• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Was that behind the scenes (i.e. Synopsis) or in the show?

Yep
G1pdcan.png

LordCanti

I won't accept anything less than Ramsay completely getting his ass handed to him in the coming episodes. Ramsay "20 men #YOLOSWAG" Bolton going into Mannis's camp and doing any damage would be the worst. Him saying "blah blah feast for crows" was almost a "we really are the last of us" moment.

This was a great episode and it didn't have any scenes in Dorne. I wonder if those two things are related. The fight at Hardhome (and everything leading up to it) was fantastic. Tyrion and Dany talking could have been elevated by Dany not being as wooden but it was a cool scene many years in the making. The scenes with Cersei went a long way toward showing that these aren't reasonable people they're dealing with (they're basically trying to starve and dehydrate a confession out of her). I thought Lena was great in them.

Well, I thought that was the whole point of the spoiler....He is THE Night King.

Yeah :/ One and the same for sure. That was a real bummer to find out from a mistake.

Seeing as how Stannis brought Melisandre this time Ramsay is probably fucked. Or alternatively Melisandre ends up having no actual foresight and Stannis chokes her for good this time.

RaidenZR

That episode was grand. Really puts into perspective how poorly executed and conceived episode 6 was in comparison. When the show wants to get its shit together and do shit right, it CAN and does so in such an exciting manner. Great visuals and exchanges tonight, all around.

The worst part by far was Olly (again). They put a lot of stock in the most one-note, uninteresting character. One who's been given way too much undeserved screen time and has been telegraphed to do something extreme from a million miles away.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
this episode brought me back! Tyrion and daenerys scenes were great! North of the wall stuff was amazing!

I'm just hoping GRR finishes up soon!

The Faceless men totally have to be against the Night's King right? Raising the dead is like the opposite of everything they are about

I've previously speculated that the Faceless Men are probably working for the White Walkers, even if they don't directly know it.

They worship the God of Death, or the very concept of death. Melisandre has made it very clear in the books (not the show, unfortunately), that the Lord of Light has an opposite, a Lord of Darkness who empowers the White Walkers and their undead army. Even though Wights are "resurrected", they are very much dead, not like those resurrected through the Lord of Light's powers.

Melisandre also makes it clear when speaking to Davos that the Lord of Darkness has human agents who pursue his will unseen in the normal world. Who are these people? Have none of them been introduced yet? I find that highly unlikely. Who seems interested in engendering chaos in the world?

Aside from the obvious choices of Euron and Littlefinger, you have the mysterious group of the Faceless Men.

Why are they in Oldtown sneaking around? I think they have some vested interest in sabotaging Dany's return to Westeros. If you recall, their religion began because of the subjugation of people by the Valyrians. They are now a death cult who sacrifice their individuality to offer the gift of death to those who want it or are willing to trade their humanity for it. Why else would they be spying on Marwyn, who wants to help Dany?

LordCanti

Who thought she was gonna be Val? Super pretty, tough, didn't even get a name. Why?

Somehow I knew she was dead the second I saw her. It's like when you see an NPC in a video game that is a little bit more detailed and well made than any others and you know they're special.

In this case "special" meant "you're being set up to care about her a little bit because she's going to die horribly"

RaidenZR

Thought the same thing.

Had a ton of impact for such a small part though.

You nailed it. I was really hoping she made it out of that scene alive because we need stronger, fresh faces for the Wildlings besides Tormund. Shame she came and went with a blaze.

Was she just stunned by walker-kids and the thought of children turning into them paralyzed her? Or was one of them one of her actual daughters? I couldn't tell and I was too caught up in the entire battle to rewind.

bengraven

The first meeting of Dany's small council went well. She didn't kill her Hand and she started him on AA.

Not bad for a brother and sister first meeting.

Thought the same thing.

Had a ton of impact for such a small part though.

Her kids are too have a lot to talk to Olly about.

Kerned

Banned
Somehow I knew she was dead the second I saw her. It's like when you see an NPC in a video game that is a little bit more detailed and well made than any others and you know they're special.

In this case "special" meant "you're being set up to care about her a little bit because she's going to die horribly"
When she was putting her kids on the boat she might as well have said how excited she was to finally retire in two days. Sometimes this show fails to be subtle.

phaonaut

I've previously speculated that the Faceless Men are probably working for the White Walkers, even if they don't directly know it.

They worship the God of Death, or the very concept of death. Melisandre has made it very clear in the books (not the show, unfortunately), that the Lord of Light has an opposite, a Lord of Darkness who empowers the White Walkers and their undead army. Even though Wights are "resurrected", they are very much dead, not like those resurrected through the Lord of Light's powers.

Melisandre also makes it clear when speaking to Davos that the Lord of Darkness has human agents who pursue his will unseen in the normal world. Who are these people? Have none of them been introduced yet? I find that highly unlikely. Who seems interested in engendering chaos in the world?

Aside from the obvious choices of Euron and Littlefinger, you have the mysterious group of the Faceless Men.

Why are they in Oldtown sneaking around? I think they have some vested interest in sabotaging Dany's return to Westeros. If you recall, their religion began because of the subjugation of people by the Valyrians. They are now a death cult who sacrifice their individuality to offer the gift of death to those who want it or are willing to trade their humanity for it. Why else would they be spying on Marwyn, who wants to help Dany?

Interesting thoughts, I forgot about their origin.

--

This episode was pretty amazing and delivered in all the ways I wanted it to. The battle scene at the gates, I thought for a second ice spiders were going to be on the other side.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That was one hell of a great episode. Nice comeback from episode 6.

Loved Sam's foreshadowing with the "He always comes back" line.

HawkeyeIC

Good episode, but reminded me that there's no way the budget for this show will be able to do justice to what we're all expecting to be the final battle (dragons + WW = budget fail).

carlsojo

Good episode, but reminded me that there's no way the budget for this show will be able to do justice to what we're all expecting to be the final battle (dragons + WW = budget fail).

If there's anything Game of Thrones and the Flash have taught me, it's that I'm consistently surprised at what television shows are able to pull off these days.

Vhagar

Neo Member

Back in season 2, people said there was no way the budget would allow for giants and mammoths and we got that last year.

duckroll

A non-reader brought up an interesting point. If the Night's King is the one who personally raises the dead, I guess he's the only one that really needs to be killed to end this craziness.

To be fair, just because he was the one who did it in this particular scene doesn't mean he's the only one who could do it. Maybe he decided to come down and do it himself because the dude he spent to do the job earlier got offed by Jon and he was pissed!

It's one thing to speculate, it's another to have it confirmed.

A lot of people speculated that dragonsteel=Valyrian Steel, but it was actually confirmed tonight, and confirmation is a big deal.

Just like a lot of people speculated about R+L=J, but it will still be a big deal when/if it gets confirmed.

Altazor

I think HBO would up the budget... maybe not considerably, but a certain increase nonetheless, considering it'll be the final season. It's an event. They have to do it justice.

Great episode until they got to Hardhome. Shit made no sense. But I guess they got some "dumb it down for TV" stuff out of the way with Valyrian steel. So no TV watchers won't be confused by its usage.

Hamlet

The first meeting of Dany's small council went well. She didn't kill her Hand and she started him on AA.

Not bad for a brother and sister first meeting.

Her kids are too have a lot to talk to Olly about.

AivLfGM.gif

Haha but yeah they both had some great scenes together. Tyrion telling her the reality of how she will most likely be received in Westeros was great. Should be fun seeing how this duo grows.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
To be fair, just because he was the one who did it in this particular scene doesn't mean he's the only one who could do it. Maybe he decided to come down and do it himself because the dude he spent to do the job earlier got offed by Jon and he was pissed!

He was watching Jon the whole time, I think he was just purposefully sending him a message.

He's obviously the head honcho, I'd be more interested to know if he's the only one that can make other White Walkers.

Thaedolus

My face after this episode:

hqdefault.jpg

I knew after the preview Jon was gonna become a slayer with Longclaw, and when it happened I had to do a "WOOOO!" out loud.

I loved the Tyrion & Dany shit, I loved the Cersei shit, I loved the Jorah shit, I loved the Jon shit, I loved the Ollie gonna cast backstab shit, I loved Hardome, I loved this episode, it almost makes up for everything else that sucked this season.

Also: this will be the only show ever that reveals the man bad dude (explicitly) at the end of the 5th season.

Ghost23

Honestly, the reason I think Jon is not dead is because his mother hasn't been revealed, and we know that is important because GRRM made D&D answer that question before they made the show.

Blastoise

Banned
HBO: You know whats cool...... zombies!

The only thing awesome about the final fight scene, was the Ice King staring at Jon. Everything else was too Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom