• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

Daniel Portman (Pod's actor) said episode 10 would break the internet.
We already know that. Jons death/resurrection. Or at least, on paper that is one of the most shocking character deaths possible. His resurrection hasn't actually been depicted or confirmed in the books so its something for readers as well.
I really don't know why you guys are taking Jon's resurrection this season for granted.
Because casting news next season would spoil it. It would also feel too grim and then later like a cop out if they wait too long.

inb4 he ain't resurrected yet and melisandre feeling his death meaning a possible resurrection cliffhanger <_<
"you know jon we really are the azor ahai"

Best one yet. Whoever made this is a genius. I love the siege of Meereen in the books. They should have fit it in. They had time. She's been in Mereeen for 2 seasons.

Daniel Portman (Pod's actor) said episode 10 would break the internet.

I'm still pretty sure we see a lot of people dying in Ep 10. Jon getting stabbed, Brienne and Pod on their rescue mission for Sansa. Etc.

CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

I'm curious to see what is in episode 10 this year. The walk, Mercy, and Daznak's Pit seem to be happening in episode 9. I guess episode 10 will focus on the northern and Wall storylines. Anyone think Jon will be stabbed in episode 9, and then revived in episode 10? Or will they do the whole death and revival thing in one episode?
Does anyone have the other books vs. Show pictures?

Sean C

My guess is season 6 will be half the remnants of Feast/Dance left and half WoW.
I really don't see any of this as the "remnants" of AFFC. They're just cutting to the TWOW portions of those storylines; so instead of seeing Sam spend a year traveling to Oldtown, he'll get there between seasons. And the Ironborn story will be their invasion of the Reach.

Kain

Frankly, I find all of Balon's brothers to be utterly boring and/or stupid. When re-reading their chapters it had come to me that Balon was the smartest of that generation of Greyjoys, and that realization made me very upset.

Euron is the smartest, Balon is just the older. Victarion is the stupid one.

After Stannis opening up to his daughter I'm sensing he is going to die. The shitty(iest) part is that he will probably die fighting against plot-armor-Ramsay, and that sucks.

God I hope Euron is made to be the new bad guy because I can't stand Ramsay. Joffrey was fun in a twisted way, Ramsay is just... I don't know, I sure as hell don't like him like I did old blondie Joff.

Ratrat

I really don't see any of this as the "remnants" of AFFC. They're just cutting to the TWOW portions of those storylines; so instead of seeing Sam spend a year traveling to Oldtown, he'll get there between seasons. And the Ironborn story will be their invasion of the Reach.
The invasion of the Reach is Feast though isn't it?(I doubt this will even happen in the show though) They have to kill Balon, introduce Euron and settle things with Yara. They have yet to properly introduce the citadel or Randyll. We haven't heard of Rickon and Osha in a while. There's a lot to be resolved in Riverrun. I'm not sure what they plan to do with Sansa after she stops playing Jeyne, but they may return to elements of her book storyline....a little.
It starts in Feast. But the battle around Oldtown is just about to begin at the end of ADWD.
Ah, forgotten most of this stuff. It's all offscreen I think.

Tbh I imagine 99% of show-watchers don't pay attention to casting news, but I'm sure that something as big as Kit Harrington appearing in S6 would spread around and spoil people.

also "break the internet" = rip in peace John Snow

The invasion of the Reach is Feast though isn't it?(I doubt this will even happen in the show though) They have to kill Balon, introduce Euron and settle things with Yara. They have yet to properly introduce the citadel or Randyll. We haven't heard of Rickon and Osha in a while. There's a lot to be resolved in Riverrun.

It starts in Feast. But the battle around Oldtown is just about to begin at the end of ADWD.

ChaosXVI

I'm really curious how many of the Greyjoys will make it in...certainly either Victarian or Euron is in, that much is to be sure...I feel like Aeron is for sure cut though, as he easily could have appeared in Season 2 when Theon first arrives to Pyke and he doesn't. Both Victarian and Euron have been referenced by the show but it was an offhand reference back in season 1. I suppose they could just get Euron to say "...if only my foolish little brother Victarian didn't die from x last year..."

duckroll

After Stannis opening up to his daughter I'm sensing he is going to die. The shitty(iest) part is that he will probably die fighting against plot-armor-Ramsay, and that sucks.

That's unfair to the show. They've taken great pains to establish that this version of Ramsay is a true badass and one of the greatest fighters in the Seven Kingdoms. Even when he is cornered in a narrow space with nothing but his breeches and his bare chest, his intense training in dual wielding and mastery in animal affinity allows him to defeat and drive off some of the toughest fighters from the Iron Islands! #neverforget #OPasfuck #grindingpaysoff

Well, that seems like a reasonable guess :) and yepe, I expect WoW to be packed with climaxes, Storm of Swords style too!

Still, I hate the decision to merge the Remmants of Feast / Dance into the next season rather than cutting them altogether. Fuck that bullshit, these books were in dire need of fat-trimming. Would it depend of me, I would have made Daenerys skip Meeren altogether and just move on.

Also, regarding this season's last episode's name:

it would be utterly, frigging stupid to make winter come at last at the end of this season, with the treath of the White Walkers finally materializing, only to shift focus into a forgotten, wholly uninteresting faction (Greyjoys) in the next, just because the showrunners are running out of plot. Greyjoys are small potatoes next to Danerys and the white walkers, even moreso in the series than in the books.
It is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions and bored, cockblocked audiences, I fear.

I'm pretty sure Euron is going to end up being the main human villain of the series. Especially since it seems that Victarion will succeed in at least half of his mission.

Also, *WoW speculation + chapter spoiler*
I think they are setting things up such that Theon will be sacrificed in order to lead Stannis over Ramsay. It's pretty fitting when you think about it. Would be even better if Mel made a shadow baby that looked like Theon to rush in and cut off his junk.

Ikael

BTW, new Season 6 news, this time, a new filming location:

It is rumoured that HBO will film again in Spain, but in a wholly different city than Seville: Gerona.

After seeing the pics of the city, I am pretty damn convinced that they will keep with the
Oldtown
plot over there. I mean, this is pretty much how I envisioned
the High Tower

Where's the source for episode 10's title?

edit: imdb confirms the name, can people edit the title of an episode on imdb?

I pulled it out of the "no spoilers" thread, and I assumed that the source was legit. I didn't stoped to think that IMDB could be easily edited by anyone, my fault :/

I'm pretty sure Euron is going to end up being the main human villain of the series. Especially since it seems that Victarion will succeed in at least half of his mission.

I think they are setting things up such that Theon will be sacrificed in order to lead Stannis over Ramsay. It's pretty fitting when you think about it. Would be even better if Mel made a shadow baby that looked like Theon to rush in and cut off his junk.

Nah, I think that it is pretty damn clear that Daenerys is shaping up to be the endgame villian in the books, along with a much more darker Tyrion. The final confrontation won't be a "good team heroes of fire VS evil team of ice", but rather "two cosmic forces clashing and leaded by people with varying degrees of grey, acting as pawns of the respective gods".

It is rumoured that HBO will film again in Spain, but in a wholly different city than Seville: Gerona.

After seeing the pics of the city, I am pretty damn convinced that they will keep with the
Oldtown
the High Tower

The biggest intrigue with the
Oldtown
plot isn't
Euron's reavers
, but will
J'aquen
and possibly
Arya
show up there?

Euron is the smartest, Balon is just the older. Victarion is the stupid one.

God I hope Euron is made to be the new bad guy because I can't stand Ramsay. Joffrey was fun in a twisted way, Ramsay is just... I don't know, I sure as hell don't like him like I did old blondie Joff.

Ugh. I still say Ramsay (speculation)
kills her and that wills Stannis to victory. Makes sense that Ramsay's villany finally gets the best of him and causes him a serious setback on the battlefield as well as with his dad who will no doubt be fucking PISSED. The other cool aspect would be if Shireen dies at Ramsay's hand after Stannis refuses to sacrifice her, does that mean Ramsay just unwittingly did the blood sacrifice himself?

Kain

That's unfair to the show. They've taken great pains to establish that this version of Ramsay is a true badass and one of the greatest fighters in the Seven Kingdoms. Even when he is cornered in a narrow space with nothing but his breeches and his bare chest, his intense training in dual wielding and mastery in animal affinity allows him to defeat and drive off some of the toughest fighters from the Iron Islands! #neverforget #OPasfuck #grindingpaysoff

#NOONEUNDERSTAAANDS

Oldtown
the High Tower

Mmmm... I've been there recently, the cathedral is huge (I think it's the biggest gothic cathedral in the world or something) and there are lots of gardens and stuff surrounding it. Perfect place for the Citadel I would say, yeah.

Iksenpets

Banned

This is my hope right now, that Stannis and Davos manage to delay the sacrifice of Shireen long enough that Theon and Sansa arrive and Stannis sacrifices Theon instead. Seems like wishful thinking though. :(

I have a feeling that Ramsay is this show's hero.

WoW spec:
I think that would make sense for the show to do, but in the books, Melissandre is still at the wall with Shireen.

bengraven

No grind, he doesn't seem to have much XP.

I think he minned CHA and STR and maxed DEX and CON with some points in INT.

1) I think you're right - I picture a battle at Oldtown being one of the major set piece battles of next year. A Blackwater 2.
2) I think the book is setting that up, too, which might be another reason Stannis could live. The spoiler chapter released for WoW seems to hint at that (they should have never removed that chapter from Dance).

Layell

The Loras book vs show one is probably the best because it underscores how subtle the Renly and Loras relationship was portrayed, while in the show "everyone knows". I can only hope that this season ends with Loras joining the Kingsguard as some sort of out, so that we can get on with this horrid plot point.

Lothar

Banned
Excellent decision. The siege of Meereen is too involved and costly for decent television adaptation, and GRRM's insistence on having Tyrion spend the entirety of ADWD missing the plot was one of the worst he's made. They've nailed Tyrion's plot this year.

I'd rather that than a Hardhome battle. Agreed on Tyrion in ADWD but if the battle of Meereen was next episode, Tyrion could be in it. And his story this season up to this point wouldn't have to be changed at all.

Parshias7

Would that even work out? I guess you can say Theon has king's blood in him because Balon declared himself king, but isn't Stannis' whole shtick that he is the one true king and everyone else is a pretender? Not sure if the Red God wants pretend king blood.

Speevy

Banned
It's perfectly reasonable to assume that once they have one big battle, they won't have another one.

Dany's journey in the show is one of a ruler who has an army that can win battles, but has trouble when her own sense of justice runs up against longstanding cultural norms. It's a parallel to conflicts when countries think their military might is enough to govern another country.

Having 50,000 soldiers descend on Meereen would not only be an outrageously expensive endeavor, it would have little impact because we really don't know very many people in Meereen. The battles of Blackwater and Castle Black worked because they would keep returning to the human stories of Stannis, Davos, Tyrion, Cersei, Sansa, The Hound, Joffrey, Sam, Jon, Pyp, Grenn, Edd, Alliser, Janos, Gilly, and Ygritte. I don't want to watch sword fights and effects while Dany shows a concerned look on her face.

munchie64

People want White Walkers, they don't want more Dany and a bunch of people they don't care about converge on a city they don't care about.

They made the right decision.

People want White Walkers, they don't want more Dany and a bunch of people they don't care about converge on a city they don't care about.

Agreed. Winter Is Coming, show has to make sure that it is right and center in some way as we near end of the series.

Where is the show vs. book about Tyrion spending two books doing nothing that will really matter...

Would that even work out? I guess you can say Theon has king's blood in him because Balon declared himself king, but isn't Stannis' whole shtick that he is the one true king and everyone else is a pretender? Not sure if the Red God wants pretend king blood.

gendry's blood worked but he was only a bastard sooo I donno
even if the seed is strong blah blah

Are there any books vs the books pictures? Like when Tyrion personally slaughters a bunch of soldiers at the battle of the blackwater after two books made it abundantly clear how unsuited he was for combat? Or when Samwell tries to turn down becoming a maester for some nonsense reason after he was constantly presented as someone who would jump at the opportunity?

AkuMifune

Banned

Just when it all seems lost for our villainous Bolton it's revealed he's ALSO a warg! Why should only the good guys have powers? He becomes his dog and rips out Stannis' throat before becoming King in the North.

That's So Ramsay!

Just when it all seems lost for our villainous Bolton it's revealed he's ALSO a warg! Why should only the good guys have powers? He becomes his dog and rips out Stannis' throat before becoming King in the North.

There is a reason Stark have warg powers. They share bloodline with the free men I believe?

ryseing

My favorite is during the "Kill the boy" speech, Aemon says that Daenerys is alone, "under siege" in the show.

Which is hilarious, because the siege is definitely not happening on the show... Writers can't even keep their own changes straight, let alone avoid plot holes.

"Under siege" doesn't have to mean there is an actual siege. Can mean surrounded by enemies in her court and almost friendless, which is certainly Dany's situation.

Burt

gendry's blood worked but he was only a bastard sooo I donno
even if the seed is strong blah blah

Yeah, I still don't believe that worked. Melissandre lucked out. King's blood is such horseshit. Mel is gonna burn someone someday and have a lot of questions to answer when it doesn't work, unless it ends up getting Stannis killed and she just gets to waltz over to reborn Jon Snow and plague him with her weak-ass attempts to bend prophecy to whatever her expectations are.

Honestly, I think people have mistaken absence for "subtlety" for Loras's plot in the books. I'm far more inclined to think that GRRM could not give less of a shit about writing a gay character if he tried, rather than him writing this tremendously meaningful and subtle love story.

I'd rather that than a Hardhome battle. Agreed on Tyrion in ADWD but if the battle of Meereen was next episode, Tyrion could be in it. And his story this season up to this point wouldn't have to be changed at all.

White Walkers are directly related to the series endgame. Meereen probably isn't. If it's a choice between a battle showing off the White Walkers and a battle showing off more of Slaver's Bay, White Walkers win every time.

My favorite is during the "Kill the boy" speech, Aemon says that Daenerys is alone, "under siege" in the show.

Which is hilarious, because the siege is definitely not happening on the show... Writers can't even keep their own changes straight, let alone avoid plot holes.

Umm...siege can have multiple meanings.

Lothar

Banned

Tyrion, Berristan, Jorah, and dany (commanding dragons or a dothraki army) could all have been involved. That's more than just Jon.

Plus we've already seen a big battle in the north. This would have been a different setting.
I don't think they made the right decision.

The whole Kings blood thing is a smoke screen IMO and I never thought it mattered.
Stannis's blood wasn't magical until his brother suddenly died and then it was?

I think Theon would work just fine.

Speevy

Banned
If nothing else happens this season, I want to see Ramsay get some consequence for his actions. Something has to happen.

A strongly worded letter even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom