• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

Nope. Bryan Cogman, Writer:

The writer producer also confirmed that, for those suspecting Littlefinger might have known about Ramsay’s sadism, that Baelish was definitely ignorant of the situation. “The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. So Littlefinger doesn’t have the intelligence on him. He knows they’re scary and creepy and not to be folly trusted and it’s part of a larger plan.”

No fucking shit, Cogman, LF doesn't have the intelligence on him????

This reminds me of

Intelligence.jpg

But without being funny.

-griffy-

Banned
Spoilering in case anyone doesn't want speculation from trailer and the background of interviews:

http://i.imgur.com/MvSInLv.jpg

Yep, exact same. Tents and carts. Fairly convinced Ramsay burns at least a portion of Stannis' camp now.

Hmm, what if
Shireen dies in Ramsay's attack.
They seem to be trying to make Ramsay THE villain on the show right now.

These final episodes seem like they're gonna be packed, frankly.

Speevy

Banned
Okay (spoiler image)

Fuck this crap. Ramsay and his band of goons couldn't make it within a mile of Stannis. If Ramsay stops Stannis, I'm going to quit watching. That's just going too far.

Moff

I actually came in here expecting people to be disappointed that ramsay didnt tell reek to "warm her up"
I think the scene was done well, it was supposed to go too far, and it did, and it was great to see an amazing performance by alfie allen again after 3 seasons.
speaking of which, it's a joy to have diana rigg back.

but that sand snake that looks like a teenage michelle rodiguez, she has easily replaced kekili as the worst actress on the show by now. bronns comment "for fucks sake" really matched perfectly. that was straight out of xena.

I still think it was a very good episode overall, the dorne stories are just a complete mess and I don't think it will get better. everything else is fine.

edit: oh and congratulations to whoever had the idea that jorah would enter the pit as a gladiator a few days ago, good catch

Okay (spoiler image)

Fuck this crap. Ramsay and his band of goons couldn't make it within a mile of Stannis. If Ramsay stops Stannis, I'm going to quit watching. That's just going too far.

Yep, pretty much. Hate how invested I am now, but, doesn't book Stannis leave off with a starving half dead army in the winter? This gets him to that point, no?

Kain

I actually came in here expecting people to be disappointed that ramsay didnt tell reek to "warm her up"

You know they fuck it up bad when things like that don't bother us. Ramsan scenes are not bad in themselves, for example, it's the ridiculous path to get there that is bad.

Like, LF (Pedro in the show) just sent Sansa into WF expecting... what exactly? That she with her proven expertise in seduction techniques seduces Ramsay? LF who trains whores for a living should know that she is not ready. That she with her proven expertise in killing kills Ramsay? LF has hired countless killers in his time and should know she is not a killer. That Ramsay treats her well? The Bolton bastard, son of the most traitorous motherfucker in the North? The one who has Theon Greyjoy as his slave? Ah but he didn't have the intelligence, OF COURSE NOW IT MAKES SENSE, as I don't know NOTHING about the Boltons let's throw Sansa into WF protected by an old woman who says "The North remembers" and hope that somehow she stays unscathed. And for good measure let's go to KL meanwhile to meet Cersei the trustworthy and the new Faith, yes, why not, it's not like LF runs whorehouses and is corrupt to the bone, is it not? He is a friend of the new Church!

Fuck the writers.

Burt

The plan is dumb with Petyr knowing and even dumber with Petyr not knowing

Why? Ramsay's personality isn't even relevant to it.

You know they fuck it up bad when things like that don't bother us. Ramsan scenes are not bad in themselves, for example, it's the ridiculous path to get there that is bad.

Like, LF (Pedro in the show) just sent Sansa into WF expecting... what exactly? That she with her proven expertise in seduction techniques seduces Ramsay? LF who trains whores for a living should know that she is not ready. That she with her proven expertise in killing kills Ramsay? LF has hired countless killers in his time and should know she is not a killer. That Ramsay treats her well? The Bolton bastard, son of the most traitorous motherfucker in the North? The one who has Theon Greyjoy as his slave? Ah but he didn't have the intelligence, OF COURSE NOW IT MAKES SENSE, as I don't know NOTHING about the Boltons let's throw Sansa into WF protected by an old woman who says "The North remembers" and hope that somehow she stays unscathed. And for good measure let's go to KL meanwhile to meet Cersei the trustworthy and the new Faith, yes, why not, it's not like LF runs whorehouses and is corrupt to the bone, is it not? He is a friend of the new Church!

Fuck the writers.

The only people who expected Sansa to seduce Ramsay are the ones wishing for plot armor and/or think that she learned a level 2 charm spell from LF's 'pep talk' (which was just him saying what he needed to in order to get her into Winterfell) or something. Nothing about Ramsay other than him marrying Sansa matters to LF's plan. At all. He's using Sansa to frame the Boltons as traitors and put himself in a favorable position with every single army side in the coming conflict.

Moff

Fuck the writers.
littlefinger probably doesnt care about sansa, he knows the boltons will marry and certainly not kill her. that's enough for everything he needs her. all that talk about finally being a player is hardly serious, what use would he have for another real player in the game of thrones? if she succeeded he would have to kill her, which is probably his plan anyway as soon as she marries him.

-griffy-

Banned
What was new in the last episode compared to the books? The Dorne subplot doesn't exist?

Well, the Ramsay wedding and wedding night happen in the books in similar ways, only it's not Sansa that is marrying him. The Dorne plot happens in the books but Jaime and Bronn aren't involved in it.

The Arya and Tyrion/Jorah plots are much closer to what happens in the books.

Speevy

Banned
I can't wait for the final season when Ramsay kills Dany's dragons.

He should be able to stop the whitewalkers too, shirtless even.

KooopaKid

Banned
Well, the Ramsay wedding and wedding night happen in the books in similar ways, only it's not Sansa that is marrying him. The Dorne plot happens in the books but Jaime and Bronn aren't involved in it.

The Arya and Tyrion/Jorah plots are much closer to what happens in the books.

Ok thanks. It sounds like it's some free reasonable adaptations.

Moff

Dude who captures Tyrion has the best menacing slow-smile. That dude was in Oz, right? Adabizi or something?

he was awesome as mr eko in lost.
I mean I am glad they introduce some new black actors, but slaver and pirates, I don't know.

Well that was pretty edgy and shitty...Martin sure meanders the plot in the books but the threads still tie together much better than this...LF plan is straight up stupid and far too convoluted...Is he trying to take the Seven Kingdoms piece by piece rather than just go for the jugular? Wanting Winterfell when it is just a pile of rubble and winter is coming. He already has the Eyrie, but he has no chance of going much higher, regardless of ambition. He doesn't really have his own house or much personal support. I mean he must have known about Ramsay...Anybody who is as fucked up as him will have a reputation a mile off...

On Ramsay, even in the books I don't understand why this character got so many lucky breaks...and I find Roose, who is cold and calculating putting any faith in him, utterly implausible...He is quite cunning but is insane. Not someone who has a chance of actually holding the north in any shape or form. In fact, someone who has made a great deal of enemies and is likely to meet a grizzly death.

Jaime's invasion of Dorne is pretty ridiculous...The fact that they just sauntered into the royal gardens is hilarious...Just a left turn and boom here we are...!

ZeroRay

All the Water Garden scenes looked more like dress rehearsals than stuff that deserved to be in a final cut.

Apparently, they had very little time to shoot at that location so this is what we got.

Speevy

Banned
As bad as the Dorne plot was, I expected it.

Them taking Margaery away while she yells "Tommen!" over and over as he just sits there is one of my least favorite decisions they've made. I get that he's not a killer and wants to handle things diplomatically, but he just let his wife get imprisoned like he's a 6 year old.

They could have remedied this by having a scene in which Cersei convinces him to imprison Margaery, but no, just prison and "WHATTT'S GOING ON GUYS?"

The Lannister guard should just quit following this boy around. Let him die.

The Mary Sue has decided to stop promoting GoT due to last night's Sansa scene.

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

A bit of an overreaction IMO.

Honestly, I'm not too surprised. The show has garnered a number of "I think I might be done with GoT" articles in the past due to the creators weird relationship with sexual abuse/treatment of women.

Them taking Margaery away while she yells "Tommen!" over and over as he just sits there is one of my least favorite decisions they've made. I get that he's not a killer and wants to handle things diplomatically, but he just let his wife get imprisoned like he's a 6 year old.

They could have remedied this by having a scene in which Cersei convinces him to imprison Margaery, but no, just prison and "WHATTT'S GOING ON GUYS?"

It also cheapens the "development" they gave him earlier in the season, where it seemed like him standing up to Cersei was going to be a point of conflict. But nope, it was just a cheap device to get Cersei to resort to extreme measures.

Kain

All the Water Garden scenes looked more like dress rehearsals than stuff that deserved to be in a final cut.

Apparently, they had very little time to shoot at that location so this is what we got.

That's totally the vibes I'm getting too.

Snake

Dorne/Spain reminds me of season 2-3 north of the wall/Iceland. Sacrificed quality just to get the scenery of on location shooting. I mean they had to clear out an important tourist attraction for those water garden scenes right? Probably rushed the production and limited what they could do. The sand snakes horrible acting is all on them though, at least Kit had the excuse of being frozen all the time and has since been great.
This is a great comparison and it perfectly sums up my own feelings about Dorne after seeing this episode.

Book purist debates remain awful and embarrassing, but the execution is the show's own fault and it's disappointing that they're still making these kinds of production missteps five seasons in.

Moff

I don't really understand the reaction that her rape is unnecessary and serves no purpose. I mean she will probably run away with theon, right? like farya? and brought to stannis camp? probably by brienne?
why would she do that if she indeed became the controlling player?

Brakke

Banned
he was awesome as mr eko in lost.
I mean I am glad they introduce some new black actors, but slaver and pirates, I don't know.

Lol yeah. At least they brought in Hotah at the same time but then he's not a particularly big deal. "It would have been a good fight" line was good too. I would've been all about that. Bad editing though... saying "good fight" out loud right after that clown show... pretty bad juxtaposition...

Hex

Banned

The parting shot where you see his mother's hand on his arm, and the looks where he was completely lost as far as what to do showed that he was in that moment exactly what he is...a lost little boy overwhelmed.

ultron87

The Mary Sue has decided to stop promoting GoT due to last night's Sansa scene.

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

A bit of an overreaction IMO.

One of my friends has decided to stop watching and several others in my watching group who used to be die hard fans are actively considering dropping it as well after this. I think it wouldn't be coming up if the whole season wasn't so "blah", but this episode ending is proving to be the proverbial last straw.

Cersei's game seems a bit stupid now...she has played her hand but they have an even bigger one...there is no reason for them to hold out on the incest accusation now. I mean it would be stupid if they did.

I don't really understand the reaction that her rape is unnecessary and serves no purpose. I mean she will probably run away with theon, right? like farya? and brought to stannis camp? probably by brienne?
why would she do that if she indeed became the controlling player?

Why does she need to be raped to understand that Ramsey is a horrible person? They could have easily given her motivation to run away without that.

One of my friends has decided to stop watching and several others in my watching group who used to be die hard fans are actively considering dropping it as well after this. I think it wouldn't be coming up if the whole season wasn't so "blah", but this episode ending is proving to be the proverbial last straw.

Same. Just an "okay" season so far and this put it over the top for a few of my friends. The positives of the show just don't outweigh the negatives for them.

I guess the folks at the mary sue aren't book readers.

Someone has already covered it, but rape in the books is mostly a threat or something that's discussed, not explicitly shown. Yes, with Jeyne Poole, it's very explicit, but it wasn't "necessary" here, as their storylines aren't remotely the same.

gutshot

I don't think the scene itself was that bad. But I think ending the episode on that scene was a really poor decision. It just left a really bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and effectively ruined what was an otherwise good episode (the Dorne stuff being the lone exception).

Mxrz

So much anger.

Show now has years of showing how 'evil' Ramsey is, and you know the book version is even worse. Yet expected Sansa--flipping Sansa--to somehow pull one over him on their wedding night. And she got off light compared to the terrible stuff the book version does w/ Jeyne.

Ramsey and Roose are likely the last human 'villains' before the White Walker stuff kicks into high gear. Wouldn't expect them to die until next season. Probably to either Stannis-kickass or Zombie Jon.

I'm okay with Littlefinger not knowing everything about Ramsey given the location, and all the stuff Littlefinger has been dealing with in the vale and King's landing. If he does know, and didn't give a flip, makes sense too.

This is a great comparison and it perfectly sums up my own feelings about Dorne after seeing this episode.

Book purist debates remain awful and embarrassing, but the execution is the show's own fault and it's disappointing that they're still making these kinds of production missteps five seasons in

Eh? Preferring the narrative directions in the books is far from embarrassing. The decision to go even harder in with sex in the TV series is embarassing while cutting out significant plot elements is embarrassing...

Moff

Why does she need to be raped to understand that Ramsey is a horrible person? They could have easily given her motivation to run away without that.

well she knows the boltons are bad people, they killed her family, just knowing that is not reason enough to have her run away, no, I don't agree here. if that was the case she would not have agreed to come in the first place.

she needed to be attacked personally.

he could have started to torture her like reek I guess, but I doubt the audience would have accepted that more, and sorry to say, but raping her in her wedding night was not only from the books, it simply makes the most sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom