• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I understand he's getting at the fact that everyone, including Sansa, knew they had to "consummate" the marriage. I mean, it happens a dozen more times in the books that it has happened in the show...but no. There was nothing consensual about what happened.

I have no issue with it though. They got married, there was no way she was going to avoid what happened.

That is pretty much how I see it. Absolutely awful, 100% rape, but 100% inevitable.

People keep repeating that Sansa scene was rape. Again: It wasn't rape. Do you just say that because it sounds worse and confirmed the issues you have with the show?

Rokd9Nh.gif

I understand he's getting at the fact that everyone, including Sansa, knew they had to "consummate" the marriage. I mean, it happens a dozen more times in the books that it has happened in the show...but no. There was nothing consensual about what happened.

I have no issue with it though. They got married, there was no way she was going to avoid what happened.

Exactly how I feel

Corpsepyre

Banned
It wouldn't have been rape before R v R. However, ever since that case came up, in UK atleast, such an act would be considered rape, arguably.

Anyway, this is season 5, and I still see people weeping over characters getting raped, killed, and more. We're watching Game of Thrones, right?

Enjoyed the episode a lot. Arya's arc + Tyrion/Jorah and the last scene were the highlights. It's quite certain they're setting up Reek to snap and do something drastic sooner or later. Can't wait to see how it plays out. Dorne could use some work, however.

D&D have to be aware that the Sand Snakes stuff turned out really bad. In my head it went like this:

- People love Oberyn. People love that Dornish swagger. Let's go a bit over-the-top with these characters. Three sexy Spanish vipers getting into fights in sunny Seville, what could go wrong?
- Oh no, these actors are nowhere near as good as Pedro Pascal, now all this stuff just sounds cheesy.
- Oh no, these actors can't fight.
- Oh no, these breastplates have nipples on them.
- Oh no, we had to darken up the lighting in post so the breastplate nipples don't stick out as much.

Even before the fan reaction, there's no way they looked at those final cuts and went "Oh yeah, we nailed it."

I'm in the minority of people who don't really have a problem with the scene in the context of the show. But, come on- Sansa was raped. No way around that.

It wouldn't have been rape before R v R. However, ever since that case came up, in UK atleast, such an act would be considered rape, arguably.

The legality/criminality of such an act is dependent upon culture/region.

The moral implication, not so much. Forcing or coercing someone to have sexual relations against their will is rape. Whether they have any legal recourse afterward is incidental.

kirblar

D&D have to be aware that the Sand Snakes stuff turned out really bad. In my head it went like this:

- People love Oberyn. People love that Dornish swagger. Let's go a bit over-the-top with these characters. Three sexy Spanish vipers getting into fights in sunny Seville, what could go wrong?
- Oh no, these actors are nowhere near as good as Pedro Pascal, now all this stuff just sounds cheesy.
- Oh no, we had to darken up the lighting in post so the breastplate nipples don't stick out as much.

Even before the fan reaction, there's no way they looked at those final cuts and went "Oh yeah, we nailed it."
Dorne is almost certainly being minimized relative to pre-season expectations.

People keep repeating that Sansa scene was rape. Again: It wasn't rape. Do you just say that because it sounds worse and confirmed the issues you have with the show?

A lot of you don't understand how hard it is to make a TV show like Game of Thrones. To condense so much material in single episodes, that not only have to appeal to fans of the books but also to a broad audience that isn't as pedantic and high-handed as many of you are.

Has the show done everything right? No, far from it. I too think, that Dorne has been handled poorly, for example. But all in all D&D have done an very good job in not only adapting the convoluted source material, but also in creating new storylines that manage to keep established characters around while keeping the narrative accessible.
You're one of those guys who think rape isn't possible between husband and wife? Jesus fucking christ.

Sort of want to ask you to unpack this comment, so we can figure out your reasoning, but not really.

To me it was consensual in the sense that she knew it was unavoidable. She silently agreed to it. Sure, she didn't enjoy it, but it's not like Ramsay had to force himself on top of her and she tries to fend him off.

Well.. I guess there is no point in further debating that issue. We seem to have too different views about that matter.

TrueBlue

A lot of you don't understand how hard it is to make a TV show like Game of Thrones. To condense so much material in single episodes, that not only have to appeal to fans of the books but also to a broad audience that isn't as pedantic and high-handed as many of you are.

Has the show done everything right? No, far from it. I too think, that Dorne has been handled poorly, for example. But all in all D&D have done an very good job in not only adapting the convoluted source material, but also in creating new storylines that manage to keep established characters around while keeping the narrative accessible.

Yes it was.

- It involved penile penetration
- It was done without the consent of Sansa
- Ramsay couldn't have reasonably believed that she consented, at all.

It was definitely rape. Defend the show all you like, but don't go around throwing such falsehoods so carelessly.

Szeth

Hahaha so true. We've seen them twice in 6 episodes. If they're barely in the last 4 I could totally buy that they minimized their roles.

Ithil

I say that because she gave no consent, he threw her across the bed and ripped her clothes off before violently taking her, while forcing someone she despises to watch against his will.
What he did was entirely within his rights as husband under the GoT medieval rules, but that doesn't mean it wasn't non-consensual sex (i.e., rape).

To me it was consensual in the sense that she knew it was unavoidable. She silently agreed to it. Sure, she didn't enjoy it, but it's not like Ramsay had to force himself on top of her and she tries to fend him off.

Well.. I guess there is no point in further debating that issue. We seem to have too different views about that matter.

Yeah, I think you're just digging yourself a hole with the words you're using. Like these words to be exact...

Ithil

Arya's scenes are strong, as are Jorah/Tyrion's, but they're really not making up for the dreadful Dorne scenes.
I guess it will be Arya's turn next season to join that club D&D have going with Cersei/Sansa/Dany, at the rate this show is going.

bengraven

Yes it was.

- It involved penile penetration
- It was done without the consent of Sansa
- Ramsay couldn't have reasonably believed that she consented, at all.

It was definitely rape. Defend the show all you like, but don't go around throwing such falsehoods so carelessly.

I do have to argue that she did not consent. When she agreed to marry the guy she knew what happened on the wedding night. She agreed to that part even though it horrified her. She knew she would have to consummate it and she already got lucky one... These people killed her brother and she wasn't going to get that lucky again. When she aged to marry him she aged to have seed with him eventually. I think the character would have gone through with it whether it were more romantic or if the entire missing Greyjoy family were watching. I'm not saying she consented just by being there but I think, character wise, in her head she was like "this sucks but let's do it, I agreed to it and let's get it over with". Not defending it and I have another rant against D&d for another time but she consented I think, personally.

Please don't turn this into me defending rape.

I can't believe they cut Darkstar for this sand snake shite

Christ, Darkstar's even worse than they are. The thought of Darkstar being in these scenes is absolutely hilarious.

I do have to argue that she did not consent. When she agreed to marry the guy she knew what happened on the wedding night. She agreed to that part. I think the character would have gone through with it if it were more romantic or if the entire missing Greyjoy family were watching. I'm not saying she consented just by being there but I think, character wise, in her head she was like "this sucks but let's do it and get it over with". Not defending it and I have another rant against D&d for another time but she consented I think, personally.

I ask again; did she want to have sex?

If not, then it's rape, I'm afraid.

Hrothgar

The reaction in this thread to the Sansa rape scene is honestly baffling to me. What did people expect, that she would take the reigns and seduce him, without Ramsay seeing right through it? Come on now, while she did progress a bit from the meek girl she was before, that would still be entirely unbelievable. Or did people expect Ramsay to show some kindness? Hah.

The reaction in this thread to the Sansa rape scene is honestly baffling to me. What did people expect, that she would take the reigns and seduce him? Come on now, while she did progress a bit from the meek girl she was before, that would still be entirely unbelievable. Or did people expect Bolton to show some kindness? Hah.

Yeah, would anyone actually buy this working with a character like Ramsay?

Ithil

The reaction in this thread to the Sansa rape scene is honestly baffling to me. What did people expect, that she would take the reigns and seduce him? Come on now, while she did progress a bit from the meek girl she was before, that would still be entirely unbelievable. Or did people expect Bolton to show some kindness? Hah.

I think people expected her to do something.

AkuMifune

Banned

The only out was that I thought *maybe* she would reveal she already knew what kind of person he was when he mentioned honesty and ask about the girls that got thrown to the dogs, then he would go to kill toothy-girl instead of throwing her on the bed, but she didn't and he did.

ultron87

The reaction in this thread to the Sansa rape scene is honestly baffling to me. What did people expect, that she would take the reigns and seduce him, without Ramsay seeing right through it? Come on now, while she did progress a bit from the meek girl she was before, that would still be entirely unbelievable. Or did people expect Ramsay to show some kindness? Hah.

No one is saying that this came out of nowhere or didn't make sense from where the plot of the show has gone. We're saying that the entire story arc is a shitty thing to do to the character and this was just the final gross confirmation of that.

I'm not defending rape either. I'm just saying that in a kind of medieval society like the one in Game of Thrones it wasn't rape. She consented like you said.

In the real world that would be a totally different issue. But I'm not here to talk about the real world. Calm your tits everybody.

bengraven

Christ, Darkstar's even worse than they are. The thought of Darkstar being in these scenes is absolutely hilarious.

I ask again; did she want to have sex?

If not, then it's rape, I'm afraid.

I said it was rape. I edited to clarify but because I'm saying something minamally against type I'm going to pay for this I know.

Kain

Sansa's plot is bad, LF telling Cersei that Sansa is alive and well and married to Ramsay is the worst shit I've ever seen in this show. LF is so fucking stupid it physically hurts.

Jorah and Tyrion are great, as expected. Dwarf cock not so much.

Yeah, would anyone actually buy this working with a character like Ramsay?

To be fair, speaking as someone who thinks Ramsay was one of the most fascinating/horrific characters in the books, I could honestly buy him being enamored by being married to a high born woman, agonizing over being handcuffed by Roose and not being able to torture Sansa, and the whole season being tension around when and if Ramsay snaps and gives into his basest desires.

Like, we've SEEN him as a psycho already, and it'd have been way more interesting to see him put in a situation where he can't do what we all know he wants to.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm not defending rape either. I'm just saying that in a kind of medieval society like the one in Game of Thrones it wasn't rape. She consented like you said.

In the real world that would be a totally different issue. But I'm not here to talk about the real world. Calm your tits everybody.

Consensual Rape*

The problem isn't just "well, what did you expect?"

It's that the showrunners put her in this position. It makes no sense, from a character arc standpoint, where she's already gone through tons of abuse and humiliation. As others have pointed out, the entire Littlefinger/Sansa in the north subplot really doesn't seem too compelling or even necessary.

"I'm of the night" will only make the current Dorne story line worse.

Why do I love Darkstar so much? It's pretty simple when I think about it. Darkstar isn't just the best character in the series, he might just be the greatest character of all time.

Just imagining him riding through the sands of Dorne, the wind in his hair, his mighty steed below him. As he rides through the red mountains, the ladies swoon at his very scent. They know how he smells, the essence of his smell is sold in Planky Town under the the name of "Greenblood Orgasm." The very nature of Darkstar is mystery. could he be playing a deeper game than even his creator realizes? The answer is yes, he has transcended such boundaries as the written world, and has free will to do whatever he sees fit.

However, Darkstar is filled with such guile, such arcane craft that he does not even use these powers. Why, you might ask? You will never know, for the mind of the Darkstar is not one that is easily penetrated. Darkstar is such a force of nature in his realm that nothing can truly touch him, the only thing keeping him bound to the page at all is his will to exist within the preordained boundaries of his world. Darkstar is not only beyond the comprehension of us, he exists within a plane of true focus and beauty.

Observe his playful smile, his gourgeous and rippling biceps, his gallant nose, and most importantly, his eyes. His eyes, like pools of saffron, provide the only glimpse into the true machinations of Darkstar. Do not stare into them. Many good men have gone mad in the attempt. Darkstar is not just a character, a formless collection of words and images, he is himself is the binding that holds the saga together. Without Darkstar, the entire series, the entire world of Westeros as we know it crumbles. The Trident would stop flowing without Darkstar, the Reach would become a desolate crater, and the Wall would melt without his frosty gaze. These are just of a few of the reasons why I like Darkstar so much.

bengraven

I really hope we never see a Sansa and Ramsay sex scene again. Please do the rescue like next episode. But they won't. Ramsay HAS to catch them. That's how D&D roll.

AkuMifune

Banned
The problem isn't just "well, what did you expect?"

It's that the showrunners put her in this position. It makes no sense, from a character arc standpoint, where she's already gone through tons of abuse and humiliation. As others have pointed out, the entire Littlefinger/Sansa in the north subplot really doesn't seem too compelling or even necessary.

I feel like it's the last thing she has to endure before setting her up as Queen in the North. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Hopefully LF shows up thinking he'll be King and she gives him to the dogs, her arc complete.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The one thing I'm worried about is BookMarg was innocent and has a good chance of getting off while ShowMarg is guilty and probably truly fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom