• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I seriously doubt people working directly on the show have anything to do with the "Previously On". Probably a HBO thing.

Yeah the "Previously On" segments are put together very deliberately with the content on each episode in mind, but it's a HBO thing. Even True Detective had it. Basically the most important scenes from previous episodes which relate the the immediate content in the episode itself will be featured in that segment to keep viewers in the loop.

So, Bronn's random cut is going to lead to something isn't it? Poisoned perhaps? It would be lame for him to die that way, but maybe it is motivation for him to turn on Jaime and go full blown Darkstar.

The moment he got cut is the moment he died. Pretty sure the Sand Snakes put poison on their weapons like Daddy

Kain

Bronn will fall in love with Tyene and will stay in Dorne with her forever, his last scene will be the both of them kissing in front of a beautiful sunset.

It hurt just to write it, imagine watching it. You know it's going to happen.

Possible spoilers based on auditions:

There is dialogue from auditions (most of which has been accurate) suggesting he has been but is given the antidote by one of the snakes, who has a thing for him.
Well sounds like Dorne will continue to be a train wreck.

I feel bad for the actresses. They aren't bad, it's the writing and direction. And costume design. Everything. None of them were given a chance to shine. Say what you will about them in the books, Martin introduces each of the important ones effectively in that first Hotah chapter. The show wouldn't have time to do that though, so they should have just kept one or two. Nym as the brains/seducer, Obara as the badass.

Lengthy Maisie Williams interview with EW:

- Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams speaks: The ultimate Arya interview
Arya’s a fan favorite, yet a murderous character. Could she ever do something to turn off fans?

This is what I find strange about Arya and her fans. Honestly, I think there will always be a few who will back her no matter what. Because a lot of other characters do the “right” thing and lose their head. I feel like episode 10 last year was almost that. So many people were like, “Why didn’t you [kill The Hound?]” You have to think about this logically. This guy has been awful to her for years, even in his last moments. She’s very confused. She’s experienced far too much for any person, let alone a child. She doesn’t know what the right decision is. All she knows is she’s not going to give him his last wish. She’s not your favorite character because she always does the right thing. She’s a real person, and sometimes you’re going to disagree with what she does. That’s what I love about the show. I think you’re going to see more of her emotions and decisions coming out this season that are different than what your “favorite character” might do. She’s losing that feisty-little-girl thread.

Will she ever see the Hound again?

It’s unlikely. If she does go back to Westeros, she’s got one thing on her mind, and I don’t think she wants to kill him anymore. In an ideal world where everybody lives happily ever after, they’d become friends and have a little log cabin together.

It would be interesting to have Arya reunite with Sansa at some point. They could trade some stories.

Sansa is starting to realize she’s in a powerful position. But like any normal girl, she wants this to go away. I think most of us would be like Sansa in a similar situation. Sansa’s probably one of the most realistic portrayals of a [teenage] girl in the show.

Who’s had it rougher: Arya or Sansa?

If Arya had gone through what Sansa has, she’d be dead. If Sansa had gone through what Arya has, she’d be dead. They’re both just good at handling what they’ve been put under.

Say Arya could cross one name off her list. Who would you pick?

The Red Woman. She’s bad news to everyone. [Melisandre has] been underestimated. She’s got a lot of power over everyone and ultimately she can be a really dangerous person. Arya doesn’t know that, but Maisie as an audience member knows that. We are seeing cracks in Cersei, but Melisandre doesn’t look like she’s losing steam anytime soon.

Thrones fans can be super intense. What was your weirdest encounter?

People love asking me to say the [list of characters Arya wants to kill] with their name in it. It’s quite creepy. It’ll be like “Joffrey, Cersei, Alan…” Just, like, a strange suburban dad’s name in the middle. Then they’re recording it and they’re just like, “Thank you.”

What more can you tease up for Arya this season?

I think it’s the first time that Arya’s story is really only complete when you look at all 10 episodes. Obviously people only watch it a week at a time, and I think at first people are going to be like, “Where is this heading?”—until we get to the later episodes. Then they’re going to be like, “That makes sense now. I get it.”

Only the producers and George R.R. Martin know Arya’s fate. Are you asking them what happens next?

Definitely. [The showrunners] treated me to a pizza, and I just sat there asking questions and they won’t answer anything. It’s petrifying.
Much more via the link.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Guys, how do we get Cleganebowl if Brienne isn't going to Quiet Isle and we don't meet Septon Meribald? Is the Hound just going to show up out of nowhere?

Guys, how do we get Cleganebowl if Brienne isn't going to Quiet Isle and we don't meet Septon Meribald? Is the Hound just going to show up out of nowhere?
Loras asks for trial by combat, has to kill ser Robert strong, pulls it off but is badly wounded in the process.
No cleganebowl, calling it.

Dysun

I feel bad for the actresses. They aren't bad, it's the writing and direction. And costume design. Everything. None of them were given a chance to shine. Say what you will about them in the books, Martin introduces each of the important ones effectively in that first Hotah chapter. The show wouldn't have time to do that though, so they should have just kept one or two. Nym as the brains/seducer, Obara as the badass.

Obara's actress is bad though, nothing about it comes off as badass. They just put up an interview where she did her own fight scene, perhaps that was unwise. Hard to believe she got nominated for an Academy Award at one point

I just had a thought about the show. We all know/think they're cutting Faegon in the show because he's too complicated/whatever. What if D&D use Gendry in his place BUT not to be the new king. Instead, he acts as what Dany was supposed to be in Varys' original plans: A way to destabilise the realm more.

Obara's actress is bad though, nothing about it comes off as badass. They just put up an interview where she did her own fight scene, perhaps that was unwise. Hard to believe she got nominated for an Academy Award at one point

She's actually a good actress. The problem is how the writers/directors have envisioned the character IMO. Same issue with Cersei; the actress is good but they want her to essentially be one note at all times, with the same stink face.

The actress who plays Obara isn't in control of choreography decisions, nor is she the one who decided to give a monologue to no one out of the blue. And the other actresses didn't decide to use weapons that look stunningly fake or wear bland costumes.

_Ryo_

Who is Gendry?

There is no Gendry.

Oh that boy on the boat?

That was just imagined.

Seriously, I think the show forgot he exists.

Dysun

Her one note is not convincing in spoken dialogue, demeanor, or action. The pouty face and delivery of the lines is terrible. I haven't seen her in other works so maybe that's true, but definitely not the impression I'm getting from the show.

I often think they don't have a long term plan, so they introduce plot points on the off chance they want to use them. They made a big point of Roose being concerned The Blackfish had escaped, but it doesn't look like that's going anywhere (wtf has he been? no mention of a siege at Riverun).

The reason is because after Jaime breaks the siege at Riverrun the Blackfish escapes and goes missing. So if he ends up doing something important in the final 2 books, it's easy for them to reintroduce him.

The show isn't doing the siege at Riverrun.

Yes that was hilarious. Here is this religious gay-hating guy who trusts what a gay male prostitute is saying, without a doubt, over the sayings of a queen and a knight.

The line about how he presented all necessary evidence had me rolling.

It was only a hearing to see if there was merit for a trial.

foxtrot3d

Banned
She's actually a good actress. The problem is how the writers/directors have envisioned the character IMO. Same issue with Cersei; the actress is good but they want her to essentially be one note at all times, with the same stink face.

The actress who plays Obara isn't in control of choreography decisions, nor is she the one who decided to give a monologue to no one out of the blue. And the other actresses didn't decide to use weapons that look stunningly fake or wear bland costumes.

Which if funny because I thought her S2 performance was the best by far, this "new" reserved Cercei makes no sense. LF just told her that Sansa has been wed to the Boltons and rather than display actual anger she does this weird quiet whisper anger. WTF?

Kain

Who is Gendry?

There is no Gendry.

Oh that boy on the boat?

That was just imagined.

He's rowing around the world and he is now reaching Valyria, seeing as anyone can sail those waters now.

Ratrat

I agree. They are getting a lot of hate but they never had a chance with that material. They are hardly the worst element of the Dorne scenes.

I disagree on this, the show has made sure to show multiple sides of Cersei, to the point where many posters here think she's "too sympathetic" as a character in the show.

TRios Zen

I disagree on this, the show has made sure to show multiple sides of Cersei, to the point where many posters here think she's "too sympathetic" as a character in the show.

Book Cersei is a child playing at grown-up game who has been lucky to last so far, and who with Sir Robert as her champion, may get lucky again.

Show Cersei has not really been portrayed that way until this season I think.

Kain

Don't worry he'll be back with a red eye patch.

But... but... he is already in Mereen, isn't he?

Show Cersei, Carol, is a very smart woman whose only mistake was fucking Lancel and Jaime and that will be her downfall (because he has already confessed to the High Sparrow for sure). Book Cersei, Cersei, is a smart woman who has done a huge number of mistakes, included, but not limited to: fucking Lancel, Jaime, the Kettlebacks, the lesbian chick, appointed morons to seats of power (Aurane waters lol), conceding to reform the Order of sparrows and so on.

The cool political outmaneuvering the HS pulled on her will be reduced to "Oh, Lancel here tells me that you have had carnal relations with him, how naughty of you, here, have a walk of shame".

bengraven

That Wildling song...don't bullshit me Kit Harington...I know you two dated and that wink she gave you...you've been down there...don't lie.

Also, I love that I got hear Liam Neeson say "It's the first ballad about incest in Coldplay's career..."

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Who is Gendry?

There is no Gendry.

Oh that boy on the boat?

That was just imagined.

He's the captain of:

1SJ09vc.png

Picture was created by a show-only viewer I'm guessing.

Nekofrog

Banned
Who is Gendry?

There is no Gendry.

Oh that boy on the boat?

That was just imagined.

He's been at sea so long, he's really really close to discovering America. Give the dude a break, he's about to be a legend.

Iksenpets

Banned
I agree. They are getting a lot of hate but they never had a chance with that material. They are hardly the worst element of the Dorne scenes.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I have enough faith in the show's casting to think they could be fine if they had decent material. The whole Dorne plot feels like they outsourced it to an intern to write and gave him a day and a half to do it.

Is this mentioned in the show? I forget, and I haven't kept up with the unsullied thread lately to see if this was discussed.

I don't think so. But we do know from the show that the Viper used to use poison, and we also know that they try to emulate him in a lot of ways, so it should follow that they would imitate him in this to.

Also, the way they made the cut so obvious so that no one would miss it is telling me that it will come into play later. I guess it may not necessarily mean that he will bite it, as it could be used to get him to co-operate with them (talk or no antidote for you) but, yeah, I think he'll be biting it.

Damerman

Whats the worst thing about dorne to you? Cuz to me its sand dnakes and oberyn's sister/lover, oberyn's sister in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom