• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think HBO would up the budget... maybe not considerably, but a certain increase nonetheless, considering it'll be the final season. It's an event. They have to do it justice.

They could end it with a feature length movie on HBO after the 7th season. That would give GRRM another year to shit out the last (?) book, and give the climax the production values it needs. Hell, HBO could even have simultaneous limited IMAX screenings of such a climax on the same day around the US. That would help recoup the cost too.

How about the incredible 360-degree tracking shot in the battle on the Wall last year?
I guess, I need to go back and watch it again. I had forgotten about it, honestly. I wasn't very into the episode so the impact of the shot was probably a little lessened for me.

Hamlet

That Valyrian steel.
dRz2CdR.gif

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
We did. It's been known since a preview chapter like 8 or 9 years ago. It was a fan theory long before that too.

I think it's pretty clear the whole point of this is foreshadowing dragon glass/steel the important part is the dragon thing.

Obsidian is called frozen fire, made by volcanos and dragon's breath, same with Valaryian Steel.

The Dragons are the real weapon against the white walkers.

BokehKing

Banned
HBO: You know whats cool...... zombies!

The only thing awesome about the final fight scene, was the Ice King staring at Jon. Everything else was too Hollywood.
It's not like that at all...
Zombies with weapons... The horde jumping over the cliff just to get up with rage, that is the enemy

foxtrot3d

Banned
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

What a fucking episode, so much awesomeness. The ONLY thing missing was "dead things in the water." I kept thinking that we'd see the wights just starting walking into the water like it ain't nothing and then reaching up and pulling down some boats. But HOLY SHIT! As soon as that Other appeared I kept saying "Use Longclaw! Use it! Confirm it once and for all D&D!" And then he fucking did it and killed the Other, I almost expected the dude to burst into flames at which point D&D would confirm it as "Lightbringer."

Everything before the episode is a mixed bag, and I wonder if parts of the Dany and Tyrion conversation was lifted from Winds. But, all in all great stuff. I can't wait to see Jon get stabbed.

Omg this episode
Tyrion episode and Jon were great
Seeing a giant kick ass was epic
Kid white walkers were scary
That was epic episode and this season is due for one

That kid is gonna stab Jon
Night King is some level 50 necromancer Mage

fuzzyset

I think it's pretty clear the whole point of this is foreshadowing dragon glass/steel the important part is the dragon thing.

Obsidian is called frozen fire, made by volcanos and dragon's breath, same with Valaryian Steel.

The Dragons are the real weapon against the white walkers.

There's talk over in the other thread of Bran warging into the dragons, aka fly. I was half expecting Drogon to save the day during that battle. I didn't think they would make it out of that fight with serious help.

Are there paternity tests in westeros?

Say the rumors are true. How would Jon ever prove who his mother was?

I'm pretty sure once Jon is done leading the human army to victory against the WW his parentage is not going to matter.

The only thing awesome about the final fight scene, was the Ice King staring at Jon. Everything else was too Hollywood.

The WHOLE fucking show and book series is based on a potential zombie invasion. Do you really think HBO thought they should just toss some zombies in to be cool?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Wow. Zombies, huh? They just came up with that outta nowhere! It's not like this entire series is about setting up a zombie invasion or anything.

VARIA

Good episode, but reminded me that there's no way the budget for this show will be able to do justice to what we're all expecting to be the final battle (dragons + WW = budget fail).

I think that battle is going to be turned into a major budget motion picture(s).

It makes sense really. The end of Game of Thrones (ASOIF), split into a trilogy of films to do the end all the justice it deserves.

I really enjoyed that teaser trailer for Sinister III: Bughuul's Big Freeze. I didn't understand why they made Bughuul act so silly at the end though.

But Sansa apparently being the new Davos doesn't give me a good feeling about next week :( #PrayforStannis

The meeting between Tyrion and Dany felt to me like fan fiction some dude wrote while furiously jerking off.

The show runner at the end sounds like George Lucas in a Star Wars Prequel interview. "In the books we knew Hardhome was bad but we didn't get to see the action because Jon Snow wasn't there. Now Jon Snow is there so we get to see the action". He also says "The Night King" instead of "The Night's King", so I'm not sure if they changed the name or if he just forgot the name lol.

Also, I guess this was in last season too, but it bothers me that the wights aren't white when we already saw a white wight in season 1.

I'm glad we're probably going to still get Kevan x Varys!

I was really excited after last episode, but this was one of the most disappointing. I'm still excited to see how Cersei plays out, but not as much as before. I guess we still have Drogon to look forward to though. Jon's gonna die soon I'm sure, but it won't be interesting because they're going to focus on the "the nights watch is racist" aspect instead of the "Jon is actually a really bad Lord Commander when it comes to his family" aspect.

Ghost23

Did anyone else notice that they accidentally showed a split second shot of the white walker that Jon killed after he was killed? Right when Jon starts to row away you can see him.

Unless it was a different white walker, but they looked exactly the same.

RaidenZR

Did anyone else notice that they accidentally showed a split second shot of the white walker that Jon killed after he was killed? Right when Jon starts to row away you can see him.

Unless it was a different white walker, but they looked exactly the same.

That's racist.
=]

Speevy

Banned
So I think I've got the end of the season pieced out.

Sansa sends a note about herself and the Stark boys, making Jon want to return home.

Ramsay burns Stannis' camp, killing many of his men and possibly his daughter.

What I can't quite piece together is what happens with Ramsay after he returns home. Has Sansa already fled? Does anything bad happen to Ramsay this season? I've pretty much given up on any forward progression of this storyline in Winterfell.

Hazmat

This season has been pretty weak, but holy shit this episode was awesome. Dany and Tyrion was done well and Jon taking out a White Walker with Longclaw was badass. How does the same show make that fight and the fight between Jaime and the Sand Snakes?

Doesn't it not make sense to take the ships full of wildlings to Castle Black? Wouldn't they have to go through the gate at Eastwatch?

This is all kind of new territory because iirc the Hardhome mission completely fails in the novels, but it seems kind of pointless to meander along the wall when they could just keep on sailing.

Speevy

Banned
This season has been pretty weak, but holy shit this episode was awesome. Dany and Tyrion was done well and Jon taking out a White Walker with Longclaw was badass. How does the same show make that fight and the fight between Jaime and the Sand Snakes?

It's very simple. Different production teams on different parts of the world.

Think of it like a developer that makes a certain popular game series, then farms it out to their second-tier studio so they can make something original.

Iksenpets

Banned
That Valyrian steel.
dRz2CdR.gif

Is it just me, or is that actually the same shot of Jon as from the trailers, and they actually somehow edited a wildling into the shot to not spoil it for the trailers?

Think of it like a developer that makes a certain popular game series, then farms it out to their second-tier studio so they can make something original.

Yep. They mentioned the Dornish stuff was working with a new stunt coordinator. I would guess that the main team spent so long on Hardhome and Daznak that a B team had to be brought in for everything else.

VARIA

I'm guessing the last shot of the season will be Jon Snow getting Julius Ceasared.

This episode really redeemed the season.

i think this episode got me back on board with this show after really souring on it after season 2

probably the most well directed episode of the entire series. guy who directed this one needs to direct them all

sucks about the wildling lady, she seemed cool

Speevy

Banned
So Valyrian steel and dragon glass.

The earliest night's watch people should have written letters to each other about all this shit instead of just burying it underground.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Doesn't it not make sense to take the ships full of wildlings to Castle Black? Wouldn't they have to go through the gate at Eastwatch?

This is all kind of new territory because iirc the Hardhome mission completely fails in the novels, but it seems kind of pointless to meander along the wall when they could just keep on sailing.

Well we don't know if it "completely fails" Cotter Pyke's message was as follows:

ADWD said:
At hardhome with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune.

I assume Cottor Pyke if he survived would take the survivors to Eastwatch.

Hazmat

Oh, I know. I just like to imagine that the things that I like have quality standards, which given the Sand Snakes fight is clearly not the case here.

The earliest night's watch people should have written letters to each other about all this shit instead of just burying it underground.
They did! It's in books. Dragon steel and dragon glass.

It's annoying that everyone's saying "Winter has finally come" when it hasn't yet. I haven't seen no white Ravens.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Well, the First Men couldn't read or write they only "wrote" crude runes. Plus, in those days crows actually spoke the messages they delivered.

I think the real problem with that fight is
1) The actresses had a hard time with the weapons. Particularly the whip which is very difficult to use and looks very lame when not used correctly.
2) They had very short window to shoot in that special location. So they probably couldn't do enough takes and just went with the best one they got.

In retrospect they'd have been better to just shoot some exterior scenes there and shot the fight on a set.

Speevy

Banned
I learned more about the Wildling Chieftainess's character in this episode than I learned about Jaime, Bronn, Obara, Tyene, Nym, Ellaria, Dorann, and Areo this entire season.

I'm actually starting to like the way the show is handling things. The political stuff was just too bloated in feast and adwd
Yeah, the stuff with Jaime really exemplifies what's great about this season. I don't want to see people talking! Just punch each other, tell some good jokes, and give us some naked ladies while you're at it.

I think the real problem with that fight is
1) The actresses had a hard time with the weapons. Particularly the whip which is very different to use and looks very lame when not used correctly.
2) They had very short window to shoot in that special location. So they probably couldn't do enough takes and just went with the best one they got.

In retrospect they'd have been better so just shooter some exterior scenes there and shot the fight on a set.

Also the number of people made the number of angles for proper stunt people low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom