• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to add that Kit Harringtons acting has improved tremendously. He is now amazing at playing Jon, while in earlier seasons I found him a bit hit and miss

cj_iwakura

Great ep, feels like they're driving home the threat of the WWs far better than the books did.

Also, it's going to make the Watch seem even more stupid for not backing him.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So does anyone want to start speculating what that symbol on The Night's King is about?

IVdAE4k.jpg

eGq0xwh.jpg

That was awesome. Can't wait for this week's "Book vs Show" meme.

The Book: Shit happens off screen to characters we don't know.

The Show: That just happened.
The Book: Jon Snow, a man of noble heart, is finally given the power he needs to right the wrongs of the world after being elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. While he initially controls his noble urges, as the consequences of provoking the Crown could lead to the end of the Night's Watch and all of Westeros, Jon eventually gives in to his desires to help the good and fight the evil. While Jon's intentions are good, and he succeeds in bringing about the biggest peace between his people and the Wildlings since the raising of the wall, his plans fail at every turn, placing the Watch and the Wall in extreme danger from the Others and Boltons alike. A group of Night's Watch members, able to see the foolishness of Jon's actions, assassinate him. Fittingly, Jon dies trying to protect an innocent, unaware of the larger and more immediate threats all around him.

The Show (Comic Sans): Jon Snow knows the wildlings are good guys, but everyone at Castle Black thinks they're savages! So after being elected Lord Commander, Jon makes peace with Tormund and goes and saves some wildlings in a totally badass battle sequence! Things don't go as planned though as a bunch of zombies show up and eat everybody! Jon escapes, but not before fucking exploding a white walker and starting deep in the eyes of King Bad Guy. Back in Castle Black, a lot of people are pissed that there are wildlings, because they hate wildlings! A small child who's parents were killed by wildlings kills Jon because Jon like wildlings. Not again! All your favorite characters always die on this show!

The Book: Jon Snow, a man of noble heart, is finally given the power he needs to right the wrongs of the world after being elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. While he initially controls his noble urges, as the consequences of provoking the Crown could lead to the end of the Night's Watch and all of Westeros, Jon eventually gives in to his desires to help the good and fight the evil. While Jon's intentions are good, and he succeeds in bringing about the biggest peace between his people and the Wildlings since the raising of the wall, his plans fail at every turn, placing the Watch and the Wall in extreme danger from the Others and Boltons alike. A group of Night's Watch members, able to see the foolishness of Jon's actions, assassinate him. Fittingly, Jon dies trying to protect an innocent, unaware of the larger and more immediate threats all around him.

The Show (Comic Sans): Jon Snow knows the wildlings are good guys, but everyone at Castle Black thinks they're savages! So after being elected Lord Commander, Jon makes peace with Tormund and goes and saves some wildlings in a totally badass battle sequence! Things don't go as planned though as a bunch of zombies show up and eat everybody! Jon escapes, but not before fucking exploding a white walker and starting deep in the eyes of King Bad Guy. Back in Castle Black, a lot of people are pissed that there are wildlings, because they hate wildlings! A small child who's parents were killed by wildlings kills Jon because Jon like wildlings. Not again! All your favorite characters always die on this show!

The bottom version sounds like a hell of a lot more fun to watch. Top sounds kinda boring to be honest

golem

I'm worried a lot of mainstream critics are going to whore it up for attention this week by claiming episodes like this get us too far away from 'real human drama' and too far into 'sci-fi/fantasy'.

Pretty sure this show, like Walking Dead it seems, is beyond critics at this point. As in they dont matter.

Speevy

Banned
Critics shit on last year's battle for the same reason, as though the first scene of this damn series didn't involve ice zombies.

Madness

Can the walkers not trudge the ocean floor? Otherwise they're really only a threat to the continent of Westeros, right?

The pressure will probably destroy them, in a physical sense. Unlike a Land of the Dead scenario where they just walk across. But it's probably also, a show liberty. If they can run off cliffs and still move, pretty sure they can run into water to grab them lol.

The bottom version sounds like a hell of a lot more fun to watch. Top sounds kinda boring to be honest
Of course, that why the bottom version is in comic sans, the most fun font. It looks just like a cartoon :D

So I just rewatched the battle. Dear god the set up for a potential Jon vs Nights King fight is unreal. The way he watches Jon kill one of the Others and then their stare down during the last scene. Its like they both see each other as "final adversaries" like they know they will fight.

Screw it, rewatching that battle Jon is living. There is just too much set up for their showdown.
I hope when Jon gets ready to fight him the Night's King (the Night King?) has a really cool entrance like Ivan Drago did in Rocky IV. And then he's like "Oh shit!" when Jon powers up his Flame Sword.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Can the walkers not trudge the ocean floor? Otherwise they're really only a threat to the continent of Westeros, right?

Some speculation that it is one big continent wrapped around the planet. Both the extreme north and east of the world are never explored and are both apparently dangerous.

Turin

Banned
I would also like to add that Kit Harringtons acting has improved tremendously. He is now amazing at playing Jon, while in earlier seasons I found him a bit hit and miss

I think he's been solid in the last 2 seasons. Definitely improves each year.

What if they ended the season with the entire night's watch dead and Jon riding for Winterfell?

I wouldn't be surprised if you see Jon putting up a fight and then Olly hits him with an arrow and the stabbing begins.

So does anyone want to start speculating what that symbol on The Night's King is about?

Hmmmmm. An Other blacksmiths mark?

Some speculation that it is one big continent wrapped around the planet. Both the extreme north and east of the world are never explored and are both apparently dangerous.
I think he was talking about the ocean to the east of Hardhome, which leads right around to the other side of the Wall and Eastwatch.

calling the last line of the season: "i just swam all the way in from volantis and boy are my fins tired"
I'd be okay with this.
*Fade to black*
*THRUMM of a crossbow*

Sheroking

Show is better than the books at this point.

Yeah, I said it and I mean it. Don't care if it's authentic at this point. Change whatever.

Why would anyone think otherwise?

Yeah, confused as to how anyone really thought he was going to die in ADWD.

Pretty obvious cliffhanger.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Again, remember Cotter Pyke's message to Jon Snow he cited "Dead things in the water." So it's safe to say they have a means of traversing across water. What exactly Cotter Pyke meant we don't know it's the only thing I was hoping to get a glimpse of this episode that we did not.

Would y'all be disappointed if no one stabbed Jon Snow at all?
There's no way he doesn't. The show needs another "omg not him!" moment this season.

Again, remember Cotter Pyke's message to Jon Snow he cited "Dead things in the water." So it's safe to say they have a means of traversing across water. What exactly Cotter Pyke meant we don't know it's the only thing I was hoping to get a glimpse of this episode that we did not.
Yeah, I think they can. I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't bother to go to the water in this episode was because King Bad Guy wanted to drop the mic in front Jon Snow, because he heard that Jon Snow was the hero and he thought it would add dramatic tension.

Iksenpets

Banned
The Valyrian steel thing actually gives them a really good reason for sending Sam to Oldtown. Jon knows that someone has to figure out how to make for it, and that library is their best bet.

Also, knowing what's coming in the next few episodes, I totally think this season would have held up to season 3/4 level quality had they not flubbed on Dorne and Sansa. I'm impressed with the structure they came up with to fit this in one season. That was a monumental task, even if their writing fell short in a few places.

XAL

not mentioned outright, it was something Jon and Sam thought of while reading.

Yeah, we did know about valyrian steel before. Quote from ADWD:

"I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."
"Dragonsteel?" The term was new to Jon. "Valyrian steel?"
"That was my first thought as well."

It was an account recorded in a book in Castle Black's library.

We already knew. Sam already knew, Jon already knew. If they knew dragonglass (Obsidian) could kill a White Walker, and they had a historical account that Dragonsteel (Valyrian Stee) killed White Walkers....I'm sure they're capable of making the logical leap.

IT IS KNOWN

The Valyrian steel thing actually gives them a really good reason for sending Sam to Oldtown. Jon knows that someone has to figure out how to make for it, and that library is their best bet.

Also, knowing what's coming in the next few episodes, I totally think this season would have held up to season 3/4 level quality had they not flubbed on Dorne and Sansa. I'm impressed with the structure they came up with to fit this in one season. That was a monumental task, even if their writing fell short in a few places.

I think the end result of Jaime in Dorne will be good, I just don't think they had any idea of how to get him there without spending a bunch of time on it.

Sheroking

The viewer needs to be convinces he's dead when it happens.

Well, the readers weren't and everyone is just going to run to google and figure that out.

It was an empty cliff-hanger, one of those things that happens to keep Jon at the wall or Dany out of Westeros. It's getting frustrating. Would be satisfying if the show just swerved.

I noticed that as well, I guess that's what the show is calling him.
Wasn't it "Night's King" in the old credits leak though? Unless I'm remembering it wrong, I think he just isn't sure what he's talking about.

Yeah, it was "Night's King" on the press release lol. I guess they could have changed it since, but I think that guys just an idiot.

RangersFan

Just watched the episode....

Woah...

That was fucking awesome. As much as the show has deviated from the books, and many sub par episodes and cringe worthy moments this season had, that was FUCKING GREAT. OMG FANTASTIC.

Turin

Banned
Well, the readers weren't and everyone is just going to run to google and figure that out.

It was an empty cliff-hanger, one of those things that happens to keep Jon at the wall or Dany out of Westeros. It's getting frustrating. Would be satisfying if the show just swerved.

Why? Readers weren't.

Anyone got a gif of the wights crashing down from the cliff and getting up?

Of course everyone will figure out what's up but what I mean is that at the moment it happens it needs to strike a feeling of dread in the audience. It did me when I read it.

I agree that it would be better to just resurrect him at the end.

Definitely the best episode of the season, that expression the white walker when Jon blocked his blow with Longclaw was great. Confirms character speculation from the books though it was pretty obvious that "dragon steel" was going to be that.

It reminds me of something out of Arrow for some reason... Probably the shape.

Oliver Queen wasn't always on the island, spent time in Westeros, was involved with the Night's King, Diggle is pissed, ect.

Wait... That kid at the Night's Watch is named "Olly"... Son of a bitch.

I watched the episode with people in my residence. It's like I'm the only one who roots for the White Walkers/Others, because I believe that tinfoil
that they're not the evil beings that they're portrayed as.
I just can't buy that with all the Grays in the series he'd end with a big evil bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom