• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Mel going with Stannis makes me think Stannis wins but only because the wife burns poor Shireen while he's not looking :/

I've seen this prediction several times, what does it mean? Or rather, what does burning Shireen do? I read all the books last year but clearly I must have missed a lot of things.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pretty good episode:

- Dany scenes were bad and felt rushed. How does randomly killing a family leader solve anything lol. What if the harpies aren't family leaders? Won't the members of that family want revenge for his death? Also marriage proposal out of fucking nowhere.

- Sam definitely has to go to Oldtown now. Even if we don't see it they need an excuse for him to get away from the wall when Jon gets "killed" since he's literally the only dude that wants to save the wildlings too. Also I'm guessing we'll get something with that Tarly/Targ connection that was dropped.

- While Littlefinger's scheme is incredibly stupid, I really like Sansa's storyline. Especially the Roose/Ramsay interactions.

- Missandei/Grey Worm literally the worst.

- The candle in the tower thing... I'm guessing that'll be the moment when Theon gets Sansa out of Winterfell?

- Also I'm guessing Jorah will last just long enough to accomplish something amazing with Dany. There's no other way!

1. Yep, rushed, but whatever it takes to speed up Mereen.
2.Yep, feels good. Oldtown, Citadel, more reading, Aemon's sick, Aemon worrying about the last Targaryen. Good good good.
3. Yep, there's no plot there, beyond making some interesting television between 2 plotlines that hadn't met before (Sansa and Bolton's Winterfell).
4. Guess it's a way to introduce more love and romance, but I find no reason to care for either of them.
5. I really feel that lady is a Ramsey Trap. Ramsey even mentioned The North Remembers line. Not liking that one bit. Don't think she's in the same messenger system as the old guy at the inn Brienne's at.

bengraven

Damn, Ramsay straight up played the psycho card early on Sansa.

Joffrey 2 she's thinking.

But then that cocky twist when Walda gives her announcement. "I'm very happy for you..."

Definitely a cool episode. The Valyria bit was pretty awesome. Stone Men, *shivers*.

Also, anyone else overthinking the line about the Children using Dragonglass? Makes me wonder about the WW and the Children's relationship.

The Children using dragonglass was in the books as well iirc. They certainly knew a lot more about the White Walkers than what people currently know, I gotta assume that knowledge will play a part.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've seen this prediction several times, what does it mean? Or rather, what does burning Shireen do? I read all the books last year but clearly I must have missed a lot of things.
It's what she wanted to do to Edric Storm in the books (and Gendry in the show) in order to wake the stone dragon.

LordCanti

Mel can cast spells via the burning of those with kings blood. Shireen has Stannis's blood so she's a prime candidate for the fires.

bengraven

Aw, remember how tender that scene was between Stannis and his daughter?

Ramsay and Roose - same fucking concept ("YOU ARE MY SON") but dry eyes...

bengraven

Shireen is a great kid. I have a bad feeling...

Also: "I hope you know what you're doing with these wildlings".

Wasn't it Stannis's idea in the books?

A few things:

- Brienne the Bard and Jorah Connington confirmed? Looks like it.

- I really don't like how Ramsay's totally-out-of-character relationship with a filler character is going to be central to the whole Sansa/Ramsay/Theon dynamic. Myranda going around Ramsay's back to get at Sansa means her name is already in the Death Note--a sacrificial lamb to showcase Ramsay's cruelty. Meh.

- So Walda's having a baby! Looks like Roose isn't stuck with Ramsay anymore. I don't buy his whole "you're my son" schtick, either, given how Ramsay is such a liability and is an upjumped bastard. He'll get rid of him when he gets the chance, just like he did with Robb.

- This episode showcased in pretty stark terms how totally out of her element Dany is in Mereen. Her Unsullied were worthless, Barristan is dead (leaving her to ask goddamn Missandei for advice?), and she dumped a wedding proposal at Hizdar's feet after threatening to kill him--and crucifying his father for a crime he didn't commit. This shit just isn't going to work.

- I wish they hadn't cut the part about Aegon V being a boy in many ways out of the "kill the boy" speech. Within that context, it was Aemon advising Jon the way he would advice someone in his own family; without it, it almost sounded like he was telling Jon to man up and leave him alone, LOL.

- Loved how the Stone Men and Valyria were handled.

- It's gonna be a blast seeing Littlefinger and Olenna back in King's Landing, getting their hands dirty with the politics of the capital. It looks like shit really hits the fan in terms of the whole Tyrell vs. Cersei tension. I cannot wait.

Great episode this week.

Euron

5. I really feel that lady is a Ramsey Trap. Ramsey even mentioned The North Remembers line. Not liking that one bit. Don't think she's in the same messenger system as the old guy at the inn Brienne's at.
I'm REALLY interested to see where this goes. The thought of it being a Ramsay trap somehow didn't cross my mind. Where are the other northern houses in all this? Are we going to see them during the wedding?

someday

Banned
I wonder how much of an impact will the series have on book sales...
I think the fact that they've cut a lot of big plots from the book will help book sales. You'll still need the books to get closure on a whole lot of stories that the series has left out.

And honestly, I never would have read the books if it weren't for the tv show. I'm primarily a show watcher but I'll still read the last books and still consider it the definitive ASOIAF/Game of Thrones story (especially if D&D follow the basic trajectory of Martin's story). But I'm enjoying the hell out of the show right now.

The Children using dragonglass was in the books as well iirc. They certainly knew a lot more about the White Walkers than what people currently know, I gotta assume that knowledge will play a part.

Yea, I'm remembering now that it was mentioned in the books. Considering how the show is going it seems like that knowledge will definitely play a part.

Van Owen

Banned
If that lady is a trap for Sansa and something bad happens to hear when she already has to marry Ramsay, it's going to be way too much doom and gloom. At that point Martin will have made the series and Stark snuff story.

Violater

I think the fact that they've cut a lot of big plots from the book will help book sales. You'll still need the books to get closure on a whole lot of stories that the series has left out.

And honestly, I never would have read the books if it weren't for the tv show. I'm primarily a show watcher but I'll still read the last books and still consider it the definitive ASOIAF/Game of Thrones story (especially if D&D follow the basic trajectory of Martin's story). But I'm enjoying the hell out of the show right now.

They've already caused sales to explode.

That may be because people want to know what happens next during seasons, I know that's what got me reading the books after the first season. Then oddly enough I did not read the first book because I pretty much knew what happened for the most part.

I guess this is why I wonder if I will be as interested to read the remaining books after the show has finished, which is certain to happen before the books are complete.

bengraven

Oh shit, they're doing the marriage!!! I was just thinking "well she arrested him and Barry's dead, so I'm assuming that subplot is gone".

Also, I'm almost not mad they changed the world geography to put Valyria there. The shots are gorgeous.

And it's awesome how you can see stone men in the first few shots in the background if you look closely.

RaidenZR

No arya again? how is arya going to miss 3 out of the first 5 episodes?

Yeah I hate this. And even though it's been good, Jon / The Wall has been in every episode thus far with significant screen time.

Give some of the plotlines a break too, ya know.

bengraven

Tyrion seeing Drogon made me smile. What a Jurassic Park like moment.

Then suddenly I realized something - cue their conversation about the Doom - this is the first time a dragon has flown over Valyria in centuries. I actually nearly teared up.

Then the background moved and whipped me out of that quick...

Patriots7

If that lady is a trap for Sansa and something bad happens to hear when she already has to marry Ramsay, it's going to be way too much doom and gloom. At that point Martin will have made the series and Stark snuff story.
D&D are all about that Sansa torture so probably.

I wonder if the books will even be that close to the show when all is said and done, except for some broad strokes. I guess Martin is free to change his mind along the way too.
I'd not be opposed to Martin changing the story. In fact, I hope the show doesn't prevent him from changing as he sees fit as he progresses with the last two books.

bengraven

I called it, I knew Jorah would become Connington... makes me sad though.

All Stannis team leaving together leaves me full of questions.

Yeah, I had a feeling it would happen, but kept hoping not. I knew they HAD to do it, though and it was obvious. (though for a second when he was staring out to sea I was expecting him to suddenly mutter "slavers...") and show pirates coming at them.

And as for Stannis, yes, I think the "Mel resurrects Jon" thing may be for naught.

Allforce

So basically now in the next books we're reading for the inevitable reveal of fAegon and whatever fate becomes of all those involved.

What other ramifications does that whole plot being established and obviously going towards being a fraud send through the books? Varys set it all up as a feint to lure Daenerys to Westeros? Lot of moving parts that tie into that storyline so far.

Im sure I'm forgetting some easy answer that explains it all but it's fun to speculate now that the show is sort of moving ahead with things we didn't have answers to before.

I'm REALLY interested to see where this goes. The thought of it being a Ramsay trap somehow didn't cross my mind. Where are the other northern houses in all this? Are we going to see them during the wedding?

What's the trap though? She lights a candle and then Ramsay knows that she feels like she is in trouble?

Pretty sure Ramsay knows that Sansa isn't a fan of his family.

So I haven't watched this since the third season, but I've read all the books. I just tuned in tonight, and there were quite a few differences from what I remember in the books.

So are the books and tv series officially diverging at this point? I wouldn't be surprised if they have similarities or similar plot points moving forward, but it seems pretty different right now.

I genuinely laughed out loud at the Season 2 throwback with King Stannis, the One True King of Westeros and Grammar. "Fewer." "What?" "Nothing."

Seriously, the scene between Sam/Gilly/Stannis was 'how much plot relevant info-dump can we get in one scene?' It's nice to see what plot points will be relevant in the books.
1. Sam, the Citadel and Oldtown.
2. Possibly seeing Randyll Tarly, mentioning his military prowess.
3. The Dragonglass off Dragonstone. I was wondering about this the other day, it's nice to see that it is plot relevant. In the books Stannis had sent word for his men to Minecraft it at this point, TV Stannis clearly has not. (Another reason why I think Stannis will be okay for a bit - if he dies by the end of the season, how do they get enough Dragonglass to the North to fight the White Walkers?) Special mention of Stannis' ships, too, he'll need them back.
4. Stannis starting to get an understanding of the White Walkers.

The greyscale plot must end up being relevant to the King's Landing etc, if Jorah's taken Connington's plotline.

I'm absolutely baffled about Mel/Shireen/Selyse leaving with Stannis, curious to see how it plays out with Jon. For The Watch has to happen in some form, because they're telegraphing it too much. (No, Edd, no! Not you, too!)

I don't think we'll be getting the Battle of Winterfell this season, because Ep. 8 is Hardhome and Ep. 9, with a title of 'The Dance of Dragons' has to be Daznak's Pit. Not a ton of budget for much of a battle. Stannis does have some kind of skirmish (House Baratheon video with Stannis with a bloodied face), though, but I'm not sure if it's with the Greyjoys or the Boltons.

So I haven't watched this since the third season, but I've read all the books. I just tuned in tonight, and there were quite a few differences from what I remember in the books.

So are the books and tv series officially diverging at this point? I wouldn't be surprised if they have similarities or similar plot points moving forward, but it seems pretty different right now.

Yeah they had to cut a lot of characters out of the show so it's quite different.

cj_iwakura

- It's gonna be a blast seeing Littlefinger and Olenna back in King's Landing, getting their hands dirty with the politics of the capital. It looks like shit really hits the fan in terms of the whole Tyrell vs. Cersei tension. I cannot wait.

Great episode this week.

Next episode will be nuts, can't wait.

What was it that Stannis said when he was watching Jon's speech?

Someone in the Night's Watch said 'less', Stannis said 'fewer'.

Tyrion seeing Drogon made me smile. What a Jurassic Park like moment.

Then suddenly I realized something - cue their conversation about the Doom - this is the first time a dragon has flown over Valyria in centuries. I actually nearly teared up.

Then the background moved and whipped me out of that quick...

I took it as Drogon's been flying around there, perhaps even roosting there for whatever reason. A call to return home if you will.

Dysun

Daenerys plot is even worse than the books, sucks to see Jorah be the stand in for JonCon and whatever grayscale outbreak is coming
Everything in the North is good

Not much else to this ep

Yeah they had to cut a lot of characters out of the show so it's quite different.

Thanks, I also found these doing a search:

Mance is really dead. Aegon is out.

There's no sense worrying about "book spoilers," the show is diverging so much it's impossible to make any judgment on the books from it. Mance and for certain Aegon both have important roles to play still. Not to mention Lady Stoneheart.

Plot wise it is diverging quite a bit, character wise its been quite different for awhile.

Cool to see that things are becoming significantly different now. I need to go back and catch up on the tv series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom