• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShift

Can someone please make a version of this comic with Ramsey and Theon? 'Ramsey. What you did is rape. You raped Sansa. REEK REEK'

gLEfUG7.jpg

Jigorath

Banned
Did Edmure rape Roslin Frey?

Yes.

Let's just admit that the marital customs of Westeros are pretty fucked up and what Ramsay did wasn't out of the ordinary, in fact in many ways gentler than usual.

Just because rape is commonplace in Westeros doesn't mean it isn't rape. Forcing yourself on a woman while she's crying and screaming is clearly rape and I'm not sure why I have to explain that.

TCRS

Banned
after the fucking spoilers fucking everywhere I decided to watch the episode. I was planning on watching it tomorrow.

but anyway, yeah that scene was difficult.. poor sansa :/

sandsnake scenes are so goddamn bad man lol. arya scenes were pretty cool. overall good episode.

after the fucking spoilers fucking everywhere I decided to watch the episode. I was planning on watching it tomorrow.

but anyway, yeah that scene was difficult.. poor sansa :/

sandsnake scenes are so goddamn bad man lol. arya scenes were pretty cool. overall good episode.

I think it's a bummer that the rape scene and sandsnake scene are so bad, because the rest of the episode was honestly quite good, I thought. I suppose I'm not super pleased about how the show is handling Loras.

Snake

It is clearly rape. If not the most forcible and violent of rapes ever depicted, then still rape due to her lack of a right to stop it or control it in any way.

But that's not the issue. What happened to Sansa is what happens to most married women in Westeros (and most women throughout real world history), noble or not. The real issue is whether the scene has value to the story or not. My feeling is that it's the wrong choice because it seems to be what they are going to use as Theon's turning point, which treats Sansa cheaply. In essence, Sansa's flesh is sacrificed to save Theon's soul. That could be wrong of course. Maybe the show has properly planned Sansa's own revenge/re-assertion of agency plotline, but I can't assume that and frankly the show hasn't earned my faith in that regard.

Then there's the issue of viewer discomfort with seeing someone put in such a horrible situation after seeing them grow from a child to an adult over the last five years. Yes, you can say that worse things have happened to other characters without the same outcry. But that's how storytelling works. You care a lot more about Eddard Stark being beheaded than Random Lannister Guard #3. So I don't fault people for having a strong negative reaction to this.

bengraven

It is clearly rape. If not the most forcible and violent of rapes ever depicted, then still rape due to her lack of a right to stop it or control it in any way.

But that's not the issue. What happened to Sansa is what happens to most married women in Westeros (and most women throughout real world history), noble or not. The real issue is whether the scene has value to the story or not. My feeling is that it's the wrong choice because it seems to be what they are going to use as Theon's turning point, which treats Sansa cheaply. In essence, Sansa's flesh is sacrificed to save Theon's soul. That could be wrong of course. Maybe the show has properly planned Sansa's own revenge/re-assertion of agency plotline, but I can't assume that and frankly the show hasn't earned my faith in that regard.

Then there's the issue of viewer discomfort with seeing someone put in such a horrible situation after seeing them grow from a child to an adult over the last five years. Yes, you can say that worse things have happened to other characters without the same outcry. But that's how storytelling works. You care a lot more about Eddard Stark being beheaded than Random Lannister Guard #3. So I don't fault people for having a strong negative reaction to this.

This is a good post and basically a summary of how I feel.

kirblar

This scene is really the model it should have gone with if they felt they needed this scene. Show Sansa as someone who's grown cynical enough about the game that she just does what she has to do. She clearly hates it, but whatever. Having Ramsay force it brings her right back to season 2 level. Whatever need they have for Ramsay to be scary could've been handled by having him project his aggression onto Theon rather than Sansa.
This is exactly how I was expecting/hoping it to be handled.

Speevy

Banned
If the rape doesn't have serious ramifications on Sansa's future decisions, then I will probably take a seriously negative stance on this show in general.

They can still make a positive out of it I think.

The (picture spoiler)
Ramsay setting fire to Stannis' camp
thing...I just don't even.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if D and D at some point thought "You know what totally worked last season? The rape. Let's make that a yearly thing."

Moff

That would not make much sense, would it?

This is why combining Jeanne Poole with Sansa is such a stupid idea, Jeanne has a horrible life and is forced to pretend to be someone else and to be married to a psycho, of course she wants to scape, Sansa wants to get revenge and get back her homeland, the one thing she doesn't want to do is leave, the relationship with Winterfell is diametrically opposite for these two so it's really hard to defend D&D choice here of mixing both storylines, it really seems they basically wanted Sansa to be tortured again for no reason at all.
I think it makes perfect sense. she thought she could make it, but that rape will break her. the setup makes it obvious that she will now light the candle.

Agree, that if this is used to advance Theon and Sansa just basically goes back to her old self than it was a pretty bad. I am hoping that is not the case.

Brakke

Banned
Can we keep "was it rape" over in the thread dedicated to was it rape? It's v boring. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048323

Whether she "chose" to be used by Ramsay under her free will in perfect understanding that it's a means to an end doesn't matter. The outcome would've been the same whether she consented or not. If her goal was to have sex with Ramsay as a way of getting some control or power or influence over him, then she failed utterly in advancing that goal. So she's a victim or she's completely incompetent. Either way the scene doesn't represent any kind of character development. The only thing she's ever been on the show has been a victim or an incompetent knucklehead, save that one scene vs the Lords of the Vale and one good quip vs Myranda.

Dope, reading this now. Thanks.

To be fair, we don't know that Valyria hadn't discovered those things.

But also, in political economy terms, devastating and frequent multi-year ice ages (which is basically what Westerosi winters are) are going to prevent the accumulation of value that is necessary for technological and economic progress.

If we'd been hit by an ice age or a Black Plague every other decade for the last 500 years we wouldn't have invented any of that stuff either.

Wealth is definitely accumulating. The Iron Bank has all kind of capital they could be investing out. The world has markets, there is a global trade system. Surely someone's realized that there's a big win to be had if the Arbor could produce more wine more reliably.

Plus there's all kind of advancement you can make during winter, it's ridiculous that maesters haven't yet figured out that bleeding people with epilepsy doesn't help at all. You can run that experiment indoors by the fireplace lol.

Jigorath

Banned
I remember she was crying because she knew of the Red wedding and was sad, but she liked Edmure a lot.

Also this thread reminds me of mid-2014.

Is that why she was crying? Well alright, then those are completely different situations. But my point stands, what happened with Sansa was rape.

IRONBORN ALERT..questionable source

IMDB says Balon Greyjoy is in Episode 10

Sounds like all five of the Five Kings will be dead by season's end.

And I wonder if they'll be much more explicit about
the Faceless Men killing him

Radically-altered Kingsmoot in Season 6?

Kain

Is that why she was crying? Well alright, then those are completely different situations. But my point stands, what happened with Sansa was rape.

Of course it is. It's a strange rape situation nonetheless as she was there voluntarily and she knew exactly what was going to happen. Either she is a moron or she has some kind of plan. If she had a plan it's a strange one, but of well, this is a series where Jaime Lannister goes from awesome to rapist to whipped puppy.

mantidor

I'd say it's a grey area because if you say "they should only have sex when they're not scared" I think they would need to rename it Virginos.

Well all these political marriages are by definition made for the purpose of political gain and not for love or attraction, so presumably all those consummations are not at all desired in and of themselves, but only to make the marriage. Isn't that how we're defining rape here? Sansa doesn't want to lose her virginity to Ramsay, but she wants the marriage, and that means it MUST be consummated, which is why she goes to their bedchamber and takes off her clothes and doesn't in ANY way protest.

The thing is that this bedding was practically cartoonish, the most sadistic member of the cast marries the innocent virgin. Of course he will rape her.

Arranged marriages are not simple topic, so it's dissapointing if the books don't address it much, are we to assume Ned raped Cat as well? Because I doubt it, I also doubt they were that much into it, but I'm also sure it was a far cry from Ramsay/Sansa.

Violater

Barristan was the last white knight on the show, there should be little hope of any moral high ground from here on out.
I'm just going to enjoy the detour the show takes, knowing it will reach the same eventual destination as the books "hopefully".

Brakke

Banned
53545deaa2bf4fe641df3f5d_stannis_leech.gif

Barristan was the last white knight on the show, there should be little hope of any moral high ground from here on out.
I'm just going to enjoy the detour the show takes, knowing it will reach the same eventual destination as the books "hopefully".

Brienne tho.

Moff

I just realized we had snow in winterfell already, I assumed they would make a big deal out of that, was there snow before so far south?

Iksenpets

Banned
IRONBORN ALERT..questionable source

IMDB says Balon Greyjoy is in Episode 10

Did not expect that at all, if true. I thought for sure that would be handled off screen whenever they got to it.

If they do one ironborn scene in each of season 3, 4, and 5, their ironborn plot better pay off big time to justify that level of stringing it out. They Greyjoys would be second only to the White Walkers in terms of teasing "this'll be important later, we promise".

I just realized we had snow in winterfell already, I assumed they would make a big deal out of that, was there snow before so far south?

Next episode is definitely going to make a big deal out of the snowfall, since it will be the start of Stannis being stuck in it.

Moff

This would be awful on several levels, lets hope is not the case.

I think that's pretty much clear. sansa, theon and brienne will go to stannis camp and help reclaim winterfell. it would be highly unbelievable that sansa still wanted to stay with ramsay after he raped her.

jett

D-Member
You'd have to go back to season 3 to find an episode with lower ratings than the last one.

HBO cancelling this show confirmed.

mantidor

I think that's pretty much clear. sansa, theon and brienne will go to stannis camp and help reclaim winterfell. it would be highly unbelievable that sansa still wanted to stay with ramsay after he raped her.

Which would be a new low for the writing.

She should leave or light the candle if her life is actually in danger, not because of a rape that she probably saw coming. If she does it because of that they would throw away all the build up of her arc and would indeed make me drop this show, because everything people are complaining about the rape would actually be true.

Speevy

Banned
Can I edit IMDB so that Walder Frey, Wyman Manderly, Lady Stoneheart, Moonboy, Arianne Martell, Victarion Greyjoy, Euron Greyjoy, Jeyne Poole, Greatjon Umber, Rickon Stark, Hodor, Undead Karl Tanner, All of Dany's dragons, Bryden Tully, Hot Pie, Gendry, Ilyn Payne, The Ghost of Lyanna Stark, and The Hound appear in 5.10?

Moff

Which would be a new low for the writing.

She should leave or light the candle if her life is actually in danger, not because of a rape that she probably saw coming. If she does it because of that they would throw away all the build up of her arc and would indeed make me drop this show, because everything people are complaining about the rape would actually be true.

I don't know what you are talking about. it was not her idea to reclaim winterfell, it was littlefingers idea. she initially didn't want to and he had to persuade her.
littlefinger putting her there is questionable, but all of sansas reactions have made perfect sense so far, and that includes lighting the candle and flee with theon after she was raped.

and I don't agree that this would make the complaints about the rape scene true, quite the contrary. if she would continie as if nothing happened it would be exactly the unnessecary shock scene people try to make it. but it actually is important to advance the plot, the rape makes her flee winterfell.

bengraven

I wonder if events from this will end up bringing Tyrion to Winterfell.

I remember the original draft mentioned him eventually becoming lord of Winterfell and if Ramsay is killed soon, then people might be like "well she was married to Tyrion first and they never officially were annulled...". Tyrion informs Dany that his wife is in Winterfell and bing, he becomes Warden of the North for her and is the one who has to face the White Walkers. It would be a bit poetic with him having been interested in going north to see the wall, hearing the plea of Mormont, etc.

-----

Peter Dinklage performs Game of Thrones: The Musical for Red Nose Day

Game of Thrones: The Musical. For Red Nose Day on NBC, Coldplay and Peter Dinklage join forces for the band's most important project yet: a musical for HBO’s Game of Thrones.
Watch Red Nose Day and help lift children out of poverty on Red Nose Day, May 21 8/7c on NBC.

bengraven

SamVimes

The trial to loras was terrible as well. Not even a young black man in Mississippi would be indicted with that kind of proof. Nevermind the show perpetuating stereotypes.

So yeah, if you don't count 70% of the episode it wasn't that bad.

Moff

The trial to loras was terrible as well. Not even a young black man in Mississippi would be indicted with that kind of proof. Nevermind the show perpetuating stereotypes.

So yeah, if you don't count 70% of the episode it wasn't that bad.

that wasn't the trial, it was a hearing and will now go to trial

Doesn't make sense for it to work out that way if they're adapting the books whatsoever, tbh - someone's got to stay behind at Winterfell to make some shit go down there at the same time that the battle is raging.

-griffy-

Banned
If it hasn't been mentioned already, the latest episode had the lowest ratings of the series on Rotten Tomatoes, coming out to a 59% and the first ever Rotten Rating an episode of Game of Thrones has received: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s05/e06/

Incredibly weird that the average rating is still 8/10. I'm not even sure how that's possible if 41% of the reviews are rotten, therefore graded as 5.9/10 max (just did some math, I guess if ALL the positive reviews are 10/10, and ALL the negative reviews are 6/10, then the average would be around 8.3/10, which feeds into my next point...). Rotten Tomatoes TV reviews are kind of weird anyways, as most TV "reviews" aren't really reviews but recaps with some critique mixed in, and not many even have scores. Most episodes of most shows wind up with 100%, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom