• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

So GRRM just gave an interview where he talked about his sorta "Top 5 characters" that the show has cut but he would have liked to have seen in the show. And, in doing so he also basically reveals that certain cut characters will have a larger role in the coming books.

1. Strong Belwas
2. Jeyne Poole
3 and 4. Wilas and Garlan
5. Lady Stoneheart

On LSH and Wilas and Garlan:

Garlan is awesome, it's a pity they cut him.

What is NOT a pity is the Kettlebacks being cut. They may be important for Cersei's incarceration but fuck if I always got confused with their names ><

Kyougar

She can't really, can she? She doesn't know Jaime's been captured. For all she knows he's still working on his plan to infiltrate the Water Gardens, and she's be killing him if she outs him with a letter.

As if Cersei would care.
Knowing her, she expects Dorne to be taken over by that time

I really liked the thoery someone here had that Mel will attempt to resurrect Stannis in episode 10 as he gets hurt from Brienne or Ramsay or someone else and instead of resurrecting who she thinks is the Lord of Light it resurrects Jon Snow.

Would be an insane way to end.

I saw that as well. I guess we have to wait and see if Ramsay really does kill Stannis.

eot

Banned
I really do think a lot of show only viewers will be very upset with another Stark just dying. Hence I want to see resurrection or at least hint at it.

Otherwise 5 seasons of Starks just being fucked.

I don't want a hint at it, just for the meltdowns. Pretty sure they will drop one though.

Also, when Jon killed that Other all I could think was "Azor Ahai confirmed" and I've never liked Jon in that role as it's too obvious.

I think the most likely ending is Jon getting Olly'd but not actually dying before the credits roll (like he's lying on the ground bleeding out). Then in the pre-opening sequence of S6 the revival or whatever occurs. Would be an excellent way to start the next season.

If they're going to revive Jon in episode 10, they would have to off him somewhere around mid-episode. Given the blatant foreshadowing plus turning Jon into a bad-ass hero character last episode, I have a hard time believing the Ollying occurs at an time other than the end of the season to maximize the impact.

Iksenpets

Banned
Garlan is awesome, it's a pity they cut him.

What is NOT a pity is the Kettlebacks being cut. They may be important for Cersei's incarceration but fuck if I always got confused with their names ><

I'd be totally ok with no Garlan if they had merged more Garlan personality into Loras, instead of making every scene about how gay he is.

What if Jon's body get revived, but his mind is already in Ghost? What if Mel brings him back but his "soul" has warged? Could that set up a situation for dead Jon to be a sort of Night's King type guy?

Purkake4

Banned
m9sro.jpg

Totally thought he was going to freeze the water.

Massa

I saw that as well. I guess we have to wait and see if Ramsay really does kill Stannis.

I think it's pretty much confirmed that he doesn't at this point. I mean, Stannis is in episode 10, and it looks like that shot of Selyse crying in the snow is from episode 10 as well, while Ramsay's attack is at night and happens next week.

Jon will get stabbed and there will just be a long close up shot of his face zooming in(with no music, you just hear the wind blowing/chanting and people crying) until at the last second his eyes open white, cut to black.

Good episode, but reminded me that there's no way the budget for this show will be able to do justice to what we're all expecting to be the final battle (dragons + WW = budget fail).

I highly doubt there will be some good vs evil final battle. Pretty sure grmm has brought that up a few times in interviews as something he dislikes.

duckroll

Am I to understand from the preview that the giant just walked 300 miles in freezing water?

Get this guy a throne.

Nah I think he only had to walk to the ships. That's where they were rolling towards. The boats are too small for the giant, but the ships are much larger. He should fit.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So GRRM just gave an interview where he talked about his sorta "Top 5 characters" that the show has cut but he would have liked to have seen in the show. And, in doing so he also basically reveals that certain cut characters will have a larger role in the coming books.

1. Strong Belwas
2. Jeyne Poole
3 and 4. Wilas and Garlan
5. Lady Stoneheart

On LSH and Wilas and Garlan:

That's why I laugh when I see people say shit like "Those storylines obviously don't go anywhere that's why they cut them"

Fucking Night's King is an Undertaken mark.

Also, I just thought about it. Why the hell do they even wear armor if the only weapons with the ability to damage them at all just lead to instant explosion?

graffix13

I really liked the thoery someone here had that Mel will attempt to resurrect Stannis in episode 10 as he gets hurt from Brienne or Ramsay or someone else and instead of resurrecting who she thinks is the Lord of Light it resurrects Jon Snow.

This is what I want as well.

Which means it won't happen.

Honestly I think it's going to end with Jon getting stabbed and the seaon ends. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Jon is perma-dead just to piss people off, because that's how GoT do.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
A "big role" in the books doesn't mean much. Brienne had a big role in AFFC but her storyline was an easy cut.

Except even in that example, Septon Maribald looks like he's being cast for next season.

He says in that list that he doesn't put shit in willy nilly. People are in there and things happen for a reason, things get cut because there isn't enough time, not because the storylines are pointless.

A "big role" in the books doesn't mean much. Brienne had a big role in AFFC but her storyline was an easy cut.

Yep - GRRM basically explains the LSH cut whether he means to or not. He says some people may not think she's essential, but he thinks she is important because of the thematic implications. Basically, the effect death has on someone and how they are different afterwards.

In the show, I'm guessing they figured
1) they already discussed this with Beric, where he explicitly talks about it (theme covered)
2) they wanted to keep the surprise of a resurrection for Jon
3) they needed to condense plot lines. Keeping a main cast member alive who had been killed off and is in like 5 pages of the books, one who doesn't likely figure explicitly in the final end game (and even if she does, it may be feasible to transfer to another character) is a strain on budget/time/effort that may not have been worth it

On the other hand, GRRM does not mention ACTUAL important book characters left out like Manderly and Faegon and Victarion. So I think he gets it, he just enjoyed those five characters. I mean, Strong Belwas?

Goosebumps.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So who was that hooded man rowing jons boat at the end? I wonder why they were hiding who it was.

I see people commenting on this but I don't think he was anyone, just a random extra. In fact, if you pay close attention to the end scene you see his face.

Well, that's not exactly fair to say because we don't know what Brienne's role is at the end of everything. If he says a certain character has a large role to play in the next books that has to mean end game stuff.

Wow, that's huge.

That basically confirms that LSH is 100% cut from the show, instead of us just suspecting it and moving on with our lives.

Strong Belwas being his #1 is kind of weird.
He's a fun character, but there's not a lot to him besides liver and onions.

And his Beric explanation really gives credence to Beric -> LSH -> Jon progression as far as people who get revived.

Well, I put the numbers in but I don't think he was ranking them. What's odd to me is that he lists Jeyne Poole and while her thematic importance is certainly something I'm surprised he care that much about her. Like, the fact that fAegon isn't on his list must mean that he's either in the show (maybe Trystaegon?) or isn't terribly important.

On a different note, did anyone else love the look Jon has on his face at the end of that episode? He was just straight up legit shook after witnessing the dead get raised.

Speevy

Banned
If Stannis never reaches Winterfell, he's not going to die in combat. Melisandre would have to resurrect Jon directly.

It's all just wild speculation until we get some more details. If OSN accidentally leaked the inside the episode for episode 9, I think the internet would explode.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yep - GRRM basically explains the LSH cut whether he means to or not. He says some people may not think she's essential, but he thinks she is important because of the thematic implications. Basically, the effect death has on someone and how they are different afterwards.

In the show, I'm guessing they figured
1) they already discussed this with Beric, where he explicitly talks about it (theme covered)
2) they wanted to keep the surprise of a resurrection for Jon
3) they needed to condense plot lines. Keeping a main cast member alive who had been killed off and is in like 5 pages of the books, one who doesn't likely figure explicitly in the final end game (and even if she does, it may be feasible to transfer to another character) is a strain on budget/time/effort that may not have been worth it

On the other hand, GRRM does not mention ACTUAL important book characters left out like Manderly and Faegon and Victarion. So I think he gets it, he just enjoyed those five characters. I mean, Strong Belwas?

I feel he may not be discussing those characters because it would be too hard without talking about plot points they have planned for season 6, even without those characters present. Talking about Manderly means talking about the Rickon mission, which there may be elements of in season 6, same with Vic and the dragon horn and Kingsmoot. With Stoneheart, he can at least talk about themes of her character, without discussing any of the particular bits of plot in the Riverlands that season 6 may be revisiting.

Well, I put the numbers in but I don't think he was ranking them. What's odd to me is that he lists Jeyne Poole and while her thematic importance is certainly something I'm surprised he care that much about her. Like, the fact that fAegon isn't on his list must mean that he's either in the show (maybe Trystaegon?) or isn't terribly important.

I think bringing up Jeyne is just his way of tacitly saying he hates the show's Sansa plot.

allftw

Neo Member
That was an amazing episode but I somewhat think that saving the Night's King reveal for this episode instead of putting it in a random season 4 episode could have worked better.

Arkeband

Banned

Also, I just thought about it. Why the hell do they even wear armor if the only weapons with the ability to damage them at all just lead to instant explosion?

Armor can be ornamental. Though chasing people around like Dr. Manhattan with their dongs out would probably inspire a different kind of fear...

Judderman

drawer by drawer

We've never seen someone actually land a blow on a White Walker with a regular weapon, iirc. Maybe they can still take damage?

Bread

Banned
I hope the last 2 episodes have lots of spoilers.

I've forgotten the feeling of watching this show without any idea on where it's headed, I miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom