• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
Sansa's basically acting like season 2 Sansa. All that character build up and she's the eternal punching bag again and trusting the man who, as far she knows, murdered two of her siblings. At least give her the reveal of them being alive before she does that. We haven't seen how she's supposedly changed beyond a bunch of talk and wearing a black dress.

Ratrat

Yeah trying desperately to get help when locked in a room and being raped every night is a foolish think to do... Stupid Sansa.
So she goes to the one person who is the most under Ramsays thumb in the world and who pretty much triggered the events leading to her families demise and killed her brothers. Stupid Sansa.

zychi

Banned
So she goes to the one person who is the most under Ramsays thumb in the world and who pretty much triggered the events leading to her families demise. Stupid Sansa.
No one else has been in that room since the wedding. And he was once part of her family. It makes sense.

Lothar

Banned
I thought she would've learned to be smarter than that by now from spending time with Littlefinger. Oh well.

I mean, we're talking about a 16 year old covered in bruises that says she's being raped and hurt every night. She's not super human. She should be traumatized for life. Any decision she makes right now can be understood.

It's either take a chance on anybody including Theon or do nothing and be tortured for the foreseeable future. I found it believable.

And even on her best day, she isn't too smart. That's how she ended up married in Winterfell to begin with. She has a childlike naivety which is evident in how trusting she is of Littlefinger.

BokehKing

Banned
Am I the only one that is worried by the fact that D&D takes fan favorites into account when doing these 'remixes'

I'm afraid we are going to get Dany sitting on the throne in the show because she is popular and Jon sitting on the throne in the book because more legit reasons. Idk Dany has been on my nerves for awhile now.

This team Bolton stuff constantly winning is getting tired too.

No Bran this season so we miss out on that whole scene in the tombs under winterfell. I hate what they are doing to this show.

Madness

Yeah trying desperately to get help when locked in a room and being raped every night is a foolish think to do... Stupid Sansa.

As we saw, it was. Now she's even worse off than before and her only help/friend she had, has been flayed alive.

You're thinking too morally, and not looking at the character. The reason we're all critical of the showrunners and Sansa story is, you'd think watching your family be betrayed and slaughtered, meeting all sorts of horrible people, hearing that you're the worst liar and everyone is a better liar than you, would make Sansa smarter. Her character seems to progress in one scene, only to regress in the next.

So it's not desperately trying to get help when being raped every night. But trying to get help from the man who's already betrayed her family in such a large way, it lead to the capture of her castle, the deaths of Maester Luwin and Ser Rodrick and her two brothers being killed. Sansa only thinks Theon killed her brothers and for the past few years is the indentured slave/servant to Ramsay. Why would she expect help from him? Is she going to be stupid, naive, gullible till the end of the show?

Hellcrow

As we saw, it was. Now she's even worse off than before and her only help/friend she had, has been flayed alive.

You're thinking too morally, and not looking at the character. The reason we're all critical of the showrunners and Sansa story is, you'd think watching your family be betrayed and slaughtered, meeting all sorts of horrible people, hearing that you're the worst liar and everyone is a better liar than you, would make Sansa smarter. Her character seems to progress in one scene, only to regress in the next.

So it's not desperately trying to get help when being raped every night. But trying to get help from the man who's already betrayed her family in such a large way, it lead to the capture of her castle, the deaths of Maester Luwin and Ser Rodrick and her two brothers being killed. Sansa only thinks Theon killed her brothers and for the past few years is the indentured slave/servant to Ramsay. Why would she expect help from him? Is she going to be stupid, naive, gullible till the end of the show?

I see it as desperation.

Aemon's death was a great scene. I recommend all book readers to read "The Hedge Knight" short stories about prince Egg and his friend Ser Duncan the tall.

I could understand Sansa's reasoning for trying to tell Theon, but Theon's still dead. I'm guessing his journey back from Reek will only start in episode 9, most like. So all in all, it was a bit silly of her.

And yeah, I'm ready for Team Bolton to take a loss. I was half-hoping Sansa was going to loudly proclaim "FUCK THE BOOOOOOKS" and just stab Ramsay in the neck with that rock or whatever it was she picked up. I'm still expecting either him or Roose to bite it before the season is over.

The High Sparrow playing the Lancel card felt long overdue. Lancel must have been telling him for ages, right? I dunno, it feels odd. I was honestly expecting Olenna or Littlefinger to just tell the Sparrow that he's going after the wrong Queen. I suppose the 'boy' Littlefinger was referring to was Lancel, right?

Looking forward to the Tyrion/Dany scenes. Gonna be interesting to see what they have to say to each other.

I'm also disappointed they didn't make a reference, both visual or otherwise, about a fat pink mast. I wonder if we'll see Sam setting off for Oldtown next season, or if we can treat that part of the story as cut as well. Aemon's death amidst the Night's Watch felt a lot better than how he went out in the books, at least. Aliser Thorne's still a bastard, I'm guessing he'll take the 'For the Watch' role when it's stabbing time later this season.

Am I wrong in thinking they're also slightly setting up for the fall of Melisandre? I can't remember if she suggested burning Shireen in the books, but then they didn't travel with him to Winterfell. I wouldn't be surprised if she's the next to end up on a pyre.

Just a few more weeks left. This season hasn't exactly reached the quality of some of the previous ones, but this episode was enjoyable.

Mxrz

Slower episode.

Dany and Tyrion meeting. So not its not certain the show will do the flight/dothraki bit. Perfectly fine with that. Tyrion having someone to talk to who isn't punching him will help this season out a lot.

Watch - Maybe weird, but hopefully Sam and Gilly take Ghost when they gtfo. Not keen on seeing yet another pooch get its head cut off by Evil-smirking-Thug #8. With all the long, slow shots. Starting to seem like everyone at Castle Black is going to be butchered. They're being framed against Jon and the 'good' he's trying to do.

The boy that shot Ygritte will probably be a White Walker for shock value.

Alliser is up and down. Its like the show can't make up its mind whether he's a douchebag like Sylnt, or just a cranky, yet honest brother.

Cersei finally being caught didn't seem as much of a payoff as it did in the books. Outside of being responsible for the Sparrows, all she's really done is scowl and drink. Without her making a mess of the finances, bedding Taena, building a huge fleet to be stolen by the twerp she makes Admiral, there isn't much left.

Theon and the candle was a little confusing.

Glad Bronn wasn't poisoned for long. Seems like a lot of effort just to flash some tits, but I'm not complaining.

Pkaz01

I've pretty much given up on the show and book comparisons since the show is completely doing its own thing, but watching this season and the scenes in winterfell. All I can think of is how much better they would be with Manderly involved. The books did so good establishing the delicacy of the Bolton control, and the interacts between Roose and the other lords in the north made those scenes. The show just focuses on how much of a dick ramsay is and the rape/torture. We had even worse things than that in the book, but the hope thrown in with Manderly and northern conspiracy kept it intriguing.

This has just turned into torture Sansa for 80% of the season and then Brienne is going to take the place of the spearwives and for no developed reason Theon is going to do a complete 180 and help Sansa escape.

Same shit with Dorne actually, less stupidity with the sand snakes, and more Doran struggling to fight the call for revenge but at the same thing keep his people safe. Too late to establish that 7 or 8 episodes into a season.

Madness

The Tyene scene is what almost every single guy I've spoken to about tonight's episode remembers vividly. Almost every guy from our whatsapp group chat said they Googled who Tyene was immediately, and reading the various forums, reviews, it seems everyone else thought the same. They clearly know what the guy watchers of the show like.

Rewatching the episode again, right before the episode they had this short of preview vignette of episodes to come. Seems kind of spoilery to me now in a sense because of what the next week spoiler was hinting etc.

Don't read, may be spoilers for the weeks to come:

showed Jorah fighting at what I'm assuming will be the large Mereen fighting pits against a massive guy, the Harpys are also there in number later fighting a lot of Unsullied, the crowd has a lot of dead bodies and people running. Definitely means Jorah will probably ask for trial by combat as per Westerosi rules if she still wants to execute him, or he asks to prove himself to her in the fighting pits etc.

SteveWD40

This team Bolton stuff constantly winning is getting tired too.

This. I like Roose (at least he is semi logical, he treats Fat Walda well) but Ramsay being smug and #winning every episode is getting boring and I am beginning to worry he won't get his this season.

Preview:

it's looking like he burns Stannis camp as well, probably gets away with that too...

but the hope thrown in with Manderly and northern conspiracy kept it intriguing.

This has just turned into torture Sansa for 80% of the season

Also this, where is The Greatjon? Karstarks (their forces were not at the Red Wedding), hell even The Blackfish would be a welcome sight.

NeoGiff

I thought this was a great episode, with some standouts in terms of acting.

Even ignoring (impossible, I know) Tyene's boobs, the Sand Snakes scene was actually ok. I really hope Stannis remains stubborn and keeps Shireen close... but ether way she's dead, I'm assuming.

For all of his devotion to the gods, I think the High Sparrow was feeling pretty empowered at the end. His face was hard to read, but inside he was screaming
"Oh my"

7ySy3p0.gif

Pkaz01

Also what the fuck are they doing with Kevan and Varys?

What is Kevan going to automatically teleport back to Kings Landing after finding out Cersei is jailed? I guess we are waiting til next season to see him be a good ruler for Varys to take him out?

Just weird that some story lines are moving along so quickly and others are stagnant.

Episode 7 just finished Dany and Jon are close to their ADWD endings but Arya has not even completed an assassination yet, changed her face, or even developed anything close to the training she had in the books by this point she knew multiple languages, knew about poisons, was stick fighting while blind, knew how to lie, and was learning how to gather information.

I will be very surprised if the season ends and there are still storylines not caught up with ADWD

munchie64

So there definitely was a decent time gap between episodes.
-Sansa looked horrible, holy shit
-Tyrion and Jorah got to Mereen super quick, which is awesome
-Margery has been in the dungeon for a while
-Cersei's dun goofed
-Really liked the Wall and Stannis stuff, I hope he doesn't go through with it

Sayad

Revealing the only card she had to the one who murdered her brothers and serving as a slave dog for her perpetrator is foolish, yes. Though it's inline with what kings landing's Sansa would do, I guess.

That sand snakes scene though...

Not saying much, but best episode this season.

Faddy

Banned
Loved the Sansa and Theon stuff. For all those people complaining Sansa is going to lose her agency blah blah. She asks Theon for help and he couldn't do anything. She is going to have to do something herself, take her own risks and take charge of the situation.

What did she steal on the battlements, at first I thought it was a blade but it could have been keys? Sansa is going to do stuff.

I liked the Bronn scene with the Sand Snakes, they also didn't talk like complete morons. Is Dorne salvagable? A few good scenes with Jaime and Doran and more Bronn and Hotah could turn it around.

Also what the fuck are they doing with Kevan and Varys?

What is Kevan going to automatically teleport back to Kings Landing after finding out Cersei is jailed? I guess we are waiting til next season to see him be a good ruler for Varys to take him out?

Just weird that some story lines are moving along so quickly and others are stagnant.

Episode 7 just finished Dany and Jon are close to their ADWD endings but Arya has not even completed an assassination yet, changed her face, or even developed anything close to the training she had in the books by this point she knew multiple languages, knew about poisons, was stick fighting while blind, knew how to lie, and was learning how to gather information.

I will be very surprised if the season ends and there are still storylines not caught up with ADWD

What do you expect them to do with Kevan? Have scenes of him sitting around Casterly Rock? I suppose they could have brought up him and reminded people he is Lancel's father. Maybe they should have had a scene together before Kevan left.

Madness

I'm almost postive she stole a corkscrew off the barrels. Probably was going to put it into Ramsay neck because she thought help would come and Theon lit the candle. But after seeing Theon betray again and the flayed old woman, she could only cry.

Santiako

Decent episode, the high sparrow is the highlight of the season so far. I hate what they are doing to Sansa, I hope he corkscrews Ramsay's face before the end of the season, but then they'll probably marry her to Biter or something to keep screwing her.

Also Tyene hnngg

Ratrat

What do you expect them to do with Kevan? Have scenes of him sitting around Casterly Rock? I suppose they could have brought up him and reminded people he is Lancel's father. Maybe they should have had a scene together before Kevan left.
Any small scene to suggest he is the kind of person who could fix the mess Cersei was making. I don't think viewers have an opinion of him at all.
I guess they could still do that later but no one will really care when he dies.
I hope Varys mentions the three queens at the end.

duckroll

Any small scene to suggest he is the kind of person who could fix the mess Cersei was making. I don't think viewers have an opinion of him at all.

Maybe the show isn't going with that plotline at all. Just like they had no intention of showing that Barristan would be the rock that stabilizes Mereen after Dany disappears. Kevan could just be the last voice of reason Cersei ignored before she doomed King's Landing to the Faith. With the Griff subplot completely removed from the story, there's no need to have Varys return to assassinate people and destabilize the capital to clear the way. Instead they'll probably just have something more dramatic with Dany making her way across the sea instead.

The show is no longer the books.

Ratrat

Maybe the show isn't going with that plotline at all. Just like they had no intention of showing that Barristan would be the rock that stabilizes Mereen after Dany disappears. Kevan could just be the last voice of reason Cersei ignored before she doomed King's Landing to the Faith. With the Griff subplot completely removed from the story, there's no need to have Varys return to assassinate people and destabilize the capital to clear the way. Instead they'll probably just have something more dramatic with Dany making her way across the sea instead.

The show is no longer the books.
That is pretty likely now that I think of it. It would still be strange if Kevan doesn't return to Kings Landing and do...something. Mace Tyrell as well. I'm not sure how Cersei can contrive to retake power with them + Olenna, Margaery around. But that's a ways off.

edit: that's more of an assumption. We don't know what happens to her after the trial.

M.Bluth

Also despite the stupidity of like, everything related to this Dorne stuff I am really interested to see where Jaime's story goes. Getting involved in Doran's shenanigans in order to become closer to Myrcella and act like a father. Might be cool.

Doran is in this season?! :O

duckroll

That is pretty likely now that I think of it. It would still be strange if Kevan doesn't return to Kings Landing and do...something. Mace Tyrell as well. I'm not sure how Cersei can contrive to retake power with them + Olenna, Margaery around. But that's a ways off.

I think Kevan will return to the capital when he hears that Cersei has been arrested and that her accuser is Lancel. It would be more than just a political matter, it would be a family matter for him.

Tyrell's trip to Bravos is probably being set up to be the stage for Arya's first assassination, serving as a distraction from her past. I also think that Arya is very likely going to Oldtown next season, in place of the Faceless Man in the books. The show loves to make closer connections between major characters and combining them into storylines whenever possible, so this seems like another easy way to have Arya featured as part of Sam's story.

That's not really saying much.

It is for me. High Sparrow and Kill the Boy were both in my top 10 episodes of the show, and this just overtook both of them. Probably in my top 5 tbh. It has propelled this season from my fourth favourite so far to my second favourite (in relation to other seasons after 7 episodes).

Ratrat

I think Kevan will return to the capital when he hears that Cersei has been arrested and that her accuser is Lancel. It would be more than just a political matter, it would be a family matter for him.

Tyrell's trip to Bravos is probably being set up to be the stage for Arya's first assassination, serving as a distraction from her past. I also think that Arya is very likely going to Oldtown next season, in place of the Faceless Man in the books. The show loves to make closer connections between major characters and combining them into storylines whenever possible, so this seems like another easy way to have Arya featured as part of Sam's story.
And there is no way he will be sympathetic or allow her to stay in Kings Landing after that right?!
I would REALLY like to see Arya and Sam meet. This time she could maybe ask about Jon like a normal person.

NeoGiff

And there is no way he will be sympathetic or allow her to stay in Kings Landing after that right?!
I would REALLY like to see Arya and Sam meet. This time she could maybe ask about Jon like a normal person.

Yeah, this really bothered me. Although, given the pace the show is moving at, I have to wonder whether Arya will even sill be in Braavos when Sam arrives.

NeoGiff

For my weekly gif contribution this time around, rather than making something funny, I'd like to draw attention to something that really stood out to me.

As if we didn't already have enough hints. They'll never see each other again.

VRZHLLK.gif

For my weekly gif contribution this time around, rather than making something funny, I'd like to draw attention to something that really stood out to me.

As if we didn't already have enough hints. They'll never see each other again.

VRZHLLK.gif
In episode 9 Jon returns to Castle Black

Very good episode. Not a single scene that sucked. From the casting transcripts of the Bronn/Tyene scene I was expecting the worst, but it played out pretty good - and not only because of boobs.

Jonathan Pryce is so damn good in his role as High Sparrow. That scene with Olenna was probably one of the best acted in the entire show.

I have to admit: I'm enjoying the show far more than the books at this point. AFFC and ADWD really dragged on and had too many new plots and characters I wasn't invested in. The show did a really good job to restructure the books and keep the stuff exciting.

And to those lauding Bronn's singing voice:
Robson--Jerome-I-Believe-325773.jpg

I thought this was a great episode, with some standouts in terms of acting.

Even ignoring (impossible, I know) Tyene's boobs, the Sand Snakes scene was actually ok. I really hope Stannis remains stubborn and keeps Shireen close... but ether way she's dead, I'm assuming.

For all of his devotion to the gods, I think the High Sparrow was feeling pretty empowered at the end. His face was hard to read, but inside he was screaming
"Oh my"

7ySy3p0.gif

Yea. I wonder if the theory that he is Reed will hold up. I don't think so.

You people don't know how to use spoiler tags. If you're going to tag something, say what the source of the spoiler is so people have some idea if they want to see it. Is it preview discussion, a leak?

KooopaKid

Banned
Is there a list somewhere of cool events that happened in the books and that we are sure to not see now? I mean really important, exciting or shocking moments.

I have no idea if what im about to guess has been discussed before but here i go.

I see the following happening

Stannis reaches winterfell, engages in battle, its not going well, his wife and the red lady burn the daughter, the battle turns and Stannis wins, Stannis returns rages kills his wife but spares the red woman as yes it did work and she tells him so, Stannis enters winterfell and takes sansa as his new wife and takes control of the north.

Madness

Do any of you think Bronn could still be rolled into the part of Arys Oakheart and Gerold Dayne or no? I mean what was the reason for the Sand Snakes at all? And why poison Bronn, then give him the antidote while flirting so heavily? Maybe Tyene is an amalgam of Arianne's cut part, and Bronn will develop affection for her. He's a sellsword after all. Why go back to Kings Landing when he can have a taste of the Dornishman's wife. Stay in Dorne, fuck Tyene, fight etc.

Areo Hotah wasn't cast just to talk up a big game against Jaime no? And if Myrcella is attacked, and Doran and Trystane show affection and compassion for her, Jaime realizes that they will take care of her and he leaves. Or am I off base? I just refuse to believe Dorne was kept around for the scenes we've gotten or that useless amateur LARP attack at the water gardens.

duckroll

Left? Sam can't leave the Nights Watch

I dunno why you're all using spoiler tags in speculation, but it's pretty much 100% certain that Sam and Gilly will be leaving the Wall to Oldtown just like in the books, but probably by a different route and for a different reason, since they cut a lot of other stuff out and rearranged events. They have already foreshadowed Oldtown quite a lot, and Sam has shown interest in rathering ancient knowledge and training in the way of the Meisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom