• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

At least one of the Boltons has to be dead by the end of the season. And I can see Brienne getting offed. The question I usually ask is how does each death move the story forward? But at this point it seems like D&D are just killing characters to lower the amount of cast members.

bengraven

Game of Thrones cast on the Simpsons?

Carice von Houten just tweeted this a few hours ago:

ez8ryUs.png

I would guess Dany lands late in Winds/Season 6, and we get a whole final book/season with her war. And I doubt it'll be that simple when she gets there, since I'm pretty sure what we're building towards is a situation where she lands and no one wants her or trusts her.

That's why you would think they need more time than one season, but I could be wrong.

Doubtful. I think GRRM said that he doesn't intend to explore Asshai and places far off like it preferring them to remain a mystery.

Martin has said we might see Asshai in flashbacks (Melisandre?) but no POV will actually go there in the series. The last thing I want is another non Westeros stop for Dany.

Yeah, there could be another interpretation of the "go east to go west". Didn't she go east already? From the Dothraki Sea to the Red Waste to Qarth is all EAST.

Patriots7

Yeah, I definitely think they will pair Dany's announcement that she's off to Westeros with Doran's reveal that Dorne is basically a massive fifth column waiting for her. Those two things will probably happen back to back. Then Trystane can lead the Dornish forces to do whatever Aegon is going to do in the book, and then meet whatever fate Aegon meets when Dany arrives.
I feel like Trystane isn't going to replace Aegon, more than likely he'll be in a love triangle with Myrcella.

RIP Sansa.

I'd love it if she goes back to the Vale next season. What a waste of time this would all have been.

duckroll

C'mon, are people really trying to read into an offhand comment by an actor about the characters? He's not going to spoil anything in an interview. He was basically asked "how badass are these bad dudes?" and he said "sooooooo badass, fucking badass!" nothing more.

Lothar

Banned
What makes me think Stannis will die unfortunately is how Littlefinger was so confident he was going to win against Ramsey. In poorly written TV shows, that usually translates to meaning the opposite will happen.

Brakke

Banned
C'mon, are people really trying to read into an offhand comment by an actor about the characters? He's not going to spoil anything in an interview. He was basically asked "how badass are these bad dudes?" and he said "sooooooo badass, fucking badass!" nothing more.

It's the end of the week. People get delirious for fresh news early asTuesday, of course we're lunatics by Saturday.

bengraven

What makes me think Stannis will die unfortunately is how Littlefinger was so confident he was going to win against Ramsey. In poorly written TV shows, that usually translates to meaning the opposite will happen.

What makes you think that?

Fk0pgmu.png

ZYxKw01.jpg

kX2Jddj.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
At least one of the Boltons has to be dead by the end of the season. And I can see Brienne getting offed. The question I usually ask is how does each death move the story forward? But at this point it seems like D&D are just killing characters to lower the amount of cast members.
Well Barristan dying does make sense in a way, because it will probably convince Dany to marry Hizdar/Open the fighting pits.

At this point Boltons have nothing to defend themselves. Unless that changes, Stannis is not dying to in the battle against Boltons.

Now, Brienne killing Stannis is the most plausible thing that can happen.

BUT

It is also possible that Brienne meets up with Sansa again and Sansa sends her to get Rickon/Bran. Theon will tell her that Rickon/Bran are still alive. Brienne pursues them and realizes Bran's trail is gone cold while Rickon will be easily retrievable. That then resolves the issue of needing Davos for Rickon and the Northern plot missing from the series.

Marz

This series (TV show especially) should have had a bit of a prologue. Maybe show a bit of the battle at the trident ala LOTR with Rhaegars rubies being scattered as he's struck down by Robert, show Tywin sacking Kings Landing, Jamie killing Aerys and Ned Stark finding him sitting on the Iron Throne, the Mountain killing Elia and her children, Dany and Viserys escaping, Maybe some of Stannis smashing the Ironborn fleet and The on being taken as a hostage etc.

Would have provided a lot of context and world building. Instead you have all of these forced name drops of history that people have no attachment to.

This series (TV show especially) should have had a bit of a prologue. Maybe show a bit of the battle at the trident ala LOTR with Rhaegars rubies being scattered as he's struck down by Robert, show Tywin sacking Kings Landing, Jamie killing Aerys and Ned Stark finding him sitting on the Iron Throne, the Mountain killing Elia and her children, Dany and Viserys escaping, Maybe some of Stannis smashing the Ironborn fleet and The on being taken as a hostage etc.

Would have provided a lot of context and world building. Instead you have all of these forced name drops of history that people have no attachment to.

You have to remember that the show really didn't become the success it has found until Ned's death. GoT's initial ratings weren't the runaway success it has right now.

A prologue would have been a terrible idea IMO. It would hurl too many names at the audience, and many of the names wouldn't really play a role in S1 (Stannis for instance). Giving out bits of info piecemeal in the present was ultimately the right decision. Yes audiences miss a variety of info, but I just don't think that's avoidable. The goal should be to mitigate it and hand info out here or there, and reinforce info; for instance Jaime and Cersei being brother/sister is mentioned multiple times in the pilot episode, you quickly realize Ned and Robert are good friends, the segue between Robert's "not all of them" comment and Dany's first appearance works to establish the Targaryens, etc.

The LOTR prologue is very simple. The only names brought up are Bilbo Baggins (who has a prominent role in the beginning of the film), Gollum (next film), and Isildur (lore).

Moff

I think they could have made a non-confusing prologue showing the power of the targaryen dynasty and how the great houses have risen against the one mad king, the names stark, baratheon and targaryen are very prominent in the first season.
we know they filmed some scenes, how aerys burned brandon at least, who knows why they decided to not show it.

Lothar

Banned

No prologue is needed because the first episode was perfect, but the story would be far more enjoyable and easier for people to understand if they were flashbacks. Just like the one sole flashback this season wasn't anything spectacular but it was far better than having Cersei tell someone a story about it. Sean Bean even said he wanted to come back and make a cameo appearance. What are they waiting for?

Enosh

what makes me think Stannis is going to die is that they are portraying him as an actual human being this season which is a big departure and means something is about to happen ^^

yes exaggerated quite a bit here, but he does seem a lot more sympathetic than he used to be portrayed

No prologue is needed because the first episode was perfect, but the story would be far more enjoyable and easier for people to understand if they were flashbacks. Just like the one sole flashback this season wasn't anything spectacular but it was far better than having Cersei tell someone a story about it. Sean Bean even said he wanted to come back and made cameo appearance. What are they waiting for?

For the Jon Snow revelation. That would be perfect time for a flashback

T-Rex.

Banned
what makes me think Stannis is going to die is that they are portraying him as an actual human being this season which is a big departure and means something is about to happen ^^
That's my worry as well. Before this season they just completely got the character wrong and messed up a lot of his key moments so now that they're making him more likeable (for non-book readers) it does make you question why.

Stannis should be fine for a bit - and it would make sense if Alfie Allen is talking about the Boltons still be around next season, because that would be lining up with the show not having any big spoilers from TWoW. We still haven't seen Stannis vs. The Boltons in the books, and there wouldn't be the budget for Hardhome, Daznak's Pit and a huge northern battle in one season.

I'm also with those who think that Brienne's Oh Where Oath Art Thou/LSH plot gets semi-transferred to Stannis, as it's a lot more unexpected than her killing him, plus lots of drama to be had. (If they're telegraphing a more likeable Stannis to die to the audience, it becomes all the more shocking when they get the Ides of the Watch instead.)

For what it's potentially worth, Stephen Dillane's schedule seems to be working around Thrones filming again.

That's my worry as well. Before this season they just completely got the character wrong and messed up a lot of his key moments so now that they're making him more likeable (for non-book readers) it does make you question why.

Because Stannis has risen in importance and prominence at this point in the story? Splitting the bulk of Storm content across two seasons was absolutely the right decision, but it did provide some challenges to certain arcs. Stannis was one of those, his actions during Storm are pretty much lick his wounds for a bit and then head to The Wall.

Marz

A prologue would have been a terrible idea IMO. It would hurl too many names at the audience, and many of the names wouldn't really play a role in S1 (Stannis for instance). Giving out bits of info piecemeal in the present was ultimately the right decision. Yes audiences miss a variety of info, but I just don't think that's avoidable. The goal should be to mitigate it and hand info out here or there, and reinforce info; for instance Jaime and Cersei being brother/sister is mentioned multiple times in the pilot episode, you quickly realize Ned and Robert are good friends, the segue between Robert's "not all of them" comment and Dany's first appearance works to establish the Targaryens, etc.

The LOTR prologue is very simple. The only names brought up are Bilbo Baggins (who has a prominent role in the beginning of the film), Gollum (next film), and Isildur (lore).

This show already hurls too many names at the audience.

I think showing a tiny glimpse of the Mad King and Rhaegar is better than "your dad was mad" "your brother loved to sing" randomly.

Can anyone tell me the policy on discussing information posted on dedicated spoiler websites (i.e set reports or pictures, 'insider' info)? Is it considered an unauthorized leak, and therefore a bannable offense or is it ok to discuss if properly spoiler tagged?

Iksenpets

Banned
This show already hurls too many names at the audience.

I think showing a tiny glimpse of the Mad King and Rhaegar is better than "your dad was mad" "your brother loved to sing" randomly.

I don't think a prologue would've helped much with that though. Especially when the first episode is already getting viewers aquainted to the idea that they're going to be jumping back and forth from the Winterfell plot to Dany with only very tenuous connection between them, adding in another cut through time for characters they'll never see again would only make it more confusing. Plus, one of the strengths of the story in the books is how the past is slowly and with a lot of uncertainty revealed. Concretely showing it would spoil some of that. Sure, there are some confused viewers, but that's inevitable. Reading the unsullied thread it's pretty clear that most are able to piece together the meaning of it all.

Also, I had cause to re watch episode 4 last night, and for all the hate we've given the spear toss shot, I think the random "We have a problem" IMMEDIATE JUMP CUT TO A BUCKET BEING WHIPPED OFF A HEAD was just as bad. Like the director really has an issue with any sort of transition shots or something.

Can anyone tell me the policy on discussing information posted on dedicated spoiler websites (i.e set reports or pictures, 'insider' info)? Is it considered an unauthorized leak, and therefore a bannable offense or is it ok to discuss if properly spoiler tagged?

The only thing that's bannable is info that only could have been obtained through piracy, like knowledge of the first four episodes was after the leaks. I think anything that's out there now is fair game, so long as you spoiler tag and warn people what's in there.

The only thing that's bannable is info that only could have been obtained through piracy, like knowledge of the first four episodes was after the leaks. I think anything that's out there now is fair game, so long as you spoiler tag and warn people what's in there.

Cool. The source is certainly not from any illegally obtained material so here's hoping it's ok. Fetch a block if it's not.

First is details regarding the Sansa/Ramsay marriage:

Episode 6, airing on May 17, is the episode with the Sansa (Sophie Turner) and Ramsay marriage. What we didn’t reveal back in February since it’d spoil who Sansa was going to marry was that Myranda helps her take a bath before the wedding. Then for the sex scene, Ramsay forces Theon to stay and watch as he deflowers Sansa. Apparently the camera is mostly focused on Theon’s reaction.

Episode 7, very minor. Plump, salmon pole hype?!

Episode 7, airing on May 23, has the Gilly (Hannah Murray) and Samwell sex scene.

Another episode 7 tidbit with regards to the Dorne plot:

Tyene Sand (Rosabell Laurenti Sellers) is also supposed to get naked as she is talking to Bronn in prison.

Source is some weird site apparently dedicated to nude scenes in upcoming TV shows (because there's a demand for that sort of thing I guess?) but it seems legit as the site has been dead on with their 'leaks' in the past.

I mostly wanted to post this because the implications of that first spoiler take Sansa's story entirely off the rails and is no doubt going to cause a lot of turbulence in the fandom.

Speevy

Banned
I can see whatever they're planning for the Bolton/Stannis storyline being wrapped up in season 5.

If they're going for a big surprise, they could have Littlefinger get killed before he can rescue Sansa, which would make Roose and Ramsay the bigbads in season 6.

Jacob

Source is some weird site apparently dedicated to nude scenes in upcoming TV shows (because there's a demand for that sort of thing I guess?) but it seems legit as the site has been dead on with their 'leaks' in the past.

You guess, eh...?

PfMkPhV.gif

Interesting info if true, though.

NeoGiff

Didn't we go over that stuff a few pages back? Hence me bringing up that Rosabell is younger than Sophie Turner, and how weird that is when you think about them, their characters and their scenes.

Alright so
Dany opens the pits, Jon teams up with Tormund, Brienne heads North, stuff with Ramsay, Reek, Myranda, and Sansa, and probably some brief Tyrion/Jorah and King's Landing.

Tyrion/Jorah could have more to it since they'll be heading through Valyria tonight. Any takers on Jorah getting stoned?

Is there actually a better candidate for the throne at the end than Sansa? Littlefinger and Stannis are going to die, Jon is all about that honor and will never leave the Night's Watch, Dany is a terrible ruler who can't even have any heirs, and Tyrion (at least show Tyrion) would be super cliche. I always hear people talk about her ruling the North but that wouldn't be interesting at all.

Zolo

Is there actually a better candidate for the throne at the end than Sansa? Littlefinger and Stannis are going to die, Jon is all about that honor and will never leave the Night's Watch, Dany is a terrible ruler who can't even have any heirs, and Tyrion (at least show Tyrion) would be super cliche. I always hear people talk about her ruling the North but that wouldn't be interesting at all.

We all know Queen Shireen will make the best ruler.

This is assuming this group of lands can fight back against the White Walkers.

The north will be the first land hit. Will probably happen a few episodes after Sansa becomes Wardeness of the North. So Martin for a few episodes can go, " see! good things do happen to good people in my show "

And then boom she is beheaded by some white walkers.

DAMNIT WHERE AM I. augh hate it when both threads are close together

sansa-on-throne.gif

Moff

with littlefingers endgame plan more of less clear now I think it's more possible than ever that sansa might actually end up on the throne.
although I believe no one will sit on it at the end

Would have been better to replace Danny scenes with Jaime and Bronn adventures now that Barry is dead and probably Grey Worm. Oh and more scenes for Stannis pls ;)

with littlefingers endgame plan more of less clear now I think it's more possible than ever that sansa might actually end up on the throne.
although I believe no one will sit on it at the end

Sorry for the double post but yep, my bet is 7 independent kingdoms and a burnt down red keep/kings landing at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom