• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
A non-reader brought up an interesting point. If the Night's King is the one who personally raises the dead, I guess he's the only one that really needs to be killed to end this craziness.

It also doesn't work as a TV cliffhanger because the off season is long and full of casting news. Kit Harrington will have to show up to work at some point and everyone will know

Right, so probably won't be a season cliffhanger. :p

People have been saying that literally every season. Ned dying would be too much. Red Wedding would be too much. Karl Fookin Tanner would be too much. They always come back.

It definitely was too much for me in ADWD, but mostly because it came off as fucking idiotic and I was internally laughing at GRRM trying so hard with yet another surprise death.

Pkaz01

Well, don't they hate dragons? I would think dragons would be a pretty effective tool to use against The Others.

Isn't book Jaqen in Oldtown looking for dragon knowledge?

I was hoping the show would have spoiled some of the Faceless man secrets by now but i find it very interesting they are dragging that storyline out. Its making me believe they know Arya will never become no one and are going to use her anyway.

I expected at least the origin story of the faceless men by now, especially after the episode they went through Valyria

Turin

Banned
That was fucking great.

Tyrion & Dany, Cersei in prison, Reek informing Sansa, everything at Hardhome. Easily one of my favorite GoT episodes.

Kerned

Banned
It definitely was too much for me in ADWD, but mostly because it came off as fucking idiotic and I was internally laughing at GRRM trying so hard with yet another surprise death.
Yeah, I hated it so much in the book. It is such a transparent fake out.

Spoilery stuff:

Preview:
Daznak's Pit look's amazing. Plus finally the Jaime/Doran team up, I'm excited.

Episode 10 logline:
"Jon is challenged" or whatever. Unless there's some shenanigans going on in the next two he's not getting revived.

Wow, maybe he is perma dead.

Or possibly gets killed early episode 10 and revived at the end?

When they started talking about OldTown, I was convinced that Sam had to leave before Jon died. Running out of time, unless Sam escapes to OldTown, which I don't think would work.

Didn't we already know that? I could have sworn I saw people talking about that like a year ago.

You mean the Valyrian steel thing?

It was rumoured that "dragonsteel" would work against them but it wasn't confirmed that it was Valyrian steel. They just speculated that they may be one and the same. Confirmed by tonight's events.

ryseing

Guys, the show isn't good again because of one fight scene.

Wasn't just the one fight scene.

The Northern plotline has been the best one all season, and tonight was a helluva culmination. Adding in the best actor to the most boring plotline will be a huge benefit. KL is about to get real with Kevan coming back and potential Cleganebowl.

I'm excited for this show again. Last two episodes are going to be sick.

Didn't we already know that? I could have sworn I saw people talking about that like a year ago.

You mean the Valyrian steel thing?

Yeah, we did know about valyrian steel before. Quote from ADWD:

"I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."
"Dragonsteel?" The term was new to Jon. "Valyrian steel?"
"That was my first thought as well."

After the last scene today anyone who thinks Jon is perma dying is loco. He's the hero of the show along with dany. This cemented it.

If D&D thinks that they're writing her as a heroine they're bungling it quite badly. She's awful.

Also I change my allegiance to #TeamJonGetsStabbedButDoesn'tActuallyDie before it cuts to credits. That's the best ending, bar none. None of this revival nonsense crammed into 2 episodes.

Also I forgot about the line about Kevan. RIP, hopefully it is actually Varys and not fuking Littlefinger. That would be a lame change.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It was rumoured that "dragonsteel" would work against them but it wasn't confirmed that it was Valyrian steel. They just speculated that they may be one and the same. Confirmed by tonight's events.

It was heavily speculated to the point that it was a given, however the theory was never put to the test in the books.

I see.

Yeah, we did know about valyrian steel before. Quote from ADWD:

"I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."
"Dragonsteel?" The term was new to Jon. "Valyrian steel?"
"That was my first thought as well."

When I read the books I basically took that as gospel. I didn't know there was anyone who doubted the veracity of that account.

Yeah, and the whole battle in general just sort of gave us another glimpse into the Others/wights dynamic.

I think I'll risk it! Thanks!

If D&D thinks that they're writing her as a heroine they're bungling it quite badly. She's awful.

Also I change my allegiance to #TeamJonGetsStabbedButDoesn'tActuallyDie before it cuts to credits. That's the best ending, bar none. None of this revival nonsense crammed into 2 episodes.

Yes that would be the best way. Have him stabbed and fucked up, but live through it, OR have him "dead" early in the episode and use whatever method they need to, to raise him before the end.

Either way, imo we know Jon's fate by the end of episode 10 for the simple fact they can't hide Kit on set during filming.

paskowitz

Jon gets stabbed in episode 10, they already filmed the majority of his scenes for the next season, buuuut, he is out for most of it, comes back sometime in the last 3 episodes of the next season.

Or so my crystal ball says...

Kerned

Banned
Yes that would be the best way. Have him stabbed and fucked up, but live through it, OR have him "dead" early in the episode and use whatever method they need to, to raise him before the end.

Either way, imo we know Jon's fate by the end of episode 10 for the simple fact they can't hide Kit on set during filming.
They don't need to. The vast majority of viewers won't be following casting rumors or news from the set.

Euron

So I just rewatched the white walker encounter with Jon and the Thenn and that whole sequence was pretty much a Dark Souls boss battle: Enter door. Ominous sounds. Baddie walks in. Jolly Cooperation. Partner charges in and gets destroyed. You try to look for secrets. Get ass handed to you. Find way to cheese it. Doesn't matter still won.

fuzzyset

Melisandre totally saw through Davos trying to kill her from a couple seasons ago right? I reaaaaaaaally hope Ramsay tries to be "badass" with 20 men, and Mel just lights them on fire.

They don't need to. The vast majority of viewers won't be following casting rumors or news from the set.

Yeah they do, if he is seen it will be all over everywhere. I mean everywhere, not just people that follow set stuff. It will be plastered all over the front page of basically every major website that follows TV and also on Facebook / Twitter

Crashdown

Neo Member
Jaime goes to Meeren and reunites with Tyrion, what?

It was just an errant thought, I doubt that is how it would play out, but what are they going to do with Jamie? Is he going to become a version of some other book character? Will Doran talking to Jamie be how we learn about House Martell's real plans e.g. Dany?

I'm still pulling for Jamie to fall through some sort of portal through time and space and end up talking with House Bracken and House Blackwood.

It works perfectly because the immediate impact will be show-watchers thinking he is dead, but then when Kit appears on set not only will people be less surprised but it will drum up interest in next season as to seeing how he gets out of it. I do love the build up the show is giving it too. Even though it's going to be done by Olly (barf), blatantly showing Jon as the hero (of the entire story basically) and then "killing him" will be both shocking and within expectations give the type of show this is.

edit: Even though I just started watching GoT a few weeks ago and never paid attention to casting/set pictures and stuff, it would spread like wildfire. "You won't BELIEVE which dead Night's Watch Lord Commander we saw on set!"

Kerned

Banned
Yeah they do, if he is seen it will be all over everywhere. I mean everywhere, not just people that follow set stuff. It will be plastered all over the front page of basically every major website that follows TV and also on Facebook / Twitter
Yeah, true, I can't really argue with you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom