• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
With only three episodes left, the remainder of the season should be pretty packed with big moments. Well unless they pull a GRRM and end on a half dozen cliffhangers.

Based on how dire Stannis' situation is already, they're either going to have to kill Shireen or kill him.

Tabris

- Jon Snow being stabbed
- Cersei walk of penance
- Dany escaping fighting pit
- Battle of Hardhome
- Battle of Winterfell

Any other big moments? The last two being the only one that's not in the books.

I wonder if they'll have something on Bran for the final episode? Its so weird to go an entire season, especially missing my favourite character. I know the actor isn't signed on for this season, but maybe they kept credit for last episode under wraps. He's going to start looking really old soon.

Man there's no good thread for GoT for me to post in.

I want to discuss with non-cynical people, which it seems like most of the book readers aren't right now, but I spoiled myself on the books via Song of Ice and Fire Wiki so I can't post in the non-spoiler thread (maybe soon since it's catching up quickly)?

I will complain now and again but I'm not a cynic. I still enjoy the show very much and I only criticize because I sometimes wish it were even better.

Speevy

Banned
I now have no doubt that Stannis is going to kill Melsandre.

He doesn't just change his mind. That's what makes him Stannis.

Damerman

Best episode all season.

agreed. I didn't like the rape scene from the last episode, but that speech that Sansa gave to Theon was amazing. I had chills. I had chills througout the episode for all the POV characters.

THe ending was was satisfying as all hell... Granted i was laughing like a maniac when it happened in the book, but this was really good.

RaidenZR

Tyene. God damn... That scene was a little forced and awkward, but I enjoyed 'parts' of it. Props to Bron's singing voice, though!

That Theon/Tower stuff confused the hell out of me. I had no idea what transpired and neither did my show-only friend sitting next to me. She was like "Wait, what happened?" And then I had no answer.

Same goes for whatever person Littlefinger was talking about. That was a little too cryptic for me. Anyone have an intelligent guess? I'm stumped.

He doesn't just change his mind. That's what makes him Stannis.

He did tonight though, no? Our first cracks in the armor of his undying faith in R'hllor. As soon as Mel mentioned Shireen that was the first real dealbreaker we've had from Stannis thus far (sorry for the double post).

Same goes for whatever person Littlefinger was talking about. That was a little too cryptic for me. Anyone have an intelligent guess? I'm stumped.

Surprised at how much this is being overthought. Littlefinger gave Olenna the knowledge of Lancel and Cersei.

UberLevi

tuwM5bX.png

No way, this still has to happen.

suzu

Egg! Aww Aemon. :( I'm still sad that Jon and Ghost aren't closer. But hey, he seems to like Sam and Gilly.

If Stannis sacrifices Shireen... I'll be so disappointed. Haha, when Mel didn't bring up Balon Greyjoy..

Hoping Sansa stabs Ramsay in the eye with that thing she picked up. I wonder when Theon is going to wake up or will he ever? I want to see the godswood moment.

Meh at Dany. I like Daario, which I never thought I'd ever say (because the book version is ugh).

Bronn is still going to die in some other way.

Bahahaha Cersei. I liked the scene between her and Tommen though. Poor dumb kid.

I think this ep was pretty good.

Damerman

Tyene. God damn... That scene was a little forced and awkward, but I enjoyed 'parts' of it. Props to Bron's singing voice, though!

That Theon/Tower stuff confused the hell out of me. I had no idea what transpired and neither did my show-only friend sitting next to me. She was like "Wait, what happened?" And then I had no answer.

Theon reported that sansa would get help from northerners if she lit a candle at the top of the tower.

Littlefinger got confessions out of Lancel Lanister about his affair with Cersei.

How the hell were you able to enjoy the episode without understanding any of this?

mantidor

Did anyone else think Sansa's acting in this episode was excellent?

It's like she turned into a different person for about 15 seconds at the beginning, and went back to crying when Gramsey got Boltoned.

The north didn't remember.

It's all on you other wash basin guy!

Her acting is ok for such crappy writing. Mixing her and Jeanne Poole was one of the most stupid ideas, but I guess D&D need their rape and brutality quota or something.

Speevy

Banned
Here's the problem I'm having.

Unless Stannis has some good luck, that rumored Ramsay thing could very well be the thing that ends him. It's just the most ridiculous thing in the world.

Dysun

Really good episode, my favorite of the season. Glad to see Tyrion and Dany meet

I was quite down on the show in general last week, nice to see it followed up with a solid outing

Saya

Why didn't Ghost go with Jon beyond the wall? Was the whole point of the Gilly being threatened with rape just to show Ghost still exists?

Anjelus_

Why would Stannis bring his wife and daughter with him to a battle? It's pretty contrived for them to be there at all. Will be annoyed if they go where it looks like they're going with that storyline.

Damerman

Why didn't Ghost go with Jon beyond the wall? Was the whole point of the Gilly being threatened with rape just to show Ghost still exists?
thats exactly what i told my brother, a non-reader. People who read the books and understand hardholm must have cringed so hard.

Here's the problem I'm having.

Unless Stannis has some good luck, that rumored Ramsay thing could very well be the thing that ends him. It's just the most ridiculous thing in the world.

Well it could end the season with Stannis, his half dead starving army, Sansa, Theon and Brienne in the Crofter's village, no?

That's where the books have him.

carlsojo

Jon probably left him there to protect Sam. Plus maybe direwolves don't like boats. Maybe Ghost does whatever he wants.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just watched the episode and only really liked the KL stuff, D&D's hard on for Rape is kind of concerning I half expected Cercei to get raped by the end. Any who, Joanathan Pryce killed it in that scene although I take issue with him bashing Baelor I highly doubt the High Septon from the books would feel that way about a King who was basically the biggest religious nut job to sit the throne. I also didn't like who Aemon died but what are you gonna do at least we got Egg name dropped.

The whole Gilly attempted rape just rubs me wrong because of how unnecessary it is if you need a catalyst for Sam to go to Oldtown it could have been done a dozen ways that didn't involve another rape scene. But, whatever D&D clearly aren't letting off of it. However, fuck me with the whole Shireen revelation. We all knew it was coming, we have theorized that it might happen in the books, but to actually hear it out of Melisandre's mouth is another thing. Time to wake dragons from stone.

tuwM5bX.png

No way, this still has to happen.

I wouldn't count on that, I doubt GRRM told them that early on that those two characters would meet up so they likely invented the scene themselves. And even if he did you can't count on D&D to follow through with things set up several seasons ago, they have to cut and condense stuff for the show which is why so many things set up in the first two seasons are now gone.

RaidenZR

Theon reported that sansa would get help from northerners if she lit a candle at the top of the tower.

Littlefinger got confessions out of Lancel Lanister about his affair with Cersei.

How the hell were you able to enjoy the episode without understanding any of this?

Jeez, what the hell?

I understood the overall point that Theon betrayed Sansa in that moment, but the way it was edited/depicted I thought it could have been a situation where Theon didn't expect Ramsey to be where he was and was intimidated on the spot... so he confessed the scheme. Like he didn't have an excuse to be where he ended up so he looked dumb for being there. So sue me, I misread. It's not like the show's editing and depiction is infallible, as last week's episode proves.

And I'm also well aware Littlefinger handed Olivar over to Cersei on a silver platter. It just sounded like he was talking about a completely unforeseen event. Lancel seemed like a given long ago and I'm surprised that they had to connect Littlefinger to that. Seemed unnecessary since Lancel's already in with the Faith, so I thought they might be setting up something else down the line.

Aemon's death was good. I'm glad that they kept Egg in.

Jon and Sam's goodbye was solid, had echoes of Robb and Jon.

Jorah and Tyrion stuff was good. We're finally going somewhere here.

Stannis scene was good. Stannis' actor really nails the stubborness down. His reaction to the request was great.

Kings Landing continues to be stupid as hell. At Least we can get to the walk and Robert Strong, just want to move away from this shit show.

The Sand Snakes and Dorne continue to be the worst parts of this show. No, boobs don't save this.

Sansa handled poorly as expected. First she wants to run, then she wants to fight back and talk shit.
Some really compelling writing here, totally makes her being here at all make sense now./s

Unnecessary attempted rape of Gilly because apparently you cant just have the guys pick on Sam by himself, you got to have him protect the girl.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yes.

Ghost really doesn't like Jon on the show. Remember back in season 2 when Ghost ditched his ass as quickly as possible and for no apparent reason.

I really hope they pay it off some way.

Jon not slowly becoming a warg is one of the most annoying things on the show.

I imagine it's because they want to spend their CG budget on the dragons and mereen and shit, but still. All the wolves may as well be dead at this point.

This makes sense if they're still doing Oldtown. Is it confirmed for next season?

No, but the recent mentions of Oldtown/Sam wanting to be a Maester on the show and there was some scouting location news this week that people are assuming is Oldtown.

carlsojo

I thought it was pretty cool how Jorah just fucking marched into that gladiator pit and took out everyone without killing anyone. The Batman of Westeros right there.

I really hope they pay it off some way.

Jon not slowly becoming a warg is one of the most annoying things on the show.

I imagine it's because they want to spend their CG budget on the dragons and mereen and shit, but still. All the wolves may as well be dead at this point.

I wonder if they're even going to bother to give us any more on Nymeria. I doubt they will.

RaidenZR

I thought it was pretty cool how Jorah just fucking marched into that gladiator pit and took out everyone without killing anyone. The Batman of Westeros right there.

I sorta loved that part. Like he knew Dany probably wasn't a fan of the display so he only participated as much as he had to. He also knew they were all scrubs. Go TeamJorah.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone gif Tyrion sawing his chain? This looked so funny to me.

Jorah's like "I am Maximus Decimus Meridius. I just gave all of your men the plague."

Jeez, what the hell?

I understood the overall point that Theon betrayed Sansa in that moment, but the way it was edited/depicted I thought it could have been a situation where Theon didn't expect Ramsey to be where he was and was intimidated on the spot... so he confessed the scheme. Like he didn't have an excuse to be where he ended up so he looked dumb for being there. So sue me, I misread. It's not like the show's editing and depiction is infallible, as last week's episode proves.

That scene was set up to confuse and surprise the viewer. We're supposed to think he's going up the stairs of the Broken Tower to light the candle, but he's going to Ramsay's quarters. I think the editing was a little clumsy since they also left an impression that Ramsay was eating his meal in the Broken Tower.

It's disappointing that they're not giving Theon any gradual redemption. I expected him to be too afraid to light the candle, but at least hide it, not to betray Sansa anew. Book Theon wasn't like this.

I think the whole rape attempt scene was to remind the audience that the nights watch consists of former murderers and rapists who took the black to be absolved of their sins. These guys are really bad.. u know, the kind of guys who would stab their lord commander on the back..

Trouble

Banned
No, but the recent mentions of Oldtown/Sam wanting to be a Maester on the show and there was some scouting location news this week that people are assuming is Oldtown.

I mean, the books have set up that trip as being pivotal to the story at the wall, so I can't imagine them leaving it out. They can skip the whole Braavos part of that trip, though.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Not every Targaryan is immune to fire. Only the ones that are "of the Dragon" or whatever her brother thought he was in season 1.

Someone really needs to correct these show watchers. Also, it seems many of them are confused about how Cercei can be imprisoned by the High Septon and why guardsmen wouldn't immediately come in and kill all of them. Hopefully the next episode will clear that up for them.

I mean, the books have set up that trip as being pivotal to the story at the wall, so I can't imagine them leaving it out. They can skip the whole Braavos part of that trip, though.

Has it? We know very little about the importance of Oldtown and I figured it was ripe for the chopping block.

That scene was set up to confuse and surprise the viewer. We're supposed to think he's going up the stairs of the Broken Tower to light the candle, but he's going to Ramsay's quarters. I think the editing was a little clumsy since they also left an impression that Ramsay was eating his meal in the Broken Tower.

It's disappointing that they're not giving Theon any gradual redemption. I expected him to be too afraid to light the candle, but at least hide it, not to betray Sansa anew. Book Theon wasn't like this.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in the show because we saw all his torture vs the book. They've got to make all that have some weight to it I guess. I'm guessing he breaks down in front of her at some point and Sansa serves as the Weirwood tree that Theon confesses everything to.

Agree with your other assertion though. Wish he hid it vs selling her out. At least we can put the Gramsay Bolton theory out to pasture now.

Damerman

Jeez, what the hell?

And I'm also well aware Littlefinger handed Olivar over to Cersei on a silver platter. It just sounded like he was talking about a completely unforeseen event. Lancel seemed like a given long ago and I'm surprised that they had to connect Littlefinger to that. Seemed unnecessary since Lancel's already in with the Faith, so I thought they might be setting up something else down the line.

i didn't mean for my post to come off as condescending. It was just a passing observation. sorry.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I pretty much stepped out last week because of yada yada. I thought the pacing was very odd for this episode, but still enjoyed it. I fear for Shireen, and I was actually quite glad that Dany and Tyrion met, I'm really itching to see what happens.

They are still going to stop by at Braavos, where Arya is going to get on the boat (after she kills Meryn Trant) and then replace Jaqen as the FM's undercover agent in the Citadel in season 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom