• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

Doesn't make sense for it to work out that way if they're adapting the books whatsoever, tbh - someone's got to stay behind at Winterfell to make some shit go down there at the same time that the battle is raging.

who is still in winterfell in the books?
and it's just a battle, the can make it work completely differently, like blackwater. I don't see why that should be a big deal.

-griffy-

Banned
Same night as the Mad Men series finale. Nothing competes with that.

Mad Men finale didn't even have more viewers than the premiere of that season. I'd wager GOT still had around double the live broadcast viewers, and probably considerably more when you include all the other avenues people have to watch HBO now.

who is still in winterfell in the books?
and it's just a battle, the can make it work completely differently, like blackwater. I don't see why that should be a big deal.

I remain pretty disappointed that they don't seem to be doing an entire Winterfell-centric episode the way they did for Blackwater or the battle at the Wall. The Wall episode kinda sucked, but Winterfell's got tons of characters converging on it (like with the Blackwater episode) and I think they'd be able to do a lot more quiet dialogue work taking place inside of the walls as well as addressing the battle out in the blizzard.

And I'm way more interested in Winterfell than in the Hardhome stuff, which is probably just being treated as a big deal because they need this season's "hey don't forget about the White Walkers and all of the bad shit beyond the wall" scene.

Moff

I remain pretty disappointed that they don't seem to be doing an entire Winterfell-centric episode the way they did for Blackwater or the battle at the Wall. The Wall episode kinda sucked, but Winterfell's got tons of characters converging on it (like with the Blackwater episode) and I think they'd be able to do a lot more quiet dialogue work taking place inside of the walls as well as addressing the battle out in the blizzard.

And I'm way more interested in Winterfell than in the Hardhome stuff.

well a battle in winterfell would have been what we have seen several times by now, a battle between walls. if the rumours about hardhome are true it will be spectacular and definitely not possible in winterfell. but we probably won't see the stannis/bolton battle anyway if they try to keep the outcome a secret like in the books.

well a battle in winterfell would have been what we have seen several times by now, a battle between walls. if the rumours about hardhome are true it will be spectacular and definitely not possible in winterfell. but we probably won't see the stannis/bolton battle anyway if they try to keep the outcome a secret like in the books.

Sorry, what I meant to describe was the snowed-in Winterfell scenes while the frozen lake battle stuff happens a few miles away. A battle actually taking place within the walls of Winterfell would kinda suck.

And to be honest, I can't see them trying to keep the outcome a big secret because the false/hidden identity stuff and the death fakeouts are strictly the result of the books' POV-based narrative, and the show has eschewed nearly all of that up until now. The battle might not happen at all until next season, but if it doesn't happen, we won't see other storylines clearly moving past it in the timeline this season either.

Brakke

Banned
You guys seem to be using "ratings" to mean both critical reception and also viewership interchangeably.

Was viewership low on this one? I haven't seen a source for that.

Holy shit dude, absence of a 'no' is not a 'yes'. It boggles my mind that there's a debate about whether marital rape occurred.

When you walk into a room presumably for the sole purpose of consummating the marriage you deliberately sought out, and then don't make any protest whatsoever or give any resistance whatsoever to the sex act that follows, it is completely absurd to call what happens rape.

it would be highly unbelievable that sansa still wanted to stay with ramsay after he raped her.

Again: She came to Winterfell for the sole purpose of marrying Ramsay (Littlefinger convinced her it would lead her to power/revenge/controlling her own future). There is no marriage without the consummation. If consummating the marriage would make her leave -- and obviously she would never *want* to fuck him -- then why would she have bothered marrying him in the first place?

Barristan was the last white knight on the show, there should be little hope of any moral high ground from here on out.
I'm just going to enjoy the detour the show takes, knowing it will reach the same eventual destination as the books "hopefully".
John Snow, bro.

hoos30

The trial to loras was terrible as well. Not even a young black man in Mississippi would be indicted with that kind of proof. Nevermind the show perpetuating stereotypes.

So yeah, if you don't count 70% of the episode it wasn't that bad.
It wasn't a trial, it was an inquest. How much "proof" was submitted during the Spanish Inquisition?

Turin

Banned
When you walk into a room presumably for the sole purpose of consummating the marriage you deliberately sought out, and then don't make any protest whatsoever or give any resistance whatsoever to the sex act that follows, it is completely absurd to call what happens rape.

Regardless of what she knew going into that room, she was cruelly sexually assaulted/violated/humiliated. That is rape.

Dysun

I always thought it was strange how much praise critics give random episode X regardless of the content that was in it. Even the fans of the show can point out stronger or weaker episodes throughout a season.

Such as when Daenerys gets focused on for an episode

nib95

Banned
Which is sad because other than SanSnakeSa, the episode was fantastic.

Goes to show you that word of mouth in the age of delayed watching is dangerous.

Completely disagree. I think it's been rather poor, and explained a few of the reasons why earlier. The RT score and reviews of the episode are in-line with what I would have expected.

I've found the writing, choreography, general direction of the narrative and some of scenes rather stupid of late. The whole religious fanatics getting to ultimate power so quickly, and to the extent that the King's own army seems to be missing, the King's complete ineptitude, the awful Sand Snakes, the idiocy of Jaime's mission and the way it was all shown. Honestly feels like the series is sort of going to shit. No idea if GRM or the shows writers are to blame, as I have not read the books.

It's a shame that such a strong Arya storyline got lumped in with the rape and Sand Snakes debacle.

Yeah, I honestly think that the Game of Faces stuff was brilliant and a lot better as storytelling than the blind combat training stuff from the books (and a pretty necessary choice since they've pretty clearly decided that Bran's the only warg on the show and haven't done anything to set up the other Stark children as wargs). It did a great job of illustrating how the Faceless Men are at once quite sinister and also all about offering a truly compassionate and respectful death. I think that, for all of the flaws with the Dorne and Winterfell stuff this season, from the production design to the writing they've really been knocking the House of Black and White material out of the park.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not sure how sweeping generalizations of character arc ruination for Sansa's future can me made so definitively when that was the last scene of the episode. Do we really think that there's no possible direction from here on out? It's all part of the plan. It should become clearer by the end of the season. I'm not sure that would make people who hated the scene for plot reasons come around, though.

Building a character up and then cutting them back down again is a fairly recurring theme in this book/show. Usually, however, the cutting down part is represented by death. Not much character development for most characters to go from there. Only Cat.

I'm not sure how sweeping generalizations of character arc ruination for Sansa's future can me made so definitively when that was the last scene of the episode. Do we really think that there's no possible direction from here on out? It's all part of the plan. It should become clearer by the end of the season. I'm not sure that would make people who hated the scene for plot reasons come around, though.

Building a character up and then cutting them back down again is a fairly recurring theme in this book/show. Usually, however, the cutting down part is represented by death. Not much character development for most characters to go from there. Only Cat.
I think the issue is really that Sansa's entire story up until this season has consisted entirely of cutting her down. Was there any real benefit to one more scene of Ramsay being sadistic or one more scene of Sansa being victimized?

And I'm way more interested in Winterfell than in the Hardhome stuff, which is probably just being treated as a big deal because they need this season's "hey don't forget about the White Walkers and all of the bad shit beyond the wall" scene.

Hardhome is so Jon can be all heroic so the betrayal and death will be more shocking.

Ah, good old season 3, when people were upset that Sansa wasn't raped like she was in the books.

wat

Killer

Banned
The ending of the last episode was really unsettling. I applaud them for trying something no other TV shows are doing. So far the season has been a let down in terms of events etc.

The amount of hate the recent episode gets is just ridiculous. Typical internet bandwagon mentality.

Sure, the Sand Snakes stuff was bad and that final scene controversial (I won't repeat my opinion here), but that episode sure isn't 40% weaker than those preceding it. But who gives a fuck about Rotten Tomatoes anyway?

Zolo

The amount of hate the recent episode gets is just ridiculous. Typical internet bandwagon mentality.

Sure, the Sand Snakes stuff was bad and that final scene controversial (I won't repeat my opinion here), but that episode sure isn't 40% weaker than those preceding it. But who gives a fuck about Rotten Tomatoes anyway?

It's more indicative of showing the usual critic's reactions to the events than actually going 'yeah. You should totally count on RT for episode reviews.'.

nib95

Banned

It's not just the rape scene though, many elements with the episode were lacklustre.

- The Sand Snakes in general
- The way Jaime and Bronn just stroll their way to the princess with little to no effort
- The entire fight between the Sand Snakes and Jaime/Bronn, and what followed
- The way Ellaria Sand is just waiting and surprised to be caught in that exact same spot as her last scene
- The dragged out Ayra storyline
- The inquisition and the way it was handled
- The speed at which the fanatics have taken ultimate power
- The King's army or numerous guards apparently no longer existing
- Tommen's complete ineptitude and lack of care for Margaery
- The rape scene and it's implications (damsel in distress part 23, even though we built her up to be more)
- And so on.

Regardless of what she knew going into that room, she was cruelly sexually assaulted/violated/humiliated. That is rape.

Pain and humiliation don't mean it's rape, sorry. There is one thing and one thing only that makes a rape, and that's lack of consent.

I think the issue is really that Sansa's entire story up until this season has consisted entirely of cutting her down. Was there any real benefit to one more scene of Ramsay being sadistic or one more scene of Sansa being victimized?

So which of Sansa's humiliation/loss/abuse incidents should they have drawn the line at, past which point it's "bad writing"?

The Sand Snakes sounded cool from the ASIOF wiki synopses.

I thought they were terrible and utterly forgettable when I read the book. I couldn't for the life of me tell you what they did or what the point of them was.

nib95

Banned
Pain and humiliation don't mean it's rape, sorry. There is one thing and one thing only that makes a rape, and that's lack of consent.

You have a very warped idea of what constitutes rape. If you had a reputation for being a murderous maniac, pulled a knife on a women and then told her to undress so you could fuck her, and she did reluctantly, whilst visibly in fear and distress, it's not rape because she never specifically said no? Smh...

Damerman

And Doran too, who barely gets any screentime this season.

totally agreed. I'm just praying that they kill all of them off soon and introduce an Arianne Martell who does a way better accent then that one girl with the spear (shudder)

EDIT: the Actor for Doran is good, but all of his scenes so far seem inconsequential, so it's more on the writers than the actor, director and set designers.

Moff

The Sand Snakes sounded cool from the ASIOF wiki synopses. How did D&D fuck them up so bad?

I wouldn't go so far that they were worse than in the show, but I doubt anyone cared if they didn't appear, they were extremely boring and uninteresting. and honestly, at least as far as we have seen, I don't think D&D "fucked them up", what made them so bad so far was bad acting and terrible fight choreography.

Reading the separate rape thread made me think if those "for rape" people would change their mind if they've read the books.
totally agreed. I'm just praying that they kill all of them off soon and introduce an Arianne Martell who does a way better accent then that one girl with the spear (shudder)
Man, D&D! We have a calm, calculating mastermind, but all they focused on are medieval comic heroes that suck at fighting.

Damerman

It's not just the rape scene though, many elements with the episode were lacklustre.

- The Sand Snakes in general
- The way Jaime and Bronn just stroll their way to the princess with little to no effort
- The entire fight between the Sand Snakes and Jaime/Bronn, and what followed
- The way Ellaria Sand is just waiting and surprised to be caught in that exact same spot as her last scene
- The dragged out Ayra storyline
- The inquisition and the way it was handled
- The speed at which the fanatics have taken ultimate power
- The King's army or numerous guards apparently no longer existing
- Tommen's complete ineptitude and lack of care for Margaery
- The rape scene and it's implications (damsel in distress part 23, even though we built her up to be more)
- And so on.
this is spot on. i really liked the first 5 episodes, and i forgave them for
killing barristan
... but man o man... this episode was significantly lacking in quality

nib95

Banned

There is such a thing as a non verbal lack of consent, and generally it tends to occur under threat or fear of assault, violence, murder, torture and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom