• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drazgul

Anyone else thinking the twist, if you could call it that, is that White Walkers are essentially Ra's al ghul, here to clean the filth that is what society in Westeros has become, and restore balance, or something

First Men coming back to purge Westeros from the heretic faith that is the Seven.

guys from Mastadon were in that episode

http://pitchfork.com/news/59777-mastodon-portray-wildlings-on-game-of-thrones/

Mastodon band members Brann Dailor, Bill Kelliher, and Brent Hinds portrayed "wildlings" on tonight's episode of "Game of Thrones", which was filmed in Belfast in Northern Ireland. As previously reported, the band's original song "White Walker" is featured on the "Game of Thrones" mixtape Catch the Throne Vol. 2, but in the instance of their physical appearance, a press release from Reprise Records reports that the band was personally invited to participate in the show by "Game of Thrones" executive producer Dan Weiss, who is a fan of the band.

Brann Dailor said of the experience:

It was such an incredible experience to be on set as extras for our collective favorite show Game Of Thrones and to be wildlings murdered and then brought back to life by White Walkers was beyond amazing. I watched my best friends Brent and Bill, murdered right in front of me as I myself was stabbed in the stomach and had my throat slit multiple times, and I didn't mind at all. It made me love being in Mastodon even more. We are more than privileged and honored to have been a part of one of the greatest stories ever told on film, and the catering wasn't bad either.

1Bpg4xq.jpg

2JUBMQh.jpg

might have been old news but i had no idea

Pkaz01

Did Ayra already poison that guy? I thought she had until I compared the giant pitcher of stuff she dumped on the Osyter with the tiny bottle she was given.

I thought the same thing, but now i don't know if she will actually use it on the insurance guy or use it on Meryn trant. I hope she takes both of them out instead of failing on her very first assignment.

cj_iwakura

It's a damn shame we aren't getting more of the Prince and Hotah, they nailed their interaction from the first glimpse of them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty good episode. Probably the best of the season. The battle at the end was pretty exciting and definitely the best action sequence the show has done thus far (though that really isn't saying much).

Random thoughts:

I love Cat of the Canals' Princess Leia lite hair-do. She looks totally fab.

"A feast for the crows" YAS RAMSAY

WUN WUN!!! He's everything I wanted him to be <3

I really didn't like the way the NK looked this episode. His first appearance looked like a dude in prosthetics (i.e. more convincing and creepier) but tonight he looked like a muddy CGI, almost two-dimensional, piece of fanart. What the fuck happened?

I wasn't a fan of the super fast videogamey Left 4 Dead style zombies, where they're like crawling up walls and shit like bugs. They're just not scary to me. The only fast zombies that are legit scary are the ones in the 28 _ Later movies, and even then it only works because it's a modern day setting (so you can better relate to the characters who are in peril) and because they're more human looking. Skeletons just aren't scary.

It's kind of crazy how they managed to develop that Wildling woman into more of a three-dimensional character in just a couple of scenes than some of the other characters who have been on the show for multiple seasons.

Wildlings have sick camo.

Were they all wearing the same outfits?

I was trying to figure out where they got the money to shoot that entire sequence. Then... I remembered the rest of this season. Lol.

D:

Nothing explicitly confirmed, but I know you are trying to stay book pure. It was a fantastic episode, but you may want to consider steering clear.

Thanks for your concern, but I didn't think anything in that episode was spoilery.

And then Brienne comes in and saves him right?
Stannis is busy fending off Ramsay and his men

Brienne awkwardly stumbles in on the fight

Pod: "It's Stannis Baratheon my lady! You hate him!"

Brienne: "I see that Pod. I must kill him for Renly!"

Stannis dies and everyone keeps hating Brienne

Brienne would never do that to someone. She doesn't want revenge that badly.
She would totally kill him though. One of the reasons I'm convinced he will die (nooo) is because one of Brienne's only lines of dialogue this season was

Pod: "Did you like Renly m'lady?"
Brienne: "Yes. And he was murdered by Stannis. I will kill Stannis, I vowed to kill Stannis."

In case you forgot about what happened in season 2.

Jetman

So when the "ice fog" was first rolling in over Hardhome, it wasn't just normal undead killing all of the wildlings on the outside, right? After everything goes silent and the Thenn walks up to the gate you can hear loud, footfalls outside and see a shadow move to the left. Was that a zombie giant? Ice spider?

So the endgame for Arya seems like it will be she will have to, once she gets "No One" status, have to kill an important Stark, be it Jon 2 or Bran or whomever, no?

(going off of the speculation that the Faceless Men are agents of the Lord of Darkness)

Which, reminds me, the Faceless Men were one of the "evil powers" that totally skeeved Varys out earlier in the show, when talking to Tyrion about the majicks from the East. He sorta lumped in the Red priestesses, but he was especially concerned about them, IIRC.

Stannis is busy fending off Ramsay and his men

Brienne awkwardly stumbles in on the fight

Pod: "It's Stannis Baratheon my lady! You hate him!"

Brienne: "I see that Pod. I must kill him for Renly!"

Stannis dies and everyone keeps hating Brienne

Well I feel like they may be steering Brienne into making the 'Jamie Decision'
Doing something that is right that she will be vilified for. I don't thing killing Stannis is that decision though.

kirblar

I thought it was interesting that Tyrion mentioned that the Tyrells were someone who might be convinced to ally with Dany.

He can't know about what's going on there and he's perceptive about people so maybe it's a bit of foreshadowing?
The Tyrells have switched sides once before - they're pragmatists and thus approachable.

Speevy

Banned
It's kind of crazy how they managed to develop that Wildling woman into more of a three-dimensional character in just a couple of scenes than some of the other characters who have been on the show for multiple seasons.

That's exactly what I said. I learned about her back story, what she felt about the night's watch, how she loved the children of her village, how she couldn't bring herself to kill the white walkers who looked like children.

And now she's gone. And Obara lives. It's not fair.

I can see a situation where Brienne would be divided between her loyalty for Renly and her loyalty for Catelyn Stark but I doubt this is the time where this is going to happen.

I mean for all we know she's going to try to keep staring that wall to death.

So the endgame for Arya seems like it will be she will have to, once she gets "No One" status, have to kill an important Stark, be it Jon 2 or Bran or whomever, no?

(going off of the speculation that the Faceless Men are agents of the Lord of Darkness)
Mel thinks Bran is an agent of the "Lord of Darkness" so probably not him. I think she'll just go rogue or something, or maybe steal a dragon egg.

I hope that speculation isn't right, that's really stupid haha.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's exactly what I said. I learned about her back story, what she felt about the night's watch, how she loved the children of her village, how she couldn't bring herself to kill the white walkers who looked like children.

And now she's gone. And Obara lives. It's not fair.

I mean, shit. Like, how?

Speevy

Banned
I can see a situation where Brienne would be divided between her loyalty for Renly and her loyalty for Catelyn Stark but I doubt this is the time where this is going to happen.

I mean for all we know she's going to try to keep staring that wall to death.

Hang on Pod. Any day now she'll light that candle.

*Stannis attacks*

Any day now Pod.

*Littlefinger/Vale/Lannister take it back*

Just be patient.

*Dany's army of Dothraki and Unsullied take it*

Okay, almost ready.

*Whitewalkers attack, everyone dies*

Mel thinks Bran is an agent of the "Lord of Darkness" so probably not him. I think she'll just go rogue or something, or maybe steal a dragon egg.

Well, considering there were whites trying to kill Bran before he got to the cave, and the children of the forest are there with them, I would guess not, so Arya could still be sent after him.

But it would be interesting, because, as No One, she would have to retake her old face (which would be very TV friendly) in order to get close to the targeted Stark.

(Then Rickon eats her)

Oh yeah, it looks like they mixed together some of Arya's story there unless I'm forgetting something, so much for whatshername being a potential Val analog.

Well, considering there were whites trying to kill Bran before he got to the cave, and the children of the forest are there with them, I would guess not, so Arya could still be sent after him.

But it would be interesting, because, as No One, she would have to retake her old face (which would be very TV friendly) in order to get close to the targeted Stark.

(Then Rickon eats her)
Yeah, I think the most you can gather from that is that Mel doesn't know what she's talking about when she mentions a "Great Other" or his "Agents", and therefore neither of those things should be taken seriously. Because she's the only one who brings it up, and like you said she was pretty clearly wrong.

Pretty good episode. Probably the best of the season. The battle at the end was pretty exciting and definitely the best action sequence the show has done thus far (though that really isn't saying much).

I hope you're just talking about this season.

Which, reminds me, the Faceless Men were one of the "evil powers" that totally skeeved Varys out earlier in the show, when talking to Tyrion about the majicks from the East. He sorta lumped in the Red priestesses, but he was especially concerned about them, IIRC.

The show hasn't introduced this concept, so maybe. But in the books faceless men aren't sent to kill people they know. Though I doubt the Faceless Men are working with the white walkers.

I hope you're just talking about this season.
That would be ridiculous if he's not lol. Compare to all the character moments in the Blackwater. Even the Wildling attack had great stuff with Slynt, Sam, Grenn, Ygritte, Tormund, everybody. In this battle you saw cool special effects while a lady died, and the thing we learned about Jon's character is that he has a magic sword.

Although it did probably make everyone love Wun Wun which is good, and it introduced Ice Ganondorf.

Speevy

Banned
Preview talk

I wonder what surprises Melisandre. It's either Stannis telling her he's made a decision, or Stannis' men taking her into custody so she can be returned to Castle Black.

Speevy

Banned
If Sansa married Rickon, that would the Starkest fucking Winterfell in the history of the seven kingdoms.

Their incest babies would be actual talking direwolves that could walk upright.

Preview talk

I wonder what surprises Melisandre. It's either Stannis telling her he's made a decision, or Stannis' men taking her into custody so she can be returned to Castle Black.
She's shocked at how quickly Stannis' army breaks from the attack of Ramsey's dogs.

TripOpt55

Awesome episode. Easily the best of the season. The final fight sequence was amazing. Seeing the wights climb on the giant and him flinging them around. The bit with all the wights jumping over the cliff. The Wildling mother. The Valyrian Steel working against the Walker. Great sequence.

I liked all of the scenes this episode though. I thought Tyrion and Dany's were good after a lackluster first meet last week. The first episode I have been wholly satisfied with this season. And I feel like the last two should have a ton of great stuff too. Should be a fun finish.

I still want the Night King to have a better motive than just "kill them all and destroy everything", though that is very unlikely. Something like Azor Ahai cast a spell on him and now he's that way forever.

DAMN YOU woman. Couldn't you see the dogs in the flames? What does the lord of light say about dogs?

Melisandre: He said "Who let the dogs out?", milord.

Cersei's in jail, all hail Kevan and Ser Strong

Arya is gonna kill some dude she sold oysters too

Sansa got Reek to spill the beans about Rickon (who?) and Bran

Ramsay got bored of waiting and is taking 20 dudes to go fuck up Stannis

Jorah got sent away and is now fighting in the pits, Tyrion told funny jokes and Dany decided she's going to kill everyone in Westeros.

Jon killed some zombies and fought Ganondorf in Hardhome, but escaped with a few wildlings

He will probably win as well hahah

Turin

Banned
RIP, Wildling Chieftainess. We hardly knew ye. :(

photo.jpg

Let's take a vote guys.

Winners dance with dragons, losers feast on crow.

Does the Mannis make it through episodes 9 and 10?

I say he lives.

I'll keep track of the votes.

I say he lives and burns Ramsay alive.

*fingers crossed*

cj_iwakura

Stannis will live, but we're not getting a resolution. This is going to be a stalemate. Whatever Ramsey does holds the Baratheon army back somehow, and they'll be in a bad way, but not out.

this season's mostly been a slog but this episode definitely gave it a jolt, that was an entertaining final 10-15 minutes. best battle the show has had.

wtf at jon's squire though. is he the writer's son or some shit? I swear the camera has given him focus in every episode set in castle black lol.

Pennywise

Random thoughts:

I love Cat of the Canals' Princess Leia lite hair-do. She looks totally fab.

"A feast for the crows" YAS RAMSAY

WUN WUN!!! He's everything I wanted him to be <3

I really didn't like the way the NK looked this episode. His first appearance looked like a dude in prosthetics (i.e. more convincing and creepier) but tonight he looked like a muddy CGI, almost two-dimensional, piece of fanart. What the fuck happened?

I wasn't a fan of the super fast videogamey Left 4 Dead style zombies, where they're like crawling up walls and shit like bugs. They're just not scary to me. The only fast zombies that are legit scary are the ones in the 28 _ Later movies, and even then it only works because it's a modern day setting (so you can better relate to the characters who are in peril) and because they're more human looking. Skeletons just aren't scary.

I agree.
That super fast skeletons and zombie shit ruined alot of the mood.
Plus that it wasn't necessary to let them "eat" their victims...
Looked like a cheap ripoff from World War Z and that is already a pretty shitty movie...
Sadly they set up the standard for that with the Jojen scene.

Also that they could be killed so easily, I mean fire wasn't available everywhere, but the wildlings should know how to fight these "zombies".

Anyway, I liked the speech and how they build up the wildlings with a bit of depth.
Especially the woman you mentioned, kinda telling that they pulled this off while they fail with characters that got a shitload of great stuff they could leech from.

The Ramsay scenes were not really necessary and I hope they don't pull another Yara.
Overall the quality has gone up as the season passed in this was certainly one of the better episodes, I just hope they don't just continue with the scenes where only death is a shock.
This has been one of the major points of the show that's ruining a big part of the experience.

JCreasy

Any thoughts on who that hooded character in the boat is? I'm at a complete loss.

They were clearly setting up a big reveal.

The only important characters north of the wall are Bran and Benjen.

Who could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom