• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they're doing Hardhome as the battle for this season makes me hopeful that Stannis' fate won't be revealed. The books left off in such an interesting place that I'd rather not have that particular outcome spoiled. That's the #1 storyline I'm looking forward to the most in Winds.

It will be spoiled by season 6, though, which will come out before TWOW.

Sean C

And yeah, Brienne is no longer our Riverlands protagonist. I think maybe Jaime will end up there, trying to find out where she went. I think it's possible that Jaime is ultimately the more important character to the Riverlands plot in the book, and so it may only really matter that he be there.
Personally, I have a hard time figuring how Jaime goes back to the Riverlands, the way things are set up.

The Dornish plot looks set to resolve with Jaime and Doran coming to terms (seemingly), and Doran sending Myrcella home to visit in KL with a Dornish goodwill delegation (who will actually be Doran's agents; or possibly Doran himself will go, otherwise I don't see how we'd see much more of him). Meaning that Jaime will arrive back in King's Landing right in the middle of the shitstorm, and even if he leaves Cersei behind, it would also mean abandoning Tommen and Myrcella very directly.

Iksenpets

Banned
No Damphair? No other Northern lords being cast?

But we're getting the full Tarly clan!

*sigh*

As of season 6, there will be more Tarlys on the show than Greyjoys. This is the first thing I think may be a real Winds spoiler. Sam's family is going to be important.

Personally, I have a hard time figuring how Jaime goes back to the Riverlands, the way things are set up.

The Dornish plot looks set to resolve with Jaime and Doran coming to terms (seemingly), and Doran sending Myrcella home to visit in KL with a Dornish goodwill delegation (who will actually be Doran's agents; or possibly Doran himself will go, otherwise I don't see how we'd see much more of him). Meaning that Jaime will arrive back in King's Landing right in the middle of the shitstorm, and even if he leaves Cersei behind, it would also mean abandoning Tommen and Myrcella very directly.

Mostly, I'm still not convinced that things will end so peacefully in Dorne. I think it's possible Myrcella ends up dying, and we get depressed Jaime trying to find Brienne as the one decent thing left in his life.

Sean C

Mostly, I'm still not convinced that things will end so peacefully in Dorne. I think it's possible Myrcella ends up dying, and we get depressed Jaime trying to find Brienne as the one decent thing left in his life.
I really can't see that, because that would completely abort any role for the Dornish characters in KL, and if you do that, well....why were they introduced?

Plus, Myrcella is pretty obviously going to die in Cersei's company in the books, and I really can't imagine the writers changing that.

I think the North was the big problem area. No way Stannis and Bolton just sit in their respective castles for five years. Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that the North ends up having the best plot, since it's the location that was really meant to have plot ongoing at this point in time.

I almost wish he had just left the characters for whom the gap really worked out of the book, and just reintroduced them in Winds to kind of approximate the gap. People would've cried bloody murder about no Arya, but man that Mercy scene would've been great if it had gotten to play its originally intended role of being our first reintroduction to Arya.

Not just Stannis and the Boltons, there's the Wildings,the Others, etc. Considering the timeline, there would have been 2 WW Sightings in 2 years, followed by next to nothing for 5(Unless Martin's prologue involved a Night Watch member fighting an Other/The war vs the Others becoming the new Status Quo.

The issue was that aSoS felt like the end of an act for 90% of the storylines as you said, but the Stannis situation impacts The North, The Wall, King's Landing, etc, all that needed the plot to be going on during the 5 years or seem off.

Iksenpets

Banned
Wait? Greyjoys? Did I actually miss some new information today?!

Who's made the cut?

Euron only, from the look of it. Randyll Tarly is also in, along with Sam's mom, brother and sister. A Septon Meribald like character is in. And some sort of weirwood flashbacks are in for Bran, with actors who appear to be young versions of Ned and his brothers.

S6 speculation based on casting news and sample TWOW chapters:
I've thought for a while that it makes sense for the show to just have Asha/Yara go down Victarion's path, since there's no good way to have her intersect with Theon's business at Winterfell at this point or become a captive in Stannis's camp.

bengraven

You forgot Rickon. My dream was to see Rickon riding in on a fucking unicorn, trained by the cannibals as a badass warrior.

And the show is going 8 seasons. Count on it.

And Shaggy Dog as a monstrous black shadow at his side.

Sorry this took me right out your fanfic. Everyone know George is a lecherous pervy old man. He would have no complaints about the sexy sand snakes.

That's why I added the part with the melons. And because it's so true.

Someone said this to me at work, and they are idiots if they think that fucking Ramsay is hanging out in a wind blown tower all day, the same tower we saw a glimpse of in Episode 1 when Cersei and Jaime were boning, just waiting for Theon or someone else to walk up with a single candle and light it.

Obviously the second. The directing made it seem like Theon was going to do the right thing, go to the broken tower and light a candle for Sansa as a signal to her "friends," but, nope, he buckled under the psychological weight of dealing with Ramsay and went straight to him like a battered dog.

I was thinking "maybe he fixed it up a bit".

Euron only, from the look of it. Randyll Tarly is also in, along with Sam's mom, brother and sister. A Septon Meribald like character is in. And some sort of weirwood flashbacks are in for Bran, with actors who appear to be young versions of Ned and his brothers.

Lot of importance being given to Sam huh

Sean C

S6 speculation based on casting news and sample TWOW chapters:
I've thought for a while that it makes sense for the show to just have Asha/Yara go down Victarion's path, since there's no good way to have her intersect with Theon's business at Winterfell at this point or become a captive in Stannis's camp.
The show really doesn't need a Victarion, from how things have been set up. Dany has ships already (indeed, exactly the same number that Victarion had).

He is the prince that was promised.

I'm glad there was never a 'legend' about a Black Brother yet to come or anything but with our suspicion that Jon won't be in the Watch after his revival, I'm going to be pissed if there isn't some acknowledge (if only within the watch) that Sam is the fucking Man. Slaying White Walkers, Thenns and Wildling woman is just Tuesday to Sam the Slayer.

Iksenpets

Banned
It doesn't need his fleet, but it probably needs someone to pick up Moqorro.

I don't think Moqorro is making the cut. They seem to be spreading that stuff out among several nameless Red Priest characters, with the priestess in Volantis and them apparently casting another one for next season.

Yara's a mystery at this point though. It's too late to send her East, and getting pretty close to too late to hook her up with Stannis. I guess she's just going to be on a show-original plot where she can provide a foil to Euron? Maybe it would make sense if we knew her Winds plot. GRRM should give us an Asha chapter to celebrate the Greyjoys finally making it in.

bengraven

It IS interesting that they keep coming back to the Red God, despite the fact that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere and it almost seems like they've forgotten "Him" until boom, priestess in Essos.

I think Yara being Victarion is interesting, but I think we can predict what's going to happen there. WE'RE GETTING THE SEAL.

- Euron marries Yara (seal) while she's away
- becomes King by marriage
- Yara realizes she better try and get Theon again and starts getting her bite-proof armor.

I'm glad there was never a 'legend' about a Black Brother yet to come or anything but with our suspicion that Jon won't be in the Watch after his revival, I'm going to be pissed if there isn't some acknowledge (if only within the watch) that Sam is the fucking Man. Slaying White Walkers, Thenns and Wildling woman is just Tuesday to Sam the Slayer.

The way this show is going with Sansa, I'm shocked Sam actually got back up. If he had the same plot armor as her, he'd be crying and whining on the floor while every brother of the watch took turns on his love.

I guess our character development is much slower now. Sam stands up, Sansa talks back...by Season 7 Sam will be throwing punches and Sansa knifing minor characters.

Iksenpets

Banned
It IS interesting that they keep coming back to the Red God, despite the fact that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere and it almost seems like they've forgotten "Him" until boom, priestess in Essos.

I think Yara being Victarion is interesting, but I think we can predict what's going to happen there. WE'RE GETTING THE SEAL.

- Yara realizes she better try and get Theon again and starts getting her bite-proof armor.

The way this show is going with Sansa, I'm shocked Sam actually got back up. If he had the same plot armor as her, he'd be crying and whining on the floor while every brother of the watch took turns on his love.

I guess our character development is much slower now. Sam stands up, Sansa talks back...by Season 7 Sam will be throwing punches and Sansa knifing minor characters.

I forgot about the seal! I just remembered that I once had a really stupid theory that after he won the battle, Stannis would send Asha to take back the islands, and give her a company of wildlings to help her. One of the wildlings would be a seal warg and she'd use him to assassinate her "husband" with her own seal stand-in.

I want to see Sam with a pointer and a White Walker chart telling other people where to hit them. I wonder who will be the Commander then? I always smile when I see that Jon was the 999th commander of the Night's watch (998th?) because the trope would be to Make Jon the 1000th. I still think the 1000th commander will have significance but I can't see it being Allistor. It really shouldn't be Sam either so I wonder how that works. There's a chance the Watch won't be needed any longer (I can see the wall coming down) so who knows.

Kain

We've talked about the casting news but new characters usually mean old characters are getting the axe, so... who is going to die this season?

I have read here that on episode... 9 it was?

Tormund is probably going to die

So who else?

We already have Mance, Barristan and Aemon dead. Next is the Mannis? Jorah? Ramsay?

Ah, Jon doesn't count.

Speevy

Banned
Stannis is definitely getting the axe, but why couldn't they kill Ramsay too? PLEEEEAAASE.

Oh, and the sand snakes. All of them. In a fire.

Speevy

Banned
Question: Did the actual music to A Song of Ice and Fire folk music exist before the show? Like the songs The Bear and the Maiden Fair, The Rains of Castamere, the Dornishman's Wife. Did someone write that after reading it in the books or was it written during the time of the show?

bengraven

I forgot about the seal! I just remembered that I once had a really stupid theory that after he won the battle, Stannis would send Asha to take back the islands, and give her a company of wildlings to help her. One of the wildlings would be a seal warg and she'd use him to assassinate her "husband" with her own seal stand-in.

J0nR0iz.gif

Would watch.

I want to see Sam with a pointer and a White Walker chart telling other people where to hit them. I wonder who will be the Commander then? I always smile when I see that Jon was the 999th commander of the Night's watch (998th?) because the trope would be to Make Jon the 1000th. I still think the 1000th commander will have significance but I can't see it being Allistor. It really shouldn't be Sam either so I wonder how that works. There's a chance the Watch won't be needed any longer (I can see the wall coming down) so who knows.

John is 998. Honestly? I think George is a sick sick (but funny) man and would easily destroy the Night's Watch forever without us ever getting to 1000. Alliser becomes 999 then it's gone forever. Just ONE away from 1000, obsessive compulsive people, and nope. It's gone.

Question: Did the actual music to A Song of Ice and Fire folk music exist before the show? Like the songs The Bear and the Maiden Fair, The Rains of Castamere, the Dornishman's Wife. Did someone write that after reading it in the books or was it written during the time of the show?

He wrote some of the lyrics to at least Castamere and Bear and Maiden Fair.

I think the Dornishman's Wife, like the missing pages of the Lusty Argonian Maid, is a joke because of how ribald it's supposed to be?

Iksenpets

Banned
We've talked about the casting news but new characters usually mean old characters are getting the axe, so... who is going to die this season?

So who else?

We already have Mance, Barristan and Aemon dead. Next is the Mannis? Jorah? Ramsay?

Ah, Jon doesn't count.

The Dorne stuff gets merged into King Landing. I doubt we go back to Dorne for a while. Whatever happens in the North, I think there will be less of it next season. Either Stannis wins, in which case he marches South, or he loses, in which case there will be a ton of deaths to thin it out.

John is 998. Honestly? I think George is a sick sick (but funny) man and would easily destroy the Night's Watch forever without us ever getting to 1000. Alliser becomes 999 then it's gone forever. Just ONE away from 1000, obsessive compulsive people, and nope. It's gone.

Damn I hope so, it's a great way to screw with the trope.

Euron

So who else?

Ah, Jon doesn't count.
Since Euron and Randyll are coming next season, Roose and Ramsay might both get killed off this season to make room for two new villains (and Walder Frey). Maybe Stannis and Shireen? Bronn? Greyworm? (please) Loras?

But they probably won't end up having the full Battle of Winterfell this season. Maybe Ramsay will get killed off and possibly Shireen but the full battle won't happen until season 6.

They better cast me in Season 6 else they'll pay the iron, bronze, gold or whatever the fuckin price is.
You're no use to me now that Daenerys has ships.
I need you to kill the Sand Snakes for me.

Jon Snow is the 998th. So he can still die, have someone else take over as 999th, then have that person die and have Jon come back to life as 1000th!

bengraven

I'm not sure she'd agree to what I'd want her for.

She has the antidote I need. And not around her neck. And I'm not poisoned.

I'm talking about sex here.

Oh shit.

I'd honestly accepted Euron = Daario as being true.

Still think they're at least affiliated in the books.

"The books are the books and the show is the show" - GRRM

Wait, Euron and Tarly are in? What, what, what

Do not question for today is a good day my friend.

bengraven

Speaking of Ramsay, is anyone else disappointed we don't get the horrible Lady Hornwood marriage he went through first? While we know he's a murderer of women already, it says a lot of his character (and a reflection of his father's) that he would marry someone just to starve them to death.

I'd say they could do it to Sansa, but I find it unbelievable he would....maybe...

Ramsay kills her and unwittingly does it for Stannis and enables his victory.

We can't kill Shireen until Jon gets stabbed!

Man, this is a shitty season for women, isn't it? I almost feel bad for those women who started watching the show because of all the powerful women.

Now they see the women raped, attempted rape, arrested, beaten, killed, dragged down from power, refused, etc.

bengraven

What if they made the fans choose: Stannis or Shireen?

Kill a cute girl so Ramsay can be taken out and Mannis survives...

Or kill Stannis, Ramsay survives, but the adorable girl gets to live.

Serious question: Does a blood sacrifice work if it happens by accident?

I think you need the mumbo jumbo words and arcane set up. Plus Mel has to be there.

I think if you wanted to go with fantasy concepts, I think Mel is just a magic-user, she doesn't really have the ear of a god. So she has to perform the magics, there's no deity doing it for her.

Serious question: Does a blood sacrifice work if it happens by accident?

...I'm going to say yes. I feel like just blood is needed and the intent doesn't matter. I'm now trying to think of media where blood accidentally get on or into something that breaks a seal. I can only think of Blood Lock and the first Underworld

bengraven

...I'm going to say yes. I feel like just blood is needed and the intent doesn't matter. I'm now trying to think of media where blood accidentally get on or into something that breaks a seal. I can only think of Blood Lock and the first Underworld

But the magic would have to be at least 'started' or "cooked". And if you took too long, the spell would end...right...or am I thinking too many complications.

Speevy

Banned
Ramsay's heading back to Winterfell and he's like "Oh shit, the weather just let up. Oh shit, there's the Greyjoys. Oh shit, there's the northern lords. Oh shit, everyone just got the plague. Am I high right now?"

Faddy

Banned
I'm getting confused about what people are joking about and not joking about...

Are those parts about Randyll true?

As far as Oldtown: I thought it was kind of cool in the books and a proper story for Samwell but I always thought it was coming in late in the story. I mean Sam just started or is early in his Maester training or at least we haven't seen the specifics of it, which is fine.

Going on the idea that the show will be 7 season, how the hell do you do that in Two season with the last season being wrap up. It feels WAY too late to send Sam there and have it mean anything. I know the timeline of the show gets moved and rushed but can you really send off Sam at the end of this season and have him back or have him be a maester withing two seasons?

Sam doesn't need to complete his maester training, he just needs to find out about whatever conspiracy stuff is happening and how it fits into the world. The end goal isn't seeing Sam tend wounds and feed ravens on the wall.

They have plenty of time. TV shows can get a lot done in an hour. There will be 20+ hours of the series left, that is 8 movies.

I'm sort of surprised we are getting Euron, I thought that whole thing would be cut. Hopefully they streamline and there is no lengthy kings moot.

If this all comes to pass the only major plot that will be completely cut is FAegon.

bengraven

Ramsay's heading back to Winterfell and he's like "Oh shit, the weather just let up. Oh shit, there's the Greyjoys. Oh shit, there's the northern lords. Oh shit, everyone just got the plague. Am I high right now?"

"Haha, we're okay, we won't run out of books and if we do, we'll just make shit up!" - D and D circa 2013.

"Fuck, I got NOTHIN' - throw in everything" D and D circa 2015.

Oh, man.

I even have a feeling there may be some book stuff we have no idea of among those casting news.

I'm excited.

The priestess and mixed race warrior have me interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom