• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I don't mind that they've given this plot-point to Jorah when they cancelled Griff, but it annoys me that Jorah doesn't wear gloves when he has a disease that is apparently spread by a single touch. How has he not incidentally touched Tyrion this whole time? Also, you'd think he'd move that leather wrist band to the other arm just to cover up the greyscale. Just nitpicks, but easily solvable.

yeah but just as easily hand-waved away, as with most nits.

I don't mind that they've given this plot-point to Jorah when they cancelled Griff, but it annoys me that Jorah doesn't wear gloves when he has a disease that is apparently spread by a single touch. How has he not incidentally touched Tyrion this whole time? Also, you'd think he'd move that leather wrist band to the other arm just to cover up the greyscale. Just nitpicks, but easily solvable.

He's been a captured slave. Where is he going to get the gloves? If he shows anyone the disease mark they'll kill him.

yeah but just as easily hand-waved away, as with most nits.
And I do, but it's one more little thing that nags me about this season.

He's been a captured slave. Where is he going to get the gloves? If he shows anyone the disease mark they'll kill him.
He could have had the gloves before he got greyscale. And I'm saying he's making no effort to hide the mark at all, beyond pulling his sleeve down (when he's not pushing it up and looking at the scar).

Again, it's just an annoyance, like having to turn off every light in the house to see anything in certain scenes.

He could have had the gloves before he got greyscale. And I'm saying he's making no effort to hide the mark at all, beyond pulling his sleeve down (when he's not pushing it up and looking at the scar).

Again, it's just an annoyance, like having to turn off every light in the house to see anything in certain scenes.

Why would he have any reason to suspect he would get greyscale? He snatched Tyrion on a spur of the moment action and then fled, it wasn't some elaborate plan. He's done pretty much all he could do to hide the mark. You're really reaching here.

Why would he have any reason to suspect he would get greyscale? He snatched Tyrion on a spur of the moment action and then fled, it wasn't some elaborate plan. He's done pretty much all he could do to hide the mark. You're really reaching here.
I've admitted from the start it's a tiny issue. Wearing gloves shouldn't be unusual in that world; there's no reason Jorah couldn't have had a pair of gloves before. And I'm betting that the greyscale reveal will be clumsy and unsubtle and related to him not making a good enough effort to hide it.

Speevy

Banned
I think they're just gonna have him straight up give it to all of Dany's men.

She'll be like "Okay I forgive you Jorah. You did so good in the fighting pits, but now I have to see about this greyscale outbreak that's taken over the city."

Jorah: "Khaleesi...about that..."

Oops, yeah duh. I think I meant to type that he didn't travel through Valyria and meet the stone men.

But he did. Are you confusing the Rhoyne with Valyria? They only go through Valyria in the show.

valyria isn't really in a different location either is it?
I believe they mentioned something about changing the geography of it, but it's still in the same general location. They traveled east from Volantis through Valyria, it checks out.

Ikael

So the names of the last two episodes have been revealed:

Episode 9:
The Dance of Dragons
Episode 10:
Winter

The last chapter's name make me even more mad at the producer's decision [S6 casting spoilers]
to cram the cutted plotlines and characters into the next season (Ironborn, Rhoyne boat trip) rather than advancing the story towards its goddamned climaxes (White Walkers invasion, Danerys landing)
. For crap's shake, the show and the books needs to make any of their one bajillion plots to pay off, it was already bad enough to see none of the ice & fire plots climax in ADWD (no battle of Meeren + no Winter battle). This saga is going to die due to an acute case of of blue narrative balls.

Ratrat

Kind of weird to make Hardhome a large scale battle set when there will only be two recognizable faces.

edit: Is Edd in the show? I don't even remember.

Episode 9:
The Dance of Dragons
Episode 10:
Winter

The last chapter's name make me even more mad at the producer's decision [S6 casting spoilers]
to cram the cutted plotlines and characters into the next season (Ironborn, Rhoyne boat trip) rather than advancing the story towards its goddamned climaxes (White Walkers invasion, Danerys landing)
. For crap's shake, the show and the books needs to make any of their one bajillion plots to pay off, it was already bad enough to see none of the ice & fire plots climax in ADWD (no battle of Meeren + no Winter battle). This saga is going to die due to an acute case of of blue narrative balls.
S6 Casting
You're probably jumping the gun on the Rhoyne boat trip making it in.

Kind of weird to make Hardhome a large scale battle set when there will only be two recognizable faces.

edit: Is Edd in the show? I don't even remember.

Edd is in. He's just not very much like his book character.

Ratrat

Episode 9:
The Dance of Dragons
Episode 10:
Winter

My guess is season 6 will be half the remnants of Feast/Dance left and half WoW. WoW is expected to contain SoS level of events that would be hard to cram into one season on their budget....or that's my hope at least.
S6 Casting
Edd is in. He's just not very much like his book character.
That's a shame!

CassSept

Episode 9:
The Dance of Dragons
Episode 10:
Winter

Ooooh, if that episode 10 title is true... ooooooh.

There are still some hanging threads but for the most part we should be through or nearly through with AFFC/ADWD after season 5, no?

Ikael

My guess is season 6 will be half the remnants of Feast/Dance left and half WoW. WoW is expected to contain SoS level of events that would be hard to cram into one season on their budget....or that's my hope at least.

Well, that seems like a reasonable guess :) and yepe, I expect WoW to be packed with climaxes, Storm of Swords style too!

Still, I hate the decision to merge the Remmants of Feast / Dance into the next season rather than cutting them altogether. Fuck that bullshit, these books were in dire need of fat-trimming. Would it depend of me, I would have made Daenerys skip Meeren altogether and just move on.

Also, regarding this season's last episode's name:

it would be utterly, frigging stupid to make winter come at last at the end of this season, with the treath of the White Walkers finally materializing, only to shift focus into a forgotten, wholly uninteresting faction (Greyjoys) in the next, just because the showrunners are running out of plot. Greyjoys are small potatoes next to Danerys and the white walkers, even moreso in the series than in the books.
It is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions and bored, cockblocked audiences, I fear.

Well, that seems like a reasonable guess :) and yepe, I expect WoW to be packed with climaxes, Storm of Swords style too!

Still, I hate the decision to merge the Remmants of Feast / Dance into the next season rather than cutting them altogether. Fuck that bullshit, these books were in dire need of fat-trimming. Would it depend of me, I would have made Daenerys skip Meeren altogether and just move on.

Also, regarding this season's last episode's name:

it would be utterly, frigging stupid to make winter come at last at the end of this season, with the treath of the White Walkers finally materializing, only to shift focus into a forgotten, wholly uninteresting faction (Greyjoys) in the next, just because the showrunners are running out of plot. Greyjoys are small potatoes next to Danerys and the white walkers, even moreso in the series than in the books.
It is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions and bored, cockblocked audiences, I fear.
Why do you think they would shift the focus instead of it just being another subplot? I doubt it has to do with them running out of plot.

Moff

well there are not so many remnants left to cover, it's basucally euron and that's it, and they may be able to weave that togeter with their WOW storyline. I hope it will be at least 90% new stuff.

munchie64

A Cast of Kings was good this week. It really felt that they were interested in the episode and I felt it, even though I disagreed a little. Funnily enough Dave and Joanna argued more about last weeks rape this episode then the last, proving my idea that Dave was holding back a little last week.

Game of Microphones was also interesting with an all female cast this week, which is a change of pace especially with things the way they are.

Chuckie

well there are not so many remnants left to cover, it's basucally euron and that's it, and they may be able to weave that togeter with their WOW storyline. I hope it will be at least 90% new stuff.

Victarion you mean right? He was the Greyjoy with all the chapters right?

Edit: Or did they already announce there will be no Victarion in the tv series?

Paganmoon

I want to see Sam with a pointer and a White Walker chart telling other people where to hit them. I wonder who will be the Commander then? I always smile when I see that Jon was the 999th commander of the Night's watch (998th?) because the trope would be to Make Jon the 1000th. I still think the 1000th commander will have significance but I can't see it being Allistor. It really shouldn't be Sam either so I wonder how that works. There's a chance the Watch won't be needed any longer (I can see the wall coming down) so who knows.

GRRM, subverting tropes, 2 numbers at a time...

So, John Oliver is on hiatus this week, GoT still on? Haven't really seen any info on it, and HBO Nordic isn't exactly the most informative streaming service out there.
Nevermind, I'm just confused.

Forkball

CGAQVcnVAAMA3y2.jpg

Ratrat

Sam and Gilly going to Oldtown, citadel, Randyll Tarly, Riverlands...not much, but even if the new season is 90% new material I can still see it covering less than the whole book.

Ikael

So regarding episode 9 and 10, what do you guys think that each will contain, now that we know their names? My bets:

Episode 9:
"Dance of the Dragons": Daznak's pit is so utterly, totally happening here. I can also envision Cersei's walk of shame as the great climax of her plot, and Ayra's first kill too. Perhaps we will finally see Daenerys fly towards Westeros, at last, long last.

Episode 10:
"Winter". I don't think that it is too much far fetched to assume that it will focus around the events at the wall. That is, Shireen's sacrifice and Jon's stabbing and consequent resurrection. I don't know what else they could focus into. Re-introduction of the ironborn? If they could trow yet another crazy-ass White Walker curveball a la last year's ice Mordor, I would be a happy camper :D

Why do you think they would shift the focus instead of it just being another subplot? I doubt it has to do with them running out of plot.

Because we're not talking about a running subplot, but rather about one that has been downright abbandoned, Bran-style. You would need to devote a fair amount of time in order to re-stablish it and make it intertwine with the main one.

And while Bran's plot will tie neatly with the greater Northern development (Other's invasion), tie-ing
the Ironborn subplot with Daenerys invasion
will be almost impossible without making it look like a deus ex machina, for it has been marginalized for far more time. Hell, non-book readers are already thinking that the rise of the militant Faith is kinda unexplainable and half-cooked.

What if Stannis refuses the sacifice of Shireen and he instead kills himself so that there can be royal blood to ensure victory at winterfell ? Naming his daughter the queen in the process

Forkball

CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

I'm curious to see what is in episode 10 this year. The walk, Mercy, and Daznak's Pit seem to be happening in episode 9. I guess episode 10 will focus on the northern and Wall storylines. Anyone think Jon will be stabbed in episode 9, and then revived in episode 10? Or will they do the whole death and revival thing in one episode?

Because we're not talking about a running subplot, but rather about one that has been downright abbandoned, Bran-style. You would need to devote a fair amount of time in order to re-stablish it and make it intertwine with the main one.

And while Bran's plot will tie neatly with the greater Northern development (Other's invasion), tie-ing
the Ironborn subplot with Daenerys invasion
will be almost impossible without making it look like a deus ex machina, for it has been marginalized for far more time. Hell, non-book readers are already thinking that the rise of the militant Faith is kinda unexplainable and half-cooked.

I agree that it will be difficult to do well, but I'm not sure that means D&D will devote a ton of time and focus to it.
It's more likely that will end up starved of the time needed and end up looking like a deus ex machina as you suggest it might.

Moff

since there are no riverlands and snow has already set in winterfell, I wonder if they will have snow in king's landing in episode 10.

My favorite is during the "Kill the boy" speech, Aemon says that Daenerys is alone, "under siege" in the show.

Which is hilarious, because the siege is definitely not happening on the show... Writers can't even keep their own changes straight, let alone avoid plot holes.

Dany

Banned
The cast is what eats the budget.

CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

I'm curious to see what is in episode 10 this year. The walk, Mercy, and Daznak's Pit seem to be happening in episode 9. I guess episode 10 will focus on the northern and Wall storylines. Anyone think Jon will be stabbed in episode 9, and then revived in episode 10? Or will they do the whole death and revival thing in one episode?

PERF

bengraven

CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

Well in fairness there's still a lot MORE going to happen before Tyrion and Dany meet. So this will be longer when Winds comes out.

Tuffty

A projection for a future scene concerning the show, which would be amazing, is that Stannis defeats the Boltons at Winterfell. Ramsay dies during the battle and Roose flees. Final scene of the series, Roose is through the forest to return to the Dreadfort when he's captured by the Brotherhood and Stoneheart and is hanged.

TCRS

Banned
just watched the episode. poorest poor sansa ;_; last week didn't even faze me as much as seeing her suffer today. just terrible.

otherwise good episode. I was hoping for clarke boobage but at least we got some nice boobage. and hey, direwolf! shame about master aemon dying.

the end was good and seeing lady olenna is always a pleasure. also margery looked way better in this episode than any other when she's all dolled up.

lol. at this point the show is so different I can't even tell if I'm being spoilered or not. I don't even care anymore.

Moff

I don't think the siege and tyrion are necessarily connected or replace each other.
everyone wanted the terrible tyrion plot to be shorter, it was adapted well and is certainly not a problem of this season.

and with only one season for dany I guess they had to choose between the siege or the harpy, I would not have minded to have the siege, too, but when I think of danys "learning to rule" plot in ADWD, the harpy as an enemy from witthin always came to my mind. I honestly even forgot about the siege so I can't really blame them for that decision either.

SteveWD40

A projection for a future scene concerning the show, which would be amazing, is that Stannis defeats the Boltons at Winterfell. Ramsay dies during the battle and Roose flees. Final scene of the series, Roose is through the forest to return to the Dreadfort when he's captured by the Brotherhood and Stoneheart and is hanged.

Not bad, way more impact than some Fray we haven't seen since S2/3.

I think they will leave SH though, they would need to show flashbacks on how she was rezzed etc..., just have Beric hang him, maybe throw in The Blackfish, who Roose was so concerned with...

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think the siege and tyrion are necessarily connected or replace each other.
everyone wanted the terrible tyrion plot to be shorter, it was adapted well and is certainly not a problem of this season.

and with only one season for dany I guess they had to choose between the siege or the harpy, I would not have minded to have the siege, too, but when I think of danys "learning to rule" plot in ADWD, the harpy as an enemy from witthin always came to my mind. I honestly even forgot about the siege so I can't really blame them for that decision either.

Can we blame them for killing off Barry, at least?

CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

I was sort of like "That happened."

lol.

A lot seems to be rushed now. I think they are pretty much planning on seven seasons at this point.

I think they have successfully cut some of the content that made Feast and Dance drag at times. They have also made some baffling decisions. The Jamie/Bronn story has been terrible. I see where they want to go with it but the execution has been poor.

Lothar

Banned

Best one yet. Whoever made this is a genius. I love the siege of Meereen in the books. They should have fit it in. They had time. She's been in Mereeen for 2 seasons.

Daniel Portman (Pod's actor) said episode 10 would break the internet.

Moff

Can we blame them for killing off Barry, at least?

yes, although I'd rather blame them for botching him in the first place. he was fine in season 1, but after that he was nowhere near on the level of the books, so it probably didn't even matter that they killed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom