• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

UPcmC7b.gif

Apt101

That Sand Snake with the short hair and petite figure. Man, I am in love. Also, I don't think Bronn was really trying all that hard. He's a rogue but I don't see that character killing a bunch of teenage girls.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Listen, I think Alfie Allen is the best damn actor in the show but FUCK THEON. I don't want any redemption for that slimy fuck, nothing he does will ever redeem him in my eyes. I don't want him to be constantly tortured but I do think he should die.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The stink face Obara has on constantly is hilariously awful.

Ok let's not get too crazy here. The dornish stuff is terrible but pretty much everything else is still really solid.

I feel like I'm back in WrassleGAF; "I hate this show, I'm never watching it again!" "See you next week".

Partition

Banned
Listen, I think Alfie Allen is the best damn actor in the show but FUCK THEON. I don't want any redemption for that slimy fuck, nothing he does will ever redeem him in my eyes. I don't want him to be constantly tortured but I do think he should die.

It's strange how we can forgive people like Arya and Theon for murdering children

The stink face Obara has on constantly is hilariously awful.

Ok let's not get too crazy here. The dornish stuff is terrible but pretty much everything else is still really solid.

I dunno, the only thing I sort of like is the Jorah/Tyrion stuff, just because it's fun fluff, and Stannis. This season feels like it's going off the rails and the original D&D content is downright bad. Maybe they can salvage it in the next few episodes.

He didn't do much besides siding with his family. He conquered Winterfell without shedding blood and didn't want to kill anyone. Ramsay killed the kids and destroyed Winterfell. Theon paid an exaggerated price for that.

It's strange how we can forgive people like Arya and Theon for murdering children

Do people really forgive Arya? She's my favorite book character but she's basically a psychopath that kills people without a second thought by like halfway through the ASOS.

I wouldn't say I really forgive Theon, but I really love his sort of redemption arc for the awful stuff he did. I'd actually go so far to say that show Theon is a much better character, largely due to Allen's acting but also because they made him much less of an asshole and more conflicted even before now. The scene where he admits to Ramsay that he regrets everything he had done is one of the best original show moments.

Brakke

Banned
He didn't do much besides siding with his family. He conquered Winterfell without shedding blood and didn't want to kill anyone. Ramsay killed the kids and destroyed Winterfell. Theon paid an exaggerated price for that.

What? Theon killed those "Stark" kids. Also killed Rodrick (Rory? something like that), the Stark master-at-arms guy. On scumbaggy-but-less-horrific level he did that cross-eye cabin-wench wrong on the boat.

The north plot was so good in adwd...Frey pies man...Frey pies...

not getting Manderly's following speech is going to suck:

"My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home."

One of my favorites in the entire series. :(

Speevy

Banned
not getting Manderly's following speech is going to suck:

One of my favorites in the entire series. :(

They could probably adapt that speech to fit another character.

The problem with that speech is that the viewer has no idea who any of those people are. So we have to have another several scenes of dialogue to establish who Wyman Manderly is and why we should care. Why have we never heard of this fellow before now? Oberyn had the excuse of living far away.

Sansa could give a similar speech whenever her play comes to fruition.

There's a thing that everyone has to get used to. Television scenes are always better with characters you know and care about.

suzu

It's ok to like characters without having to forgive all the bad things they've done. Even fan favorite Tyrion Lannister has his moments. lol

Unless you're like rooting for people like Ramsay. Whyyy @ some people.

Chuckie

In the book Ramsay marries another character, who is the right age for them to pretend it's Arya. Littlefinger's gave her to them out of his brothels, and so on their wedding night, Ramsay is upset that she is t ready to perform, despite Littlefinger's "training". He orders Theon to warm her up for him. Theon protests that he doesn't have a — and Ramsay cuts him off and tells him to use his tongue. Fun fact: that scene in the book is also the closest thing we get to an explicit reference to Theon being castrated. That's only heavily implied in the book.

It is interesting to note that other character is Jeyne Poole, Sansa's best friend. Tywin sent her to the Boltons, although she was 'provided' by Littlefinger who had her 'trained'.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164396354&postcount=6955

It's never been harder to not go in the no-book thread and shout at people "IT WASN'T GRRM, THE SHOWRUNNERS ARE RUINING HER CHARACTER ARC!"

I can already imagine people coming up to GRRM at cons and ask him to explain the shitty storylines the show did and he had nothing to do with.

Aren't the books supposed to not exist in that thread? Why would the guy who wrote season 1 episode 8, season 2 episode 9, season 3 episode 7, and season 4 episode 2 be to blame for what happened to Sansa?

Ratrat

Aren't the books supposed to not exist in that thread? Why would the guy who wrote season 1 episode 8, season 2 episode 9, season 3 episode 7, and season 4 episode 2 be to blame for what happened to Sansa?
They were shitting on GRRM for the Cersei rape last season too.

Because they don't know what is and isn't adapted straight from the books? For all they know Sansa was raped like that in the books too. It's no different for blaming GRRM for the Red Wedding.

Chopper

What did people expect to happen to Sansa on her wedding night? Cos I expected her to get raped. It was a horrible scene to watch, but it's gonna make Ramsay's comeuppance oh so sweet.

The only thing that bothered me about this episode was Dorne. That fight scene was super weak. I also expected Myrcella to get injured.

Aiii

So not worth it
What did people expect to happen to Sansa on her wedding night?

Sansa uses sex to manipulate Ramsay, because she knows marriage comes with a wedding night and certain "tasks" are asked of a woman when they marry in this world. After all, manipulation is what she's learned from Littefinger, and what better way to manipulate a man than through sex?

Alternatively, she buckles down and takes it, like a STARK OF WINTERFELL who can't be threatened or hurt (at least visibly) by anyone.

Ratrat

How old is Myrcella in the books?
Because she came off as kind of insipid. I was hoping for a contrast with Tommen. Something to suggest she would be the superior ruler.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few book readers in the other thread, that just pretend to know nothing and toy with the true Unsullied.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164396354&postcount=6955

It's never been harder to not go in the no-book thread and shout at people "IT WASN'T GRRM, THE SHOWRUNNERS ARE RUINING HER CHARACTER ARC!"

I can already imagine people coming up to GRRM at cons and ask him to explain the shitty storylines the show did and he had nothing to do with.

This sounds like what people said after the Red Wedding or Ned's death. They think things are finally turning around, then NOPE. You're supposed to feel gutted. Sand ninja turtles notwithstanding.

8a4c0947bfb80108f84174b85d0fb4ee.gif

I honestly cannot tell if this episode is bad or not.. I think I've come to a point where i'll just gladly take any shit GOT throws at me.

wow, the ending destroyed me.. writers built up the hype of sansa can finally hold his own.. and it was all crystallized when she said "im Sansa Stark the house of Winterfell. This is my home and you can't frighten me." I was all
GMxuz.png
Thats as straight as you can get from the horses mouth right there.. then GRRM destroys all that wondrous shit when he had her raped by that asswipe.. Just as when things can't get any worse for her, he made Reek watch it all in what felt like 5 fukin minutes of him just standing there and crying in agony.. I kept teeling to myself dude DO SOMETHING!!! Dude kept crying and screen cuts to black.. . god damn... FU reek. FU ramsey..
N7ZURZd.png

Ratrat

What did people expect to happen to Sansa on her wedding night? Cos I expected her to get raped. It was a horrible scene to watch, but it's gonna make Ramsay's comeuppance oh so sweet.

The only thing that bothered me about this episode was Dorne. That fight scene was super weak. I also expected Myrcella to get injured.
I would not be surprised if Sansa's revenge just consists of killing that nobody Myranda while she is being rescued. A damsel as always. She is not killing Ramsay. Maybe she'll abort his baby....maybe.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Show hasn't really gotten better over the last season. I'm glad it's only going to be around for two more years.

I hope the books live up to themselves when they finally all release in 20 years.

munchie64

Show hasn't really gotten better over the last season. I'm glad it's only going to be around for two more years.

I hope the books live up to themselves when they finally all release in 20 years.
Well being better than season 4 was always gonna be hard.
Season 6 being better than season 5 is definitely possible, (at least in theory cause it's still not over yet. An insane pace and lots of major events will hook non-book readers and critics, I guarantee it) and I think even probable considering they won't make the stupid decision of half-adapting two fricken books.

Brakke

Banned
Alternatively, she buckles down and takes it, like a STARK OF WINTERFELL who can't be threatened or hurt (at least visibly) by anyone.

Sansa isn't a Stark. She has "Littlefinger's brains and Cat's beauty" and nothing of Ned's but his name. Her direwolf is dead. Don't you know about metaphors?

It's ok to like characters without having to forgive all the bad things they've done. Even fan favorite Tyrion Lannister has his moments. lol

Unless you're like rooting for people like Ramsay. Whyyy @ some people.

Contrariness? Don't really care for the series, so want the nasty wee scab to fuck stuff up? There is nothing redeeming about Ramsay save his cunning. He is a maggot. Book or series he is easily my least liked character and that is saying something in this series. But as somebody said earlier, he is literally the only character where everything is going swimmingly for him. Bravo Ramsay!

Ratrat

Contrariness? Don't really care for the series, so want the nasty wee scab to fuck stuff up? There is nothing redeeming about Ramsay save his cunning. He is a maggot. Book or series he is easily my least liked character and that is saying something in this series. But as somebody said earlier, he is literally the only character where everything is going swimmingly for him. Bravo Ramsay!
Except Stannis and Roose Jr. We also know Cersei and Littlefinger want him dead.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sansa isn't a Stark. She has "Littlefinger's brains and Cat's beauty" and nothing of Ned's but his name. Her direwolf is dead. Don't you know about metaphors?

So are we reverting every character back to their pilot persona, or just Sansa?

suzu

Show Ramsay can be amusing sometimes and Iwan Rheon is a good actor..
I just don't get actually rooting for Ramsay (especially after this episode), like that one ecstatic viewer a couple pages ago in the unsullied thread. Ahhhhh.

Brakke

Banned
So are we reverting every character back to their pilot persona, or just Sansa?

What do you mean? Sansa's entire arc has been a constant bend away from her Stark roots.

Sansa's never not once done anything at all Stark-y. She sort of hung out in the Godswood in King's Landing I guess? If she did something in the manner of a STARK IN WINTERFELL it'd be a real surprise, it'd be a major change for her. I don't know why anyone would expect that of her.

It's why Brienne is an interesting foil for Sansa. She's the Ned-ly-est character we've had since Ned. Obstinate, meat-headed loyalty and honorable to a fault. Martial excellence. If Sansa's going to be a Stark she needs Brienne's influence. And she needs to wash out Littlefinger's.

In this way it was good she literally washed out Littlefinger's dye job. That's one step toward being true to her blood. Likewise that shot where she mirrored Cat from way back. So there are glimmers there but she strayed so, so far from her blood it's hard to imagine a way back. The fact that she's the only Stark kid to have lost their direwolf is a Big Deal though. That was the heavy-handiest symbol there ever was, that Wolf killed by an encounter with a Stag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom