• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I also want to point out I dislike Lena Heady's performance this season. She seems to whisper all of her lines and portrays Cercei as being much more reserved and controlled. In S2 she played the part perfectly, we should be seeing more of that now.

The outrage started when the plot was revealed. People defending it suggested Sansa would maintain a degree of agency and get her revenge. As it is she's just raped and waiting to be rescued by Theon or Brienne. After that she can go back to being a pawn for Littlefinger or Stannis while she raises her new baby.

I get that, and think that's a fair point. I would say, however that we don't know that she's just waiting to get rescued, if she's to get revenge it wasn't going to be on her wedding night, that was always only going to go one way. If she doesn't get any kind of revenge then yeah, I'll be severely disappointed too.

Catdaddy

0hcquE8.gif

Damn this is great..

So...Jaime/Bronn just joined a caravan and walk right into the city, and then run off?? I swear I did a mission like that in one of the Assassin's Creed games.

I like those to, but damn... and that fight... whoever linked the Benny Hill music nailed it...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
BTW, I'm sure this was brought up, but are we all assuming that the dagger that Bronn was grazed with was poisoned? I feel like why even bother showing it if it's not gonna end up meaning something, so that seems like the most logical bet. I don't want Bronn to die though :(

Also what revenge do we expect Sansa to get this season? Do we expect the Battle of Winter fell to be resolved this season?

I could see her killing Ramsay during the battle/siege. Push him out the same window Bran fell out of or some shit, that would be a hoot.

bengraven

I also want to point out I dislike Lena Heady's performance this season. She seems to whisper all of her lines and portrays Cercei as being much more reserved and controlled. In S2 she played the part perfectly, we should be seeing more of that now.

She's on a power trip.

She plays Cersei with her highs and lows and right now she's on a high.

First half of Season 1 - low (because of Robert)
Second half of Season 1 - high (because of Joffrey)
Season 2 - low (because of Tyrion)
Season 3 - high (because of Tywin)
Season 4 - low (because of Tywin)
Season 5 - high (because no more Tyrion or Tywin)

She's boring when she's in power. She needs a challenge.

Would've been great for Heady if they kept Cercei's story line from the books. Although, I feel like a lot of the actors have been pretty whatever this season. Only person that comes to mine is Iwan Rheon.

Kyougar

Eff it.

This was the worst Episode of the Series.

Only the Arya Scene was good
Alfie Allen best actor.

- the sandsnakes are hoorible
- Bronn and Jaimes "infiltration" into the water gardens is horrible, first they got into the private palace of the ruler of Dorne (who hides his physical condition here) with no effort and then Jaime is like "hey my daughter, err niece, we have to go. Fucking stupid! Maybe wait until the evening and she is alone?
- Dwarf Cock is now valuable? Dwarfs are considered lucky and give a good coin ALIVE on slave auctions. D&D just wanted some idiotic comedy in that scene
- man word travels fast in Planetos. But Cersei is the only one who is out of the loop
- Littlefingers Plan is beyond stupid. What will Sansa say when he gets back to her? "Hey Uncle Baelish, I played the part, He raped me like no tomorrow, but I was strong inside!" *smh*
- maybe the kingsguard degenerated under Lannister rule, but Barristan would have cut down those fools in seconds if they tried to take the queen away
- Dorne sure is looking like a desert/Spain type country, with all this green landscape that looks like ireland. It sure as hell didnt look like they were baking under Dornish heat.

BTW, I'm sure this was brought up, but are we all assuming that the dagger that Bronn was grazed with was poisoned? I feel like why even bother showing it if it's not gonna end up meaning something, so that seems like the most logical bet. I don't want Bronn to die though :(

I could see her killing Ramsay during the battle/siege. Push him out the same window Bran fell out of or some shit, that would be a hoot.

Yeah, Bronn dying from that dagger is gonna suck

bengraven

Bronn surviving poison is going to rock.

"Takes more than a bit of junk in your blood to stop meh. You ever been to a Pentoshi whorehouse? One night with one of them ladies and you're pissin' purple blood for weeks...up on the rooooof..."

That account followed me.

Did your Twitter posts rival his/hers? There's only room for one person to hate on this show and it's Angry GOT Fan. :p

NeoGiff

I remarked in the Reddit thread that they should credit you...you made it right? lol

GAF -> REDDIT -> GAF

Ah, I don't mind about not being given the credit. As long as people can have a bit of a laugh and not endlessly complain, that's the main thing. And yes, it's my favourite one since Face Tyrell's marvelous exit. I wonder what next week's offering will be...

bengraven

Ah, I don't mind about not being given the credit. As long as people can have a bit of a laugh and not endlessly complain, that's the main thing. And yes, it's my favourite one since Face Tyrell's marvelous exit. I wonder what next week's offering will be...

Sansa's happy dance with her pregnancy test?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Gee, I'm so glad D&D decided it would be great TV to place Sansa in this situation. Just what we wanted to see, her raped on her wedding night by the most sadistic character in asoiaf. Great fucking tv.

Makes revenge that much sweeter when it comes.

bengraven

Speaking of Angry GOT Fan.

http://angrygotfan.com/2015/05/18/game-of-thrones-embraces-shock-value-rape/

Short article. Pretty much agree with everything he said.

I take issue with this:

Then they cut to Theon to show his pain as if that’s what we all cared about.

If there seriously is one person who was more worried about Theon's state of mind than Sansa's, that person is probably locked away in a mental ward somewhere. No one was sympathizing with him. They cut to him because yes, he's in torment and didn't want to see it, but he was reflecting her own terror. So we didn't have to watch it, but showing it on his face to let us know it's as terrible as it sounds. Has nothing to do with his feelings except as a way of showing her feelings without having to actually show her.

bengraven

Seriously, guys, the Sand Snakes were bland, but the episode they were introduced in was worse than this. The entire episode besides them was much better than most this season.

I think the prolonged SS scene and SanSay's wedding night are going to shit all over the actual quality of the episode.

I blame the writing, actually. When it's high it's really fucking high but when it's low it's really fucking stupid...

This season is going to have the unexpected impact of making AFFC and ADWD fondly remembered books.

tumblr_mgxr40UJUb1rq41c0o2_250.gif

It just occurred to me, where was the Kingsguard (nameless show Oakheart I guess) they sent with Myrcella?

I take issue with this:

If there seriously is one person who was more worried about Theon's state of mind than Sansa's, that person is probably locked away in a mental ward somewhere. No one was sympathizing with him. They cut to him because yes, he's in torment and didn't want to see it, but he was reflecting her own terror. So we didn't have to watch it, but showing it on his face to let us know it's as terrible as it sounds. Has nothing to do with his feelings except as a way of showing her feelings without having to actually show her.

Yeah, this was how I took it too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
God dammit I have a buddy who is normally a reasonable, level-head and all around solid dude but he is arguing that it wasn't "really" rape. I feel like I am fully in crazy town trying to talk to him about how like "dude what the fuck are you even saying right now"

I take issue with this:

I actually think they did that in part to show Theon "breaking". Next episode he'll probably save Sansa or some shit.

I recall some people even saying that it looked like Theon was just going to freak out and just attack Ramsay right there. At least that's what it seemed like to me when I watched it last night.

bengraven

Yeah, this was how I took it too.

I felt zero sympathy for him and I think the author of that article probably has never met anyone that felt the same way. They're just stretching.

And this is a guy willing to forgive him for his murders at Winterfell in Season 2.

I actually think they did that in part to show Theon "breaking". Next episode he'll probably save Sansa or some shit.

You might be right about it pushing him over the edge, but I think he's breaking through anyway. Every time they meet you see a bit of him wanting to scream at her: "I didn't kill your brothers! Get away! He's a monster!".

The ending to last night's show was a new low point for this show. Before that it was the rape scene between Jamie and Cersei. Why do they have to bludgeon us with horrible behaviour from characters already shown to be morally bankrupt?

munchie64

Speaking of Angry GOT Fan.

http://angrygotfan.com/2015/05/18/game-of-thrones-embraces-shock-value-rape/

Short article. Pretty much agree with everything he said.
Now this just pisses me off. The stuff about Theon, but also the behind the scenes stuff.
Clearly HBO/D&D are evil/neckbeards/lovers of rape. Go up to them and ask them about that if it concerns you so much. But don't make up imaginary bad guys to blame for an obviously complicated problem.

If the rape scene sucks, talk about IT. Talk about how the show came to IT. Talk about how everyone involved came to IT. Don't talk about THEM.

Sorry, but this trend just disturbs me.

hoos30

I don't want to get banned again and I've posted a few times in the unsullied thread. I haven't made any plot comments. Is everything else cool? I've followed the instructions as per the original post but I think what I did the last couple times was expound on people's theories with what I was pretty sure was show stuff. Especially with these divergences are we free to go back and forth or should I just stick to this thread?

Makes sense but it felt like a more interesting accusation to level at her than perjury especially during that muted trial scene.

Just stay out of that thread. It is not difficult. They don't need your help.

I recall some people even saying that it looked like Theon was just going to freak out and just attack Ramsay right there. At least that's what it seemed like to me when I watched it last night.
Me too. God, if he had killed Ramsay there it would be this arc's redemption. I'd dare say it would be better than the books.

Now this just pisses me off. The stuff about Theon, but also the behind the scenes stuff.
Clearly HBO/D&D are evil/neckbeards/lovers of rape. Go up to them and ask them about that if it concerns you so much. But don't make up imaginary bad guys to blame for an obviously complicated problem.

If the rape scene sucks, talk about IT. Talk about how the show came to IT. Talk about how everyone involved came to IT. Don't talk about THEM.

Sorry, but this trend just disturbs me.

I mean, they did write it into the show. So not sure how you can not talk about them. But I agree with you about the whole D&D being "evil" and shit. I think they're just bad writers.

People keep repeating that Sansa scene was rape. Again: It wasn't rape. Do you just say that because it sounds worse and confirmed the issues you have with the show?

A lot of you don't understand how hard it is to make a TV show like Game of Thrones. To condense so much material in single episodes, that not only have to appeal to fans of the books but also to a broad audience that isn't as pedantic and high-handed as many of you are.

Has the show done everything right? No, far from it. I too think, that Dorne has been handled poorly, for example. But all in all D&D have done an very good job in not only adapting the convoluted source material, but also in creating new storylines that manage to keep established characters around while keeping the narrative accessible.

munchie64

I mean, they did write it into the show. So not sure how you can not talk about them. But I agree with you about the whole D&D being "evil" and shit. I think they're just bad writers.
I understand, that blog just pushed me over the edge a bit with the fake quotes.

Edit: The post above mine got me even more angry. I'm gonna leave for awhile. Sorry if I've pissed anyone off, this discussion will last awhile I feel.

Anoregon

People keep repeating that Sansa scene was rape. Again: It wasn't rape. Do you just say that because it sounds worse and confirmed the issues you have with the show?.

Yeah, no. That was 100% some rape. And I'm one of the folks who doesn't have a problem with the scene and found it to be a fairly expected event to happen given the circumstances.

People keep repeating that Sansa scene was rape. Again: It wasn't rape. Do you just say that because it sounds worse and confirmed the issues you have with the show?

Huh. I could have sworn it was.

I know there's a term meant to describe the act of forcing someone else to have sex with you that doesn't want to. What was that word?

Jag

Huh. I could have sworn it was.

I know there's a term meant to describe the act of forcing someone else to have sex with you that doesn't want to. What was that word?

I think Whoopee Goldberg called it "rape rape".

If watching that scene didn't make you think she was getting raped...well then, you may have some internal issues.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

A lot of you don't understand how hard it is to make a TV show like Game of Thrones. To condense so much material in single episodes, that not only have to appeal to fans of the books but also to a broad audience that isn't as pedantic and high-handed as many of you are.

Has the show done everything right? No, far from it. I too think, that Dorne has been handled poorly, for example. But all in all D&D have done an very good job in not only adapting the convoluted source material, but also in creating new storylines that manage to keep established characters around while keeping the narrative accessible.

You understand how hard it is to make a TV show but don't understand the definition of rape? Some nice priorities there.

You have got to be kidding me dude. There was coercion and implied threats from Ramsay all over that scene. She was mentally bullied into doing that.

AkuMifune

Banned
You understand how hard it is to make a TV show but don't understand the definition of rape? Some nice priorities there.

I understand he's getting at the fact that everyone, including Sansa, knew they had to "consummate" the marriage. I mean, it happens a dozen more times in the books that it has happened in the show...but no. There was nothing consensual about what happened.

I have no issue with it though. They got married, there was no way she was going to avoid what happened.

Grasshopper

Neo Member
I watched the episode just now, and it was like scaring awake when you are almost asleep.

Lets hope the book will be out soon
-.-"

Ithil

Did anyone complain when Drogo took Daney?
They were married as well right?

There was immense complaining because they altered Drogo to be considerably less gentle/understanding than he was in the books (where it was meant to be a surprise that he wasn't a total brute to her), and it harmed their later genuine loving relationship by having it start out rotten like that.

hoos30

I've never been one of those people who says "if it isn't 100% like the source material, then it sucks." I understand that these are adaptations, and certain changes must be made, for practicalities sake. And to be honest, it makes things more interesting sometimes.

However, THIS particular change was completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. You went too far there show.
We cannot say that until the season plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom