• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asami208

Banned
I'll give all three actors props at least. They're not the problem with that scene, the acting was really good all-around. It's just if the showrunners REALLY want to show off Sophie Turner's acting skills (and I fully agree that she's turned into quite the good young actress, Maisie Williams as well) like they claim, this is pretty much the WORST way that you could possibly do it.

LifEndz

I'll give all three actors props at least. They're not the problem with that scene, the acting was really good all-around. It's just if the showrunners REALLY want to show off Sophie Turner's acting skills (and I fully agree that she's turned into quite the good young actress

Very true. I'm almost at a "The Wire" level of respect for some of these actors. Theon and Sansa really made that scene so hard to watch. It's going to be fun seeing how they parlay their time on GOT in the future. Both of their Emmy reels should be amazing this year.

Didn't really like last nights ep much, but I have to say Alfie Allen has been absolutely phenomenal this season.

Honestly, hes been phenomenal for years, I wish we could see him more in a less zombie like state. I miss his old self, Although He may never be the same again. He made that scene last night.

Asami208

Banned
Very true. I'm almost at a "The Wire" level of respect for some of these actors. Theon and Sansa really made that scene so hard to watch. It's going to be fun seeing how they parlay their time on GOT in the future. Both of their Emmy reels should be amazing this year.

You know I have to give Iwan Rheon a lot of credit as well. From what I've heard, he's supposedly a pretty nice guy in real life. But like Jack Gleeson, he's so good at playing this character that he really makes you hate him.

Enosh

Tyene whyy?
this is just embarrassing for everyone involved

we could have had crazy vikings going around plundering shit instead of this shit
although with the choreography on display this season it seems we dodged a bullet there...

also I have no idea whatsoever what the fuck LF is planing atm, I'm starting to think the writers don't either beyond buzzwords like "the game!" and "the ladder"

Asami208

Banned
this is just embarrassing for everyone involved

we could have had crazy vikings going around plundering shit instead of this shit
although with the choreography on display this season it seems we dodged a bullet there...

also I have no idea whatsoever what the fuck LF is planing atm, I'm starting to think the writers don't either beyond buzzwords like "the game!" and "the ladder"

Also am I really supposed to buy that he DIDN'T know about Ramsay's "habits," seriously writers? This is the guy who has a file on every termite in Westeros, yet he doesn't know about the serial flayer, rapists, murderer, bad dog raiser of the North? Oh give me a break.

Speevy

Banned
Also am I really supposed to buy that he DIDN'T know about Ramsay's "habits," seriously writers? This is the guy who has a file on every termite in Westeros, yet he doesn't know about the serial flayer, rapists, murderer, bad dog raiser of the North? Oh give me a break.

Well, Robb Stark didn't know he was crazy and Roose is his bannerman.

Enosh

did they do the whole "married some widow and the starved her to inherit all her shit" in the show too? because I have no fucking idea how LF wouldn't have heard of that, I guess the flaying was kinda on the down low even in the books but shit like this did get out iirc

I kinda remember Roderic (was that him?) bringing that shit to Bran in one of the episodes for him to judge

Speevy

Banned
Did you notice that a couple of Dornish guards are obscuring that one sand snake's face when Bronn tells her she fights good for a little girl?

They probably added that in post-production to cover up the bad acting.

T-Rex.

Banned
Is the battle for Winterfell likely to be this season or next?

I hope we get a reversal of how Blackwater played out. Imagine if Stannis is about to lose the battle when all of a sudden the camera pans to a bunch of Northmen arriving carrying the Direwolf of Stark banner. It'd be so damn gud if it played out like that. Knowing these muppets he'll probably get killed and fed to Sansa for breakfast though.

Speevy

Banned
Is the battle for Winterfell likely to be this season or next?

I hope we get a reversal of how Blackwater played out. Imagine if Stannis is about to lose the battle when all of a sudden the camera pans to a bunch of Northmen arriving carrying the Direwolf of Stark banner. It'd be so damn gud if it played out like that. Knowing these muppets he'll probably get killed and fed to Sansa for breakfast though.

There are no battles this season other than the one at Hardhome.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I will say that this episode did make me question one thing from the books, why has Tyrion not told Jorah his father his dead? That word should have reached him before he got shipped off, correct? Or maybe not.

Well, Robb Stark didn't know he was crazy and Roose is his bannerman.

I don't think a young man in his teens/early 20s who just happened to inherit his father's realm is comparable to the man who was the realm's minister of finances for what, 15 years, has built an economic empire and a vast network of spies and informants across the entire country and beyond, and was able to use his cunning to rise from a low noble standing barely higher than a hedge knight to becoming one of the most powerful aristocrats within the entire country, while also weakening the throne's position, as well as various potential powerful rivals.

No, Littlefinger not knowing that the Bastard of the Dreadfort is at the very least a questionable personality is just stupid.

Best part about Cersei reactions is seeing everyone forgetting about Zombie Mountain. People are going to get so pissed lol.

Any bets on when Jon gets stabbed? Episode 8?

I still feel pissed off that they decided to cut the whole Tysha/Tyrion stuff from the show. It just lacks something major when the sole reason Tyrion gave to Jorah on why he killed his father was because he had slept with the woman he loved. Oooh hey! Tyrion doesn't take too kindly to being cuckold.

Some of the show's decisions are just plain terrible.

He looks like what would happen if a hobbit became a Sith lord.

hahahahaha spot on!

-griffy-

Banned
I still feel pissed off that they decided to cut the whole Tysha/Tyrion stuff from the show. It just lacks something major when the sole reason Tyrion gave to Jorah on why he killed his father was because he had slept with the woman he loved. Oooh hey! Tyrion doesn't take too kindly to being cuckold.

That wasn't the sole reason he gave. He said his father was going to execute him for a crime he didn't commit. And on top of that he was sleeping with the woman he loved.

1SJ09vc.png

Speevy

Banned
Catelyn knew about Ramsay being crazy. I would assume Robb did too.

There's a show scene of Catelyn mentioning Ramsay? Missed that one. Also, Roose tells Robb he's sending his bastard to get Theon. I can't remember whether Robb thinks the boys are dead already at that point.

-griffy-

Banned
Well that makes it all better! ...not

There was more than enough justification for Tyrion's actions in the show. A lifetime of mistreatment and hate from his father and family, culminating in framing him for Joffrey's murder and sentencing him to death when Tywin fully knew Tyrion was innocent. And then Shae being in his bed as the cherry on top.

But go ahead and completely mischaracterize it by not even accurately quoting the scene you are complaining about.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I still can't believe they cut out the Greyjoys for this horseshit. Just imagine the season's opening, Balon Greyjoy gets word about the Red Wedding and Joffery's death and thinks that now is finally time to really strike at all of Westeros. He opens the doors of Pyke and begins to cross the bridge, but a hooded figure is on the other side of his path. The rains are pounding and the winds are howling. He tries to call out to the hooded figure but gets no reply, the figure shakes the bridge and Balon goes over. The figure pulls back his hood to reveal Jaqen H'gar. Kingsmoot/Greyjoy plot begins.

SamVimes

There's a show scene of Catelyn mentioning Ramsay? Missed that one. Also, Roose tells Robb he's sending his bastard to get Theon. I can't remember whether Robb thinks the boys are dead already at that point.

Oh sorry, i thought you were talking about the books. Nevermind.

At that point Ramsay wasn't doing anything though. Now he's been legitimized and he just killed a lord for refusing to pay taxes, considering in the show the raven carry news instantly around the globe LF definitely should know.

Speevy

Banned
I still can't believe they cut out the Greyjoys for this horseshit. Just imagine the season's opening, Balon Greyjoy gets word about the Red Wedding and Joffery's death and thinks that now is finally time to really strike at all of Westeros. He opens the doors of Pyke and begins to cross the bridge, but a hooded figure is on the other side of his path. The rains are pounding and the winds are howling. He tries to call out to the hooded figure but gets no reply, the figure shakes the bridge and Balon goes over. The figure pulls back his hood to reveal Jaqen H'gar. Kingsmoot/Greyjoy plot begins.

They're not going to pay Patrick Malahide for a 10 second scene on a bridge.

Speevy

Banned
Oh sorry, i thought you were talking about the books. Nevermind.

At that point Ramsay wasn't doing anything though. Now he's been legitimized and he just killed a lord for refusing to pay taxes, considering in the show the raven carry news instantly around the globe LF definitely should know.

Well, Littlefinger's plan seems to be killing the Boltons at all cost so I guess he doesn't care as much about Sansa as I thought.

There was more than enough justification for Tyrion's actions in the show. A lifetime of mistreatment and hate from his father and family, culminating in framing him for Joffrey's murder and sentencing him to death when Tywin fully knew Tyrion was innocent. And then Shae being in his bed as the cherry on top.

But go ahead and completely mischaracterize it by not even accurately quoting the scene you are complaining about.

Do you even remember reading the part where Jaime tells him the truth about Tysha? I seriously have no point in debating this with you if you can't even conceive how much of a bigger deal it would have been if it had taken place in the show. How the show tackled it was terribly weak compared to the books. The reasons behind the kill felt like a crime of passion instead of actual resentment of all that had happened in the past. It just plain sucked.

Anyone else suspect that Littlefinger knew about Ramsey's nature? I definitely feel that he might have planned to rescue Sansa from another abusive relationship.

-griffy-

Banned
It's well known by everyone in the show that the Boltons use very harsh forms of justice. Roose explicitly appeals to Robb to let him flay some prisoners at one point in season 2, I recall. It's probably accepted as the Boltons just being particularly brutal in their ways, but those on the receiving end of it are not undeserving. Whereas Ned may just behead someone who deserves it, Roose will flay them and display the corpse. I think knowing that is very different than knowing Ramsay is a sexual deviant who gets off on torturing people and goes on "hunts" for nothing more than personal amusement, which the Boltons have seemed to keep under wraps.

Do you even remember reading the part wherre Jaime tells him the truth about Tysha? I seriously have no point in debating this with you if you can't even conceive how much of a bigger deal it would have been if it had took place in the show. How the show tackled it was terribly weak compared to the books. The reasons behind the kill felt like a crime of passion instead of resentment of all that had happened in the past. It just plain sucked.

Of course I do, and in order for the show to have shoehorned that in would have completely brought the scene to a screeching halt as a bunch of exposition is dumped in order to properly explain the circumstances and let the revelation even make any kind of sense. The show doesn't have the luxury of having chapters upon chapters of Tyrion inner monologue constantly reminding the reader of Tysha. As GRRM said, the show is the show and the book is the book. The way the show set it up worked for the show.

The background looks like Stannis' camp from the trailers, but without the snow.

INTERESTING.

And don't forget the trailer shot of Stannis and Davos running like hell through a flaming camp.

Ugh, this season is making me ill.

edit: Thanks, whoever edited. I'll be more careful in the future.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Anyone else suspect that Littlefinger knew about Ramsey's nature? I definitely feel that he might have planned to rescue Sansa from another abusive relationship.

You mean the guy that engineered the Lannister/Stark conflict, killed Sansa's father, and set up her mother to die might not have Sansa's best interests at heart? Who knew?

Nope. Bryan Cogman, Writer:

The writer producer also confirmed that, for those suspecting Littlefinger might have known about Ramsay’s sadism, that Baelish was definitely ignorant of the situation. “The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. So Littlefinger doesn’t have the intelligence on him. He knows they’re scary and creepy and not to be folly trusted and it’s part of a larger plan.”

AkuMifune

Banned

It seemed like an actual blind-spot. Which is an even bigger plot hole. Everyone had to know he is a sadist who leaves a trail of flayed corpses in his wake. And he (LF) seems to actually have a perverse love for Sansa, his inability to get her mother transferred to her, i can't imagine him leaving her there if he really knew. Which again, is really dumb.

The plan is dumb with Petyr knowing and even dumber with Petyr not knowing

Basically, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom