• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
With Margery and Loras imprisoned would make more sense for the Tyrell army to be in force at King's Landing, no?

That would actually be considered a declaration of war. Think more in terms of Rickard Karstark's execution, and how all the men marched home.

hoos30

Saw on cnn that the red woman's actress posted a selfie on set this week or last. Are episodes for the current season still being filmed? I assumed everything was done orior to the airing of episode one. I don't follow the production info much.

I don't follow production, but I think they recently began filming season 6.

IIRC, it takes them almost exactly 12 months to film and post 10 episodes.

Speevy

Banned
Not sure what part is dumb "for Reddit". The line about Needle being a tool for revenge was spoken by Weiss in the official behind-the-scenes video for that episode.

It is a tool for revenge. Every time Arya has pulled it out, it has been to defend herself or remind another character how she's going to stick it in every character who ever wronged her.

It also reminds her of her family. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Shooting always starts around June/July so they should be starting pretty soon. I think I saw pics of them building a set for season 6 on reddit.

Shahadan

You take revenge for something you remember, I don't see why those two pictures wouldn't be the exact same thing called differently.

Also lol @ opposing litterature to something said irl.

TRios Zen

That would actually be considered a declaration of war. Think more in terms of Rickard Karstark's execution, and how all the men marched home.

In the show, The Queen Mother has effectively imprisoned both the Tyrell heir and Queen Margery. Now we know how this plays out (assuming they stick somewhat to the books as Loras subplot is new) but sending troops home would be the last thing I'd expect the Queen of Thornes to do.

bengraven

I just had the most horrible horrible thought.

(not a spoiler, but just showing how dark I can imagine D&D getting)

DAVID: So...Jaime goes to save Myrcella...
DAN: Right, good time for him to spoil that he's her father...
DAVID: No no, let's not go there...
DAN: We should, it will shock the audience...
DAVID: BUT NOT ENOUGH...not enough
DAN: But...but no...one rape was enough...
DAVID: This will be consensual...
DAN: We can't!
DAVID: hey man, if George does creepy shit like this, we can one up him...
DAN: NO NO...we can't have Jaime and Myrcella...
DAVID: SHHHHHH...feminist bloggers will HEAR you man...

TRios Zen

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't be executed for perjury (I hope), so the stakes aren't as high.

It does leave them free to lop Loras' head off, since homosexuality is apparently the worst thing in Westeros.

True enough they have not stated a penalty for perjury. She spends some time in prison in the books, no? I don't recall.

The handling of Loras in the show is appalling. So dumb; his sexual preference is a small adjective of his character in the book. It's his defining reason for existence in the show.

Damn, beaten twice by Shahadan...what I'd ever do to you ?? (haha)

bengraven

Yes, adultry, in an arduously long and improbable scheme conducted by Cersi.

Yeahhhh, about that. The lying thing was a bit too far...but then again you also need a reason to let her go later on.

Though wait...isn't she still imprisoned in the books?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't be executed for perjury (I hope), so the stakes aren't as high.

It does leave them free to lop Loras' head off, since homosexuality is apparently the worst thing in Westeros.

The high sparrow said something like all sins are equal in the eyes of the seven.

hoos30

True enough they have not stated a penalty for perjury. She spends some time in prison in the books, no? I don't recall.

The handling of Loras in the show is appalling. So dumb; his sexual preference is a small adjective of his character in the book. It's his defining reason for existence in the show.

Damn, beaten twice by Shahadan...what I'd ever do to you ?? (haha)

Does Loras actually have a character in the book? I'm drawing a blank. Does he actually do anything "on page"?

Arctic wolf cast as Ghost

quigly-wolf.jpg

SamVimes

Wouldn't the arrest of the sole heir of one of the most powerful houses in westeros be a casus belli? Especially when they also arrest his only sister, the queen. I don't buy that the "but the faith did it" excuse would hold up. At least in the books the Tyrells seem confident that she's gonna be judged innocent and they're posturing for intervention in case she isn't. Not only that, the heir is Willas.

Shahadan

Does Loras actually have a character in the book? I'm drawing a blank. Does he actually do anything "on page"?

Iirc he's cocky/arrogant, charming, angry, and acts too quickly before thinking. Or something. Basically, he's young.
But it's still more interesting than Gay Guy.

Also I liked the relationship he had with Jaime in the books.

TRios Zen

He won the hands tourney in book one, and he is spoke of as a highly capable Knight. His sexuality is not even plainly stated I think, much more nuanced, then in the show. I guess what I mean is in the books he was a well spoke of knight who lost his true love, in the show, he's the gay brother imprisoned for his promiscuity.

Books = yes
Show = no (perjury)
That whole hearing was a joke. I'm no lawyer, but the faith militant didn't even come close to providing a shred of solid evidence against the Queen or Loras. Unless it was the writers intention to make everyone in that appear uncharacteristically stupid, well, except for Tommen. He's dumb as a post.

Seriously, the way they have handled Loras in the show is terrible. Completely botched.

Book Loras is a total badass who just is hinted at being gay (but it's clear if you pay attention). The show on the other hand...

h3jVJdq.png

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
He won the hands tourney in book one, and he is spoke of as a highly capable Knight. His sexuality is not even plainly stated I think, much more nuanced, then in the show. I guess what I mean is in the books he was a well spoke of knight who lost his true love, in the show, he's the gay brother imprisoned for his promiscuity.

I forget, is he on his death bed in the books after taking... stannis' home castle? Dragonstone?

Shahadan

That whole hearing was a joke. I'm no lawyer, but the faith militant didn't even come close to providing a shred of solid evidence against the Queen or Loras. Unless it was the writers intention to make everyone in that appear uncharacteristically stupid, well, except for Tommen. He's dumb as a post.

Yes that was hilarious. Here is this religious gay-hating guy who trusts what a gay male prostitute is saying, without a doubt, over the sayings of a queen and a knight.

The line about how he presented all necessary evidence had me rolling.

Yes that was hilarious. Here is this religious gay-hating guy who trusts what a gay male prostitute is saying, without a doubt, over the sayings of a queen and a knight.

The line about how he presented all necessary evidence had me rolling.

As if knowing he has a birthmark is the end all. For all they know a lady could have told Olivar.

That comparison image of book Loras and show Loras really made me facepalm. Loras was a badass who just also happened to be gay in the books, it sucks that they turned him into Stereotyped Gay Man #87962 in the show. His sexuality is all that defines him in the show because they have the subtlety of a rock.

That comparison image of book Loras and show Loras really made me facepalm. Loras was a badass who just also happened to be gay in the books, it sucks that they turned him into Stereotyped Gay Man #87962 in the show. His sexuality is all that defines him in the show because they have the subtlety of a rock.

Loras *and* Renly are both supposed to be seriously jacked, too, not willowy skinny dudes. But god forbid you depict a gay guy without tons of femme signifiers.

Speevy

Banned
What really bothered me about this scene is that the writers characterize the High Sparrow as an honest man. I can totally see how Tyrion's trial went the way it did, but the High Sparrow is supposed to be treating everyone equitably.

Shahadan

The worst thing is that Olyver is probably a better character than show-Loras. But I guess we won't see him again now, or maybe to get his comeuppance.

Speevy

Banned
Olyvar should be the most opposed to the sparrows of all. He's a brothel keeper who's just seen Petyr Baelish's property ransacked, his patrons killed or beaten, and these people are openly against homosexuality, which he's admitted to.

Unless he's taken some kind of plea deal, but why would the Sparrows spare him?

Olyvar should be the most opposed to the sparrows of all. He's a brothel keeper who's just seen Petyr Baelish's property ransacked, his patrons killed or beaten, and these people are openly against homosexuality, which he's admitted to.

Unless he's taken some kind of plea deal, but why would the Sparrows spare him?
They wouldn't, they would have just tortured the truth out of him. That was the whole reason Cersei's plan backfired in the book. The Sparrow's logic seems much more inconsistent in the show.

In the books Cersei's scheming is pretty dumb, but every change in the show seems to have made it make less sense, to the point where I'm not sure it works at all.

Speevy

Banned
Well, I suppose it can work as long as High Sparrow eventually turns on Cersei, but they also have to put an end to all this in the show. They can't just leave these people ruling over King's Landing.

What eventually could drive the faith out?

Shahadan

Lancel being awfully silent about what he and Cersei did, while screaming justice against sin at every opportunity, seems like artificial delaying to me and it's annoying.

Well, I suppose it can work as long as High Sparrow eventually turns on Cersei, but they also have to put an end to all this in the show. They can't just leave these people ruling over King's Landing.

What eventually could drive the faith out?
The way they've been portrayed on the show, I don't understand how they haven't already been. They have little clubs, the average citizen is better armed. They just seem to have this inexplicable, invisible sway which renders averyone completely impotent.

Lancel being awfully silent about what he and Cersei did, while screaming justice against sin at every opportunity, seems like artificial delaying to me and it's annoying.

He probably already confessed that to the High Sparrow. I think they are just waiting for the best opportunity to confront Cersei and arrest her. Now that I think about it, if people are hating older Tommen because he let Margaery be arrested, imagine how awful would be to see him let them take his mother and make her walk naked in front of everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom