• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

So dumb question, but are whitewalkers allergic to water or something? I don't get why they didn't just rush Snow and kill him as he was very, very, very slowly rowing away from them in his dinky little boat.

Yep, for example I remember in the Land of the dead movie how the zombies just walked on the seafloor until they reached their destination, they could do the same here. It's either just dramatic purpose or child-of-the-forest-first-men-wall-magic thingy. I'm guessing the former xD

Jon doesn't even make it to Hardhome in the book, we basically have no idea what happens there.

I wouldn't put much stock into any of these. There's no reason to think R'hllor actually exists, let alone a "Great Other". Mel, though she means well, also tends to be really stupid about what she sees and misinterpret things.

This isn't a Melisandre thing, this is a basic tenant of their religion. Moqorro says the same. There are not many Gods, just two. And we've seen far too much done by the various red priests (including Thoros) to doubt that something is powering their various feats.

I'm willing to bet that R'hllor and the Great Other exist, but not in a banal good vs evil kind of way. They're probably Eldrich Abominations, far beyond the understanding of mankind or the concerns of "the people", interested only in battling one another. The way the Doom of Valryia is described, it sounds like the kind of thing an angry Red God would do, no?

She's also made it "very clear" that Stannis is the chosen savior of Westeros, even when her fires keep showing Jon snow for some reason lol. I mean she thinks Bran is an agent of the Great Other too, and he almost got eaten by zombies until Jojen saved the day by exploding.

Mel's chapters reveal that despite the power given to her, she's just kinda bad at her job. She has warped all of her interpretations to fit the conclusion that Stannis is the chosen one. Benerro and Moqorro receive similar visions and they (correctly?) interpret that Azor Ahai is Dany. If the Red God doesn't exist, who is sending these visions? What is their purpose?

There also isn't a connection between "light=life" and "dark=death", which I think you're suggesting with the Faceless Men? All of Mel's magic requires death to operate properly, and making shadows ages you incredibly. Conversely Bloodraven shows the darkness can be a source of comfort, protection, and life through the use of Weirwoods. There's probably blood in there too, but it's not that black and white.

The Red Priest's powers require sacrifice, not simply death. Sacrifices of blood and fire.

Consider also, The Black Goat of Qohor is one of the many international death Gods seen as an aspect of the Many Faced God by the faceless men. The red priests tried to burn a statue of it in Qohor (revealed in AFFC). As a whole, they consider a release from the pain of the world as a gift.

I don't know where Bran and Bloodraven fit into what's going on up North, but I'm going to assume that they are trying to recreate the conditions that defeated the White Walkers in the first place. However, that's a pretty big assumption, and like Arya I'm not going to assume that Bran is being used for "good" simply because he's Bran.

Mel's chapters reveal that despite the power given to her, she's just kinda bad at her job. She has warped all of her interpretations to fit the conclusion that Stannis is the chosen one. Benerro and Moqorro receive similar visions and they (correctly?) interpret that Azor Ahai is Dany. If the Red God doesn't exist, who is sending these visions? What is their purpose?

Or what's happening is that R'hollr is giving selectively different visions to different people to get them to move the pieces to where they needed to be.

I mean, maybe R'hollr needed somebody to save Jon's ass at Castle Black and the only force would be available would be Stannis, so he needed one of his servants to get Stannis to the wall and the best way to do that is to make that servant see visions that would lead her to believe the Stannis is the chosen one. She also has to believe it so much that she'd do the magic with the shadowbaby to kill Renly because if Renly kills Stannis then nobody will save Jon.

So while Melisandre may have interpreted the visions wrong, it's entirely possible it's because the source of the visions is deliberately manipulating what is seen. Not unlike the palantir in LOTR, where all the visions are true but often lead the viewer to the wrong conclusions.

Madness

That occurred to me too. Maybe the dead can't swim for some reason? They should have taken out Jon when they had the chance. I half expected the Night King to toss an ice lance at him.

But they literally move with blizzards and snow, and freeze everything in sight. Surely they'd be able to just freeze water and walk on it like ice?

Kain

I have little doubt that R'hllor is either evil (or as we understand evil at least) or neutral with his own agenda. If literature has taught us something through history is that anyone who ressurrects the dead is up to no good: the dead being dead is the natural order of things and anything disrupting that is against Nature. And we can't beat Nature. So all the people ressurrected by the red priests are probably sleeping agents for this greater evil (SH, Victarion). The one that will break the rule will be Jon of course.

No, DBZ is not literature and doesn't count xD

Moff

there are no gods, they gods are just bloodraven making a fool of everyone and put his pieces into place to kill all men

eot

Banned
I like how they weren't even rowing in the final shots, like wtf don't you want to get away?

They're also laying on the Olly stuff a bit too thick, no way everyone won't see it coming.

cj_iwakura

Sam is absolutely terrible at convincing people of something.

Olly basically said "Give me a reason not to hate Jon."

Sam is like "Jon's cool. He knows better than you. Don't worry kid."

"The army of the dead are coming, I saw them, we need every man we can get."
"BUT THEY KILLED MY FAMILY, RAAAAA"

Kerned

Banned
Thanks for your concern, but I didn't think anything in that episode was spoilery.

Good, I'm glad you ended up watching and enjoying it. I always err on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers, so I'm glad to hear you didn't think anything crossed that line.

LifEndz

I like how they weren't even rowing in the final shots, like wtf don't you want to get away?

They're also laying on the Olly stuff a bit too thick, no way everyone won't see it coming.

Seemed like a shock and awe moment. Once the others showed they couldn't chase them into the sea it gave everyone a chance to catch their breath. And I can't blame anyone for being transfixed by the night's king emerging and raising the dead.

They are laying it on thick with Olly, but maybe it's to set up a remix where he actually saves Jon. Doubtful, but hey...
Preview stuff
finally Prince Doran and Jaine share a scene. Have no idea where they're going with Jaime's plot line, but I'm def intrigued. Ramsay better not be able to infiltrate Stannis' camp with 20 guys. God damn do I hope stannis captures and tortures that little shit.

So dumb question, but are whitewalkers allergic to water or something? I don't get why they didn't just rush Snow and kill him as he was very, very, very slowly rowing away from them in his dinky little boat.
Why bother swimming if Jon's boat would just row faster? They couldn't get him.

Everything was better than the books, which is nice.

No Dorne.
The army of the dead actually did something! This is a big missing thing from the books so far. It is hard to take them seriously as a threat when all they have done is get touched by a bit of glass and explode.

Which begs the question. Wall of ice? Speed hump of dragon glass seems like a better construction.

Arya is doing ok, long way to go there.

Sam continues to be boring, but that is at least accurate.

Stannis, about to be owned by 20 men continues to be irrelevant.

Great episode, good times.

Joni

I'm personally wondering if the different gods/religions are all the same, so like the Faceless Men who think almost everyone is worshipping the same god. With maybe the exception of the Old Gods who seem to be more nature itself.

Everything was better than the books, which is nice.

No Dorne.
The army of the dead actually did something! This is a big missing thing from the books so far. It is hard to take them seriously as a threat when all they have done is get touched by a bit of glass and explode.

Which begs the question. Wall of ice? Speed hump of dragon glass seems like a better construction.

Arya is doing ok, long way to go there.

Sam continues to be boring, but that is at least accurate.

Stannis, about to be owned by 20 men continues to be irrelevant.

Great episode, good times.

The first terrifying look we get of the army of the dead in the novels is Sam's recollection of the Fist of the First Men in Storm Of Swords. The fight takes place completely offscreen on the show (and the survivors aren't hounded for miles by the Others), which at the time was very disappointing, but it made last night's episode more impactful.

Real Hero

with a focus on the dead coming back i'm even more convinced stoneheart ends the season. Arya didn't call herself cat! That has to be a hint!

Do the army of the dead on the book shamble when they overrun people or do they really run and attack with weapons? I can't remember

I think they are slower but heavy handed. They are more terrifying for their implacable nature (even beheading doesn't really stop them) than their speed, like traditional zombies. They also have animals (like that bear at the Fist) and giants in their army now. They do fight with weapons, but they are also depicted simply ripping people and horses apart with their bare hands.

That fight using traditional zombie speed would have taken the better part of a day though, facing a larger army with walls and arrows, I can see why they went with fast zombies for the show. Surprised none of the wildlings had flaming arrows at least, though it was a sneak attack.

Zocano

Enjoyed the episode but I thought the chieftainess character came off as really predictable and lame. Soon as she was wishing her kids off I knew she was gonna die and I rolled my eyes. Then they go and kill her because she got petrified by fear by seeing wight kids. Just came off as really predictable and consistent with most of the show exclusive content.

The battle was fun but I feel like show watchers just get attached to action and equate it with quality. That's just the feeling I get from here and the other thread. I'm not trying to be all nofunallowed.jpg but there was a lot more that I liked in this episode than a big fight scene. Cersei is still my fav and I want her to succeed but I know that won't really be the case. Dany and Tyrion scenes are great and Jorah is still my favorite beta. Hope to see more really good scenes like those.

Finally a great episode, what a bumpy ride this season has been.

Kudos to Kit as well, he carries those kind of scenes really well. He may be prettier than my sister but he can play a believable, relatable badass action hero.

Wow the boat was in that one spot for so long while the blue Darth Maul did his hocus pocus, they could have easily waded through the water to attack Jon. Bravo D+D failing basic physics.

Someone posted the wildling actresses imdb above, I couldn't place her but now that I know she's the German girl from Pitch Perfect 2 I'm damn sad she didn't get more screen time. Even though she's the bad guy, she's so hot the main character in PP2 nearly goes gay for her.

arya was cool, braavos canals looked really good and I am glad they introduced the coins, at this point it feels almost refreshing to have a scene, or rather an idea, that is directly from the books, I expect that assassination to be pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure they're setting arya up to kill him via poisoned clams/oysters/cockles instead of a coin. And if that's right it's disappointing that they keep wanting to change things just to be different.

Kyougar

*While Dany flies away*
*Jorah looks heartbroken into the air after killing 1337 Sons of the Harpy in the pit*
And Tyrion says to Jorah: "You know Jorah, that really was a Dance with Dragons™"

Sayad

What a great episode, one of the best in the show.
They are laying it on thick with Olly, but maybe it's to set up a remix where he actually saves Jon. Doubtful, but hey...
Preview stuff
finally Prince Doran and Jaine share a scene. Have no idea where they're going with Jaime's plot line, but I'm def intrigued. Ramsay better not be able to infiltrate Stannis' camp with 20 guys. God damn do I hope stannis captures and tortures that little shit.
Would love to see him end in Mel's fire.

Kain

But in all seriousness, what is Jorah's plan exactly?

Fight in front of her again for... reasons. Either he infects everyone in the city or he wants to die with her face being the last thing he'll see or whatever. In the end Drogon will come and burn the pits, so it doesn't matter.

Moff

Why is no one asking the important question of...Did Tormund kill Rattleshirt?!?!?

But in all seriousness, what is Jorah's plan exactly?

after dany banished him again I fully expected him to go all victarion and team up with euron in season 6, I still expect it to happen but he will probebly just be at the pit when dany flies away. but he won't give up, he can't. he will find another way to meet her over and over again. afte euron he will probably team up with the night's king just to be able to confront her again.

qBnJ9VJ.gif

God I just love the reaction of both Jon and the WW.
Jon: Holy shit, I'm not dead.
WW: Holy shit, he's not dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom