• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

Oh yeah, I think I remember that scene. Why does anyone think he might be Aegon?

because aegon will likely land in dorne and gain martell support.

and when they cast trystane, who was I think only mentioned and never actually appeared in the books, it seemed likely he would take aegons place in some capacity.

duckroll

Oh I see what's going on. The speculation is that since they cut Aegon, Quentyn, and Arianne from the show, they might be combining all of it into the Dorne storyline with Doran's plan being to use Trystane to actually court and marry Myrcella and then make a claim? That does make sense, and is in line with what the show tends to do with compressing stuff, sometimes with clumsy results.

bengraven

After whatever happens with Myrcella, I think Doran will have a scene in episode 10 where he's like "you don't need to worry about marrying a princess, my son. You can marry a queen."

Cut to final scene of Dany in the air, we slowly reveal she's on Drogon, who roars. CREDITS.

Moff

After whatever happens with Myrcella, I think Doran will have a scene in episode 10 where he's like "you don't need to worry about marrying a princess, my son. You can marry a queen."

Cut to final scene of Dany in the air, we slowly reveal she's on Drogon, who roars. CREDITS.

that's my guess as well, but I think trystane will have fallen in love with myrcella by then to add some teenage romance drama.
but in the end he will marry dany and die, like faegon.

NeoGiff

I'm so sick of the whole "dragon screeches/roars, cut to black" schtick.

Do something original, for goodness sake.

bengraven

that's my guess as well, but I think trystane will have fallen in love with myrcella by then to add some teenage romance drama.
but in the end he will marry dany and die, like faegon.

Maybe, but you do bring up a good point. Will Dany marry again? There hasn't even been talk of it yet, though the second Mr. Fighting Pits is revealed in Dance it's already all about how he wants to marry her. No talk at all on the show.

Maybe without Barristan there she'll feel vulnerable. But then again, she's got Daario.

Damn, I'm glad I kept with this series as we get into this territory instead of bailing - it's making the anticipation for each episode more exciting.

I guess this is what being a tv viewer must feel. lol

I'm so sick of the whole "dragon screeches/roars, cut to black" schtick.

Do something original, for goodness sake.

I know, that's why my last line was the actual joke. :p

Maybe this season will end with a shot of Jon screaming.

Oh I see what's going on. The speculation is that since they cut Aegon, Quentyn, and Arianne from the show, they might be combining all of it into the Dorne storyline with Doran's plan being to use Trystane to actually court and marry Myrcella and then make a claim? That does make sense, and is in line with what the show tends to do with compressing stuff, sometimes with clumsy results.

Arianne was cut from the show?!

mvwmAf1.jpg

And I was wondering when she was going to appear... I am a sweet summer child

NeoGiff

I know, that's why my last line was the actual joke. :p

Maybe this season will end with a shot of Jon screaming.

Lol.

I can count FIVE off the top of my head. Season 1 finale, Season 2 finale (false ending before it cuts to Sam and co.), the end of the Dracarys episode, Season 3 finale, and the episode this season when Drogon flew off. There must be one from Season 4, too.

It's a joke, at this stage.

Ellarianne is the show's arianne

Fixed.

The problem is that D&D know how things end so at least I am paranoid when things are going different from books because I never know if they are changing due to convenience or if it's an actual spoiler. Like, for example, this Ramsay and Sansa thing... where did this come from? Is it really because D&D didn't want to cast Jeyne Poole or is it because the Eyrie plot fails in Winds of Winter and Sansa never marries Harry the Heir so he is completely irrelevant? Why Euron doesn't appears? Is it because he will fail in his plans to conquer Dany in the next books? I know it's crazy but for everything, like a death that doesn't occur in the books, I really don't know if they are anticipating something.

While the show will spoil book info, it is also taking different paths to the same or a similar end game. It does this to create a more interesting product. Sansa going to Winterfell works better than Sansa disappearing for a season, for instance. Jaime in Dorne allows the show to introduce new characters alongside a familiar face. Jon participating in a big battle gives the show an action beat. Whether these changes work or don't work is less important to whether they entertain TV viewers.

Sansa going to Winterfell in no way hints at whether she marries Harry over not in the book. The show is simply taking a different path.

Massa

So Jane Johnson (UK Editor) continues to talk shit about the show:

https://us.beamly.com/tv-news/2015/05/06/george-r-r-martins-editor-slams-game-thrones-deviating-books/

I really do think she needs to stop talking. It's one thing for random fans and critics to talk shit about the show, it's another when a person who represents Martin in some kind of professional or official capacity says shit. Like I said, if GRRM wants to say something about the changes he will until then be quiet and be happy he still lets you edit his work.

She's probably upset that someone is doing a better job of editing ADWD.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The problem is that D&D know how things end so at least I am paranoid when things are going different from books because I never know if they are changing due to convenience or if it's an actual spoiler. Like, for example, this Ramsay and Sansa thing... where did this come from? Is it really because D&D didn't want to cast Jeyne Poole or is it because the Eyrie plot fails in Winds of Winter and Sansa never marries Harry the Heir so he is completely irrelevant? Why Euron doesn't appears? Is it because he will fail in his plans to conquer Dany in the next books? I know it's crazy but for everything, like a death that doesn't occur in the books, I really don't know if they are anticipating something.

I think they could probably write a book on making game of thrones and the changes they had to made and the reasons behind them. It think it could very interesting. I would buy it.

Iksenpets

Banned

Yeah, I definitely think they will pair Dany's announcement that she's off to Westeros with Doran's reveal that Dorne is basically a massive fifth column waiting for her. Those two things will probably happen back to back. Then Trystane can lead the Dornish forces to do whatever Aegon is going to do in the book, and then meet whatever fate Aegon meets when Dany arrives.

She's probably upset that someone is doing a better job of editing ADWD.

Ok, I know we're all kind of harsh on the show right now after episode 4, but this is a pretty sick burn.

I think they could probably write a book on making game of thrones and the changes they had to made and the reasons behind them. It think it could very interesting. I would buy it.

I really hope when it's all over they're willing to talk about that stuff, because yeah it's be fascinating. And maybe once it's over they'd be more willing to admit which of their ideas they don't think really worked. I'd like to know what they wish they could have done differently, too.

Chuckie

While the show will spoil book info, it is also taking different paths to the same or a similar end game. It does this to create a more interesting product. Sansa going to Winterfell works better than Sansa disappearing for a season, for instance. Jaime in Dorne allows the show to introduce new characters alongside a familiar face. Jon participating in a big battle gives the show an action beat. Whether these changes work or don't work is less important to whether they entertain TV viewers.

Sansa going to Winterfell in no way hints at whether she marries Harry over not in the book. The show is simply taking a different path.

While you are right with the examples you give, the guy you quoted does have a point. The fact there is no Victarion/Euron might mean their whole storyline is 'useless' to the endgame. No (f)Aegon means he probably is indeed fake and won't really be a contender for the throne. No mention of Blackfyres at all means they also won't play a significant role in the future anymore.
So while Sansa, Jamie and Tyrion might take a different path to the same destination, things left out might mean they are of no real consequence at all.

Edit: I use the word 'might' too much.

Yeah, I really want to see their explanation for changing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa.

Iksenpets

Banned
While you are right with the examples you give, the guy you quoted does have a point. The fact there is no Victarion/Euron might mean their whole storyline is 'useless' to the endgame. No (f)Aegon means he probably is indeed fake and won't really be a contender for the throne. No mention of Blackfyres at all means they also won't play a significant role in the future anymore.
So while Sansa, Jamie and Tyrion might take a different path to the same destination, things left out might mean they are of no real consequence at all.

Edit: I use the word 'might' too much.

You don't really know how they're restructuring things to account for their omissions though. I think the Trystane/Aegon discussion is pretty revealing for that, since it shows you can conceivably cut a very important Aegon from the story, and there's a character who could take up most of his role. We're also seeing that with an element of Connington, his greyscale, being passed on to Jorah. Or look at something like Manderly, where he's cut and we can all pretty much see how the plot works without him, but no one would argue that he's not important to Dance. He's important to the tone of the story, even if the plot works without him. Euron... I'm less sure on. The books pretty clearly hype him up as very important to Dany, so it will be weird if he's cut, and there's no one set up as clearly to take his place as there is with Aegon, but I still think he could be a season 6 character.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Jaime in Dorne allows the show to introduce new characters alongside a familiar face.

Odd, that, considering all the new Dorne characters were introduced via Ellarianne and not Jaime. :p

I'd read it.

The fact there is no Victarion/Euron might mean their whole storyline is 'useless' to the endgame, etc.

It doesn't. All it means is that they are useless to the endgame of the show. I mean, if they had wanted to, they could have done a mega streamline of the storyline, cutting all characters besides Jon, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya - but just because they cut Sansa, Cersei, Robb, Jaime, Bran, etc. in this scenario doesn't mean they were useless to the endgame of the books.

You know I was thinking maybe it would have been better if Brienne had been sent to Dorne instead of Jamie for Mycella. She could have also lopped off all the Sand Snakes heads while she was there. Her and Bronn paired together would have been awesome.

bengraven

You know I was thinking maybe it would have been better if Brienne had been sent to Dorne instead of Jamie for Mycella. She could have also lopped off all the Sand Snakes heads while she was there. Her and Bronn paired together would have been awesome.

I think that would have been great, but like season 2 they need Jaime to do something and they've cut the riverlands out.

Yeah, I definitely think they will pair Dany's announcement that she's off to Westeros with Doran's reveal that Dorne is basically a massive fifth column waiting for her. Those two things will probably happen back to back. Then Trystane can lead the Dornish forces to do whatever Aegon is going to do in the book, and then meet whatever fate Aegon meets when Dany arrives.

I'm really hoping the last two seasons are Dany either on her way or making prep. This is one of my sore spots about the books - I want her in Westeros like now. I have a hard time believing we're just setting her up for one major battle. I don't want her to be this franchise's ghost army. I'd like skirmishes, her looking over a map with wooden figures (including three carved dragons), people currying favor with her, etc.

I feel like the books are going to be a retread of Stannis going to the wall: "and then dany arrived, wiping out the bad guys and then she was queen".

Lol.

I can count FIVE off the top of my head. Season 1 finale, Season 2 finale (false ending before it cuts to Sam and co.), the end of the Dracarys episode, Season 3 finale, and the episode this season when Drogon flew off. There must be one from Season 4, too.

It's a joke, at this stage.

Maybe to turn things up a bit they will have the dragons looking off contemplating into the west at sunset and then Dany stomps up to them and roars.

Speevy

Banned
I wish they hadn't wasted the Mhysa music on that stupid crowdsurfing nonsense.

Can you imagine that music being played over Dany sailing to Westeros?

EPIC AS FUCK

Iksenpets

Banned
I think that would have been great, but like season 2 they need Jaime to do something and they've cut the riverlands out.

I'm really hoping the last two seasons are Dany either on her way or making prep. This is one of my sore spots about the books - I want her in Westeros like now. I have a hard time believing we're just setting her up for one major battle. I don't want her to be this franchise's ghost army. I'd like skirmishes, her looking over a map with wooden figures (including three carved dragons), people currying favor with her, etc.

I feel like the books are going to be a retread of Stannis going to the wall: "and then dany arrived, wiping out the bad guys and then she was queen".

Maybe to turn things up a bit they will have the dragons looking off contemplating into the west at sunset and then Dany stomps up to them and roars.

I would guess Dany lands late in Winds/Season 6, and we get a whole final book/season with her war. And I doubt it'll be that simple when she gets there, since I'm pretty sure what we're building towards is a situation where she lands and no one wants her or trusts her.

You give this shit a beautiful death poster but not Barristan Selmy?

Poor Selmy. :( Maybe no one told the artist he's really dead.

Odds are very high, FWIW, that Dany visits Asshai after Meereen ("pass beneath the shadow" in prophecy and the seeming likelihood that she'll circumnavigate Planetos to reach Westeros). And I strongly suspect that in Asshai she's going to realize that she needs to fight the Others, not worry about conquering Westeros.

Odds are good that when she reaches Westeros she'll be jumping straight into the war against the Great Other, not into the petty Westerosi political conflict. That means she's gonna arrive REALLY late in the game.

Odds are very high, FWIW, that Dany visits Asshai after Meereen ("pass beneath the shadow" in prophecy and the seeming likelihood that she'll circumnavigate Planetos to reach Westeros). And I strongly suspect that in Asshai she's going to realize that she needs to fight the Others, not worry about conquering Westeros.

Odds are good that when she reaches Westeros she'll be jumping straight into the war against the Great Other, not into the petty Westerosi political conflict. That means she's gonna arrive REALLY late in the game.

Yeah I'm assuming that after so many books/seasons of TV that Dany straight conquering Westeros (either quickly or a prolonged takeover) could almost only feel underwhelming.

I agree that when Dany arrives in Westeros, it'll already have torn itself apart and winter will have taken its toll (I also thinking the show's version of House of the Undying's visions of Dany in the throne room).

foxtrot3d

Banned

Doubtful. I think GRRM said that he doesn't intend to explore Asshai and places far off like it preferring them to remain a mystery.

Speevy

Banned
So much for Red Wedding 2: Sansa's Revenge.

"My lady Sansa, I apologize about being raped and tortured by the son of the man who killed your brother. I've been drinking a lot lately and it seemed okay at the time. Anyway, have a nice life."

*teleports to Meereen*

Martin has said we might see Asshai in flashbacks (Melisandre?) but no POV will actually go there in the series. The last thing I want is another non Westeros stop for Dany.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The way the show goes with boat transportation Danerys will probably be in Westeros in one or two episodes. Also the boltons would be a force for years to come? I do not believe that for one bit.

Roose might be smart, and even Ramsay has this low cunning, but nobody in the North is outright loyal to the Boltons. Heck their reputation is that of gruesome mustache-twirling villains. Nobody wants people like that governing over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom