• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Rolling the "Mercy" chapter into the Night's Watch kill makes sense, which would likely end up with her blind at the end of the season. I suspect we'll get a lot more of her in S6.

Damerman

I just noticed that on the HBO Greyjoy family tree Balon is listed as having no brothers (Euron was listed last season)

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-5/episode-5/houses/8/house-greyjoy

But after seeing how the show writers butchered Dorne, maybe cutting everything aside from King's Landing and the North (Jon and Stannis) is for the best.

i really don't think they could mess up Euron and Victarion... it's way more simple than how they had to cut Arianne and then replace her with a very inconsequential character with inconsequential motives who seeks help from three other inconsequential characters.

I would also hope that we make the distinction between the Dorne plot and the sand snakes/jamie and bron plot. we haven't had enough exposure to dorne yet. But i definitely think we have had enough of the sand snakes and Jamie and Bron bromance.

cj_iwakura

They can do the white eyes thing with Jon and then show a brief shot of Ghost - end scene. If viewers can't put that together... lol.

I'm sure there will be lots and lots of hinting at it in the previews. They're about as subtle as a brick to the head.

Brakke

Banned
It'll be p fucked up of Jon's human body dies and he goes into Ghost. Wargs can't go from animal bodies to human bodies, right? At least, that's what the Prologue with Varamyr seems to say. Also warging into a human body is a fucked up thing to do.

also Kit Harrington 2 dreamy 2 lose~~~

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It'll be p fucked up of Jon's human body dies and he goes into Ghost. Wargs can't go from animal bodies to human bodies, right? At least, that's what the Prologue with Varamyr seems to say. Also warging into a human body is a fucked up thing to do.

In Ghost until Mel resurrects his human body so he can jump back in so that he doesn't experience any of the negatives of being resurrected that Beric Dondarrion did.

Damerman

i don't remember anything like that.
Stannis dies in the Battle of Ice, Melisandre resurrects Jon in Stannis's body. Now Stannis is Azor Ahai.

thats crazy as fuck lol

duckroll

Hmmm. I'm looking at the ratings descriptors on HBO for the remaining episode. Only episode 7 and episode 10 list "nudity" in the content. Doesn't that confirm that Cersei's walk of shame is in the season finale?

hoos30

You know what's funny is that the best parts of the show are smaller scenes that were written by George for the books. Having a weak outline of the next two novels, the writers can't adapt those smaller scenes since he hasn't written them yet.

So naturally the quality is going to drop substantially.

They're morally opposed to pre-maritial flirting, but not post-marital sexual assault.
Tywin, Lady Ollena, Jorah and Tyrion say hi. Plenty of other writers have contributed to the show's best dialog.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I keep reading things like "If they had followed the book, Sansa's arc would have just had her wandering aimlessly through the Vale for the whole season! So boring lol!"

Like, the show was - pretty much - caught up with her arc in the books by the end of season 4. Maybe there was one chapter left where Littlefinger detailed his plan for her to marry Harry the Heir, but there was nothing beyond that.

There is no evidence that any part of her TWOW arc will be boring and aimless, so why all the contrary assumptions?

Also, "It wouldn't have translated well to TV!"

Again, how do we know? The Winds of Winter isn't out yet so how do we know how adaptable it is or isn't? That it's any more or less adaptable than any of her arcs in the previous books?

TRios Zen

So I've missed all except the latest preview chapter - are previous ones just gone? I can't find them on the web site anymore.

Damn life for getting in way of my GRRM addiction!

Massa

I keep reading things like "If they had followed the book, Sansa's arc would have just had her wandering aimlessly through the Vale for the whole season! So boring lol!"

Like, the show was - pretty much - caught up with her arc in the books by the end of season 4. Maybe there was one chapter left where Littlefinger detailed his plan for her to marry Harry the Heir, but there was nothing beyond that.

There is no evidence that any part of her TWOW arc will be boring and aimless, so why all the contrary assumptions?

Also, "It wouldn't have translated well to TV!"

Again, how do we know? The Winds of Winter isn't out yet so how do we know how adaptable it is or isn't? That it's any more or less adaptable than any of her arcs in the previous books?

Nobody is assuming that Sansa's TWOW arc is boring and aimless, what they said is that they couldn't do her book plot until the rest of the story catches up with her (for example, it may depend on Stannis defeating the Boltons before any of it can happen). So rather than having her sit a season out waiting for that to happen, or create filler content for her in the Vale, they did this.

See my post here. If warging is a necessary part of Jon's story, there are very easy ways they can reintroduce it to remind the audience if they need to.

Hell, with that article about the wolf,
it says his "big moment" is in the May 24th episode, which would be this Sunday, which would be before Jon is even at Hardhome. Maybe they are going to straight up introduce Jon having a warg ability this week? Or maybe Ghost is just gonna be chewing on a bone again. I'm honestly curious what Ghost's big moment could be in this episode, compared to Hardhome or when Jon is stabbed.

We have an episode this sunday?

Speaking of reminding the audience of warging, I really hate the "previously on" thing before each episode now. I know why they do it but it just gives me the impression of poor writing and a lack of foresight on future plot points. Like hey remember that time that grayscale was mentioned back in S2 but never again? Or how Rhaegar/Lyanna is suddenly important again after 5 seasons? It basically spoils the contents of the episode before it even happens.

Also our imagined season finales are going to be way better than whatever we get, most likely.

Hmmm. I'm looking at the ratings descriptors on HBO for the remaining episode. Only episode 7 and episode 10 list "nudity" in the content. Doesn't that confirm that Cersei's walk of shame is in the season finale?

A good season-ender for Cersei would be either her letter to Jaime or ZombieMountain, which would make sense to happen right after the walk ends.

bengraven

Tywin, Lady Ollena, Jorah and Tyrion say hi. Plenty of other writers have contributed to the show's best dialog.

I don't mean dialogue at all. The show has created great character moments, but the bits of the story that move things forward, the scenes that wow you, until now are all George's. Now the show needs to do them and it's failing.

Speevy

Banned
I don't mean dialogue at all. The show has created great character moments, but the bits of the story that move things forward, the scenes that wow you, until now are all George's. Now the show needs to do them and it's failing.

I think the best moments from the writers of this show happen as they are transformed from characters giving speeches to flesh-and-blood human beings.

The first problem with adapting the books is depicted in its best art. It looks and sounds like a series of (very dark) fantasy books. We sit and talk about how this or that didn't live up to how George described it, but the events of the show do fit the adult flesh-and-blood men and women who are inhabited by these actors.

It's how you get from this

Stannis_Baratheon.jpg

to

7fcJMGG.png

I think the best moments from the writers of this show happen as they are transformed from characters giving speeches to flesh-and-blood human beings.

The first problem with adapting the books is depicted in its best art. It looks and sounds like a series of (very dark) fantasy books. We sit and talk about how this or that didn't live up to how George described it, but the events of the show do fit the adult flesh-and-blood men and women who are inhabited by these actors.

It's how you get from this

Amok's art just makes everyone look really ugly. The show has people that look like actual human beings.

Brakke

Banned
i don't remember anything like that.

Yeh. Varamyr Sixskins says so. He learned it from a warg teacher guy. I think the deal is warging is endemic to your birth body? So even if you took another human you wouldn't be able to warg any more. It might be a time-dependent thing. He talks about how the longer you stay warged in an animal the more and more animalistic you become so eventually you totally forget human stuff.

Certainly that dude's human body dies and he embraces life as a wolf expecting it'll be forevermore. Ghost fights his pack later. I can't remember if he kills Sixskins or just cows him though.

Dance and Feast have shitty prologues. Neither is relevant until hundreds of pages later, neither pays off until TWOW at the earliest. You would forget about this because it doesn't matter and it's not acknowledged or addressed elsewhere in the books.

In Ghost until Mel resurrects his human body so he can jump back in so that he doesn't experience any of the negatives of being resurrected that Beric Dondarrion did.

This sounds dumb but kind of likely? It's a weird thing to do in the show tho. Nobody really remembers Dondarion talking about how came back a little bit less each time. Also one ressurection doesn't seem like it's too detrimental. The whole problem here is it's such pointless lore wankery. Inventing magical problems that require inventing magical solutions is p lame.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nobody is assuming that Sansa's TWOW arc is boring and aimless, what they said is that they couldn't do her book plot until the rest of the story catches up with her (for example, it may depend on Stannis defeating the Boltons before any of it can happen). So rather than having her sit a season out waiting for that to happen, or create filler content for her in the Vale, they did this.

Some people are saying stuff like that and some are saying "they couldn't do her book plot until the rest of the story catches up with her." It's not one or the other.

Massa

Some people are saying stuff like that and some are saying "they couldn't do her book plot until the rest of the story catches up with her." It's not one or the other.

The latter is what the show creators said though. I personally haven't seen anyone criticize her TWOW material but if someone has they're idiots, the book isn't even out yet.

Speevy

Banned
With the way this show telegraphs its events long in advance, do you think there was anything to Tyrion's season 4 comment?

"Sansa's not a killer...not yet anyway."

Patriots7

With the way this show telegraphs its events long in advance, do you think there was anything to Tyrion's season 4 comment?

"Sansa's not a killer...not yet anyway."
They also had her die her hair for...6 episodes? I frankly don't believe they knew where they were taking Sansa in Season 4/5.

I really liked the theory that Sansa would have to kill Robert to position Harry as the Lord of the Vale. Show her desperation and desire to reclaim her land and the lengths that she would go to do so.

Although as much as I want that to happen in the books, the show had better not take her back to the Vale.

Arkeband

Banned
Speaking of reminding the audience of warging, I really hate the "previously on" thing before each episode now. I know why they do it but it just gives me the impression of poor writing and a lack of foresight on future plot points. Like hey remember that time that grayscale was mentioned back in S2 but never again? Or how Rhaegar/Lyanna is suddenly important again after 5 seasons? It basically spoils the contents of the episode before it even happens.

Also our imagined season finales are going to be way better than whatever we get, most likely.

A good season-ender for Cersei would be either her letter to Jaime or ZombieMountain, which would make sense to happen right after the walk ends.

Robert Strong is kind of the entire point of the Walk of Shame. It's a great scene depicting Cersei suffering, but the gut-punch is her passing out into the arms of a giant tank of a knight with a billowing white Kingsguard cape.

That's the "OH SHIT" moment.

Speevy

Banned
Robert Strong is kind of the entire point of the Walk of Shame. It's a great scene depicting Cersei suffering, but the gut-punch is her passing out into the arms of a giant tank of a knight with a billowing white Kingsguard cape.

That's the "OH SHIT" moment.

Well, unless he's just under that sheet in Qyburn's lab to freak people out, I reckon we'll see him.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think Ellarianne could have worked if they actually developed it a little bit, if she actually took a few minutes to talk with someone and come up with the Queenmaker plan, instead of just running around shouting revenge and having three girls who follow her blindly. Like, if we had an actual scene of Ellaria and the Sand Snakes talking like real people. Their problem isn't so much the characters they chose to use as it is their apparent belief that the story and the characters and their motivations all have to be as mind-numbingly simple as possible or else they'll confuse people.

Without Quentyn, however, wouldn't the queenmaker storyline be incomplete?

Pulling out segments of mini-recaps edited down to a few lines of comment on an event or arc and comparing against George's text isn't exactly a fair comparison imo.

Makes for a "fun" meme though, which is what people are trying to accomplish... -_-

Lothar

Banned
Whatever he said about it, it really did come off like Feast of Crows paragraph in the show. It was great scene. My favorite in that episode. Maisie certainly didn't act like she was only thinking about revenge there.

Rolling the "Mercy" chapter into the Night's Watch kill makes sense, which would likely end up with her blind at the end of the season. I suspect we'll get a lot more of her in S6.

I think Arya going blind and then regaining her vision isn't going to happen on the show, because it doesn't really end up being directly consequential so much as it's just the way GRRM chooses to portray part of her training.

So how will
kevan and maester pycelle
die?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Littlefinger do it, tbh. The show's pretty much made him the only person directly interested in sowing chaos, whereas in the books Varys is interested in doing it for his own reasons.

--

As for the Jon-getting-stabbed stuff, I think people hoping that we'll just get the cliffhanger are really just desperate for one more 'shocker' moment to hold over non-book-readers' heads. If he gets stabbed this season, there's also gonna be an obvious suggestion of his resurrection this season. Sorry y'all.

Saw this on reddit...fairly relevant I think regarding D&D's lack of subtlety and such.

SWov77B.jpg

this makes me confident in how they'll handle Arya once they run out of book material
:(

though I'd say she's probably had the highest quality scenes/reworkings of book material for the entire show, so maybe there's a chance

^obviously I'm looking forward to the reactions whenever it goes down, but I also think that it would be the absolute perfect way to end the season in terms of television. Even if in the previews they're all like "hey remember wargs?" or "hey remember how that Beric guy you'll never see again was revived by the red god?" it would still be awesome. Otherwise I'm definitely expecting it in Hardhome, but that would be less awesome.

Zolo

Yeah. It's weird because Maise's performance was obviously done in a way that she was thinking about her family.....not revenge.

Iksenpets

Banned
Without Quentyn, however, wouldn't the queenmaker storyline be incomplete?

I don't think so. I could see something like (terrible fanfic warning):

1. Cold open in Dorne, Sand Snakes and Trystane and Myrcella all in the Water Gardens hanging out, Doran and Hotah watching above, to briefly show them as normal people living their lives before Ellaria shows up with the bad news.
2. Ellaria confronts Doran alone, wants him to call the banners and March north. Doran refuses, no interest in war.
3. Scene of the Sand Snakes talking about their father, Ellaria arrives, they ask what Doran said. When she says Doran plans to do nothing, Obara gets mad and says they should go break in and kills Myrcella themselves as revenge. Ellaria slaps her because that's dumb and Oberyn would never want them to hurt that girl. Trystane is going to marry her and she's going to be family, and they've all grown fond of her while she's been here. One of the other two Snakes throws out the idea that they don't need to kill the girl to start a war, just crown her instead.
4. Ellaria and one or two of the Sand Snakes go find Myrcella in the gardens, where she and Trystane are making out and whining about why his dad won't let them get married yet. Ellaria counters that it's such a shame the rest of the country doesn't follow Dornish law and treat women equal to men in inheritance. Then she would be Queen and no one could stop her from marrying Trystane. And she's such a smart girl, too! Would make a great queen. Basically trying to plant the idea in Myrcella's head to work her over. Then, if they want their fight scene, Jaime and Bronn can arrive for a much less silly version of the fight. They could maybe not talk about the Snakes as fighters at all before that, so that it would be surprising when they stand up to Jaime and Bronn, instead of underwhelming. Hotah comes and arrests everyone, probably just as they're about to kill Jaime, for dramatic effect, and from there they can pick up with whatever they're building to currently in the show. No Quentyn or Arianne needed.

As for the Jon-getting-stabbed stuff, I think people hoping that we'll just get the cliffhanger are really just desperate for one more 'shocker' moment to hold over non-book-readers' heads. If he gets stabbed this season, there's also gonna be an obvious suggestion of his resurrection this season. Sorry y'all.

Completely agree. If he gets stabbed this season which honestly I'm expecting. All the subtle hints and the stuff going on with Olly. His resurrection needs to take place this season as well.

Completely agree. If he gets stabbed this season which honestly I'm expecting. All the subtle hints and the stuff going on with Olly. His resurrection needs to take place this season as well.

Not to mention it's not as though book readers were devastated by that scene, because basically anyone with half a brain could guess that he's not gone for good. Why should nonreaders be devastated by it either?

What's great about the series (books and show) is the overall plotting and worldbuilding and the memorable characters, IMO, not the huge shocker moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom