• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

In fairness do you really need a full or even half a season to show dragons blowing fire on others and people being killed in the cold? They will probably do that for episode 9 of season 7 "Winter Has Come".

When does that OSN thing normally leak the behind the episode?

I believe the last two times were on Saturday.

Speevy

Banned
The fact is that humans vs. humans is always a more interesting television storyline than humans vs. the supernatural. That's why there are so many examples of supernatural beings who are like humans.

They probably want to go as long as possible before doing the "Every single person in this show survive against whitewalkers." storyline.

Patriots7

Speaking of Ramsay, is anyone else disappointed we don't get the horrible Lady Hornwood marriage he went through first? While we know he's a murderer of women already, it says a lot of his character (and a reflection of his father's) that he would marry someone just to starve them to death.

I'd say they could do it to Sansa, but I find it unbelievable he would....maybe...
I'm pretty disappointed with everything they've done with the North and by that I mean how they've completely ignored it.
Lady Dustin would have been great with Sansa/Reek as well.

Lack of Tyrells is still dumb as well. I can get Victarion being boring, but Damphair is truth.

I just want TWOW. :(

I'm pretty disappointed with everything they've done with the North and by that I mean how they've completely ignored it.
Lady Dustin would have been great with Sansa/Reek as well.

Lack of Tyrells is still dumb as well. I can get Victarion being boring, but Damphair is truth.

I just want TWOW. :(

I found Victarion a lot more fun than Damphair

Sam doesn't need to complete his maester training, he just needs to find out about whatever conspiracy stuff is happening and how it fits into the world. The end goal isn't seeing Sam tend wounds and feed ravens on the wall.

They have plenty of time. TV shows can get a lot done in an hour. There will be 20+ hours of the series left, that is 8 movies.

I'm sort of surprised we are getting Euron, I thought that whole thing would be cut. Hopefully they streamline and there is no lengthy kings moot.

If this all comes to pass the only major plot that will be completely cut is FAegon.

Maybe. Unless the watch is going away after the War or Winter, he kind of does need to tend the sick and feed ravens. They need a maester. I will admit that only this week after reading this thread did I understand the theory/idea that the faceless men are hanging out in the Citadel and working some angle. I mean I understood who killed Pate but for some reason I didn't think further about how no one likely asked for this useless scribe to be offed and that they were up to something. It's really interesting.

So I've been under the impression that even if Sam figured out some main clue to help everyone, he would still train and be a Maester before the ending...which doesn't make much sense in hindsight.

Just give me a Little Finger show. I don't care if its just him reciting monologues, he is the GOAT. Well I should say Aiden Gillen is honestly GOAT.

I like your story, which means something totally different will happen.

One other thing. It doesn't have to be a blood sacrifice per sè. Could just be that his daughters death at Bolton hands drives an enraged Stannis to victory, and leave you to wonder if R'hllor WAS in fact the reason Stannis won. Could have Ramsay do it, survive the battle, but have him go back to Winterfell in defeat. Roose is pissed, puts Ramsay in a super weakened position at home, etc.

Iksenpets

Banned
Speaking of Ramsay, is anyone else disappointed we don't get the horrible Lady Hornwood marriage he went through first? While we know he's a murderer of women already, it says a lot of his character (and a reflection of his father's) that he would marry someone just to starve them to death.

I'd say they could do it to Sansa, but I find it unbelievable he would....maybe...

We can't kill Shireen until Jon gets stabbed!

Man, this is a shitty season for women, isn't it? I almost feel bad for those women who started watching the show because of all the powerful women.

Now they see the women raped, attempted rape, arrested, beaten, killed, dragged down from power, refused, etc.

I was thinking during that scene where Ramsay talks about flaying Lord Cerwyn, they should have rewritten it to be about the Hornwoods, just as a little book shoutout.

Speevy

Banned
One other thing. It doesn't have to be a blood sacrifice per sè. Could just be that his daughters death at Bolton hands drives an enraged Stannis to victory, and leave you to wonder if R'hllor WAS in fact the reason Stannis won. Could have Ramsay do it, survive the battle, but have him go back to Winterfell in defeat. Roose is pissed, puts Ramsay in a super weakened position at home, etc.

That's a great idea. They have to give Ramsay some sort of setback. He's like an invincible warrior. No one has even scratched this guy outside a bedroom.

Another question: Why does Melisandre have to kill anyone to bring Jon back? Thoros of Myr brought back Beric Dondarrion without killing anyone.

The priestess is not Ashara Dayne or Septa Lemore, the casting call says in her 20's, and no way is Ashare or Lemore in their 20s when the show has aged everyone up.

I think the priestess is going to be another red priestess, probably a Quaithe/Moqorro merge.

bengraven

I was thinking during that scene where Ramsay talks about flaying Lord Cerwyn, they should have rewritten it to be about the Hornwoods, just as a little book shoutout.

I would be okay with this. And then Ramsay can be like "speaking of which, did you know this is my second marriage? I'm sorry, we didn't send out invites for the first..."

Sounds like we're getting Victaeeuron

I just want a buff second in command that Euron constantly refers to as "brother", even if he has no lines.

Valhelm

contribute something
The priestess is not Ashara Dayne or Septa Lemore, the casting call says in her 20's, and no way is Ashare or Lemore in their 20s when the show has aged everyone up.

I think the priestess is going to be another red priestess, probably a Quaithe/Moqorro merge.

I'm guessing an aged-down, sexed-up Galazza Galare.

-griffy-

Banned
Someone just posted in the No Book thread that episode 10 is titled
"Winter."
Can't find any news confirming that though so not sure where it came from.

-griffy-

Banned
They couldn't just call it For the Watch.

If it's really titled
"Winter" than that has some pretty big White Walkery connotations, I'd think
? Which might be bigger than just Jon getting stabbed and override title duty.

it's on HBO asia's website

http://hboasia.com/HBO/en-sg/shows/game-of-thrones/season5/episode9/

I could swear 10 showed there as well but I don't see the title.

If you replace 9 with 10 in the URL it gives you the page, but there's no title. Maybe they caught it and pulled it?

I think if episode nine is a play on ADWD (The Dance of Dragons), episode ten should be a play on AFFC (The Feast for Crows or something). Would still tie into the NW angle (crows).

For the Watch is good too though.
Winter
is kind of lame.

-griffy-

Banned
I think if episode nine is a play on ADWD (The Dance of Dragons), episode ten should be a play on AFFC (The Feast for Crows or something). Would still tie into the NW angle (crows).

For the Watch is good too though.
Winter
is kind of lame.

They've been teasing
"Winter is coming" since episode 1, calling the ep "Winter" is a pretty big, definitive statement of "Shit is getting real."

Szeth

That title is from imdb which we know is not a reliable source so I wouldn't believe that until we get a confirmation from HBO. It is weird we don't have a title yet, episode 8 is about to air for crying out loud. I don't think it has ever taken this long.

Jetman

I was really drawn into the Oldtown story, but part of the interest for me in the books was thinking that it was the Faceless Men (arguably Jaquen H'gar) acting in Oldtown, but the fact that the show has him placed an ocean away and has made him a regular character makes me less interested.

I honestly don't think Arya's trainer is Jaquen H'Gar. In the books or in the show. The old man who answered the Houses door when Arya knocked, it's still him with Jaquen's old face from Season 2 imo. And in the books, I never got the impression it was anyone but a kindly old Faceless Man.....unless he justs plays The Game that well..,

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there a site that lists the book-show differences on each ep?

Speevy

Banned
Is there a site that lists the book-show differences on each ep?

Season 5

-Sansa is not in Winterfell.
-Northerners exist.
-Greyjoys exist.
-Tommen is 6.
-Littlefinger is not angling to be warden of the north.
-Loras is not being imprisoned for gay sex.
-Margaery is not imprisoned for lying, but for adultery.
-Cersei is not imprisoned just for Lancel.
-Mace Tyrell isn't sent to Braavos
-Meryn Trant isn't sent to Braavos.
-Varys remains in King's Landing.
-Mance Rayder is only fake dead.
-Pyp and Grenn are still alive.
-Arianne Martell exists.
-The sand snakes aren't sexy power rangers.
-Barristan Selmy is alive.
-Jaime and Bronn do not go to Dorne.
-Ramsay Bolton isn't an invincible super villain who kills everyone everywhere.
-Valyria is in a different place and not just a bunch of broken columns.
-Jorah does not have greyscale.
-Jorah does not fight in the pits of Meereen.
-Meereen is under siege.
-Olenna Tyrell doesn't threaten to kill everyone in King's Landing to get her granddaughter out of jail.
-Melisandre doesn't suggest sacrificing Shireen.
-Melisandre and Shireen aren't camped with Stannis.
-Stannis' fate is uncertain in the books while it seems like they're going to make it certain in the show.
-Jon's wolf doesn't growl at men who are about to rape Gilly.
-I'm pretty sure Aemon Targaryen doesn't die in a bed.
-Olly does not exist nor does he get Jon the sword for executing Janos Slynt.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know I just realized something about the High Sparrow's rise that makes no sense and now bugs me. If you remember correctly in the show the Sparrows attack the current High Septon, strip naked, and make him do the walk of shame. Afterwards, Cercei actually removes him from power. Now, originally that all just swept by me but now that I think about it those scenes make absolutely no sense. First, the High Sparrow may be a more fundamentalist fanatic but I highly doubt that he would attack or allow for the attacking of the current High Septon. We're talking about a guy who in his words is the voice through which the Gods speak, assaulting him is thus assaulting the Gods no matter what alleged crimes he is believed to have committed. Afterall, to do so would be to suggest that the Gods were incorrect in choosing him as their voice.

Second, Cercei with a simple gesture removed the High Septon from office. Um, again the High Septon/the Faith is not controlled by the Crown he is essentially the Pope. Now, we know that the in the past the crown has had certain influence over the High Septon suggesting who next should be picked but they can't just outright remove a High Septon. Remember, Baelor made like a 7 year old boy the High Septon and even then the crown didn't just remove him by some royal decree instead very likely poisoning the child to remove him. Afterall, if the HS can be removed so easily then why doesn't Tommen just draft a decree right now removing him from office? Now I understand why pure show watchers are confused about the rise of the Faith Militant and the power they hold.

Speevy

Banned
The high septon is different from the high sparrow in the show.

The high septon was a "religious leader" in the largely secularized Lannister hierarchy. He stays out of everyone's way, does whatever the Lannisters want, and is himself a corrupt individual who does not practice his own faith. He also doesn't have an army to defend him. He's a puppet.

The high sparrow on the other hand was given military powers and ultimate authority over the government, presumably by royal decree. Even Cersei herself calls it a royal decree that gives them the ability to touch the untouchable.

Now, visually it makes no sense. The sparrows aren't imposing at all, but the fact that religious fanatics were allowed to take control of the government has happened in history.

Also, the high sparrow believes all acts done in service of delivering the gods' justice are righteous, which is a typical form of religious hypocrisy (i.e. the crusades).

You know I just realized something about the High Sparrow's rise that makes no sense and now bugs me. If you remember correctly in the show the Sparrows attack the current High Septon, strip naked, and make him do the walk of shame. Afterwards, Cercei actually removes him from power. Now, originally that all just swept by me but now that I think about it those scenes make absolutely no sense. First, the High Sparrow may be a more fundamentalist fanatic but I highly doubt that he would attack or allow for the attacking of the current High Septon. We're talking about a guy who in his words is the voice through which the Gods speak, assaulting him is thus assaulting the Gods no matter what alleged crimes he is believed to have committed. Afterall, to do so would be to suggest that the Gods were incorrect in choosing him as their voice.

Second, Cercei with a simple gesture removed the High Septon from office. Um, again the High Septon/the Faith is not controlled by the Crown he is essentially the Pope. Now, we know that the in the past the crown has had certain influence over the High Septon suggesting who next should be picked but they can't just outright remove a High Septon. Remember, Baelor made like a 7 year old boy the High Septon and even then the crown didn't just remove him by some royal decree instead very likely poisoning the child to remove him. Afterall, if the HS can be removed so easily then why doesn't Tommen just draft a decree right now removing him from office? Now I understand why pure show watchers are confused about the rise of the Faith Militant and the power they hold.

The Pope comparison isn't particularly apt, the current High Septons are nowhere near that powerful. Though even Papal elections were highly influenced by monarchs and emperors. The show simplifying the High Septon's selection process isn't that big of a deal. I don't see anything out of character for a fanatic to sanction the removal of a corrupt and false religious official.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The Pope comparison isn't particularly apt, the current High Septons are nowhere near that powerful. Though even Papal elections were highly influenced by monarchs and emperors. The show simplifying the High Septon's selection process isn't that big of a deal. I don't see anything out of character for a fanatic to sanction the removal of a corrupt and false religious official.

The books or the show? In the books GRRM makes it clear the the HS is a parallel to the Pople and the Seven is basically Catholicism.

Speevy

Banned
The books or the show? In the books GRRM makes it clear the the HS is a parallel to the Pople and the Seven is basically Catholicism.

I think you have to follow the show's chain of logic for this to work.

Tommen is a kind boy king who wants to do the right thing - Tywin tells him that the right thing is listening to advisers - The advisers he has are his mother and wife, and Margaery isn't interested in political affairs - Cersei proposes that they empower the faith to clean up the corruption infesting King's Landing, he trusts her because he lacks the understanding of how this is a terrible idea, and lacks the will to make such drastic decisions himself - these plans imprison people he cares about - he feels like the people will lash out at him if he goes around butchering people like his brother did, so he does nothing - here we are.

I really think this is a fair explanation of what the show runners are thinking.

Iksenpets

Banned

And I think there's a pretty direct parallel between the High Sparrow and puritanical Protestantism, so their disrespect for a Pope-like figure would make some sense in that regard.

Also, I was trying to remember who all was on the first set of casting leaks for season 5, and who was the most major new character not to appear in them. I'm curious since that may give us a good sense of what the biggest possible role not included on this new list could be. So far, I think the slave trader is the biggest role I can remember who wasn't on the first leak, and he's only a two episode part.

Both. The Faith of the Seven is similar to Catholicism in many ways, but it's not a 1:1 copy. The High Septon post-Maegor the Cruel is no medieval Papacy. Tyrion selects the previous High Septon with no real challenges.

Speevy

Banned
More than just Cersei getting her comeuppance, I think the scene this week was to show that the scariest thing about the High Sparrow is that he really does believe what he says.

You see his face change from pure joy and enlightenment to a ghoulish stare of nightmares.

Season 5

-Jorah does not have greyscale.

I don't mind that they've given this plot-point to Jorah when they cancelled Griff, but it annoys me that Jorah doesn't wear gloves when he has a disease that is apparently spread by a single touch. How has he not incidentally touched Tyrion this whole time? Also, you'd think he'd move that leather wrist band to the other arm just to cover up the greyscale. Just nitpicks, but easily solvable.

Valhelm

contribute something

He's inspired by the Pope, but politically he's much more like the Patriarch of Constantinople.

Until the early modern period, various bulls asserted that the pope was theoretically the superior of every lay monarch. Church holdings were traditionally administered completely independently of the kingdoms they were in, and the middle chunk of Italy was directly controlled by the curia (or various republican governments under the curia's gaze) for centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom