• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty clear the whole point of this is foreshadowing dragon glass/steel the important part is the dragon thing.

Obsidian is called frozen fire, made by volcanos and dragon's breath, same with Valaryian Steel.

The Dragons are the real weapon against the white walkers.
Will probably require some Children of the Forest hocus pocus to get the thing done. Children + dragons = winning team.

Speevy

Banned
Next week Ramsay will flay the three-eyed raven guy because Reek went and blabbed.

The power that powers Ramsay has power everywhere.

Just saw the rerun.

Holy shit!

That was a great episode. I think I read this synopsis a while back, looks like it was true.

Bone chilling episode!

Jetman

Yeah, kind of confused by next episode preview showing the Wildlings on the other side of The Wall. Why wouldn't they just sail to Eastwatch? And it's not mentioned but I'm going to assume that's where Jon got his ships from?

Maengun1

I had all but given up on the show this season, but last week was really good and this episode was oh my god that was so fucking awesome *passes out*.

The show overall has devolved from near perfection in season 1 to a very mixed bag (IMO, of course), but damn I'm back to being invested. That episode was....so good. They've got my 10 weeks of attention per year if we even get 1 episode on this level.

j-wood

Holy shit. That episode was incredible. I'm only a few chapters into a dance with dragons, was this episode authentic to the book?

Pkaz01

I didn't want the Tyrion and Dany scenes to end. I liked how much credit Tyrion gave to Varys and I find it interesting that he actually admits to trusting him so much compared to book tyrion who was still trying to fuck him over. Also interesting that he doesn't mention Dorne at all went listing the major kingdoms. Probably didn't want to ruin the Dorne reveal next week or in the finale.

Lena was fantastic in the cersei scenes, she is going batshit.

Lana of the docks is not as cool as cat of the canals, but it was interesting that Jaqen basically told the waif it didn't matter to the many faced god if she was ready to become no one or not as long as she did the assignment. Totally have a plan for Arya stark whether she is no one or not.

Rather loved this shot:

c6rsUjQ.gif

Holy shit. That episode was incredible. I'm only a few chapters into a dance with dragons, was this episode authentic to the book?
Jon doesn't even make it to Hardhome in the book, we basically have no idea what happens there.

I've previously speculated that the Faceless Men are probably working for the White Walkers, even if they don't directly know it.

They worship the God of Death, or the very concept of death. Melisandre has made it very clear in the books (not the show, unfortunately), that the Lord of Light has an opposite, a Lord of Darkness who empowers the White Walkers and their undead army. Even though Wights are "resurrected", they are very much dead, not like those resurrected through the Lord of Light's powers.

Melisandre also makes it clear when speaking to Davos that the Lord of Darkness has human agents who pursue his will unseen in the normal world. Who are these people? Have none of them been introduced yet? I find that highly unlikely. Who seems interested in engendering chaos in the world?

Aside from the obvious choices of Euron and Littlefinger, you have the mysterious group of the Faceless Men.

Why are they in Oldtown sneaking around? I think they have some vested interest in sabotaging Dany's return to Westeros. If you recall, their religion began because of the subjugation of people by the Valyrians. They are now a death cult who sacrifice their individuality to offer the gift of death to those who want it or are willing to trade their humanity for it. Why else would they be spying on Marwyn, who wants to help Dany?
I wouldn't put much stock into any of these. There's no reason to think R'hllor actually exists, let alone a "Great Other". Mel, though she means well, also tends to be really stupid about what she sees and misinterpret things. She's also made it "very clear" that Stannis is the chosen savior of Westeros, even when her fires keep showing Jon snow for some reason lol. I mean she thinks Bran is an agent of the Great Other too, and he almost got eaten by zombies until Jojen saved the day by exploding.

There also isn't a connection between "light=life" and "dark=death", which I think you're suggesting with the Faceless Men? All of Mel's magic requires death to operate properly, and making shadows ages you incredibly. Conversely Bloodraven shows the darkness can be a source of comfort, protection, and life through the use of Weirwoods. There's probably blood in there too, but it's not that black and white.

Confirmation of that fact actually drastically raises the chances of the few characters wielding Valyrian steel being endgame (mostly talking about Brienne here).
I really hope not haha

Joffrey could have saved them all with his Valyrian steel. The true king Westeros deserved.

Confirmation of that fact actually drastically raises the chances of the few characters wielding Valyrian steel being endgame (mostly talking about Brienne here).

foxtrot3d

Banned

No. Hardhome happens "offscreen."

Yeah, kind of confused by next episode preview showing the Wildlings on the other side of The Wall. Why wouldn't they just sail to Eastwatch? And it's not mentioned but I'm going to assume that's where Jon got his ships from?

It's the show, can't confuse the audience with different castles and keeps. Afterall, they are merging Tormund's gathering of the Wildings with Cotter Pyke's attempt at Hardhome.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Will probably require some Children of the Forest hocus pocus to get the thing done. Children + dragons = winning team.

I don't know, the Three Eyed Crow/Bran story seems a bit bigger somehow. Like Bloodraven isn't the first "three eyed crow" and it's just a line of succession type of thing, independent of the other story. The Old Gods may not be gods at all, just souls or remnants of Wargs inside the Weirwood Trees.

Like what can Bran actually do when he's looking through the trees, hundreds of miles north of the wall? What will actually happen with that story thread other than...a way for the reader to see things as they happened years and years ago?

We get reports of the battle at Hardhome, but we don't see it first hand, because Jon did not go. In the show they always bring in an existing character into the fight so the audience is more invested in the outcome.

-griffy-

Banned
Jon borrowed boats from Stannis, I believe.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Two other things:

1. I thought the Others armor was supposed to be special, like made of ice or something. I remember a costume designer a while back letting slip when talking about the "Night's King" about how their armor was like unique and old and came from an ancient civilization which they built on top of.

2. Did anyone else think that despite the awesome action stuff the soundtrack during that scene was lame? Sounded like some cliche' Hollywood action music complete with horro string screeches.

Thought the Walker that Jon killed looked a little too costumey rather than otherworldly, but the rest of the battle was so damn good it's OK.

Great episode. It's real obvious that Olly is going to kill Jon. And then he will "come back" like Sam said.

hoos30

That was awesome. Can't wait for this week's "Book vs Show" meme.

The Book: Shit happens off screen to characters we don't know.

The Show: That just happened.

The audio was stright ridiculous this episode and I'm happy Tormund survived. Was hoping the wildling chieftaness would survive too bit oh well.

Not really..

Sansa doesn't know about Bran and Rickon. Ramsay and 20 men doesn't even come up at least from my memory. Plus the Valyrian steel reveal was huge

hoos30

Two other things:

1. I thought the Others armor was supposed to be special, like made of ice or something. I remember a costume designer a while back letting slip when talking about the "Night's King" about how their armor was like unique and old and came from an ancient civilization which they built on top of.

2. Did anyone else think that despite the awesome action stuff the soundtrack during that scene was lame? Sounded like some cliche' Hollywood action music complete with horro string screeches.

2. Nope. Especially since they went with silence during the closing scene. Nice touch.

Thaedolus

Two other things:

My main complaints about how the Others (White Walkers) have been portrayed is that:

1. They're not supposed to be some ugly haggard looking things, they're sort of beautiful in a cold icy way and,
2. Their armor is supposed to be sort of invisible/mirror type shit. I kind of imagined something like Predator cloaking.

The show has them look like evil McEvilstein. I'd have preferred the book style.

Otherwise, excellent

Row, row, row your boat motherf#$%&%s! Seriously, I would have bounced the second I saw a white walker.

Vaylerian or not, shit would have been a paddle.

So I just rewatched the battle. Dear god the set up for a potential Jon vs Nights King fight is unreal. The way he watches Jon kill one of the Others and then their stare down during the last scene. Its like they both see each other as "final adversaries" like they know they will fight.

Screw it, rewatching that battle Jon is living. There is just too much set up for their showdown.

Altazor

We already knew valryian steel killed others right?

I could have sworn it was in the books.

not mentioned outright, it was something Jon and Sam thought of while reading.

Yeah, we did know about valyrian steel before. Quote from ADWD:

"I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."
"Dragonsteel?" The term was new to Jon. "Valyrian steel?"
"That was my first thought as well."

dubq

We already knew valryian steel killed others right?

I could have sworn it was in the books.

I believe it is theorized in the books, as texts state that the Others have a weakness to "dragonsteel". It's not ever actually tested like it is on the show. At least not yet.

Speevy

Banned
Not really..

Sansa doesn't know about Bran and Rickon. Ramsay and 20 men doesn't even come up at least from my memory. Plus the Valyrian steel reveal was huge

Joffrey might have figured it out too if Tyrion had given him a whitewalker as a wedding present.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I found the exact line for people asking about Valyrian Steel and the Others:

ADWD said:
"The armor of the Others is proof against most ordinary blades, if the tales can be believed, and their own swords are so cold they shatter steel. Fire will dismay them, though, and they are vulnerable to obsidian. I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."
"Dragonsteel?" The term was new to Jon. "Valyrian steel?"
"That was my first thought as well."

EDIT:

Beaten like a Wildling at Hardhome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom