• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damerman

Was anyone else as disappointed with the fighting pit as i was... then again, it would have been more disappointing if drogon landed there rather than some huge coliseum-like place.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
tuwM5bX.png
I wouldn't count on that, I doubt GRRM told them that early on that those two characters would meet up so they likely invented the scene themselves. And even if he did you can't count on D&D to follow through with things set up several seasons ago, they have to cut and condense stuff for the show which is why so many things set up in the first two seasons are now gone..
They were planning on Sansa and Ramsay meeting up though in Season 2, right? So Mel and Arya meeting up again, could be likely. Especially if Mel revives Jon, we know he is probably going to meet Arya again, so it might be likely that Mel could be with him.

Damerman

Yeah Hizdarioman said to Daenerys that it was a minor pit used at lower levels.

I didn't catch that.

Also, it is very strange for me to take Mereen seriously now that Selmy is dead. Is dario the queensguard now? her rule should fall apart without Selmy. So they are going to condense all of the different city-state rebels/plague stuff into the sons of the harpies? no giant battle to save mereen?

thats really disappointing.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
They are still going to stop by at Braavos, where Arya is going to get on the boat (after she kills Meryn Trant) and then replace Jaqen as the FM's undercover agent in the Citadel in season 6.
That would make sense.

Edit: As a side note, I am so happy that they had Darrio's red wedding idea put in the show.

Pretty good episode. Finally a return to actual intrigue and shadow politics instead of bullshit antics. I liked the heavy northern stuff at the beginning. Props to Alfie Allen for his great performances over the years, he really beings Reek to life.

Surprised at how they're slow walking the Jon stuff. BTW why isn't Ghost with Jon? I suppose he doesn't want to risk running into a warg in the wild.

And of course Stannis tha gawd. Not a fan of the changes to his army composition but whatever. I have a feeling I know where they're going story wise...and I hope I'm wrong.

King's Landing stuff was cool, although I do feel like they've made the Sparrows rather one note and fanatical. But obviously it's not like the show has the time to really go over that stuff. Cersei's arrest was pretty abrupt but overall I don't have major complaints outside of that gratuitous Sand Snakes scene. It's pretty shitty that their only decent scene included nudity. I can imagine the spin now ("so no one likes them when they're fighting, but when one is naked it's all good."). Trash all around. That being said I'd definitely take her to Olive Garden.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So D&D just commented in a Vanity Fair article about Tryrion, Jorah, and Dany all meeting up now when they haven't in the books. I agree even though it was lightening quick.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/game-of-thrones-recap-the-gift-daenerys-tyrion-meet

We’re really excited to see these two characters we love so much finally set eyes on each other. Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen. They’re two of the best characters of the show. To have them come so close together this season then have them not meet felt incredibly frustrating. Also, we’re on a relatively fast pace. We don’t want to do a 10-year adaptation of the books, we don’t want to do a nine-year adaptation. We’re not going to spend four seasons in Meereen. It’s time for these two to get together. It’s hard to come up with a more eloquent explanation, but this just felt right. [Varys] puts Tyrion’s mission out there [in the season premiere] and the mission ends in Meereen.

I didn't catch that.

Also, it is very strange for me to take Mereen seriously now that Selmy is dead. Is dario the queensguard now? her rule should fall apart without Selmy. So they are going to condense all of the different city-state rebels/plague stuff into the sons of the harpies? no giant battle to save mereen?

thats really disappointing.

Battle of Meeren would have been cost prohibitive. The are basically condensing it to a Draznak's Pit showdown between the Sons of the Harpy and the Unsullied.

Damerman

They are still going to stop by at Braavos, where Arya is going to get on the boat (after she kills Meryn Trant) and then replace Jaqen as the FM's undercover agent in the Citadel in season 6.

holy shit, I'm fucking stupid. It just hit me that impostor-pate is a faceless man... holy shit. how did i miss that? but how do we know that it's jaqen that is at the Citadel in the books?

someday

Banned
I think the whole rape attempt scene was to remind the audience that the nights watch consists of former murderers and rapists who took the black to be absolved of their sins. These guys are really bad.. u know, the kind of guys who would stab their lord commander on the back..
Yes because the show didn't just reinforce this a couple of episodes ago when Stannis explained why he was taking Shireen and his wife along to Winterfell.

foxtrot3d

Banned
holy shit, I'm fucking stupid. It just hit me that impostor-pate is a faceless man... holy shit. how did i miss that? but how do we know that it's jaqen that is at the Citadel in the books?

LOL, c'mon man and you call yourself a book reader. I'll dig up the textual support in a minute.

Saya

Yes because the show didn't just reinforce this a couple of episodes ago when Stannis explained why he was taking Shireen and his wife along to Winterfell.

We're being hit over the head with the idea that the Nightwatch consists of murderers, rapists, and thieves, as much as the Loras is gay fact.

Because the description of the appearance of the "Alchemist" that kills Pate is almost identical to the description of the face that Jaqen changes into when he says goodbye to Arya in ACOK

Ghost was there to remind us he exists for when Jon wargs ;)

Seeing unsullied reactions to Cersei's arrest makes me hope that ZombieMountain wins for maximum lols

Damerman

Gilly and Sam being assaulted was there to remind us ghost exists for when Jon wargs ;)

fixed that for you.

Because the description of the appearance of the "Alchemist" that kills Pate is almost identical to the description of the face that Jaqen changes into when he says goodbye to Arya in ACOK

Man, it's been such a long time. I'd have to go back. I never really discussed the books after reading them. be at the citadel?

Iksenpets

Banned

I thought this too, but at this point the earliest they can leave is episode 9. Can they get to Braavos by ten? Only Littlefinger has the teleporter. I thought they would have them leave today, but I guess not.

Pretty good episode. Finally a return to actual intrigue and shadow politics instead of bullshit antics. I liked the heavy northern stuff at the beginning. Props to Alfie Allen for his great performances over the years, he really beings Reek to life.

Surprised at how they're slow walking the Jon stuff. BTW why isn't Ghost with Jon? I suppose he doesn't want to risk running into a warg in the wild.

And of course Stannis tha gawd. Not a fan of the changes to his army composition but whatever. I have a feeling I know where they're going story wise...and I hope I'm wrong.

King's Landing stuff was cool, although I do feel like they've made the Sparrows rather one note and fanatical. But obviously it's not like the show has the time to really go over that stuff. Cersei's arrest was pretty abrupt but overall I don't have major complaints outside of that gratuitous Sand Snakes scene. It's pretty shitty that their only decent scene included nudity. I can imagine the spin now ("so no one likes them when they're fighting, but when one is naked it's all good."). Trash all around. That being said I'd definitely take her to Olive Garden.

The Faith stuff in King's Landing would feel so much less one-note and sudden if they had spent some of the Riverlands time in season four with Arya/Sandor and Brienne/Pod showing the increasing religiosity of the people in response to the war and the corruption in he capital. That would've bridged season four and five more naturally and shown us how the Faith got started among the poor as a way to cope, and only evolved into this violent inquisition.

And the Sand Snakes scene is something that I would be complaining about how gratuitous it was in any other season, but this time around it was refreshing as hell to have a Sand Snake scene that wasn't about murdering girls for reveeeeenge. Plus, it alleviated some of the fears that these girls are just fundamentally bad actresses and these characters are beyond redemption.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Ugh, I can't find the exact theory with the textual support but I'll just summarize it. Basically, the description of the man that gives Pate the coin and kills him has the same facial features as the man Jaqen turns into when he leaves Arya. We also through subtext understand that there is a very rare book that exists only in the vault in the Citadel and the Library at Castle Black concerning dragons. In addition, when combined with the highly likely theory that Euron Greyjoy paid the Faceless Men with a dragon egg to kill Balon and the fact that Jaqen, despite being what appears to be a master assassin, was captured and headed to Castle Black it makes sense then that the FM are actually after the book about dragons after having acquired one from Euron. Jaqen attempted to go undercover in Castle Black as a new recruit to retrieve the book and when that plan failed went to plan B and decided to get the book from the Citadel where he impersonated Pate.

I will say despite having read the books like three times it only connected with me recently how Jaqen kills Pate, it's the exact same way Arya kills the money lender.

Also despite the stupidity of like, everything related to this Dorne stuff I am really interested to see where Jaime's story goes. Getting involved in Doran's shenanigans in order to become closer to Myrcella and act like a father. Might be cool.

Damerman

Ugh, I can't find the exact theory with the textual support but I'll just summarize it. Basically, the description of the man that gives Pate the coin and kills him has the same facial features as the man Jaqen turns into when he leaves Arya. We also through subtext understand that there is a very rare book that exists only in the vault in the Citadel and the Library at Castle Black concerning dragons. In addition, when combined with the highly likely theory that Euron Greyjoy paid the Faceless Men with a dragon egg to kill Balon and the fact that Jaqen, despite being what appears to be a master assassin, was captured and headed to Castle Black it makes sense then that the FM are actually after the book about dragons after having acquired one from Euron. Jaqen attempted to go undercover in Castle Black as a new recruit to retrieve the book and when that plan failed went to plan B and decided to get the book from the Citadel where he impersonated Pate.

I will say despite having read the books like three times it only connected with me recently how Jaqen kills Pate, it's the exact same way Arya kills the money lender.
Man, i really need to go back to ASOIAF mode. it's really obvious that i only understand the explicit things, and not the implicit things.

Battle of Meeren would have been cost prohibitive. The are basically condensing it to a Draznak's Pit showdown between the Sons of the Harpy and the Unsullied.

Outside of cost, there's no way the show would ever have been able to include the many many subplots of the factions involved in Meereen in the books, it just doesn't make sense for TV.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Outside of cost, there's no way the show would ever have been able to include the many many subplots of the factions involved in Meereen in the books, it just doesn't make sense for TV.

Yup, as they said they don't want to spend four seasons in Mereen, already show watchers are getting bored of Mereen.

Nodnol

These next few episodes should be intense.

I'm still expecting Stannis and Jon to go down simultaneously, with Mel asking the Lord of Light to save Azor Ahai at Stannis' side. Only nothing happens, and we see Jon open his eyes or something.

I'm almost wishing the season away though, so I can judge it in its entirety. Really hope the last few episodes pay off, and pacing is the biggest issue, rather than the whole thing being shit.

duckroll

We're being hit over the head with the idea that the Nightwatch consists of murderers, rapists, and thieves, as much as the Loras is gay fact.

At least it's not character assassination this time. The Night's Watch being filled with murderers and rapists is pretty accurate! Loras as the promiscuous gay dude is totally character assassination. :(

Wait there's a wolf in this show lol
Ghost reduced to plot device
I bet the kid (Jon's butler) will stab him

That fighting pit is just the amateur corner right cuz that arena is LOL
Not a bad episode

At least it's not character assassination this time. The Night's Watch being filled with murderers and rapists is pretty accurate! Loras as the promiscuous gay dude is totally character assassination. :(

Wait, what? Loras is gay?

I must have missed some subtle hints in the show.

Saya

Yep! Definitely accurate and I am happy with that. It's just so obvious every time.

I'm really looking forward to more Dany and Tyrion interactions next week.

Sean C

I think I also missed how Ramsay (and Reek) found out the old lady was supporting Sansa. Was that explained? Or just a scene made for shock value?
It wasn't explained. One can assume they focused on whichever servants had been alone with Sansa, which, since she's under guard, there'd be some record of.

Furoba

That was weird. Why would she tell him her escape plan already? I think I also missed how Ramsay (and Reek) found out the old lady was supporting Sansa. Was that explained? Or just a scene made for shock value?

Sansa's been confined to her room the whole time basically, only allowed to go out when ordered (or with Littlefinger), so the only contact she had with outside was through her handmaiden. Tracking down who told Sansa must have been easy.

The old lady refused to talk, but the Boltons must be wary now.

Lothar

Banned
That was weird. Why would she tell him her escape plan already? I think I also missed how Ramsay (and Reek) found out the old lady was supporting Sansa. Was that explained? Or just a scene made for shock value?

I guess Ramsay lit the candle and she came.

Why would she tell Theon? It looks like she's locked in her room all day with no one to talk to other than Ramsay and Theon. She's desperate and scared.

Saya

Why would she tell Theon? It looks like she's locked in her room all day with no one to talk to other than Ramsay and Theon. She's desperate and scared.

I thought she would've learned to be smarter than that by now from spending time with Littlefinger. Oh well.

JCreasy

Holy shit!

These theories here are totally new to me and I thought I had read up on everything.

Dr Prob

Banned
Nitpick (not important at all, just a thing): were Lancel and the Septa listening in at their respective doors, just waiting for their mark? Jonathan Pryce* runs a tight production.

* really good here along with Diana Rigg, who is just perfect

Kuroyume

Banned
I enjoyed the episode, but Sansa trusting Theon was fucking stupid.

Nice to see Ghost again. Speaking of wolves, it's been long overdue for Arya to take over Nymeria in her sleep. I guess it's not like a big deal but those are powers, no? Does Arya have the same powers Bran has? I mean Jon has it.

Loved the Sparrow stuff. I could have done without the Sam/Gully sex scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom