• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

Good episode. Nice to see Ghost again and the Ameon scenes before that were pretty good. Sad to see him go.
Sank Snakes were decent enough in the episode and the whole poison thing was wrapped up quicker than I was expecting. Happy to see they didn't try to drag that out. Also helps that they didn't have Obara randomly shouting who she is and what her motive is heh.
Always happy to see Cersei's plans blow up in her face. Plus Jonathan Pryce is doing a great job as The High Sparrow. Jorah and Tyrion side of things are still fun to watch.
Next weeks preview looks great. Can't wait to see it.

duckroll

What if Thorne sends Sam away under the pretense of protecting him and Gilly, or gathering "valuable information" for the Watch, just so he won't be around to warn Jon when they all decide to go STABBY STABBY?

eot

Banned
It seems like no one in the non-reader thread understand how the faith militant suddenly became a thing and why they have power. The show ought to have explained that more clearly. They didn't even have the writing off the debt thing.

old

My feeling is Thorne goes the other way and executes the stabbers. I think he's gonna zig when we think he's gonna zag. That kid is definetly one of the stabbers too.

NeoGiff

What if Thorne sends Sam away under the pretense of protecting him and Gilly, or gathering "valuable information" for the Watch, just so he won't be around to warn Jon when they all decide to go STABBY STABBY?

This is a very good prediction, and it was even set up in this episode.

You people don't know how to use spoiler tags. If you're going to tag something, say what the source of the spoiler is so people have some idea if they want to see it. Is it preview discussion, a leak?

GAFers in general are horrible at this. The Bloodborne OT was horrible for this.

When I'm fighting
boss
I always mess up
boss's nasty attack.

I'll never understand the thought processes behind shit like that.

duckroll

GAFers in general are horrible at this. The Bloodborne OT was horrible for this.

When I'm fighting
boss
I always mess up
boss's nasty attack.

I'll never understand the thought processes behind shit like that.

We've tried to address this with helpful FAQs like this one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

Unfortunately I think most people don't even read the FAQ forum after getting accounts approved! :(

Moff

anyone else thought for a second the high sparrow would deliver septon meribalds speech to olenna?

very good episode overall, nothing particulary unexpected happen, though

I do wonder who littlefinger was talking about though. the obvious person would be lancel, but I feel the high sparrow made clear that he knew everything about cersei since the beginning, so what did littlefinger do?

and I feel conflicted about the sand snake scene, their best one so far, but it did feel pointless and just an excuse to show nudity, and although tyene indeed is remarkably beaufitul that would be a bit lazy. on the other hand I am super glad that bronn will live. a new prince of dorne incoming?

and since theon didn't light the candle they will probably have to rely on brienne, I really hope they don't kill theon, that would be the worst

and egg mentioned, I thought for a second melisandre would call stannis azor ahai

preview:
hardhome looks amazing, very excited

Olly is so going to stab Jon. I hope he at least nods after the deed.

Jon will look up at him and say "et tu Olly" And Olly will nod.

anyone else thought for a second the high sparrow would deliver septon meribalds speech to olenna?

very good episode overall, nothing particulary unexpected happen, though

I do wonder who littlefinger was talking about though. the obvious person would be lancel, but I feel the high sparrow made clear that he knew everything about cersei since the beginning

and I feel conflicted about the sand snake scene, their best one so far, but it did feel pointless and just an excuse to show nudity, and although tyene indee is remarkably beaufitul that would be a bit lazy. on the other hand I am super glad that bronn will live. a knew prince of dorne incoming?

and since theon didn't light the candle they will probably have to rely on brienne, I really hope they don't kill theon, that would be the worst

preview:
hardhome looks amazing, very excited

I'm more convinced now that the high sparrow used Cersei to lock up the Tyrels and then when they were both locked up felt comfortable enough to go after her.

Ratrat

Remind me why Olily would care enough about some watch vows and aiding Stannis enough to kill Jon?
I'm sure it's going to happen, but I'm not sure if there's enough incentive. Unless he already wants to after the hard home stuff.

Remind me why Olily would care enough about some watch vows and aiding Stannis enough to kill Jon?
I'm sure it's going to happen, but I'm not sure if there's enough incentive. Unless he already wants to after the hard home stuff.

Did you piss the part where he said "they butchured my parents" to Jon. He was raised to think of wildlings as the boogeymen. He can't help but hate them. Every scene involving the wildlings he's had a miserable look on his face and now Jon is going to save them.

Ratrat

Yes, but what does that have to with a Bolton vs Stannis war? I guess I'm thinking too much of it in terms of that being the pushing point(pink letter), which it is for most of the brothers, I guess for Oily it's before that.

Yes, but what does that have to with a Bolton vs Stannis war? I guess I'm thinking too much of it in terms of that being the pushing point(pink letter), which it is for most of the brothers, I guess for Oily it's before that.

There probably won't be a pink letter. The story line has changed substantially. Sansa is out in the open and married to Ramsay.

The show has been making the wildlings the pushing point. Almost every scene with a disgruntled watchman involves discontent about Jon's relations with the wildlings.

duckroll

I don't think there will be a pink letter. Jon happily leaving the Wall to join the Wildlings and taking Stannis' ships to try and bring even MORE of them back, freeing those who killed many of their brothers during the assault on the Wall is more than enough for them to all turn on him. Especially since they now have time to brood and spread dissent among themselves while Jon is gone.

Moff

I hope there will be a letter, it would just fit perfectly, read by iwan rheon, show watchers know and "love" him enough by now to be thrilled by that. and then that euphoria when jon decides to march against him. I remember that feeling when I read the books, and I want the show watchers to feel it, too.

fuzzyset

Do any of you think Bronn could still be rolled into the part of Arys Oakheart and Gerold Dayne or no? I mean what was the reason for the Sand Snakes at all? And why poison Bronn, then give him the antidote while flirting so heavily? Maybe Tyene is an amalgam of Arianne's cut part, and Bronn will develop affection for her. He's a sellsword after all. Why go back to Kings Landing when he can have a taste of the Dornishman's wife. Stay in Dorne, fuck Tyene, fight etc.

It's possible. Wasn't the reason he went with Jaime because he was promised a better looking wife (after complaining about how ugly his wife was)?

Yea. I wonder if the theory that he is Reed will hold up. I don't think so.

Is that a book theory or show theory? Never heard of that one. Howland Reed? That would bum me out if he was a religious fanatic. Unless he's faking it to undermine the Lannisters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
much better episode. it's pretty much exactly what I want from a mid-season GOT episode.

Ratrat

I love the pink letter and the letter last season...

It would be kind of lame if Jon just comes back to the wall and gets stabbed. No rousing war speech or possibility of Jon going after Ramsay and saving Sansa and Theon.
But it might not work if Stannis' fate isn't ambiguous.

bengraven

God...damn...Jorah and Tyrion moved fast this episode.

SCENE 1 - on the auction block
SCENE 2 - fighting in the pits and meeting Dany

Also, if the leaked pictures are to be believed, this went a completely different way than i pictured.
There's supposed to be a bigger pit scene. I think she's going to send Jorah and Tyrion into the pits again. Something will make her and her crew get into the pit....maybe she suddenly feels for Jorah and goes down to interupt herself, but she' and Daario and the Unsullied end up in that pit and that's when the harpies strike (likely Hezhdar (sp?) in his seat with a big grin on his face, Walder Frey style). Then Drogon.

Ever since I read the first Tyrion preview chapters for Dance and realized he was on his way to her, I've been dreaming of this. Last night, just saying his name to her was enough to make my fanboy hairs stand on end.

Seriously been looking forward to that scene for probably 7-8 years.

GRRM will do it better

It's possible. Wasn't the reason he went with Jaime because he was promised a better looking wife (after complaining about how ugly his wife was)?

Is that a book theory or show theory? Never heard of that one. Howland Reed? That would bum me out if he was a religious fanatic. Unless he's faking it to undermine the Lannisters.

Theory that Howland Reed is using the religion to undermine the enemies of the North.

bengraven

What is TyOnn?

tumblr_noryzwMj9Q1ts2csgo1_540.jpg

mantidor

Something I don't get is how the Boltons are a noble house, they are almost cartoonishly evil, their banner is of man beong flayed alive just to start, one would imagine such a barbaric clan would be regarded in the same light as the wildings. I'm not saying the other houses are nice, they all do bad stuff, but they all cover it in this image of honor and courage (lions, wolfs, roses, etc)

Is it better explained in the books?

I love the pink letter and the letter last season...

It would be kind of lame if Jon just comes back to the wall and gets stabbed. No rousing war speech or possibility of Jon going after Ramsay and saving Sansa and Theon.
But it might not work if Stannis' fate isn't ambiguous.

Jon was getting a lot of pressure from Stannis and Davos to leave the wall and fight in Winterfell, getting a letter from Sansa might just be what he needs to get him to go. They even set that up a bit this week.

Moff

Something I don't get is how the Boltons are a noble house, they are almost cartoonishly evil, their banner is of man beong flayed alive just to start, one would imagine such a barbaric clan would be regarded in the same light as the wildings. I'm not saying the other houses are nice, they all do bad stuff, but they all cover it in this image of honor and courage (lions, wolfs, roses, etc)

on the contrary, roose is a straight up comicbook vampire in the books

Flaying is hidden in the books. While they're as evil in the books, Roose is very smart about keeping the really horrible things hidden.

Kain

Ever since I read the first Tyrion preview chapters for Dance and realized he was on his way to her, I've been dreaming of this. Last night, just saying his name to her was enough to make my fanboy hairs stand on end.

GRRM will do it better

I expect sarcasm and scorn overload, anything less than that will be a dissappointment. I hope the show and the books can deliver because, seriously, it's should be one of the biggest moments in all the series.

The HS=Howland Reed theory is one of the most plausible theories out there to be honest. It would explain his total absence from the story even though he is one of the most important support people for the Stark characters, it would explain his awesomeness and his hate for the Lannisters. Yeah, right, he doesn't "hate" the Lannisters per se as much as their corruption, but his religious fervor could very well be a façade for his hate. Just picture it: Tommen dead, Cersei humiliated to the infinity and beyond, Jaime kidnapped again or even dead and then a close caption of the HS praying: "I'm sorry Ned for being so late, this is the best I could do". And then TWOW ends. Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

duckroll

I think your perception is too modern. Nobility in such a setting has very little to do with culture or morals. It's entirely about bloodline and heritage. Wildlings are considered barbarians by most not because of their acts (let's face it, most people have never even met one) but because they live outside of "proper" society.

Ratrat

They don't actually flay people, just Ramsay bringing back an old and banned tradition. On the surface they are no worse than the Greyjoys, if not less so. Ramsay is slightly less comical in the books but he still has 0 redeeming qualities. Roose is pretty similar overall, great casting.

Massa

God...damn...Jorah and Tyrion moved fast this episode.

SCENE 1 - on the auction block
SCENE 2 - fighting in the pits and meeting Dany

Also, if the leaked pictures are to be believed, this went a completely different way than i pictured.
There's supposed to be a bigger pit scene. I think she's going to send Jorah and Tyrion into the pits again. Something will make her and her crew get into the pit....maybe she suddenly feels for Jorah and goes down to interupt herself, but she' and Daario and the Unsullied end up in that pit and that's when the harpies strike (likely Hezhdar (sp?) in his seat with a big grin on his face, Walder Frey style). Then Drogon.

GRRM will do it better

That D&D interview seems to imply it doesn't happen at all in the books.

fuzzyset

It's a combination of things if I remember. First, the Starks outlawed flaying generations ago. They kept the flayed man as their banner as a remembrance of their heritage (aka confederate flag argument). Second, the Northmen are known to be rougher than the southern houses (Tyrells, Lannisters, Baratheons). Third, if I remember correctly, Roose/Ramsay are particularly cruel compared to other modern Boltons. War and conniving allow them to get away with more.

Moff

They don't actually flay people, just Ramsay. On the surface they are no worse than the Greyjoys.

weren't there rumours that they always kept flaying people although the starks outlawed it? I'm pretty sure roose started flaying openly as soon as robb was dead.

another thing: was the shadow baby not a far too powerful and flawed plot device?
as far as I remember, it didn't require any kind of blood sacrifice, stannis and melisandre simply had sex. why don't they make a legion of shadow babies to kill all the oppsing rulers?
that crossed my mind when melisandre rejected stannis today.

Kain

We don't know what the shadow baby actually takes in terms of time and materials. Aside from fucking that is.

The Boltons in the books are shady and cruel, but the Umbers for example are viewed as savage brutes and the Mormonts as strange and bear-like, they are not very different from other northern houses. The weirdest northern house is the Manderlys because they are exiles from the south and were "adopted" into the North. And they are weird because one could consider them southern in their manners and customs.

What they pointed out is that Roose seemed to have brought back that thing about bedding your vassal's wives in their wedding night (that's how Ramsay came about) and the Starks didn't like that so they warned Roose, who layed low since then. The flaying aspect is also never made public.

weren't there rumours that they always kept flaying people although the starks outlawed it? I'm pretty sure roose started flaying openly as soon as robb was dead.

another thing: was the shadow baby not a far too powerful and flawed plot device?
as far as I remember, it didn't require any kind of blood sacrifice, stannis and melisandre simply had sex. why don't they make a legion of shadow babies to kill all the oppsing rulers?
Because it takes a toll on the man producing it. It's not apparent in the show, but producing just two ages Stannis by years and makes him look sickly.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Because he's not strong enough for a second shadow baby. It's probably the worst plot device in the entire books, mainly because there are almost no consequences for it, plus it sounds ridiculous. Also Roose has always kept things under check: "a peaceful land, a quiet people"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom