• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finally finished watching.

Amazing episode. Great hardhome sequence. Really conveys the threat of the "Others" well while also giving them something more than mindless zombie vibes. The fact that it looked like they were preparing for an attack, this was planned, that they specifically targeted the dragon glass. And of course that they have a hierarchy.

Will be interesting to see Castle Black next episode as now other NW members can vouch for Jon.

Tyrion - Dany was great. It really shows the issue with GRRM's long winded approach in last two books to Dany's and Tyrion's story line.

Cersei's only friend being Qyburn was great. Wish we had seem some Margarey too.

Arya's was done well. She gets her first kill next week I think?

Winterfell was all right. We will see where this all goes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Regarding Valyrian steel, I think its secret is that is was forged in dragon's fire.

I was thinking that too, but then it doesn't really make sense that you could melt it down and reforge it using standard practices. I mean, I know it's magic and they aint gotta explain shit, but I would think that any weapons made out of a reforged Valyrian steel weapon (like when Ice was broken down) wouldn't maintain dragon-forged properties without being dragonforged themselves.

Regarding Valyrian steel, I think its secret is that is was forged in dragon's fire. This this is the way that all seven kingdoms will unite. Dany's dragon's possess the only thing that can defeat the White Walkers. She will come to power with the offer of forging Valyrian weapons for all the kingdoms.

I'm calling it.

Makes me wonder about the Iron Throne, does that count as steel forged in dragon's fire?

Either way, Dragonstone is going to be strip-mined when all is said and done.

Moff

Regarding Valyrian steel, I think its secret is that is was forged in dragon's fire. This this is the way that all seven kingdoms will unite. Dany's dragon's possess the only thing that can defeat the White Walkers. She will come to power with the offer of forging Valyrian weapons for all the kingdoms.

I'm calling it.

yeah they should chain them up in the citadel and make them forge valyrian steel all day long, maybe use that horn to control them and make them do it.
they'll have enough weapons to kill the white walkers in no time.

Show Jorah is way too much of a chump. I really don't understand what he expects to accomplish.

A man hopelessly in love willing to do whatever it takes to be with her, even if she will never return his affections. An age-old story that has been ruined in modern times by fedorahs and nice guys :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Preview:
Stannis' line about "if a man knows why he is, what choice does he have to resist his destiny" really sounds like they're going to have him consider the sacrifice. :(

Also Prince Doran demanding that Jaime swear him fealty is weird. No idea where they're going with that. Or with the continuing scenes of the Sand Snakes and Bronn in prison. Jaime forced into the service of the Martell's would be taking things completely off book. But maybe they'll find a way out of it.

I think he was talking to Bronn, not Jaime. They just cut the preview to make it look that way.

I'm calling it.

Stannis' cache of Obsidian in dragonstone is more likely.

Iksenpets

Banned
HEs probably saying that to Ellaria.

Oh I didn't even think of that. Got confused by the shot of Jaime immediately beforehand. Filming stuff:
That would explain the shot of Ellaria being present when Doran is talking with Jaime. She's already pledged her allegiance.

I think he was talking to Bronn, not Jaime. They just cut the preview to make it look that way.

Stannis' cache of Obsidian in dragonstone is more likely.

The obsidian will be important for arming foot soldiers and stuff, but I doubt it can win a war due to its fragility. Each dagger and arrowhead can only be used once, and it's too brittle to build a sword that can hold together to actually fight a walker one-on-one. Your dagger is no good if a walker is going to be able to stick you with his ice spear before you get close enough to use it. They need real swords.

Oh I didn't even think of that. Got confused by the shot of Jaime immediately beforehand. Filming stuff:
That would explain the shot of Ellaria being present when Doran is talking with Jaime. She's already pledged her allegiance.

exactu mundo baby.

We probably and hopefully get some kind of a "plan" from Doran too next episode

Did anyone else notice the emphasis during the episode on trying to convey time. I thought they used words like "years" several times in the episode to try convey that a ton of time has really passed since season 1.

Did anyone else notice the emphasis during the episode on trying to convey time. I thought they used words like "years" several times in the episode to try convey that a ton of time has really passed since season 1.

Good point, Sam and Tyrion (both of which often serve as the show's narrators) mention it repeatedly.

Drazgul

They could have thrown in

Tyrion: Well your grace, I'm not sure I'm ready for A DANCE WITH DRAGONS quite yet.

Next episode, right before Stannis's army is about to attack:

Davos: There's a storm brewing in the horizon, your grace.
Stannis: .... A Storm of Swords.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

They've been pushing this angle a lot harder than ever before lately. A few episodes ago Myrcella told Jaime she'd been shipped off to Dorne "years ago", and now we have multiple instances in the same ep.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So they've abandoned the pale mare plague?

Or is Jorah going to infect everyone with stone herpies?

He's going to win the fighting pits tournament and be granted a handshake from the queen and just rub his wrist on her forhead and be all LOL U GOT STONESCALE THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK WITH JORAH THE DESTROYA

gutshot

The Unsullied have no idea what is going to go down at Daznak's Pit. Hope the CGI for that scene is up to par. Glimpses of it in the preview looked great.

Paganmoon

Next major book spoiler just dropped. Valyrian steel kills white walkers.

I thought this was already confirmed in the books? Or was it just hinted at? I mean, I thought I knew this already, kept thinking "It's cool Jon, don't worry about the dragonglass, you got your Valyrian steel sword". Wonder where I got that from.

Also, Jon totally killed Benjen didn't he?

And, Stannis going to die? They can't have Ramsay die to Stannis, would be sort of anti-climactic, and not cathartic enough for Theon and Sansa, so Ramsay cannot die against Stannis army, wonder what they'll do.

I thought this was already confirmed in the books? Or was it just hinted at? I mean, I thought I knew this already, kept thinking "It's cool Jon, don't worry about the dragonglass, you got your Valyrian steel sword".

In the books, dragon steel is referenced as a way (in addition to dragon glass). Never confirmed but it's a safe assumption that dragon steel is in fact valayrian steel.

Anoregon

I thought this was already confirmed in the books? Or was it just hinted at? I mean, I thought I knew this already, kept thinking "It's cool Jon, don't worry about the dragonglass, you got your Valyrian steel sword".

I think it's one of those things that is "confirmed", where it's widely held/believed but at this point never actually been proven/tested in the books.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I'm calling it.

That was my thought too. Tyrion will advise her to start a factory of appropriate weapons.

Ikael

The show recovering previously abbandoned plots like the ironborn horn of the great Deus Ex Machina or the secret Deus Ex Targaryen rather than dropping them altogether and advancing into the Winds of Winter plot would be the worst shit ever. Ever.

Look at the audience reaction in the "no spoiler" thread. People are complaining that the show, pretty much like the books, is going in circles, while celebrating episodes like this one that makes the plot fucking advance.

If the showrunners are stupid enough to keep delaying the plot's climaxes (Stannis VS Bolton battle, winter arriving, Daenerys going to Westeros, etc) in favour of imitating the books retarded cliffhangers, this show deserves to die.

duckroll

I REALLY hope we get Wright's vs Stone men at some point.

That might be too much crazy to have on screen in one scene.

Ramsay Bolton, the Prince Who Was Promised, teams up with Jorah Mormont, the Man Who Loved, and Shireen Baratheon, the One True Princess. Together they lead an army of dragons, stone men, giants, and mammoths against the Night King's army of undead.

Coming Summer 2018. In IMAX 3D.

I feel like episode 10 will end with a raven reaching King's Landing, saying what we already know. Winter has arrived.

Oh yes. Snow falling on King's Landing. Kevan coming into Pycelle's chamber, seeing the White Raven, having that White Walker theme playing in the background. And then he finds Pycelle dead. Cue the knives.

Been looking forward to that scene since I first read the book. Hope they do it right.

Kyougar

I was thinking that too, but then it doesn't really make sense that you could melt it down and reforge it using standard practices. I mean, I know it's magic and they aint gotta explain shit, but I would think that any weapons made out of a reforged Valyrian steel weapon (like when Ice was broken down) wouldn't maintain dragon-forged properties without being dragonforged themselves.

Who says that they work? Only Jons sword "Longclaw" was "tested". until stated otherwise, it is a pure Valerian sword. Widows Wail and oathkeeper are reforged and could have lost their powers. They just look like valerian steel.

-griffy-

Banned
I think they might be doing a fake out with Olly. In the preview it looks like
Thorne and the others aren't gonna let Jon/wildlings through the gate, so maybe Olly actually sides with Jon, defying his fellow brothers and opening the gate himself. Maybe he's one of the few crows who fights at Jon's side when shit goes down. I mean they already have a face for those who side against Jon with Thorne, and having Olly side with Jon goes with the message of this last episode of doing things for the future generation. I could see it going either way really.

Kain

Ramsay Bolton, the Prince Who Was Promised, teams up with Jorah Mormont, the Man Who Loved, and Shireen Baratheon, the One True Princess. Together they lead an army of dragons, stone men, giants, and mammoths against the Night King's army of undead.

Coming Summer 2018. In IMAX 3D.

You forget Balon, The Forgotten Man!

Kyougar

In the books, dragon steel is referenced as a way (in addition to dragon glass). Never confirmed but it's a safe assumption that dragon steel is in fact valayrian steel.

These books are a thousand years old right? I dont have my History book at hand, but was Valeria known to the north at that time? did Valeria even exist at that time?

They couldnt have named it Valerian Steel because that was not how those swords were named at that time.
Question is, who brought them Steel made by dragon fire at that time.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Loved the episode. Fantastic stuff. Battle aside even, the Tyrion/Danny scenes were excellent. Was waiting for this since last week. No idea what the books are doing (I dont even remember where they left off), but this really needed to happen.

What does the Night's King's re-entry mean though? I wonder what his endgame is.

Paganmoon

Can the walkers not trudge the ocean floor? Otherwise they're really only a threat to the continent of Westeros, right?

Well, with winter, maybe the seas freeze, and the WW and army can just walk over to Essos? Also, the WW only need to go over themselves on boats, and they can create a new army in no time.

I think it's one of those things that is "confirmed", where it's widely held/believed but at this point never actually been proven/tested in the books.

Ahh right, I guess it just took what was written as truth, and didn't question it, and require actual proof hehe

So when the "ice fog" was first rolling in over Hardhome, it wasn't just normal undead killing all of the wildlings on the outside, right? After everything goes silent and the Thenn walks up to the gate you can hear loud, footfalls outside and see a shadow move to the left. Was that a zombie giant? Ice spider?

Ice Dragon?

Iksenpets

Banned
Did Cersei ever send a letter to Dorne?

She can't really, can she? She doesn't know Jaime's been captured. For all she knows he's still working on his plan to infiltrate the Water Gardens, and she's be killing him if she outs him with a letter.

I think they might be doing a fake out with Olly. In the preview it looks like
Thorne and the others aren't gonna let Jon/wildlings through the gate, so maybe Olly actually sides with Jon, defying his fellow brothers and opening the gate himself. Maybe he's one of the few crows who fights at Jon's side when shit goes down. I mean they already have a face for those who side against Jon with Thorne, and having Olly side with Jon goes with the message of this last episode of doing things for the future generation. I could see it going either way really.

I really hope it's a red herring and he'll remain loyal. They've hit the point too hard. Reading the unsullied thread, they see it coming. I wonder if stressing Olly's hatred of the Wildlings but having him stay loyal will be their way of showing that it's the plan to march on the Boltons that gets Jon killed, not the wildling situation.

Madridy

Quick question:

Is it safe to watch the latest episode from a book reader perspective?

I don't want to spoil aWoW (although it seems the show already spoiled some stuff)

:(

Quick question:

I don't want to spoil aWoW (although it seems the show already spoiled some stuff)

Jon never makes to Hardhome in the books so there that. Something is confirmed about Valryian steel..

Dany has some scenes with someone she hasn't met yet in the books.

I understand you don't want to watch, but I would probably worry more about next season as that will totally be out of the books territory.

Iksenpets

Banned
Quick question:

What's your spoiler tolerance level? Were you ok with the white walker baby scene last season? This is about on par with that. Small spoilers regarding things that have been heavily hinted in the books. But nothing where they're actually getting ahead of the events of the books chronologically and showing the outcomes of things we haven't seen yet.

Anoregon

Who says that they work? Only Jons sword "Longclaw" was "tested". until stated otherwise, it is a pure Valerian sword. Widows Wail and oathkeeper are reforged and could have lost their powers. They just look like valerian steel.

Killing White Walkers isn't the only way of proving something is Valyrian steel; it is still stronger/better than other weapons in general. Like when Brienne smashed through the sword of that one random Littlefinger lackey. I think it's safe to say that particular bit of info (reforging valyrian steel weapons into other/new ones) is accurate.

Paganmoon

Quick question:

Really isn't any point in not watching the show anymore, anything minor isn't going to make a difference, like the revelation this episode, and anything major, you're definitely going to get spoiled either through social media, or other shows, or someone writing something in another topic etc.

No way to keep away from spoilers for the coming how ever many years it's going to take to get a dream of spring out.

Personally, I really don't care anymore. GRRM had his chance.

Really isn't any point in not watching the show anymore, anything minor isn't going to make a difference, like the revelation this episode, and anything major, you're definitely going to get spoiled either through social media, or other shows, or someone writing something in another topic etc.

No way to keep away from spoilers for the coming how ever many years it's going to take to get a dream of spring out.

Personally, I really don't care anymore. GRRM had his chance.

Agreed. GRRM has had plenty of time to write TWOW. His fault for taking forever.

There is no way ADOS will be out before the show ends. I see no point in waiting. Even if the show goes 8 seasons, ADOS will still come out after. And that's not even counting on the fact that he might write 8 books.

Just enjoy the show completely separate from the books.

Soo....we now know that Pycelle and Kevan are both advising Tommen. We also had Varys mentioned this episode...so can we assumed Varys will kill both of them in Episode 10?

Amazing episode. The best of the season so far.

Not only because the story was new and interesting but because finally we had some decent directing with a good photography and acting. When I saw Arya at the channels I knew the episode would look good.

btw I missed all the discussion until now. What is the consensus about Jon being able to kill the WW? Was it because the sword was made by Valyrian steel?

I agree. I feel like up until this point everything has been a stall, Like they are trying to extend it on purpose. I think this has been the weakest season so far, but I love these characters so much I don't care. And yes last night was amazing, should have been episode 2 or 3 instead of 8.

Killing White Walkers isn't the only way of proving something is Valyrian steel; it is still stronger/better than other weapons in general. Like when Brienne smashed through the sword of that one random Littlefinger lackey. I think it's safe to say that particular bit of info (reforging valyrian steel weapons into other/new ones) is accurate.

To be clear, he didn't kill that Walker, right? That same Walker shows up later--Jon stares at him. He must have "reformed" T1000 style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom