• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

RING
DD: Hey George!
GEORGE: So yeah, Dorne looks gorgeous! Great job, almost close to my vision, though you should have named the city Sunspear. SUNSPEAR. You know, Dorne is the name of the region, like "The North" and "The Riverl---"
DD: What can we do for you?
GEORGE: WOOO, uh, you guys, uh, working on Season 6 still?
DD: Yeah, thanks for the notes. We understand the parts you think are important, but getting characters together faster than the books is more important we th---
GEORGE: The Sand Snakes suck. Dorne sucks. They're Power Rangers with no clothes and perfect, melon-like soft tits.
DD: S...sorry you and everyone on the internet feels that way...
GEORGE: I'm still writing you know. I want you to know that NOW...NOW Euron plays a major part in the ending. He's important.
DD: Gotcha.
GEORGE: Yeah...rectify this shit. Because if the show's shit is not rectified, the show is shit in my rectum...fied. Got it?
DD: You're not our boss. lol
GEORGE: Oh shit...oh no...no...I just wrote Littlefinger's death scene...and just removed all the rape...
DD: N-no! Don't kill Littlefinger, anyone but littlefinger! Kill the baby! Smash it's brains out and rape it! Not LF...and please please put more rape in!
GEORGE: Tsk...no...
DD: Okay, we're going to the Iron Islands! WOO!
GEORGE: YAY.

bengraven

The priestess is killing me. My heart says it's Lemure.

AKA LADY ASHARA DAYNE.

But then again, her skin color isn't important.

Is it weird that I think LF and Euron are partners in crime? Euron will betray him in the end, of course.

The only honeyplot LF hasn't got his fingers in is the one he wanted the most.

Iksenpets

Banned
Judging by hints from this season and coupled with new locations for Season 6 and my tinfoil predictions:

With Aemon's death and Gilly's almost rape this season, Sam will leave the Wall and go to the Citadel to become a Maester. At the end of Season 5, we'll find out that Balon has died (or even see it) and that Euron (fuk ya) has become King of the Iron Islands. We find out in Season 6 that the Dragon Horn is actually in Oldtown and Euron is launching an invasion of the Reach in order to retreive it. Randyll Tarly is tasked with defending the Reach against Euron and Sam is caught up in all this. By the end of Season 6, Dany and her dragons will be in Westeros and Euron will have the Horn.

This seems correct to me. I think we're moving the location of the initial Dany-Ironborn confrontation from Meereen to Westeros. I'm not sure if they'll go so far as to merge Tarly into Lord Hightower and make him lord of Oldtown, but I think he'll definitely be brought in for the defense of the city.

Also, I missed that there's a Septon Meribald style character in there. Maybe merged into the priest who takes care of the Hound? Not much to go off of there, but it does confirm a return to the Riverlands.

Guesses for major season 6 plots:

King's Landing: Trials for Cersei and the Tyrells, Sand Snakes come to the capital to do whatever it is they're going to do.

Riverlands: Some sort of anti-Frey action. It'll be hard to tell unless we get some leaks about returning Brotherhood members or the Tullys coming back. There wouldn't be any new casting needed here, so it won't show up on these calls. The Hound may somehow be worked back in here.

Oldtown: Pretty much as you summed up above. Euron attacking, Tarly defending, Sam caught up in the middle while researching at the Citadel. The Citadel definitely holds some important relics and/or knowledge.

The North: Who fucking knows. Maybe it'll be easier to tell once we know how they end this season. I suspect that the mission to find Rickon will be worked in somehow, even if it's greatly abridged, and somehow Bran will probably influence events somewhere or another with his magic. We'll get some sort of plot for him under the tree. And then of course there could be the battle, if that's omitted from this season.

Dany: Probably just ransacking across the East on her way to making it to Westeros by season's end.

Arya: Sounds like she'll still be in the East, for the time at least. Maybe she somehow intersects with Dany's army, if she's not going to head back toward Westeros any time soon.

And that seems like it! Plot lines are definitely contracting.

I'm getting confused about what people are joking about and not joking about...

Are those parts about Randyll true?

As far as Oldtown: I thought it was kind of cool in the books and a proper story for Samwell but I always thought it was coming in late in the story. I mean Sam just started or is early in his Maester training or at least we haven't seen the specifics of it, which is fine.

Going on the idea that the show will be 7 season, how the hell do you do that in Two season with the last season being wrap up. It feels WAY too late to send Sam there and have it mean anything. I know the timeline of the show gets moved and rushed but can you really send off Sam at the end of this season and have him back or have him be a maester withing two seasons?

bengraven

As far as Oldtown: I thought it was kind of cool in the books and a proper story for Samwell but I always thought it was coming in late in the story. I mean Sam just started or is early in his Maester training or at least we haven't seen the specifics of it, which is fine.

Going on the idea that the show will be 7 season, how the hell do you do that in Two season with the last season being wrap up. It feels WAY too late to send Sam there and have it mean anything. I know the timeline of the show gets moved and rushed but can you really send off Sam at the end of this season and have him back or have him be a maester withing two seasons?

We're speculating.

The only thing we half joke and half discuss are tinfoil crazy theories. Some of us believe them, some of us don't. Some make sense (Daario and Euron), some don't (High Septon Reed). It's a kind of in joke that we're all obsessed with "our" theories.

This seems correct to me. I think we're moving the location of the initial Dany-Ironborn confrontation from Meereen to Westeros. I'm not sure if they'll go so far as to merge Tarly into Lord Hightower and make him lord of Oldtown, but I think he'll definitely be brought in for the defense of the city.

Also, I missed that there's a Septon Meribald style character in there. Maybe merged into the priest who takes care of the Hound? Not much to go off of there, but it does confirm a return to the Riverlands.

Guesses for major season 6 plots:

King's Landing: Trials for Cersei and the Tyrells, Sand Snakes come to the capital to do whatever it is they're going to do.

Riverlands: Some sort of anti-Frey action. It'll be hard to tell unless we get some leaks about returning Brotherhood members or the Tullys coming back. There wouldn't be any new casting needed here, so it won't show up on these calls. The Hound may somehow be worked back in here.

Oldtown: Pretty much as you summed up above. Euron attacking, Tarly defending, Sam caught up in the middle while researching at the Citadel. The Citadel definitely holds some important relics and/or knowledge.

The North: Who fucking knows. Maybe it'll be easier to tell once we know how they end this season. I suspect that the mission to find Rickon will be worked in somehow, even if it's greatly abridged, and somehow Bran will probably influence events somewhere or another with his magic. We'll get some sort of plot for him under the tree. And then of course there could be the battle, if that's omitted from this season.

Dany: Probably just ransacking across the East on her way to making it to Westeros by season's end.

Arya: Sounds like she'll still be in the East, for the time at least. Maybe she somehow intersects with Dany's army, if she's not going to head back toward Westeros any time soon.

And that seems like it! Plot lines are definitely contracting.

- I think it's a very strong possibility that Tarly could become Lord High Tower now.
- I think Meribald will be the person to find a possibly broken Brienne and Pod post battle of Winterfell. I have a feeling she's going to Oldtown as well, maybe, since she is tied to Tarly at least in the books. That would make sense for her.
- Agreed about KL stuff and Sand Snakes. Don't think we'll see Riverlands though. We'll see the Hound maybe, but it will be an undisclosed location somewhere that Brienne is taken by Meribald. Maybe the North or maybe the Riverlands, maybe, but we probably won't know because D and D don't care about geography and time lapses. Agreed about everything else, but I think Dany is going to be on her way to Westeros by the beginning of next season and Arya as well sometime in Season 6.

We're speculating.

The only thing we half joke and half discuss are tinfoil crazy theories. Some of us believe them, some of us don't. Some make sense (Daario and Euron), some don't (High Septon Reed). It's a kind of in joke that we're all obsessed with "our" theories.

Ok, but they seem to be indicating that Sam could be going to OldTown in the show, which still feels like it's way too late. MAybe they send him there and we just don't see him anymore because I can't imagine they have him at the wall without Jon. Feels like a case where he's going to get an associate Maeter's degree from DeVry in 6 weeks and be on the job in no time!

Euron

So now that Euron's in the show, should I have my name changed to Daario Crow's Eye now that I don't have to worry about being accused of spoiling show-watchers anymore?

bengraven

Ok, but they seem to be indicating that Sam could be going to OldTown in the show, which still feels like it's way too late. MAybe they send him there and we just don't see him anymore because I can't imagine they have him at the wall without Jon. Feels like a case where he's going to get an associate Maeter's degree from DeVry in 6 weeks and be on the job in no time!

Hell it feels that way in the BOOKS.

No way Sam is going to become a maester unless there was the time gap. Speaking of which, the five year gap is SO obvious for every single character in the books. Arya needing time to become an assassin, Jon needing to become a strong lord commander, Sam a maester, Sansa a manipulator, Bran a seer, Dany a queen, Tyrion a sober person.

The books and the show would have been much better with the gap. Imagine starting a book and getting to relearn the characters as they're older and more interesting. You really wouldn't need that many flashbacks unless you're anal and George is anal.

Sam is going to become a maester I think, whether we have two seasons left or not.

and by the way, come on HBO, now that they're going TOO fast you need to make them do a half season extra at least.

Kain

The timeskip in the books worked for some characters, for others it didn't, that's why he didn't use it in the end.

For Arya or Jon it sounds great, for Dany or Tyrion sounds horrible.

Showaddy

Just speculation obviously but with Garlan & Willas cut, Loras in a cell for buggery (-_-), Euron cast and Randyll apparently interacting with Sam it's not a stretch to assume he'll be the one leading the Reach against the Ironborn.

All his possible King's Landing material is pretty much finished now anyway as well.

I really really really hope we get the Hound back on the Quiet Isle, and then in King's Landing as the Faith's champion in Cersei's trial. Can you imagine the audience reaction!?

bengraven

The timeskip in the books worked for some characters, for others it didn't, that's why he didn't use it in the end.

I think Tyrion and Dany works, but Jaime, Cersei, and Brienne do not. Maybe if Cersei went to Casterly Rock and Jaime became hand of the king and Brienne the head of the guards, then you can maybe add five years because then nothing would need to happen. We'd cut back to Brienne haven proven herself to her lessers, Jaime failing a bit as Hand but keeping a good grasp of security, and Cersei half drunk and crazy.

Season 7 being extended makes the most sense.

I'm thinking an extra 6 episodes maybe.

Iksenpets

Banned
Hell it feels that way in the BOOKS.

No way Sam is going to become a maester unless there was the time gap. Speaking of which, the five year gap is SO obvious for every single character in the books. Arya needing time to become an assassin, Jon needing to become a strong lord commander, Sam a maester, Sansa a manipulator, Bran a seer, Dany a queen, Tyrion a sober person.

The books and the show would have been much better with the gap. Imagine starting a book and getting to relearn the characters as they're older and more interesting. You really wouldn't need that many flashbacks unless you're anal and George is anal.

Sam is going to become a maester I think, whether we have two seasons left or not.

and by the way, come on HBO, now that they're going TOO fast you need to make them do a half season extra at least.

No way Sam is a Maester by the end, it's just important that he learn something there, and that he witness whatever events unfold. The only way we'll ever see Maester Samwell is if there's some five-year flash forward at the end showing us where all the surviving characters ended up.

I think the North was the big problem area. No way Stannis and Bolton just sit in their respective castles for five years. Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that the North ends up having the best plot, since it's the location that was really meant to have plot ongoing at this point in time.

I almost wish he had just left the characters for whom the gap really worked out of the book, and just reintroduced them in Winds to kind of approximate the gap. People would've cried bloody murder about no Arya, but man that Mercy scene would've been great if it had gotten to play its originally intended role of being our first reintroduction to Arya.

Euron

I'm thinking an extra 6 episodes maybe.
They won't have the budget for that. GRRM has been trying to get them to make more episodes per season for years but the budget simply isn't there. And things are going to get bigger (more expensive) than ever at the end of the series. I'm pretty certain at this point they'll do the same as Breaking Bad/Mad Men and split Season 7 up over two years. Or they can use GRRM's other tactic and make the finale into a movie. But that probably won't happen.

No no, I'm talking about a year off. Like the Sopranos did. Not an extended season, but an extra half season.

I was going to say "um, yeah, they got the budget man..."
Just give us another D&D Dialogue.

bengraven

No way Sam is a Maester by the end, it's just important that he learn something there, and that he witness whatever events unfold. The only way we'll ever see Maester Samwell is if there's some five-year flash forward at the end showing us where all the surviving characters ended up.

I actually think Sam won't become a maester at the end of the books either. I have a feeling something is going to interrupt his training. He'll realize he doesn't need it - he's studied enough or maybe he'll become a wizard. I don't know. Maybe someone will take him under his wing.

Or maybe he'll just get elected Master of the Citadel by his manipulating friends, despite being the youngest for centuries and then will have a gruff maester hate him and he has him killed and then kills the boy and no, I don't know.

I think Sam's story, if I can be hopeful for a moment in this grim dark bittersweet world, is that he'll realize all these fucking vows they keep pushing on him because the world doesn't feel he's worthy are pure shit. He has a girl, he has a kid, in many ways he's already a family man. He doesn't need to be a celibate brother of anything. He can just run off to work in a scribery or something shit in King's Landing to support his family.

They won't have the budget for that. GRRM has been trying to get them to make more episodes per season for years but the budget simply isn't there. And things are going to get bigger (more expensive) than ever at the end of the series. I'm pretty certain at this point they'll do the same as Breaking Bad/Mad Men and split Season 7 up over two years. Or they can use GRRM's other tactic and make the finale into a movie. But that probably won't happen.

No no, I'm talking about a year off. Like the Sopranos did. Not an extended season, but an extra half season.

I was going to say "um, yeah, they got the budget man..."

I actually think Sam won't become a maester at the end of the books either. I have a feeling something is going to interrupt his training. He'll realize he doesn't need it - he's studied enough or maybe he'll become a wizard. I don't know. Maybe someone will take him under his wing.
I guess he would learn everything about the Others, and then just bail, drop his maester duties and escape back to the Wall in time for some fights.

Interesting Tarly speculation. Initially I wondered what they'd do with him, given that Aegon/Connington have presumably been cut. In the books it seems pretty clear he's going to betray the Tyrells and join Aegon. Replacing Garlan to face off against Euron makes sense, although I'm not sure if fans will care about two new characters fighting over stuff that doesn't matter to them. Having Tarly defend Oldtown (ie Sam and Gilly) makes a lot of sense and gives viewers a reason to care.

Kain

I don't think we can have high school drama with Sam in the book 6 of the series, so yeah, I can't see him becoming maester either. I like the idea of him becoming a wizard, but Marwyn is gone so someone else has to teach him the ways of crazy and glass candles. Or he just goes home and stays there, I don't know.

Speaking of Marwyn, I fully expect him to die on the way to Meereen.

Just speculation obviously but with Garlan & Willas cut, Loras in a cell for buggery (-_-), Euron cast and Randyll apparently interacting with Sam it's not a stretch to assume he'll be the one leading the Reach against the Ironborn.

All his possible King's Landing material is pretty much finished now anyway as well.

I meant is the Euron casting a real thing. I just assumed Randyll would show up eventually. Well I assumed we would have seen him long before now but I'll take what I can get.

I got into a discussion about 'fan-service' in the novel and show. I don't like the term because it seems like an easy way to dismiss something jsut because you don't like it without judging content. My friend said he is praying Randyll and Samwell never meet in the book or show because that's just fanservice and is lame and serves no purpose. I disagree: Sam's father is a large part of his life and arc and where he is now. I will be really mad if they can't at least have some moment where Randyll realizes Sam is a great man has to eat some crow. I don't mean figuratively either; I want Sam to punch his old man in the mouth!

bengraven

I guess he would learn everything about the Others, and then just bail, drop his maester duties and escape back to the Wall in time for some fights.

Leaves Gilly behind and gets himself killed. Sounds about right. More realistic than mine.

Or maybe he actually teaches the Citadel about the Others, since he has killed one. Maybe they can all cook up a plan for a sort of dragonglass atomic bomb.

Iksenpets

Banned
Interesting Tarly speculation. Initially I wondered what they'd do with him, given that Aegon/Connington have presumably been cut. In the books it seems pretty clear he's going to betray the Tyrells and join Aegon. Replacing Garlan to face off against Euron makes sense, although I'm not sure if fans will care about two new characters fighting over stuff that doesn't matter to them. Having Tarly defend Oldtown (ie Sam and Gilly) makes a lot of sense and gives viewers a reason to care.

I think some elements of his support for Aegon can be worked in by having him be one of Varys and Illyrio's partners working to bring the Targs back, along with Doran. We probably won't know that at first when Tarly is defending the city for the Tyrells, but I could see the twist being that he then hands it over to the newly arrived Dany.

-griffy-

Banned
They'd need to split it, they can't make more than 10 a year with their current production schedule.

I can envision a scenario where they are granted a larger budget and more than a year to produce an extended final season, where it would have a delayed start in the summer instead of March/April and go for 13-14 episodes.

bengraven

Six episodes with the budget of a 10 episode season, one year after season 7. Make it a major event. The fucking money would print itself.

Iksenpets

Banned
I can envision a scenario where they are granted a larger budget and more than a year to produce an extended final season, where it would have a delayed start in the summer instead of March/April and go for 13-14 episodes.

I think the most likely scenario is that they film 14 episodes all at once for contractual reasons, with the first 7 coming out at the normal time, or maybe a month or two thereafter, and the last 7 held to be finished up and released 6-12 months later.

Anyone got any casting pics for the roles we have here? I'm feeling James Purefoy for Euron and Graham McTavish for Randyll.

bengraven

Remember guys...don't count on Ian McShane too much...

tumblr_mx534l7XoV1qcxymno2_500.gif

Turin

Banned
I'm looking for signs of Howland Reed but I guess not(I actually like the HS theory but I think it's unlikely).

They'll have to integrate the Blackfish at some point I would hope. He could very well still be holding up at Riverrun I suppose but they might just fast forward to whatever he's supposed to do after his escape.

They are still going to stop by at Braavos, where Arya is going to get on the boat (after she kills Meryn Trant) and then replace Jaqen as the FM's undercover agent in the Citadel in season 6.

I think you're right.

Of course, we don't know where Arya's going in the books. The odds are also fairly good that she's headed toward Dany.

I was really drawn into the Oldtown story, but part of the interest for me in the books was thinking that it was the Faceless Men (arguably Jaquen H'gar) acting in Oldtown, but the fact that the show has him placed an ocean away and has made him a regular character makes me less interested. The Oldtown stuff got me thinking about "who is financing the Faceless men to do this... why is this so important..." etc.

I have little interest in Oldtown in the show because there isn't any mystery there at all. It's just a place some people mentioned.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm looking for signs of Howland Reed but I guess not(I actually like the HS theory but I think it's unlikely).

They'll have to integrate the Blackfish at some point I would hope. He could very well still be holding up at Riverrun I suppose but they might just fast forward to whatever he's supposed to do after his escape.

I could see Howland as the last major casting for season 7. I think he's the only major character who could show up that late in the game.

Damerman

...yeah, that could happen but it's just so late and pointless now. I figured Asha mentions Balon dying when she has a scene this season and that will convince Stannis to act but I struggle to care about anything the Ironborn do now. They gave us Theon and that's all they need to do.
I disagree. I wanna see victarion try to mary deanerys and i wanna see the dragon horn.

Turin

Banned
I could see Howland as the last major casting for season 7. I think he's the only major character who could show up that late in the game.

I could see Greywater Watch being a sanctuary at some point. I've always wanted to see it.

I've wondered if the Crannogmen or if that general area has some sort of connection to the Children but there don't seem to be any strong hints for that.

Sean C

Casting!
The rest of the characters? No idea. No sign of any Dothraki, which would add to the mounting evidence that that's being cut entirely.
Actually, the "mixed ethnicity" warrior sounds to me like he could be a Dothraki. The sounds like the sort of look they've gone for with the Dothraki in the past.

The priest sounds like a Meribald/Elder Brother combination (personality sounds far more like the latter), so one imagines that means the Hound returning. Given the changes made the storyline already, highly, highly unlikely that Brienne will be involved there.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I was really drawn into the Oldtown story, but part of the interest for me in the books was thinking that it was the Faceless Men (arguably Jaquen H'gar) acting in Oldtown, but the fact that the show has him placed an ocean away and has made him a regular character makes me less interested. The Oldtown stuff got me thinking about "who is financing the Faceless men to do this... why is this so important..." etc.

I have little interest in Oldtown in the show because there isn't any mystery there at all. It's just a place some people mentioned.

I'll agree with that, there is so much mystery to Oldtown in the books you are just dying to figure what's going on there. You've got Leyton Hightower who hasn't come down from Hightower in over a decade and is said to consult with sorcerers practicing black magic, you've got the glass candles burning, Faceless Men, Sarella/Alleras, the sphinx is the riddle not the riddler, Ironborn, etc. In the show we don't have any of that stuff so it probably won't be as interesting.

I want this now.

Iksenpets

Banned
Actually, the "mixed ethnicity" warrior sounds to me like he could be a Dothraki. The sounds like the sort of look they've gone for with the Dothraki in the past.

The priest sounds like a Meribald/Elder Brother combination (personality sounds far more like the latter), so one imagines that means the Hound returning. Given the changes made the storyline already, highly, highly unlikely that Brienne will be involved there.

I missed the warrior. You're right, that could be a Dothraki.

And yeah, Brienne is no longer our Riverlands protagonist. I think maybe Jaime will end up there, trying to find out where she went. I think it's possible that Jaime is ultimately the more important character to the Riverlands plot in the book, and so it may only really matter that he be there.

Faddy

Banned
RING
DD: Hey
GEORGE: The Sand Snakes suck. Dorne sucks. They're Power Rangers with no clothes and perfect, melon-like soft tits.

Sorry this took me right out your fanfic. Everyone know George is a lecherous pervy old man. He would have no complaints about the sexy sand snakes.

Some of the show summaries say that Ramsay had set up his office in the Broken Tower and that, suddenly paranoid at being caught, Theon blabbered.

Then others are saying that Theon just skipped the Broken Tower and went straight to Ramsay, who has an office somewhere else and he revealed everything.

I'm still not sure which is which.

Someone said this to me at work, and they are idiots if they think that fucking Ramsay is hanging out in a wind blown tower all day, the same tower we saw a glimpse of in Episode 1 when Cersei and Jaime were boning, just waiting for Theon or someone else to walk up with a single candle and light it.

Obviously the second. The directing made it seem like Theon was going to do the right thing, go to the broken tower and light a candle for Sansa as a signal to her "friends," but, nope, he buckled under the psychological weight of dealing with Ramsay and went straight to him like a battered dog.

holy crap the hype is real

also can you imagine the excitement and hype surrounding a final half-season focusing exclusively on the white walker invasion? HBO would be stupid not to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom