• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
I really liked the thoery someone here had that Mel will attempt to resurrect Stannis in episode 10 as he gets hurt from Brienne or Ramsay or someone else and instead of resurrecting who she thinks is the Lord of Light it resurrects Jon Snow.

Would be an insane way to end.

This has basically happened in the books. Mel talks about looking for Azor Ahai in the flames and seeing Jon and it's sort of unclear if she realizes what that means or if she's just frustrated her visions aren't working properly.

Anyway if they do this it lets them do a wolfhowl, cut to black as a reprieve from dragonscream, cut to black.

Fingers crossed the last two episodes aren't spoilery either.

Fingers crossed for the opposite tbh.

This has basically happened in the books. Mel talks about looking for Azor Ahai in the flames and seeing Jon and it's sort of unclear if she realizes what that means or if she's just frustrated her visions aren't working properly.

Anyway if they do this it lets them do a wolfhowl, cut to black as a reprieve from dragonscream, cut to black.

Fingers crossed for the opposite tbh.

She said all she sees is "Snow", not Jon.

We have taken that to mean the Lord of Light is giving her a clue that it's Jon Snow she should be interested in.

At least that's what my memory tells me.

edit: Ooooooh, I really like that wolf howl /dragon scream idea.

Moff

hmm that GRRM quote about stonehart sure makes me think that people might consider it going nowhere, so I am not surprised they cut it

Speevy

Banned
Do the whitewalkers have the "ultimate power source" thing? LIke if Jon killed the Night's King, would all the whitewalkers die?

Iksenpets

Banned
The show's kinda let Brienne fall off the map this season, which is an odd decision when she's such a fan favorite.

I think they wrote her out of a lot of it to avoid conflicts with Star Wars filming, similar to what happened with McNulty in season 4 of The Wire. I remember here was a delay in announcing her involvement with Star Wars versus other characters, maybe because they were working out the situation for Thrones filming to make it work.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Well when that one grabbed Sam sword mid-swing, I just figured you couldn't damage them with normal steel.

Oh right. Maybe they just think it makes them look intimidating, haha.

All these theories as to why the White Walkers are beginning to mobilize again have me so intrigued. What triggered their return? Was it Summerhall? The deaths of Brandon & Rickard Stark? Must there always be a Stark in Winterfell? Did the Long Night end with a pact between the First Men, CoTF and the White Walkers?

Were the births of Dany's dragons a response from R'hllor to combat the White Walkers down the line?

This episode reaffirms the fact that nothing south of Winterfell (Hell, I might be stretching it.) means jack shit in the long run.

Bread

Banned
I really liked the thoery someone here had that Mel will attempt to resurrect Stannis in episode 10 as he gets hurt from Brienne or Ramsay or someone else and instead of resurrecting who she thinks is the Lord of Light it resurrects Jon Snow.

Would be an insane way to end.
that would be nuts

kirblar

I'm pretty sure they're setting arya up to kill him via poisoned clams/oysters/cockles instead of a coin. And if that's right it's disappointing that they keep wanting to change things just to be different.
The clams will be the fakeout- it has to be the coin still, because the clams are too easy to trace to her.

This episode reaffirms the fact that nothing south of Winterfell (Hell, I might be stretching it.) means jack shit in the long run.

It'll be interesting to see the degree to which all the people south of the wall actually factor into the way everything ends or if the only way in which many of them matter is in the context of their own arcs.

Speevy

Banned
There's no amount of flayed men that come close to matching the Night's King. I won't be satisfied this season unless events are put in motion that might lead to Ramsay's death.

duckroll

We've never seen someone actually land a blow on a White Walker with a regular weapon, iirc. Maybe they can still take damage?

Well, I checked the stats and they have a natural immunity that blocks 95% of damage from all weapons which lack the "dragon-forged" attribute. They also have a 70% evade passive bonus. Considering how the highest DPS weapons in the world right now are all Valyrian Steel weapons, it seems unlikely that any character will be able to kill a White Walker with a normal weapon. The base damage is too low, on top of that it only does 5% of that damage, and only if it hits, which is 30% of the time. Not worth trying. I would just grind the Old Valyria passage and kill Stone Men until they drop a Valyrian Dagger at least. It's pretty shitty considering the low drop rate, but it's still more productive than trying to chip away at a White Walker with a greatsword or whatever.

Another potentially useful gif:

84eTPuF.gif

Moff

Well, I checked the stats and they have a natural immunity that blocks 95% of damage from all weapons which lack the "dragon-forged" attribute. They also have a 70% evade passive bonus. Considering how the highest DPS weapons in the world right now are all Valyrian Steel weapons, it seems unlikely that any character will be able to kill a White Walker with a normal weapon. The base damage is too low, on top of that it only does 5% of that damage, and only if it hits, which is 30% of the time. Not worth trying. I would just grind the Old Valyria passage and kill Stone Men until they drop a Valyrian Dagger at least. It's pretty shitty considering the low drop rate, but it's still more productive than trying to chip away at a White Walker with a greatsword or whatever.

too RNG, you should just farm reputation in mereen until you get the dragon mount and steamroll the white walkers with it

duckroll

too RNG, you should just farm reputation in mereen until you get the dragon mount and steamroll the white walkers with it

They nerfed that hard after a 14 year old girl managed to do it in the first month. No one else seems to be able to get dragons that way anymore. That's why the girl who did it is a Youtube celebrity now.

Speevy

Banned
The children of the forest need to lend the Night's Watch some of those trees that make whitewalkers explode when they breach the barrier.

Henkka

Banned
hmm that GRRM quote about stonehart sure makes me think that people might consider it going nowhere, so I am not surprised they cut it

It might be monumentally important for Jaime and Brienne, but I don't see it going further than that. She's a barely living husk whose only interest is hanging anyone and everyone related to the Red Wedding. She's got no interest in white walkers, dragon queens, magic horns or whatever the 'endgame' of ASOIAF will end up being.

-griffy-

Banned
So my question after seeing the battle at Hardhome is did they save any money for Drogon and Daznak's Pit?

If the preview is any indication, then yes. The dragon stuff has always been good, they know they need the budget to pull that stuff off, and this is probably the biggest dragon moment of the series. No reason they would cheap out on it at this point in the series.

Iksenpets

Banned
So my question after seeing the battle at Hardhome is did they save any money for Drogon and Daznak's Pit?

Drogon looked great when we saw him in episode 2, and the pit looks really good in the preview, so I think we should be good there. Their strategy for this season seems to have been to trudge through whatever they have to to get to the last three episodes, and then go nuts.

Oh right. Maybe they just think it makes them look intimidating, haha.

All these theories as to why the White Walkers are beginning to mobilize again have me so intrigued. What triggered their return? Was it Summerhall? The deaths of Brandon & Rickard Stark? Must there always be a Stark in Winterfell? Did the Long Night end with a pact between the First Men, CoTF and the White Walkers?

Were the births of Dany's dragons a response from R'hllor to combat the White Walkers down the line?

I love the discussion about this. The possibility of a pact between the WW and the FM/COTF. The idea that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell or that "Winter is coming" isn't a house slogan like the other houses, but it's a threat. As in, remove a Stark from Winterfell and winter will come for you. Really hope he gets back to writing.

hardhome was....interesting...with all the white walkers and their army of darkness.
i mean. hardhome was only something you read about in the books and the dire situation that was presented.
here in the show. they spare no expenses for the dramatic.
jon snow is actually there. as does all the walker kings. why?
and of course show only reveal that was fairly obvious in the books.
valyrian steel > *

and i know im not the only one who find the last shot of the episode kind of ridiculous.
20 feet from the boat and none of the wrights or walkers possess a bow and arrow or any kind of ranged attack.
sigh. so much for ruling westeros.

don't love the show aanymore. but still enjoyed the show immensely.
it's interesting to see them take the diverging path from here.

Speevy

Banned
hardhome was....interesting...with all the white walkers and their army of darkness.
i mean. hardhome was only something you read about in the books and the dire situation that was presented.
here in the show. they spare no expenses for the dramatic.
jon snow is actually there. as does all the walker kings. why?
and of course show only reveal that was fairly obvious in the books.
valyrian steel > *

and i know im not the only one who find the last shot of the episode kind of ridiculous.
20 feet from the boat and none of the wrights or walkers possess a bow and arrow or any kind of ranged attack.
sigh. so much for ruling the westeros.

Jon is one of the best archers in Westeros. He could tie a piece of dragon glass to an arrow and put it through the Night King's heart right then and there.

It was effective as a moment to show how futile it is to fight these things with traditional means.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The children of the forest need to lend the Night's Watch some of those trees that make whitewalkers explode when they breach the barrier.

Those were wights that exploded, not white walkers. I took it more as a sign that the white walker magic animating the wights had no power there, not that it would actually harm/destroy any white walkers that dared step foot there.

Damerman

Another potentially useful gif:

84eTPuF.gif

while we're on the subject... FUCK EVERYONE WHO PREDICTED THAT HE WOULD DIE!

omg, i was stressing the whole scene! i thought he was gonna die... Tormund is my main man in the north. I don't think i would be able to go on without him.

Kyougar

They nerfed that hard after a 14 year old girl managed to do it in the first month. No one else seems to be able to get dragons that way anymore. That's why the girl who did it is a Youtube celebrity now.

They really broke the game with the latest patches.
First they rolled out the Valerian Patch and suddenly the realm was overflowing with Dragons.
Then they saw what that did to the Community and nerfed the Dragons with the "Doom of Valeria" Expansion. At that point most already left.
Dragons were a rare sight and more and more people left with their dragon mounts as the years progressed. The last players with dragon Mounts made it known that they intend to leave the game and wanted to do a last battle and event. They dubbed it the Dance with Dragons.
The game was going downhill after that. The devs tried to salvage the situation and introduced Dragonmounts again. But after a backlash from of most of the remaining playerbase they pulled the Patch just hours after going live. Some girl managed to get the only dragons before that.

I think the game lost its soul after the introducing of Dragonmounts. What would i give to play Classic Westeros again. Just Andals against Stone Men and Children of the forest. :(

Anth1888

I've not read the books for a few years and I'm trying to rack my brain to remember the motivation of the Others in moving South. I remember some prophecy about Others and the Starks but apart from that I can't really remember - don't think GRRM touched upon it that much. But many of my mates who are not book readers are asking "why are they doing it" and I had no idea!

Or is is mostly fuelled by crack-pot theories.

-griffy-

Banned

omg, i was stressing the whole scene! i thought he was gonna die... Tormund is my main man in the north. I don't think i would be able to go on without him.

Actually pretty impressive they managed to make the whole sequence feel so hopeless, dangerous, and tense and the three named, "main" characters survived the ordeal (Jon, Edd and Tormund).

HBO released the first screen for "The Dance of Dragons". Looks like everyone had a blast at the pits and Meereen is at peace finally!

Just ignore that blood at the bottom of the frame! Everything turns out fine!

Speevy

Banned
With Edd surviving, it's definitely Olly that stabs Jon. Edd could convince the dunces at the Night's Watch not to mutiny at least.

foxtrot3d

Banned
They really broke the game with the latest patches.
First they rolled out the Valerian Patch and suddenly the realm was overflowing with Dragons.
Then they saw what that did to the Community and nerfed the Dragons with the "Doom of Valeria" Expansion. At that point most already left.
Dragons were a rare sight and more and more people left with their dragon mounts as the years progressed. The last players with dragon Mounts made it known that they intend to leave the game and wanted to do a last battle and event. They dubbed it the Dance with Dragons.
The game was going downhill after that. The devs tried to salvage the situation and introduced Dragonmounts again. But after a backlash from of most of the remaining playerbase they pulled the Patch just hours after going live. Some girl managed to get the only dragons before that.

I think the game lost its soul after the introducing of Dragonmounts. What would i give to play Classic Westeros again. Just Andals against Stone Men and Children of the forest. :(

This is such a typical "classic" player attitude totally warped by their nostalgia unable to see that "Westeros" is the best its ever been. You're forgetting that Dragonmounts were ridiculously OP and worst of all only confined to the Valyrian class, the only class with the racial ability "Blood of the Dragon." And, don't even start, I know what you are gonna say "regular players using other classes could use dragons too." Yeah, only after grinding in Valyria for hundreds of hours so that they could unlock one of those random high level raids where you could MAYBE pick up a Dragonhorn by slaying a Valyrian Dragon Lord. And even then the horn could only be used clan leaders who obtained the appropriate buff that prevented them from dying immediately after using the horn.

The latest patches have finally balanced the game for almost all players and races. I can't wait for "The Winds of Winter" expansion, I heard a rumor that one of the high end raid bosses would be an Ice Dragon. So cool.

Yeah didn't someone claim to have some insider knowledge and posted a thing about Tormund setting himself on fire to kill some wights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom