• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

aFIGurANT

He/She's right, I love this episode, but it really doesn't retroactively make earlier episodes good.

It shows where the show could be/will be going though, doesn't it? My whole thing with GoT was people not realizing that their neighbors and rivals aren't the real enemy. Tonight we saw for the first time the real kinda shitstorm that's coming.

Showaddy

When Jon gets stabbed he'd better get properly fucking Caesar'd with his brothers chanting the oath as they murder him. Not some crap with Olly sliding up, stabbing him and legging it Roose Bolton style.

Bread

Banned
That might just be my favorite episode from the entire show.

Tyrion+Dany is fucking happening.

Hardhome lived up to its billing.

Incredible.

Gattsu25

Banned
That was fucking amazing.

God, I've been enjoying this season so much even if some of the changes make no ducking sense in retrospect. However, the new content in this episode was all legit

It shows where the show could be/will be going though, doesn't it? My whole thing with GoT was people not realizing that their neighbors and rivals aren't the real enemy. Tonight we saw for the first time the real kinda shitstorm that's coming.
If that's how epic future fights would be, then hell yeah, I'm all for it.

Magnus

Ah, thanks. And to further answer my own question for anyone interested, I lifted this from the GOT wiki on GRRM's contributions:

Pilot (in pre-production) - writer (story), co-executive producer
Season 1, Episode 8: "The Pointy End" - writer (story and teleplay), co-executive producer
Season 2, Episode 9: "Blackwater" - writer (story and teleplay), co-executive producer
Season 3, Episode 7: "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" - writer (story and teleplay), co-executive producer.
Season 4, Episode 2: "The Lion and the Rose" - writer (story and teleplay), co-executive producer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Who was the wildling woman who got eaten by the undead kids?

Random Wilding Tribe leader.

Now, I'm not completely book learned, but I don't think there's any other standout "leaders" of theirs. I imagine she's there for the effect of both having the dread moment with the children, and being the "face" of the newly risen dead.

Magnus

This episode felt LONG, too. I didn't have a clock around, but felt certain that it was already bordering on 10pm when Jon and company were sailing up to the shore to begin with. I didn't anticipate an entire story happening there, and then once the battle erupted, I was sure we were done for the night, but damn if it didn't just keep on going.

jett

D-Member
Hardhome scenes were amazing.

Tyrion and Dany scenes were terrible. Clarke is just so bad. One of the best actors on the show finally met with one of the worst and it's so uneven. I cannot take her seriously.

While Clarke is quite shit, she's not entirely to blame. She's been directed to behave like a total asshole. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think Dany was like this in the books, at least it didn't come across to me like that.

During that final shot of Jon staring down the white walker army, I was scared the Night's King was going to freeze the sea and chase after them.

It's one of the few legendary powers we haven't seen yet.

While Clarke is quite shit, she's not entirely to blame. She's been directed to behave like a total asshole. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think Dany was like this in the books, at least it didn't come across to me like that.
She kind of is, but you're getting her thoughts to provide a little more perspective on her choices.

jett

D-Member
That was seriously great. Unsullied gonna be legit shook when he survives that only to get shanked 2 episodes later.

Lol'd at "he (Jon) always comes back." That foreshadowing ;)

I think he'll get the shank at the end of episode 9, and revive in episode 10. If they use his death as a season cliffhanger I predict a massive drop in viewership next season, cuz it truly will have been one drop too much.

Saya

True, it's part of the writing as well. I just felt she like she was out of her depth up against Dinklage. Maybe it will improve in the coming episodes.

"I've been worrying about Jon for years...
He always comes back..."

Yeah hope this is some forshadowing

He damn well better come back

I think he'll get the shank at the end of episode 9, and revive in episode 10. If they use his death as a season cliffhanger I predict a massive drop in viewership next season, cuz it truly will have been one drop too much.

If they really do kill off Jon after this kind of stuff I agree, i think it would actually impact viewership

Pkaz01

The Faceless men totally have to be against the Night's King right? Raising the dead is like the opposite of everything they are about

Magnus

Throughout the final five minutes, my BF and I kept wondering, "what about the giant? How the fuck's a boat going to hold him? Oh shit, how's he going to get away?" until finally, as if the show heard us, we got an extended sequence of the badass just marching on through into the lake, chucking fuckers off his back, and basically walk/swimming out to freedom.

Awesome.

--

I'm worried a lot of mainstream critics are going to whore it up for attention this week by claiming episodes like this get us too far away from 'real human drama' and too far into 'sci-fi/fantasy'. Admittedly, I have to double-take sometimes and remind myself that these epic northern wars are happening in the same world that Ned Stark lived in five years ago, and where we've had so many stellar, quieter scenes. It's tough to properly reconcile sometimes, eh? So many productions out there excel in one area, or the other (drama and action), but rarely both. Frankly, I think Thrones is one of the few that does. But again, that might give ammo to the ignorant who may accuse it of losing one to "pander" to the crowd that only wants the other. That's what I always fear when Thrones gets a bombastic, exciting action sequence.

If GRRM kills off Jon for good then fuck'im. You can only kill off major characters so many times before it becomes rote and uninteresting.

Do it D&D, keep Jon alive!

He's not dead. Man, wolf, man.

Pretty good ending, great ending. Honestly I thought the Tyrion/Dany stuff was whatever. Clarke remains a poor actress, but the bigger issue to me was that the conversation wasn't interesting. Dany presumably has very little info on what has happened in Westeros over the last few years, outside of headlines ("Robert is dead"). I had hoped the conversation would be a bit more engaging, although I did like Tyrion's confidence.

The Arya scenes were good. Nice to see her outside for a change.

mfiuza

The part when Jon looked up and saw the white walkers on top of the mountain gave me chills. I was thinking they would end the episode right there. Glad they didn't. Took me a while to accept those skeletons things (since last season they could stick only with the wights though) but the fight was awesome. Crazy ending.

jett

D-Member
The Faceless men totally have to be against the Night's King right? Raising the dead is like the opposite of everything they are about

I wonder if D&D know how Arya's bizness is going to tie in with the rest of the show.

Shit, I wonder if GRRM knows.

Kahoona

So is Lady Stoneheart just not going to be on the show? Or is that going to be the conclusion of Brienne's storyline for this season?

Jon getting shanked as the season ender would be amazing, especially after that episode. Ratings be damned.

Everyone will find out he's back shortly into S6 anyway. Or earlier.

It also doesn't work as a TV cliffhanger because the off season is long and full of casting news. Kit Harrington will have to show up to work at some point and everyone will know

bengraven

Loved it.

Jorah's got a stone cold plan.
Sam is not only responsible for convincing Olly to kill Ygritte, but now Jon as well.
RennFaire World War Z was great.
Dany Hall and Tyri-Allen's little meet cute flirt session was exciting.
Arya scene with her cute Skywalker buns and pretty little dress and poisoned oysters making this guy in the future puke and shit himself to death was nice.

The show just did the "FINAL BOSS STARES INTO THE EYES OF THE CHOSEN HERO" scene at the end of episode. Jon isn't going to stay dead.

https://youtu.be/AirzfZN98ds?t=8s

Kerned

Banned
People have been saying that literally every season. Ned dying would be too much. Red Wedding would be too much. Karl Fookin Tanner would be too much. They always come back.

It also doesn't work as a TV cliffhanger because the off season is long and full of casting news. Kit Harrington will have to show up to work at some point and everyone will know

Good point actually. If he doesn't get shanked next episode he's probably perma dead.

There is no way they could cover up Kit on set for the entire production of next season

People have been saying that literally every season. Ned dying would be too much. Red Wedding would be too much. Karl Fookin Tanner would be too much. They always come back.

Ed idk I think it would be a deal breaker for the show AND books. At some point character paths need to MEAN something. If Jon is dead his whole character arc is basically pointless

Spoilery stuff:

Preview:
Daznak's Pit look's amazing. Plus finally the Jaime/Doran team up, I'm excited.

Episode 10 logline:
"Jon is challenged" or whatever. Unless there's some shenanigans going on in the next two he's not getting revived.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I wonder if D&D know how Arya's bizness is going to tie in with the rest of the show.

Shit, I wonder if GRRM knows.

Well, don't they hate dragons? I would think dragons would be a pretty effective tool to use against The Others. Damn, now I wonder what they're endplan is.

Man, that episode was the best of the season! Seeing the white walkers in action was pretty intense. I feel like for the finale an assassination attempt on Jon Snow seems pretty plausible when he comes back to the Wall with all the wildlings, and Ollie will probably talked into doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom