• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised about how they are handling this "gay crisis" with Loras. I mean, bringing to the show religious hating against LGBT people as a theme.

Kain

Wait until Stannis, the most capable general in all Westeros, loses against some cheap plot by the Boltons. It's going to be glorious.

hoos30

Ah, I don't mind about not being given the credit. As long as people can have a bit of a laugh and not endlessly complain, that's the main thing. And yes, it's my favourite one since Face Tyrell's marvelous exit. I wonder what next week's offering will be...

Putting up with the Sands Snakes shit was worth it just for your gif. Great job!

bengraven

I actually like the idea of Stannis beating the Boltons then getting killed by Brienne.

I don't actually care if Stannis dies, I'm not a Mannis guy though I enjoy the character, but I just don't want the Boltons to kill him.

Wait until Stannis, the most capable general in all Westeros, loses against some cheap plot by the Boltons. It's going to be glorious.

Maybe they'll kill each other. Then suddenly there's this power vacuum in the North and that's the focus of King's Landing for the next two years: getting the North back or leaving it be as the Walkers descend.

I'm predicting the walkers arrive Season 6 ending.

Santiako

At this point I'm expecting Darkstar to show up dressed like El Zorro and speaking half his lines in Spanish. "I'm Darkstar, y soy de la noche"

Why didn't Loras just say, of course he's seen my ass, he was my squire? Once they brought up the squire thing I thought that was a wrap and Loras was getting out but instead he flips like a complete idiot. That was some flimsy ass shit.

I get speeding things along and concessions and whatnot but some of this stuff is just bad. Following the book in this instance probably would have been fairly simple.

God, I hope that since we all are expecting so many things to happen that we're all wrong. If Bronn survives and Stannis actually beats the Boltons, I'm going to sigh a breath of relief.

It's just not going to happen...

Nope, Bronn is a goner. I still hold out some hope that Stannis can beat the Boltons, if we get to that this season.

Why didn't Loras just say, of course he's seen my ass, he was my squire? Once they brought up the squire thing I thought that was a wrap and Loras was getting out but instead he flips like a complete idiot. That was some flimsy ass shit.

I get speeding things along and concessions and whatnot but some of this stuff is just bad. Following the book in this instance probably would have been fairly simple.

Yeah, this is just going to get worse too as they race to the end to wrap this up in seven seasons.

Massa

Thanks for telling me how I feel!

Am I wrong? I think some people feel so low about the show right now (whether it was earned or not is not the point) that they could throw another Red Wedding caliber plot at the end of the season, written by GRRM himself, and the reactions would be bad. Hell, it could be that Sansa marries Harry and has the exact same thing happen to hear in TWOW and that turns out to be a big moment for the character.

As duckroll is putting it, if you don't trust the creators of the show on things that aren't straight from the books then it's just not going to have the intended impact on you no matter how well it's executed.

duckroll

God, I hope that since we all are expecting so many things to happen that we're all wrong. If Bronn survives and Stannis actually beats the Boltons, I'm going to sigh a breath of relief.

It's just not going to happen...

I certainly hope a lot of plot threads go differently from what I expect. There are a lot of things I really love about this season. Everything with Arya has been handled really well. Alexander Siddig is great as Doran even though he hasn't had a chance to do anything yet. I'm actually pretty exciting as to how they resolve the Stannis and Jon storylines which are diverging from the books.

But stuff like the Sand Snakes, the rushed nature of the Winterfell stuff, and dragging out "Hurr Hurr Loras is Gay He fucked every man!!" are major dampers this week.

bengraven

Just saw this on the Sullied thread.

I don't think the point of the House of Black and White is clear to non-readers.

She's being brainwashed and molded into a killer by an evil cult of assassins.

Kain

Maybe they'll kill each other. Then suddenly there's this power vacuum in the North and that's the focus of King's Landing for the next two years: getting the North back or leaving it be as the Walkers descend.

I'm predicting the walkers arrive Season 6 ending.

Talking about the books here, I don't think anyone believes the Walkers are descending until they reach KL. Cersei for one is stupid enough to ignore that threat. Now I wonder if Varys' plans had anything to do with them.

At this point I'm expecting Darkstar to show up dressed like El Zorro and speaking half his lines in Spanish. "I'm Darkstar, y soy de la noche"

Better yet: "Soy Estrellaoscura, y soy de la noche"

The problem I have with the depiction of homosexuality in the show is that GRRM never really expanded how the society of Westeros handles it. Obviously it wasn't a very common thing, and gay lords still married and had children, but it's also not like Loras and Renly were the only homo- or bisexual nobles in Westeros. One of the Corbrays is gay, Laenor Velaryon is gay, Jon Connington is gay. It just never seemed to be a big topic in the books, and I'm grateful that, although it comes up rarely, it's not portrayed as an issue within the world of GRRM. It's just something that happens, and nobody makes a big deal out of it. Which is how it should be. The gay characters in ASoIaF just happen to be gay, but they're still characters in their own right. Their sexuality is not what makes them stand out, or what makes them "interesting", or what drives them. They're not solely reduced to being "the gay dude". And there never was any mention that the Faith of the Seven condemns homosexuality either.

And then there's the show, which uses the classic "Christian" approach in which homosexuality is considered sinful by the Faith and whatnot. Loras is portrayed as "the gay dude", and he's completely reduced to being the gay dude on the show. He's got his gay boy toy, and he flirts with other men, quite openly even (e.g. with Oberyn during Joffrey's wedding). The fact he's one of the most noble and comely fighters, one of the most skilled warriors within the Seven Kingdoms isn't even mentioned. The same goes for Renly, too. In the books, Renly is supposed to be like Robert in his youth - a skilled warrior, a strong leader with good intentions, who just happened to prefer men. In the show, Renly was reduced to being the gay king, the one who is "very clean and charming", etc.

bengraven

I certainly hope a lot of plot threads go differently from what I expect. There are a lot of things I really love about this season. Everything with Arya has been handled really well. Alexander Siddig is great as Doran even though he hasn't had a chance to do anything yet. I'm actually pretty exciting as to how they resolve the Stannis and Jon storylines which are diverging from the books.

But stuff like the Sand Snakes, the rushed nature of the Winterfell stuff, and dragging out "Hurr Hurr Loras is Gay He fucked every man!!" are major dampers this week.

When I get the Blu Rays I predict this episode is going to be a tough one to rewatch. I'm going to want to watch half of it, because I truly loved half of it. But I truly hated the other half. And even some parts that I hated featured some things I liked - Areo and Doran for example. "If you were whole...". I hated how they potrayed Loras' sexuality, but I liked the sudden drama of "...and Queen Margaery" and Cersei's face when she realizes she's killing two birds with one stone.

If they wrote that in, I'd take back a lot of the negative things I've said about them over the years.

Or we get to remember this line forever:

tumblr_mmrmsrLpFy1rrxax3o1_500.jpg

duckroll

I don't think the point of the House of Black and White is clear to non-readers.

Well to be fair, that might not be all that far off! Are the Faceless Men good or evil? Probably neither, but they are a bunch of killers who have destabilized kingdoms before. Are they a cult? For sure. There's also clearly a level of indoctrination going on with their ways. In the end this is what Arya wants and it is part of her journey, but I don't think that's an unusual way of seeing it.

bengraven

And she's going through the opposite of brainwashing. To be one of them, which she wants to be, she has to wash parts of her away. She never will - Needle proves that.

Well to be fair, that might not be all that far off! Are the Faceless Men good or evil? Probably neither, but they are a bunch of killers who have destabilized kingdoms before. Are they a cult? For sure. There's also clearly a level of indoctrination going on with their ways. In the end this is what Arya wants and it is part of her journey, but I don't think that's an unusual way of seeing it.

That's one of the things I love about the Faceless Men from the books and as well the show I suppose. Is it evil? It does assassinate, but it's legal in the eyes of their god (reminds me of the legal writs of assassination in Morrowind). And of course there's the voluntary suicides which are there to relieve pain or suffering. I love that...pun mostly unintended...black and white nature of them.

Patriots7

Am I wrong? I think some people feel so low about the show right now (whether it was earned or not is not the point) that they could throw another Red Wedding caliber plot at the end of the season, written by GRRM himself, and the reactions would be bad. Hell, it could be that Sansa marries Harry and has the exact same thing happen to hear in TWOW and that turns out to be a big moment for the character.

As duckroll is putting it, if you don't trust the creators to make anything that isn't straight from the books then it's just not going to have the intended impact on you no matter how well it's executed.
So it's ok because Harry the Heir could be a sadistic rapist!

People are low on the show because the drastic changes they've made have been done using piss poor writing. I don't like the change to Sansa's arc. But there are numerous ways they could have utilized her this season. There are numerous ways they could have even used this storyline, but actually execute it well.

If the writing was exceptional, this would not be getting the blowback that it's receiving now.

She's being brainwashed and molded into a killer by an evil cult of assassins.

Isn't that exactly what the Faceless Men are, though?
I mean, it's arguable that they're evil, but they are indoctrinating Arya, and they are a cult of assassins. It's not too far off to consider them being evil for that fact alone.

Haha.

Kain

That's one of the things I love about the Faceless Men from the books and as well the show I suppose. Is it evil? It does assassinate, but it's legal in the eyes of their god (reminds me of the legal writs of assassination in Morrowind). And of course there's the voluntary suicides which are there to relieve pain or suffering. I love that...pun mostly unintended...black and white nature of them.

I always saw the Faceless Men as hypocrites: they all talk about death and its nature yada yada but they kill for a price. They are just mercenaries and assassins who think too highly of themselves.

One good thing about this season is that it's made me want to give the books a good second reading. I think because I sort of miss the plots and characters that the show has altered or ignored.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Good News everyone, Bronn may still be alive.
Turns out the transcript for all the audition tapes have been online for a while now, the audition for Tyene is a scene between her and Bronn. In the scene it appears they have been sleeping together and Tyene gives him the antidote after admitting to her that she's the most beautiful girl in the world.

The problem I have with the depiction of homosexuality in the show is that GRRM never really expanded how the society of Westeros handles it. Obviously it wasn't a very common thing, and gay lords still married and had children, but it's also not like Loras and Renly were the only homo- or bisexual nobles in Westeros. One of the Corbrays is gay, Laenor Velaryon is gay, Jon Connington is gay. It just never seemed to be a big topic in the books, and I'm grateful that, although it comes up rarely, it's not portrayed as an issue within the world of GRRM. It's just something that happens, and nobody makes a big deal out of it. Which is how it should be. The gay characters in ASoIaF just happen to be gay, but they're still characters in their own right. Their sexuality is not what makes them stand out, or what makes them "interesting", or what drives them. They're not solely reduced to being "the gay dude". And there never was any mention that the Faith of the Seven condemns homosexuality either.

And then there's the show, which uses the classic "Christian" approach in which homosexuality is considered sinful by the Faith and whatnot. Loras is portrayed as "the gay dude", and he's completely reduced to being the gay dude on the show. He's got his gay boy toy, and he flirts with other men, quite openly even (e.g. with Oberyn during Joffrey's wedding). The fact he's one of the most noble and comely fighters, one of the most skilled warriors within the Seven Kingdoms isn't even mentioned. The same goes for Renly, too. In the books, Renly is supposed to be like Robert in his youth - a skilled warrior, a strong leader with good intentions, who just happened to prefer men. In the show, Renly was reduced to being the gay king, the one who is "very clean and charming", etc.
I didn't know Jon Connington is gay. And to be honest, in the books I'd never have guessed that Renly was gay. lol

bengraven

Fantastic. lol

Isn't that exactly what the Faceless Men are, though?
I mean, it's arguable that they're evil, but they are indoctrinating Arya, and they are a cult of assassins. It's not too far off to consider them being evil for that fact alone.

I just edited and added:

And she's going through the opposite of brainwashing. To be one of them, which she wants to be, she has to wash parts of her away. She never will - Needle proves that.

Edit: they're indoctrinating her, but it's all voluntary. She sought them out. She wants their magic and she's going to do her best to get it with minimal amounts of losing herself.

I wonder if her arc in Braavos ends with her killing the Kindly Man/Tv's Jaquen with Needle and being like "thanks for the magic, but I'm retiring to finish my bucket list".

And then she puts on sunglasses and the Who plays...

Honestly, this is one of the most egregious change the show has made. Book Loras is a perfect gay character in that he's a badass not defined by his sexuality; it's an open secret that nobody seems to care about beyond an occasional joke/jab. Turning Show Loras into a spoiled brat who does nothing but has sexytime all day, and then having the audacity to make him a martyr over it is just beyond comprehension to me.

It's really upsetting :/ He's such a cool character.

duckroll

Turns out the transcript for all the audition tapes have been online for a while now, the audition for Tyene is a scene between her and Bronn. In the scene it appears they have been sleeping together and Tyene gives him the antidote after admitting to her that she's the most beautiful girl in the world.

If that's true then,
Bronn's cock is truly the most powerful weapon in all of Westeros. All hail his cock!

bengraven

I always saw the Faceless Men as hypocrites: they all talk about death and its nature yada yada but they kill for a price. They are just mercenaries and assassins who think too highly of themselves.

I think that's really the nature of a lot of churches. They do some good and are all about their faith in their god, but they also are run by human beings with human needs.

Farnsworth gif.

And please be true.

audition tapes sometimes lie

If that's true then,
Bronn's cock is truly the most powerful weapon in all of Westeros. All hail his cock!

My theory is correct, then!
the antidote was his penis all along!

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think that's really the nature of a lot of churches. They do some good and are all about their faith in their god, but they also are run by human beings with human needs.

Farnsworth gif.

And please be true.

audition tapes sometimes lie

My theory is correct, then!
the antidote was his penis all along!

Here's the transcript link: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/88807750.html

It should also be noted that according to the comments on Reddit the transcripts are legit as all the leaked scripts have been true, it's also how everyone learned that Jaimie was going to Dorne before hand.

bengraven

Bronn doesn't die. He just stays in Dorne for 24/7 foursomes with the sand snakes.

"The only Soonspear y'll be lookin at is right here lasses..."

Here's the transcript link: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/88807750.html

It should also be noted that according to the comments on Reddit the transcripts are legit as all the leaked scripts have been true, it's also how everyone learned that Jaimie was going to Dorne before hand.

It would be ridiculous to lose a great character in a stupid storyline

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Don't worry. He'll be sexing Olyvar on the executioner's block next week.
Executioner's block? They're not gonna chop his head off, they're gonna stick something large and painful up his ass as a warning to other gay people.

TRios Zen

Fantastic. lol

I just edited and added:

Edit: they're indoctrinating her, but it's all voluntary. She sought them out. She wants their magic and she's going to do her best to get it with minimal amounts of losing herself.

I wonder if her arc in Braavos ends with her killing the Kindly Man/Tv's Jaquen with Needle and being like "thanks for the magic, but I'm retiring to finish my bucket list".

And then she puts on sunglasses and the Who plays...

HAHA - I'd pay to see this!

AkuMifune

Banned
The poison will fester and Bronn will have to cut his hand off. Then we have Jaime missing one and Bronn missing the other.

They get to join fake hands and fight as the most deadly warrior in the land!

pls

Speevy

Banned
Executioner's block? They're not gonna chop his head off, they're gonna stick something large and painful up his ass as a warning to other gay people.

And here we have the King's Landing head spike exhibit. You can see Ned, Catelyn, and Robb Stark, Septa Mordane, and they just built this lovely ass spike for Loras.

I guess I'm ok if he dies since there isn't much for him to do but I'd rather he just find a nice place to settle down and end his story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom