• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

To be clear, he didn't kill that Walker, right? That same Walker shows up later--Jon stares at him. He must have "reformed" T1000 style.

All the walkers that aren't the NK look pretty much exactly the same. This one didn't have a beard like we've seen before, but take away the beard and the walker Jon kills at Hardhome, the one that leads the army of the dead over Sam, the one Sam kills, etc., all look pretty much identical.

Really isn't any point in not watching the show anymore, anything minor isn't going to make a difference, like the revelation this episode, and anything major, you're definitely going to get spoiled either through social media, or other shows, or someone writing something in another topic etc.

No way to keep away from spoilers for the coming how ever many years it's going to take to get a dream of spring out.

Personally, I really don't care anymore. GRRM had his chance.

Well, you say that, but then we also have the other 7 episodes this season to show you what happens when you rush work to fit a preordained schedule.

All the walkers that aren't the NK look pretty much exactly the same. This one didn't have a beard like we've seen before, but take away the beard and the walker Jon kills at Hardhome, the one that leads the army of the dead over Sam, the one Sam kills, etc., all look pretty much identical.

Oooh, thanks for clarifying. Totally thought it was a "nope, you didn't kill me" moment, but didn't realize they all look the same (aside from the "royalty" of course).

Moff

To be clear, he didn't kill that Walker, right? That same Walker shows up later--Jon stares at him. He must have "reformed" T1000 style.

that's not the impression I got, and I am sure they would have shown that if they wanted that to be the case.
valyrian steel kills white walkers

Madridy

I see, thanks for the quick answers guys. I guess I'll watch it then, minor stuff didn't bother me before.

And Yeah I agree on the notion that I'll definitely get spoiled sooner or later on aDoS.

But dammit I still hate this feeling...

Really isn't any point in not watching the show anymore, anything minor isn't going to make a difference, like the revelation this episode, and anything major, you're definitely going to get spoiled either through social media, or other shows, or someone writing something in another topic etc.

No way to keep away from spoilers for the coming how ever many years it's going to take to get a dream of spring out.

Personally, I really don't care anymore. GRRM had his chance.

Same. I was pretty bummed that the show was overtaking the books but I'm over that now. They're diverging completely anyway, so they're different entities. Enjoy the show for the show, and the books as the books (whenever they come out FFS). Last night's episode was really good too, and it wasn't even book material. Just a great specatale.

Well, you say that, but then we also have the other 7 episodes this season to show you what happens when you rush work to fit a preordained schedule.

Considering some of the material they had to work with I think they did fine.

There's a lot of good stuff from the books missing but dear god the amount of chaff in those two books is immense.

If Ramsay with 20 men and his plot armor destroy Stannis army I will drop the series, even after today's fantastic episode. You can quote me on that.

They will most likely cut off supplies and stuff. I can't see them killing off the army in combat. The 20 men will do damage in other ways.

Burt

Considering some of the material they had to work with I think they did fine.

There's a lot of good stuff from the books missing but dear god the amount of chaff in those two books is immense.

Yeah, I'm actually on the side of them mostly making solid overarching plot choices, but the general opinion seems to be that people aren't happy with the stuff.

They will most likely cut off supplies and stuff. I can't see them killing off the army in combat. The 20 men will do damage in other ways.

I think the supplies are already cut off with the snows. It's unfortunate that they didn't sell just how desperate Stannis' army was with the one 'on the march' scene we got. Yeah, the Stormcrows left, but that's nothing compared to the cannibalism-inducing conditions in the books.

My money's on some Ramsay being the devious fucker he is and posing as soldiers to start the mutiny.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That Valyrian steel.
dRz2CdR.gif
I love how both Jon and the White Walker are shocked that Long Claw stopped the Walker's blade.

Ghost23

So instead of getting a Stannis/Bolton battle this season, we are going to get a cheesy 20 man invasion that will do way more damage than it possibly could. I'm thinking Ramsay and dogs cheesy.

Can't wait to see shirtless Ramsay and his 20 men army destroying Stannis.

Can't see that happening. Puting the ridiculousness aside, the show's being too obvious about Ramsay's motivations to prove himself before Roose to avoid being displaced by his future, legitimate half-brother. The whole Winterfell scene seemed to purporsely let the viewers know that this desire is blinding his better judgement.

Iksenpets

Banned
lol, seriously

When he said that line, I thought that the writers MUST read GAF. He might as well have winked at the camera.

I really hope they're setting up some kind of massive failure for him somewhere, because it's getting frustrating. In the books, yeah he's cruel and deranged and dangerous, but you always know that he has fundamental weaknesses. His anger blinds him; he's rash. You always feel like this is a guy who is one misstep away from being taken down. Show Ramsay feels omnipotent. He's always a step ahead of everyone.

Yeah, I'm actually on the side of them mostly making solid overarching plot choices, but the general opinion seems to be that people aren't happy with the stuff.

Agreed. I think the overarching structure of this season is better than I ever could have imagined coming from those books. They just fucked it up wth shit writing in Dorne and Winterfell. Much better plots could have been done in those two locations with the same amount of time, and we'd have a miraculously good season.

-griffy-

Banned
I love how both Jon and the White Walker are shocked that Long Claw stopped the Walker's blade.

I love how Jon is so staggered he lets out that delayed guttural scream, like he's still expecting to die even after his sword stopped the attack.

Allforce

So instead of getting a Stannis/Bolton battle this season, we are going to get a cheesy 20 man invasion that will do way more damage than it possibly could. I'm thinking Ramsay and dogs cheesy.

It'll be Ramsay and his boys setting a trap on a frozen lake for Stannis and his army, drowning a majority of their force. A swerve on what the book has hinted at Stannis planning for The Bolton army.

Massa

She can't really, can she? She doesn't know Jaime's been captured. For all she knows he's still working on his plan to infiltrate the Water Gardens, and she's be killing him if she outs him with a letter.

She could have sent a letter to Myrcella.

Speevy

Banned
It'll be Ramsay and his boys setting a trap on a frozen lake for Stannis and his army, drowning a majority of their force. A swerve on what the book has hinted at Stannis planning for The Bolton army.

It is quite literally a burning raid. That's all he's doing. They haven't got the budget or the time to build another huge battle/soldier sequence.

Iksenpets

Banned
I honestly think this gets pushed to next season. Probably around Ep 3 or 4 next season

This is my feeling, too. We need to see him fixing things before he goes down. He needs to patch up relations with the Tyrells at the very least. I think he lives long enough to get to react to the Greyjoy attacks on the Reach and to maybe send Jaime to aid the Riverlands before dying. For Varys(filming info):
I think we'll see him in Dorne in episode 10, dropping by to discuss plans with co-conspirator Doran. The filming reports from Spain mentioned a character they weren't allowed to mention being present at Sunspear, and he's really the only one who fits. That loops Varys back into things and gets him to King's Landing within the first few episodes of season 6.

-griffy-

Banned
It is quite literally a burning raid. That's all he's doing. They haven't got the budget or the time to build another huge battle/soldier sequence.

Speculation based on previews/interviews:
It's gonna take place at night, so they can easily allude to scale without fully showing Stannis' camp. They can use fire so it'll look cool. They just need the 20 guys to start fires and various intervals on the perimeter to get people panicking, then do a focused attack on one area and show minimal fighting. Stannis takes a couple guys out, but Ramsay and his men vanish into the night before Stannis can even properly respond. He'll burn some tents and ruin their supplies, and maybe Shireen gets hurt/killed in the commotion.

All relatively inexpensive, letting them save the budget for Daznak's Epic Coliseum of Drogon Fire™.

On the other hand we have examples from GRRM that demonstrate that spending longer to write a book doesn't mean it will be of a higher quality, in fact long delays usually mean there is something wrong with the writing process.

Moff

kevan and pycelle go down in episode 10, I have no doubts, otherwise they would have shown what varys is up to. if they do it right they will show another badass kevan scene which makes clear how important he would be, I definitely hope we get that next week.

It's gonna take place at night, so they can easily allude to scale without fully showing Stannis' camp. They can use fire so it'll look cool. They just need the 20 guys to start fires and various intervals on the perimeter to get people panicking, then do a focused attack on one area and show minimal fighting. Stannis takes a couple guys out, but Ramsay and his men vanish into the night before Stannis can even properly respond. He'll burn some tents and ruin their supplies, and maybe Shireen gets hurt/killed in the commotion.

All relatively inexpensive, letting them save the budget for Daznak's Epic Coliseum of Drogon Fire™.

I'm on board with this in that I think it's what will happen, but won't be happy about it.
Serious injury vs. total destruction.
. Please let Ramsay have a fucking setback already.

This is my feeling, too. We need to see him fixing things before he goes down. He needs to patch up relations with the Tyrells at the very least. I think he lives long enough to get to react to the Greyjoy attacks on the Reach and to maybe send Jaime to aid the Riverlands before dying. For Varys(filming info):
I think we'll see him in Dorne in episode 10, dropping by to discuss plans with co-conspirator Doran. The filming reports from Spain mentioned a character they weren't allowed to mention being present at Sunspear, and he's really the only one who fits. That loops Varys back into things and gets him to King's Landing within the first few episodes of season 6.

With no Faegon it might make sense to stretch out the KL plot like this. Though I'm skeptical that they'll actually hold off on killing Kevan for that long. Even in the book all of the setup for his death occurs in the same chapter he dies in. You could easily have him talk to the Tyrells and then die in the same episode, or same scene even.

On your notes:
This is how they rationalize sacraficing Shireen maybe? Maybe she's dying already and they use her.

With no Faegon it might make sense to stretch out the KL plot like this. Though I'm skeptical that they'll actually hold off on killing Kevan for that long. Even in the book all of the setup for his death occurs in the same chapter he dies in. You could easily have him talk to the Tyrells and then die in the same episode, or same scene even.

It would be a nice parallel to what happened to Jon this week - make a breakthrough with peace, and then immediately have a major setback following it. You could have a scene with Kevan and Lady Olenna working out a kind of truce, and then show him walking back into his quarters and have him be ambushed by Varys.

Burt

I didn't catch it until I watched the Inside the Episode, but Jon and Edd have the funniest Scooby-Doo-esque reaction to the wights getting up after jumping off the cliff

https://youtu.be/Zm25hUOG_oA?t=4m59s

"OH FUUUUUUCKKKK!!!!!!"

On the other hand we have examples from GRRM that demonstrate that spending longer to write a book doesn't mean it will be of a higher quality, in fact long delays usually mean there is something wrong with the writing process.

Also a good point.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So GRRM just gave an interview where he talked about his sorta "Top 5 characters" that the show has cut but he would have liked to have seen in the show. And, in doing so he also basically reveals that certain cut characters will have a larger role in the coming books.

1. Strong Belwas
2. Jeyne Poole
3 and 4. Wilas and Garlan
5. Lady Stoneheart

On LSH and Wilas and Garlan:
“And in the Tyrell family, Loras is not the eldest son in the books,” Martin points out. “There are two older brothers, Willas and Garlan. I didn’t just put them in for hoots and giggles, they have roles to play in the last two books, and they don’t exist in the show. I’ve said from the start I wish we had more hours, but showrunners [David Benioff and Dan Weiss] work 24/7, 12 months a year.”
“Lady Stoneheart does have a role in the books,” Martin said. “Whether it’s sufficient or interesting enough… I think it is, or I wouldn’t have put her in. One of the things I wanted to show with her is that the death she suffered changes you...Lady Stoneheart is not Cateyln. I’ve tried to set it up beforehand with Beric Dondarrion and his repeated [resurrections]. There’s a brief appearance by Beric in Book One and he rides into the city and he’s this flamboyant Southern knight. That’s not that man we meet later on.”

What if Brienne notices the 20 men leaving the castle and decides to follow them?

Hmmmm. I like this, but if you'd allow me to submit a different idea that plays on the same premise. Maybe she sneaks inside the gates before they close them up after Ramsay and his men leave?

Ghost23

All the non-book readers I watch with have not reacted to the Olly foreshadowing. It's easy for us to think it's obvious, but I don't think non-book readers are being spoiled with foreshadowing.

Iksenpets

Banned

It's easier to do that in a book though. Kevan's internal monologue gets to tell us all the things he's done since Cersei's been imprisoned in a paragraph. The show has to show all of that, which will take a bit more time.

I really do think a lot of show only viewers will be very upset with another Stark just dying. Hence I want to see resurrection or at least hint at it.

Otherwise 5 seasons of Starks just being fucked.

Thats what I'm saying. Don't just end the season on him being stabbed. Show some kind of hint that he will or he does get resurrected.

Thats what I'm saying. Don't just end the season on him being stabbed. Show some kind of hint that he will or he does get resurrected.

I really liked the thoery someone here had that Mel will attempt to resurrect Stannis in episode 10 as he gets hurt from Brienne or Ramsay or someone else and instead of resurrecting who she thinks is the Lord of Light it resurrects Jon Snow.

Would be an insane way to end.

Arkeband

Banned
So GRRM just gave an interview where he talked about his sorta "Top 5 characters" that the show has cut but he would have liked to have seen in the show. And, in doing so he also basically reveals that certain cut characters will have a larger role in the coming books.

1. Strong Belwas
2. Jeyne Poole
3 and 4. Wilas and Garlan
5. Lady Stoneheart

On LSH and Wilas and Garlan:

Wow, that's huge.

That basically confirms that LSH is 100% cut from the show, instead of us just suspecting it and moving on with our lives.

Strong Belwas being his #1 is kind of weird. He's a fun character, but there's not a lot to him besides liver and onions.

And his Beric explanation really gives credence to Beric -> LSH -> Jon progression as far as people who get revived.

Massa

I really do think a lot of show only viewers will be very upset with another Stark just dying. Hence I want to see resurrection or at least hint at it.

Otherwise 5 seasons of Starks just being fucked.

If they nail Drogon's Pit like they nailed Hardhome then they could kill all the Starks in episode 10 and people would still come back next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if every unsullied didn't completely expect Olly to kill Jon, and for Jon to be resurrected after that exchange between him and Sam. It couldn't have been spelled out any clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom