• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoos30

Olyvar should be the most opposed to the sparrows of all. He's a brothel keeper who's just seen Petyr Baelish's property ransacked, his patrons killed or beaten, and these people are openly against homosexuality, which he's admitted to.

Unless he's taken some kind of plea deal, but why would the Sparrows spare him?

Seems like the High Sparrow is after Cersi from the beginning. Olyvar, Loras and Margery are just means to an end. The charges against Loras don't have to stick, they just have to establish that High Borns and royalty are subject to justice as delivered by the Faith.

Shahadan

So...the actor playing Lancel:

Similarly, Simon explained that he got the idea that to show how little Lancel cares about his physical appearance, he intentionally grew out his own fingernails for three months without cutting them. When Lancel is having the Seven-Pointed Star carved into his forehead in episode 5.4 "Sons of the Harpy", the character grips the wooden arm of his chair in pain so hard that his nails break. For this shot, Simon weakened the long nails on his right hand by discretely cutting vertical lines into them, to make them break when he gripped the handle very hard. Simon's fingernails are actually breaking and bleeding in this shot, on-camera, with no props. As he said, "I put my hand on the side of the wood, I squeezed, and my nails broke. And we got the shot! It's used in the footage, my actual nails being broken. It was so worth it!"

Simon said that an unfortunate side-effect of this happened in the preceding episode, "High Sparrow": when the Sparrows burst into the brothel and Lancel drags the old High Septon out onto the street naked, he accidentally ended up unintentionally gripping him so hard that his long nails cut the other actor deep enough to draw blood. After the shot was done he looked down at his hands and at the other actor's bloody ribs, and realized he had his blood under his nails.

Due to his commitment to method acting, because Lancel is a barefoot penitent starting in Season 5, Simon also doesn't wear shoes between takes (other actors playing Sparrows/Faith Militant will put shoes or slippers on between filming due to how cold it is on set).

I'm sorry that I'm laughing so hard, but the idea that someone is taking this shitty role so seriously is hilarious to me.

Also he said than he gained 40 pounds of muscles between season 2 and 5 to show that lancel is now poor and determined or something. Lol.
He should be malnourished like the rest of them, especially after recovering from what happened to him

Marz

I'm sorry that I'm laughing so hard, but the idea that someone is taking this shitty role so seriously is hilarious to me.

Also he said than he gained 40 pounds of muscles between season 2 and 5 to show that lancel is now poor and determined or something. Lol.
He should be malnourished like the rest of them, especially after recovering from what happened to him

Lmfao

Well, I feel bad for him as I think nobody noticed his nails in that 5-seconds scene. lol

And yeah, it doesn't make sense to being so muscular. I almost didn't recognized him.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well, I feel bad for him as I think nobody noticed his nails in that 5-seconds scene. lol

And yeah, it doesn't make sense to being so muscular. I almost didn't recognized him.

Yeah, that's really weird. The nail breaking thing is really gross lol. Poor guy is so thrilled to be back.

I love these. I think I saw another one like this. Are there more?

Here's another. I wouldn't have agreed with it before this season because some people think Jaime's stuff in AFFC was fairly dry, but good God almighty after this season I agree 100%

BBMvMxXh.jpg

I think the use of comic sans is the best part.

Faddy

Banned

Now I'm wondering about his method acting for seasons 1 and 2.

Was he going around knocking things over, being annoying and meek. Then in season 2 he is screwing Cersei.

duckroll

I respect his conviction. I think his character this season has quite a bit of presence, so he's hardly wasting his effort. Maybe it's not a character everyone talks about, but sometimes that's also a good thing. I mean, we've been talking about Sand Snakes a lot... and.... :(

Speevy

Banned

robert-baratheon-1431438352.gif

Zolo

I respect his conviction. I think his character this season has quite a bit of presence, so he's hardly wasting his effort. Maybe it's not a character everyone talks about, but sometimes that's also a good thing. I mean, we've been talking about Sand Snakes a lot... and.... :(

lol yeah. It almost makes me feel bad talking about how crappy everything else is to hear how badly this actor's apparently working to deliver a good job.

Speevy

Banned
I don't have a problem with the actor at all. If only the sand snakes actresses were so committed...nah, they'd still be shitty.

Sean C

He probably already confessed that to the High Sparrow. I think they are just waiting for the best opportunity to confront Cersei and arrest her. Now that I think about it, if people are hating older Tommen because he let Margaery be arrested, imagine how awful would be to see him let them take his mother and make her walk naked in front of everybody.
I'm really not sure what to make of the High Sparrow at this point. In the books he acted in a way that very clearly communicated he was a person with his own agenda but who was acting reasonably on the information provided to him. The High Sparrow in the show behaves rather outright like Cersei's lacky, what little we've seen of him since his elevation.

Kind of small thing, but I'm really looking forward to the weather turning. I hope they end the season of the White Raven, would be a great teaser.

TRios Zen

I'm really not sure what to make of the High Sparrow at this point. In the books he acted in a way that very clearly communicated he was a person with his own agenda but who was acting reasonably on the information provided to him. The High Sparrow in the show behaves rather outright like Cersei's lacky, what little we've seen of him since his elevation.

Don't disagree here, until the high sparrow calls out Cersei, he appears to her lackey.

Starting to look forward to Sunday now, got that ending of last episode washed out.

bengraven

I forget, is he on his death bed in the books after taking... stannis' home castle? Dragonstone?

God that's right. Last I remember Marg is sitting by his bedside as he recovers from his wounds.

Man, that's true, fuck what they did to Loras in this show. He's supposed to this cocky but badass character, a true Jaime 2.0.

EDIT:

A Dance with Dragons

Since the evidence against Margaery and her cousins is weak, the Faith releases Margaery and her cousins to the custody of Randyll Tarly until the day of her trial. Margaery chooses to be tried by judges of the Faith instead of trial by battle.

That's right. Damn, gotta admit. I'm rooting for her. Not because of Natalie Dormer (apple.gif) but because she's actually, outside of Cersei's constant slandering of her toward the reader, a pretty good person who could be a fantastic queen. Her pushing Tommen to be a more open king with his subjects, helping feed the needy, etc, might make her look weak in this world, but a little normalcy is needed.

And Randyll Tarly!? I missed that. I've read Feast twice and I have no idea what happened in that book compared to the other four.

Metroxed

There's something I don't have very clear...

Why did they introduce the Brotherhood without Banners or at least the "magical" part of them (Thoros reviving Dondarrios) if later on they would cut "risen-again" Catelyn?

Now they are nowhere to be seen and not even mentioned anymore, despite originally hinting that they were somewhat important (I mean, bringing people back is an important ability, isn't it?)

Kozak

Banned

What a joke that an actor would take their job seriously despite their role.

Point and laugh I say! Point and laugh!

There's something I don't have very clear...

Why did they introduce the Brotherhood without Banners or at least the "magical" part of them (Thoros reviving Dondarrios) if later on they would cut "risen-again" Catelyn?

Now they are nowhere to be seen and not even mentioned anymore, despite originally hinting that they were somewhat important (I mean, bringing people back is an important ability, isn't it?)
Remember when Melisandre just dropped in to visit the brotherhood in an extremely contrived moment, and proceeded to be all like, "Oh I didn't realise we had the power to resurrect people! How interesting... I must remember this as it might come in handy for a future episode".

If you don't remember, I'm sure they'll show it on the 'previously on' section for the episode where Jon gets shanked.

Speevy

Banned
Imagine you're the actor who plays Lancel Lannister, a character who was mostly used for comic relief in seasons 1 and 2.

Now you learn your character has complete control of King's Landing.

How the hell do you not take that seriously? Eugene Simon isn't to blame for the sloppy writing. He's done a good job.

If you don't remember, I'm sure they'll show it on the 'previously on' section for the episode where Jon gets shanked.
lol yeah that's so fucking typical
"hey guys remember that scene from season 1 ? well we're showing it in the previously thing today, surely it means nothing riiiight"

The very final scene of the show will show the oval office in the whitehouse, where we see a grizzled looking President wearing an eyepatch. It's Beric! Forgotton about for centuries, the immortal outlaw has slowly but surely climbed the ladder of Chaos and won the Game of Thrones. Snoop Dog is there as VP too.

SteveWD40

Remember when Melisandre just dropped in to visit the brotherhood in an extremely contrived moment, and proceeded to be all like, "Oh I didn't realise we had the power to resurrect people! How interesting... I must remember this as it might come in handy for a future episode".

I often think they don't have a long term plan, so they introduce plot points on the off chance they want to use them. They made a big point of Roose being concerned The Blackfish had escaped, but it doesn't look like that's going anywhere (wtf has he been? no mention of a siege at Riverun).

Shahadan

What a joke that an actor would take their job seriously despite their role.

Point and laugh I say! Point and laugh!

There is taking your job seriously and there is just doing useless nonsense.

You're not a "method actor" because you're not wearing shoes between takes, let your nails grow for no reason at all, and not because you got an excuse to get buff (that he would have done anyway).

Let's be serious a minute. People making The Witcher 3 almost went all the way for their game and thought about animating a dick, but it's still stupid and accomplishes nothing.
Like if you gave me the role of a waiter serving coffe to a main character and I learned all about the ways to make coffee and went to Ethiopia or something looking for the origins of coffee.

That said at least Lancel has a presence now.

eot

Banned

You're not a "method actor" because you're not wearing shoes between takes, let your nails grow for no reason at all, and not because you got an excuse to get buff (that he would have done anyway).

Why do you have a stick up your arse about it?

Forkball

So, Bronn's random cut is going to lead to something isn't it? Poisoned perhaps? It would be lame for him to die that way, but maybe it is motivation for him to turn on Jaime and go full blown Darkstar.

SteveWD40

So, Bronn's random cut is going to lead to something isn't it? Poisoned perhaps? It would be lame for him to die that way, but maybe it is motivation for him to turn on Jaime and go full blown Darkstar.

Possible spoilers based on auditions:

There is dialogue from auditions (most of which has been accurate) suggesting he has been but is given the antidote by one of the snakes, who has a thing for him.

duckroll

Everything he does adds to his performance and his understanding of the psychology of the character. That's method acting. You just sound silly and petty. In fact, laughing about someone's dedication to their craft on an internet forum is more akin to doing "useless nonsense".

Shahadan

Everything he does adds to his performance and his understanding of the psychology of the character. That's method acting. You just sound silly and petty. In fact, laughing about someone's dedication to their craft on an internet forum is more akin to doing "useless nonsense".

meh. I'm still wondering how it's understanding the character when he just basically comes up with stuff that have nothing to do with his character just to be called "dedicated". Not laughing about method acting in itself.
I don't see why I shouldn't point it out if I want to.

Now if he was playing Mad King Aerys or something the nail thing would have been spot on, even if it wasn't already in the book.

Why do you have a stick up your arse about it?
Just explaining why I find it funny to someone basically telling me I just laugh at people taking their job seriously or something.

Faddy

Banned
lol yeah that's so fucking typical
"hey guys remember that scene from season 1 ? well we're showing it in the previously thing today, surely it means nothing riiiight"

Are "Previously On..." even part of the show. In the UK they aren't shown at all. They are terrible, like some sort of psuedo spoiler.

duckroll

meh. I'm still wondering how it's understanding the character when he just basically comes up with stuff that have nothing to do with his character just to be called "dedicated". Not laughing about method acting in itself.
I don't see why I shouldn't point it out if I want to.

You sound legit salty. Did you lose the role to him back in Season 1 or something? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom