as a rational concern is really uncalled for.

With all that bullshit out of the way, the game itself is fantastic, and its certainly one of the best looking games I've seen, screen tearing aside, probably the most visually impressive console game for me.

not-my-problem.bmp

Amir0x

Banned
Kintaro, seems like a good idea to keep my eye on the auctions. Won't have $399.99 to spend by the 15th, but I can definitely get that money up by the end of the month. I need an ebay account, though, I never buy from there 'cause I hate shady people. I think I made one ages ago, but I never used it.

Shins said:
Were you planning to sell it?

Yes.

Top Bottom