• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruined the mood?!

What threat would they be if you could slowly march the wildlings away?
They're ONLY scary because they are so fast and brutal

Iksenpets

Banned
You can see Stannis' camp burning in the preview. How could Melisandre conclude that anyone other than Ramsay is the lord's chosen?

Wait, so that confirms Ramsay's raid is in 9, but we know Stannis is in the episode 10 description. So whatever happens, Stannis at least survives this raid.

Speevy

Banned
Wait, so that confirms Ramsay's raid is in 9, but we know Stannis is in the episode 10 description. So whatever happens, Stannis at least survives this raid.

But to what extent? Is he leading an army or going on a jolly buddy romp across the countryside?

Hamlet

this season's mostly been a slog but this episode definitely gave it a jolt, that was an entertaining final 10-15 minutes. best battle the show has had.

wtf at jon's squire though. is he the writer's son or some shit? I swear the camera has given him focus in every episode set in castle black lol.

Gotta make sure the audience is familiar enough with him when they go for the shock value of having Olly the kid be the first one to stab Jon in the back.

Pennywise

Ruined the mood?!

The Wildlings we're already trapped either way, the sheer number of "zombies" and the dead end with only some ships was already scary enough.

Let's not forget how fast they were when they attacked Mormont.

With their current speed they could catch Usain Bolt and how on earth would be any wildling alive, if they're so mobile...

Speevy

Banned
Sam is absolutely terrible at convincing people of something.

Olly basically said "Give me a reason not to hate Jon."

Sam is like "Jon's cool. He knows better than you. Don't worry kid."

Gotta make sure the audience is familiar enough with him when they go for the shock value of having Olly the kid be the first one to stab Jon in the back.

Et tu Olly?

that's obviously gonna be the finale cliffhanger but i dunno how they're gonna keep his survival (or death) a surprise for season 6

It's not really SHOCK value if they foreshadow it like that. I mean, D&D are total hacks, we just need to be sure we know how they will fuck everything up.

Speevy

Banned
If Cersei confesses to treason, incest, and the murder of King Robert, doesn't that put Tommen's rule in jeopardy unless the faith is dismantled immediately?

Iksenpets

Banned
If Cersei confesses to treason, incest, and the murder of King Robert, doesn't that put Tommen's rule in jeopardy unless the faith is dismantled immediately?

She would have to confess to sex with Lancel but nothing else. That way you get the walk for the lesser crime, and the trial by combat for the regicide claim.

Speevy

Banned
I've always wondered what a supreme ruler of zombies gets out of populating the entire world with these things. It's not like they'll advance any new civilization.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I mean, they're a horde of undead soldiers. They can keep fighting even with missing limbs, etc. And there are an almost inexhaustible supply of them.

How is that not scary (for the characters)? Do they really need to be suped up Left 4 Dead meets Ray Harryhausen skeletons in order to seem like a threat?

Turin

Banned
Zombie's are rarely scary anyway. I loved the frantic pace of it.

That scene with the Chieftainess and the children was chilling.

I've always wondered what a supreme ruler of zombies gets out of populating the entire world with these things. It's not like they'll advance any new civilization.

Cleansing the planet? I don't know. I hope we get to hear the Night's King speak eventually.

Speevy

Banned
I mean, they're a horde of undead soldiers. They can keep fighting even with missing limbs, etc. And there are an almost inexhaustible supply of them.

How is that not scary (for the characters)? Do they really need to be suped up Left 4 Dead meets Ray Harryhausen skeletons in order to seem like a threat?

If they went at season 2 finale speed they wouldn't have time for the episode.

My guess is once they've conquered they can let them die for good and the sentient ones among them can have some sort of civilization.

Damerman

I sincerly find this argument unnecessary and ultimately frivolous. Just absolutely no basis for this argument. I really dont get why they need to move slower.

Speevy

Banned
Ever since 28 Days Later (maybe before), zombies must run at full speed. Shambling zombies aren't scary anymore unless you're trapped in a house.

Preview talk

I wonder what surprises Melisandre. It's either Stannis telling her he's made a decision, or Stannis' men taking her into custody so she can be returned to Castle Black.

"I don't have to take my shirt off this episode?!?!?!?!?"

duckroll

Sam is absolutely terrible at convincing people of something.

Olly basically said "Give me a reason not to hate Jon."

Sam is like "Jon's cool. He knows better than you. Don't worry kid."

No, it's worse than that. Olly was like "I'm really conflicted, I don't want to betray Jon because he's the Lord Commander and that would be wrong, but I just hate the Wildlings so much..."

And Sam went "Follow your heart. Even if it means you have to do something which might be wrong."

Lol.

kirblar

No, it's worse than that. Olly was like "I'm really conflicted, I don't want to betray Jon because he's the Lord Commander and that would be wrong, but I just hate the Wildlings so much..."

And Sam went "Follow your heart. Even if it means you have to do something which might be wrong."

Lol.
I love the "Do what your heart tells you" "GOOD GOD MAN DONT DO THAT" trope.

I don't have a clear sense of this on the show but how often do they seem to telegraph things that don't turn out to true? They're laying this Olly stuff heavy enough that I can see him not doing it.

I think they've laid some groundwork for either the Boltons or Stannis coming out on top so I don't think the hinting is too heavy either way on that.

Speevy

Banned
I don't have a clear sense of this on the show but how often do they seem to telegraph things that don't turn out to true? They're laying this Olly stuff heavy enough that I can see him not doing it.

I think they've laid some groundwork for either the Boltons or Stannis coming out on top so I don't think the hinting is too heavy either way on that.

They established Roose's brilliant command amounts to doing nothing while his silent advisers agree with him, until his son with no military experience suggests what would sound to any sane person like a suicide mission.

foxtrot3d

Banned
They established Roose's brilliant command amounts to doing nothing while his silent advisers agree with him, until his son with no military experience suggests what would sound to any sane person like a suicide mission.

Against a proven battle commander, a man who beat the fucking Iron Born AT SEA!

So has the Greyjoy storyline been abandoned? Seems quite a few have... We will be ahead of the books by the end of the season for all "main" storylines

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow.... This episode had it all, totally redeemed the show for me... Dany and Tyrion interactions were great and the Hardhone battle was just... Damn.

Cercei, Sansa and Area scenes were great as well... What an episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ever since 28 Days Later (maybe before), zombies must run at full speed. Shambling zombies aren't scary anymore unless you're trapped in a house.

I never said they should be shambling zombies. It's not an either-or scenario. It's just that tidal waves of super fast crawling-up-the-walls skeletons look stupid to me. It's like watching a cutscene from a video game.

methodman

Banned
I never said they should be shambling zombies. It's not an either-or scenario. It's just that tidal waves of super fast crawling-up-the-walls skeletons look stupid to me. It's like watching a cutscene from a video game.
Yeah.. They should have just lit themselves on Fire and burned the wall down

Partition

Banned
this season's mostly been a slog but this episode definitely gave it a jolt, that was an entertaining final 10-15 minutes. best battle the show has had.

wtf at jon's squire though. is he the writer's son or some shit? I swear the camera has given him focus in every episode set in castle black lol.

they are trying really hard to foreshadow his role in for the watch

They're going to do something fucking stupid with Ramsay, I see. 20 men...

Maybe they'll burn the supply lines. How they could get into a massive protected camp and do that....sigh. I suppose the storm would help such a plan but still. Not looking forward to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom