• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
They're going to do something fucking stupid with Ramsay, I see. 20 men...

Maybe they'll burn the supply lines. How they could get into a massive protected camp and do that....sigh. I suppose the storm would help such a plan but still. Not looking forward to this.

He is Ramsay. Kneel before him and be flayed.

omg_mjd

So far I'm glad with how the show has diverged from the books. I still hold the books in high regard but the show is its own thing now and mostly its been for the better.

Also, I'm impressed by how the show has conveyed Tyrion's charisma. Dany's acceptance of him is utterly credible.

RIP lady wildling. I knew she wasn't long for this world as soon as they showed her saying goodbye to her kids (?). Her death was a terrific scene though. Wasn't one of those children from the first episode of season 1?

Brakke

Banned
Wow what an ep. Must've been crazy to be on staff with this show, watching everyone spittin' shit the last couple weeks knowing you got this in the can.

TTG

I thought that was fun. How did you guys like Dany/Tyrion conversations? It seems I spent most of book 5 waiting for it. It didn't make for exceptional scenes, but they didn't drop the ball either.

The battle was cool and all, but generic it's underwhelming to see generic skeleton zombies in the show. I mean, they're terrible in fucking Elder Scrolls games, we get to this level of production and it's STILL the same banal shit? At least they did a good job of showing how the white walkers are different and why they're so integral, I sort of forgot about their specific ability. Do we know if there are specific criteria for transforming into one of those and not the plebeian thrall things, or is it just one in very few etc?

TTG

RIP lady wildling. I knew she wasn't long for this world as soon as they showed her saying goodbye to her kids (?). Her death was a terrific scene though. Wasn't one of those children from the first episode of season 1?

I think we may have our first character from that side in her. Bran tries to cure her down the road or there's some struggle with the remains of her humanity somehow. Or maybe it was a one time thing to give the shore wildlings some depth or whatever.

Brakke

Banned
At least they did a good job of showing how the white walkers are different and why they're so integral, I sort of forgot about their specific ability. Do we know if there are specific criteria for transforming into one of those and not the plebeian thrall things, or is it just one in very few etc?

That dude with the icicle crown turned one of Craster's sons into a Walker at his ice castle.

Might only work on babies? Probably not done very often. We're not totally sure yet though.

duckroll

Doran's finale line of the season: "The gout...has abated."

Have they even mentioned the gout on the show? Maybe he doesn't have gout in this version of the story? He could just have been taking it real easy. Dorne looks like a comfortable place, and he has a pretty nice chair!

Have they even mentioned the gout on the show? Maybe he doesn't have gout in this version of the story? He could just have been taking it real easy. Dorne looks like a comfortable place, and he has a pretty nice chair!

Did it come up last season in relation to Oberyn?

hydruxo

The part where all the wights ran off the cliff and hit the ground then jolted up was creepy as shit. Awesome ep, completely redeemed this season for me (though Ep 7 was good too).

Turin

Banned
Don't know which version of the Night King I prefer. I kind of lean towards the S4 look but I'm not sure that necromancer scene would have been as effective for me(when he was staring at Jon) for some reason.

Maybe they can find a middle ground in S6. lol

I think we may have our first character from that side in her. Bran tries to cure her down the road or there's some struggle with the remains of her humanity somehow. Or maybe it was a one time thing to give the shore wildlings some depth or whatever.

A part of me would really like that but I doubt they'd have the time.

Did it come up last season in relation to Oberyn?

Oberyn said he was ill. That's all I remember.

Hamlet

Don't know which version of the Night King I prefer. I kind of lean towards the S4 look but I'm not sure that necromancer scene would have been as effective for me(when he was staring at Jon) for some reason.

Maybe they can find a middle ground in S6. lol

A part of me would really like that but I doubt they'd have the time.

Oberyn said he was ill. That's all I remember.
Yes, Oberyn said that Doran has gout the "rich man's disease".
Just checked it and yeah they mention gout in the second episode when Tywin and Cersei are talking to Oberyn at the wedding.
"With any luck, the gout will abate with time and he will be able to walk again.
They call it the rich man's disease."

Cersei said 'any word from Jamie'
Do we know she actually sent a letter to him asking for help or has she just been waiting to hear from him anyways. I can't remember if we saw her try to contact him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wonder how much those Tyrion/Dany scenes borrow from unpublished material.

Considering that the circumstances surrounding their meeting in the book will be wildly different, I would guess not much. Maybe the "break the wheel" thing? I could see Book Dany saying that after amassing a Dothraki army and burning the shit out of her foes in Meereen. :D

Dr Prob

Banned
Episode raises some important questions. Like why do certain Others/White Walkers have to go barefoot yet some get to rock killer boots? Who is making these boots?

e33k9qqx.gif

Svafnir

Episode raises some important questions. Like why do certain Others/White Walkers have to go barefoot yet some get to rock killer boots? Who is making these boots?

e33k9qqx.gif

As far as I know, wights are the reanimated dead and are basically just drones. They would have whatever on from when they died and hasn't fallen off or deteriorated yet.

The "other" ones on the horses are the only intelligent ones. They control the wights. I'm sure they can wear whatever they want, but probably have no practical use for boots other than they want to wear them. They are beings of Ice and magic after all.

Edit: Also confuses me why people dislike the Skeletons. That's just the dead (wights) that the others resurrect, they are Skeletons/Zombies that's the whole point of them. They are quite different from the others or white walkers if you may. Going to be cool to find out more of their back story, all we know so far is that crastors babies were taken to be turned into more white walkers.

What's their language? How does their hierarchy really work? What kind of magic do they use to create wights? (skeletons) Can they all do it, or just the night king?

So they control an undead skeleton/zombie armor. I don't see that as a negative. I think necromancy is a cool fantasy aspect.

Brakke

Banned
The "come at me bro" scene was both tantalizing and stupid. Boy did that boat move fucking slow. Why was no one rowing?

They were all flabbergasted. There wasn't anything to flee, anyway. They were either far enough from shore to be safe, or else Night's King was about to drop some magic they couldn't escape. And they probably wanted to see what was happening plus they're all tired as shit from battle.

Dr Prob

Banned
As far as I know, wights are the reanimated dead and are basically just drones. They would have whatever on from when they died and hasn't fallen off or deteriorated yet.

The "other" ones on the horses are the only intelligent ones. They control the wights. I'm sure they can wear whatever they want, but probably have no practical use for boots other than they want to wear them. They are beings of Ice and magic after all.

I was only kidding about the boots, dude ;) The Others (I'll stick with calling them Others) we've seen previously were dressed in tattered clothing, no shoes etc., but these guys apparently up top of whatever hierarchy they've got going on have proper outfits and shit. Whether it's just an evolution of their look as a whole or the leaders being fashion-forward isn't really important.
Or is it?

Just a dumb thing we were discussing. Like maybe they take Craster's sons and put them to work in a little factory making boots.

Tuffty

It would be a massive fuck you to the audience to have Jon survive a White Walker attack, only to be done in by fucking Olly of all people.

Which is why it's going to happen.

Madness

I don't get what Dany meant she's going to break the wheel? I mean I get the sentiment in egalitarianism and a utopia where all are equal. But we've seen the Starks and Targaryens and Baratheons are highborns for a reason. Does she really think by removing 'highborn/lowborn', by making anyone equal, it will diminish what it means to be a Stark or a Targaryen?

Moff

I don't get what Dany meant she's going to break the wheel? I mean I get the sentiment in egalitarianism and a utopia where all are equal. But we've seen the Starks and Targaryens and Baratheons are highborns for a reason. Does she really think by removing 'highborn/lowborn', by making anyone equal, it will diminish what it means to be a Stark or a Targaryen?

breaking the wheel means breaking the system and breaking the cycle where different houses fight for the top one after another.
I like to think that aegon the conqueror "broke the wheel", too, 800 years ago.

It would be a massive fuck you to the audience to have Jon survive a White Walker attack, only to be done in by fucking Olly of all people.

Which is why it's going to happen.

"Don't worry, he always comes back."

Episode was killer. The entire season up to now has been a letdown, this was a nice change of pace. The "come at me, bro" scene was a bit ridiculous, but most of all just eerie as fuck. I like how they're giving the White Walkers a face with the Night's King, at this point in the books they're still just a basically unseen threat.

That Wildling Elder dying because of some resurrected kids was stupid, though. She'd been killing Walkers non stop and suddenly because they're kids she just gives up? Not that I expected anything different, the moment she told her own kids "she'd be right behind them" I knew she was a goner. It's the Eddard Stark curse.

Jon killing the Other with Longclaw was baller as fuck, too. Some great reactions in that scene, too. I love how surprised even the Walker looked when Jon deflected his blow. :lol

All in all, great episode. First time in a long while I've felt this way about the series.

Madness

breaking the wheel means breaking the system and breaking the cycle where different houses fight for the top one after another.
I like to think that aegon the conqueror "broke the wheel", too, 800 years ago.

That would make sense but she said Targaryen too, implying she'd want to do away with the current system.The Starks, Lannisters, Targaryens, Baratheons, Tyrells, they're all just spokes on a wheel crushing one another when one is on top. I'm going to break the wheel.

I mean if a Stark is no different than a Northerner, they have no reason to impose their will on anyone anymore. As long as there is a house Targaryen on top, there will be a house Lannister that wants them to be there.

I just got the sentiment she'd want to do what happened in reality, which is the decline of royalty, highborns, kings/queens who are no special from commoners? Or am I reading too much into it? This is Dany after all, an idealist.

CloudWolf

That was awesome. Can't wait for this week's "Book vs Show" meme.

The Book: Shit happens off screen to characters we don't know.

The Show: That just happened.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Hardhome completely different from the books anyway? The wildlings there are taken by slavers and the ones left resort to cannibalism because they're out of food. They are never attacked by wights or anything. You can't really compare the books and the show here. The only 'shit' that happened in Hardhome was long before any of the events in the books and show.

Moff

every single scene this episode was of supreme quality, it gave me everything I needed after a storm of swords.

no dorne

I even liked clarke, but she has always been best when being stern and demanding. I feel she and dinklage will have great chemistry. but it was made painfully obvious why barristan had to die, it made me wonder if he will also die in the books before tyrion shows up.

alfie allen was great as usual, and as much as I enjoyed the AFFC title reference, I instantly hated the idea of "give me 20 good men and I'll impregnate that bitch", it has become a trope by now that only asks for a small budget.

arya was cool, braavos canals looked really good and I am glad they introduced the coins, at this point it feels almost refreshing to have a scene, or rather an idea, that is directly from the books, I expect that assassination to be pretty cool.

and then the battle, I expected more but it was still very good. a bit confused about the valyrian steel but whatever. did the wildling woman have a name? I expected her to be val, but sadly that won't happen :(
the giant was fun, and the four horsemen shot my favourite of the season so far. just badass, you knew shit will go down now.
I never liked the night's king design though, he just looks too cgi, too darth mauly, voldemorty, not enough unique. which is a shame because the white walkers just look amazing, and with their armor I think they look even more like the book others now, less zombie, more ancient supreme beings.
one detail though that noone complained about in the threads here, did anyone else think the beginning went way too fast? we see a field with 20 000 wildlings and in less than a minute the walker army is at the gates?

now I expect daznak's pit to blow this all away with high budget dragon action, I want it to be the most awesome fantasy scene we have ever seen. I hope drogon still grows a bit till next week.

Mxrz

Really good episode. I thought the Chieftainess was Val for a bit, too. Then she made a big deal about following her kids and it got suspicious. The zombie kids were flat out creepy.

Glad to see Wun wun, The show has skipped a lot of minor yet unique characters. Hopefully the cgi needed for his scenes won't be too big a drain. But they can do a lot with closeups, and editing.

Don't think Tyrion can really make Daenerys seem less terrible. Nothing to do with the actress. The character took a hard drive around the third book and never recovered. Blame GRRM.

With how hard Olly is being pushed. It would be an interesting surprise to see him not do it. Maybe allow a minor character, for once, to see beyond his common concerns. But probably not. Gotta keep up the doomed quotient.

Random speculation - Sam's White Walker slowly froze before being blown away. Jon's fucking exploded. Could just be a difference between dragonglass and v.steel, or just theatrical emphasis. But the Night King's gaze never really left Jon after that.

Kain

THAT.WAS.FUCKING.AMAZING

So that's where all the budget went: the giant, the zombies, the WW... oh my god, everything was absolutely perfect.

Even Dany's and Cersei's bits were good. And Theon confessing to Sansa that he didn't kill her brothers is something I've been anticipating for years. D&D really delivered with this one. Doesn't excuse Dorne's and some others clusterfucks but well done nonetheless.

PS: Poor wildling chief, she was hot and cool, why did she have to die? :((((((

Ikael

I still want the Night King to have a better motive than just "kill them all and destroy everything", though that is very unlikely. Something like Azor Ahai cast a spell on him and now he's that way forever.

Us White Walkers signed a peace threaty with Bran the builder centuries ago in the age of Heroes, which putted an end to the war of Dawn.

Said pact clearly stated that "there should always be a Stark on Winterfell" in order to watch it, and that human territory started from the Wall downards. A Wall that btw, it was built in order to mark the limits of the accord, with the Night's Watch put in place in order to observe it.

It was a goddamn good deal for you humans, and we honoured it for centuries yet you southern treacherous barbarians have wiped your asses with it. You built a goddamn town beyond the Wall (Hardhome). We destroyed it and gave you a pass on it, but it seem that you guys didn't caught the message, like at all.

Then a bunch of sycophants shows up bringing motherfucking dragons next to our borders, and later you dishonour the last remaining part of our peace agreement by murdering and forcefully removing the Starks from Winterfell and placing fire woshippers closer to our lands.

Sorry, but we've had enough of your shit. You have gave us White Walkers more than enough reasons to launch a pre-emtpive attack to ensure the safety of our White Kingdom before your freaks burn us all down.

Oh, why the surprised faces? Perhaps you didn't thought that we would not know of your plans to bring yet even more dragons and fire whorshipping Targaryens into Westeros? Our Faceless men warned us of your treachery long ago, humans, and we've decided to make the first move rather than wait for your invasion and inevitable northern expansion.

Just spare us from your whinning and victimism, "whaaa, whaaa, poor, poor humans" now that your devious plot has been discovered, as if YOU would be some kind of innocent maidens. Screw you humans, the next peace agreement that we sign with you won't be so advantageous as the last one was, you can be sure of that.

Kind of interesting that at the Tower of the Hand, if current ratings hold up this would be the highest rated episode of GOT of all time at 9.33.

Tower of the Hand are pretty stringent graders as a group, last episode to get a 9 was the Red Wedding episode in season 3 at 9.25. Last season the highest was The Laws of Gods and Men at 8.85 (Mountain and the Viper just lost out at 8.84). Kind of interesting since collectively this season has been the lowest scored season. But it's entirely possible we end with 3 straight 9+ episodes in a row.

CassSept

Well, that was a great ep, Tyrion/Dany dynamic is finally something interesting that's not yet in the books and the Hardhome was quite probably the best action sequence in the series yet, a great turnaround from Watchers on the Wall which was tragically boring and thoroughly uninteresting.

Nice to see valyrian steel being confirmed to kill white walkers. It could have just as well been a misdirection in the books, who knows. Now we have 100% confirmation it is dragon steel and that's nice to see.

Kain

It was pretty much a given that Valyrian steel could kill WWs, I mean, those swords were forged by dragon breathing on them or something along those lines. Something called "dragonglass" can't be too different from that.

Kain

If Ramsay with 20 men and his plot armor destroy Stannis army I will drop the series, even after today's fantastic episode. You can quote me on that.

Monocle

Oh good, finally another episode that hits the right notes. I won't say it redeems the season, because so far S5 contains a grand total of one other above-average episode, but what a high point. I think I enjoyed the scenes between Daenerys and Tyrion more than anything. For once I hope the books follow the show's lead, as far as recreating the tone of a fateful meeting between two major players.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So dumb question, but are whitewalkers allergic to water or something? I don't get why they didn't just rush Snow and kill him as he was very, very, very slowly rowing away from them in his dinky little boat.

Monocle

So dumb question, but are whitewalkers allergic to water or something? I don't get why they didn't just rush Snow and kill him as he was very, very, very slowly rowing away from them in his dinky little boat.
That occurred to me too. Maybe the dead can't swim for some reason? They should have taken out Jon when they had the chance. I half expected the Night King to toss an ice lance at him.

One of the best of the entire series. Holy shit. Love the Tyrion and Dany scenes. It's something everyone in here has been wanting for a long time, and it's so good to finally see it. Really looking forward to where they take that in the future.

Everything about Hardhome was incredible. Imagine if every episode had a budget like that? Fucking hell, that was intense. Night King's "come at me bro" was too good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That occurred to me too. Maybe the dead can't swim for some reason? They should have taken out Jon when they had the chance.
They saw he had the valerian sword than can kill them, so why would they let him live to spread that information around?

I mean, I know that moment existed for filmic reasons, and that's fine. But in terms of the actual story, it seemed rather strange.

I hope the series ends by someone just splashing water on these guys. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom