• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

It just always seemed silly to me that those crazy Night's Watch guys would kill Jon while they're surrounded by Wildlings, and Jon is pretty much the only one keeping the Watch-Wildling truce together.

Yea iirc in that chapter Jon looks around and sees them fighting one of the giants right before he gets stabbed...don't think that would go down too well considering its a fucking giant already inside their walls not to mention the wildlings outnumber them by a ton.

Preview:
Stannis' line about "if a man knows why he is, what choice does he have to resist his destiny" really sounds like they're going to have him consider the sacrifice. :(

Also Prince Doran demanding that Jaime swear him fealty is weird. No idea where they're going with that. Or with the continuing scenes of the Sand Snakes and Bronn in prison. Jaime forced into the service of the Martell's would be taking things completely off book. But maybe they'll find a way out of it.

He's demanding it from Ellaria and the Sand Snakes, just like in the books, trailer was just to mislead people.

Speevy

Banned
I will give the Sansa storyline one thing.

This thread would be about half the size if they had just stuck to the books.

I find Ellaria in the show so silly. In the books, she literally is the voice of reason that asks her family to not go to war, to not pursue revenge... and in the show she plots it all.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You're almost definitely right. I was thinking it'd be cool to send Jaime off to Daenerys to help broker an alliance between Targaryans and Martells.

Was anyone else confused when Qyburn went to talk with Cercei and she asks him if word had reached Jaimie? Like, did she forget that he's on a supposed top secret mission? How did she expect to get a message to him?

Speevy

Banned
Was anyone else confused when Qyburn went to talk with Cercei and she asks him if word had reached Jaimie? Like, did she forget that he's on a supposed top secret mission? How did she expect to get a message to him?

She's a little fuzzy on account of being hit on the head with that spoon over and over.

Sean C

Ok, so thinking it through, this is how I hope the Northern stuff resolves, given where we are at this point.

1. While Ramsay is out, Theon wanders the castle and comes to the godswood, where he makes his confession to the heart tree. He decides saving Sansa is his only path towards atonement, so he goes and plants the candle and gets Sansa. Brienne arrives and takes Sansa. Theon plans to stay, but Sansa insists he's coming with them. Brienne asks who he is, and he tells her his name is Theon Greyjoy. On the way out, they run into Myranda, who wonders who Brienne is and what Sansa is doing out. Sansa shanks her with the corkscrew and leaves her for Ramsay to find.
The show set up Sansa using Ramsay's concern about his potential baby brother against him, so I think there has to be some payoff for that -- or I hope there is, given that that would be the only thing Sansa has done at Winterfell that is actually related to the skill-set she is supposed to be developing. So I don't think they'll be leaving while Ramsay is away.

I find Ellaria in the show so silly. In the books, she literally is the voice of reason that asks her family to not go to war, to not pursue revenge... and in the show she plots it all.

You're confusing Ellaria and Arianne.

Arianne is very much missed in the Dorne scenes this season, however. Her internal conflict was what prevented the stupidity of that first Sand Snakes scene.

dabig2

You're confusing Ellaria and Arianne.

Arianne is very much missed in the Dorne scenes this season, however. Her internal conflict was what prevented the stupidity of that first Sand Snakes scene.

I think that's his point with the show. The show merged Ellaria and Arianne together, but in doing so also obliterated Allaria's character from the books. So more like a hostile takeover than a merge.

fake edit: beaten.

ryseing

The next episode will have scenes from dorne unforunately.

Statements like these make me sad.

Goddamn Dorne could have been great.

So anyone else think Lady Stoneheart will be in the finale, even if its just a reference to her? They introduced the brotherhood, so they need them to do something. Even if they have been gone all season.

Give it up already. It's not going to happen.

Massa

She asked if there was word of Jaime, for example if Qyburn learned of anything happening to him, or if he had sent word that he was coming back, something along those lines I'd imagine.

I fucking love Stannis. One True King! I've never been interested in Dany actually getting back a throne she doesn't deserve. She really can do so much more for the world elsewhere. I swear to the many faced God, if he actually sacrifices his daughter, I will lose my shit >: (

Razmos

Was just reading back to the posts from yesterday and someone raised the point of Bran being able to warg into Dany's dragons.

Holy shit how did I never consider that?
Arya and Jon should warg into the other 2 for some epic Stark Dragon action.

Kuroyume

Banned
Beric Dondarrion is a perfect example.

Remember when you were rooting for The Hound to die because Arya wanted revenge?

Now, The Hound won and you were like ah well, The Hound lives. Shit sucks. But then Beric came back, and I felt nothing. I wasn't relieved or amazed or anything. It was just like wow there he is again. What was the point of that?

I have always rooted for The Hound. He's the man. Fuck Arya.

Was just reading back to the posts from yesterday and someone raised the point of Bran being able to warg into Dany's dragons.

Holy shit, that is a game changer!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

This is like, the entire point of warging and is the ultimate endgame: who rides/controls the dragons to put down the long winter? Either Starks or Targs or down combination of the two.

XAL

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
o7W8V9y.gif

Birgitte Hjort Sorensen <3

Holy shit, that is a game changer!

I honestly had to check what thread I was in for a second!

Ok, so thinking it through, this is how I hope the Northern stuff resolves, given where we are at this point.

1. While Ramsay is out, Theon wanders the castle and comes to the godswood, where he makes his confession to the heart tree. He decides saving Sansa is his only path towards atonement, so he goes and plants the candle and gets Sansa. Brienne arrives and takes Sansa. Theon plans to stay, but Sansa insists he's coming with them. Brienne asks who he is, and he tells her his name is Theon Greyjoy. On the way out, they run into Myranda, who wonders who Brienne is and what Sansa is doing out. Sansa shanks her with the corkscrew and leaves her for Ramsay to find.

5. Stannis sets out, badly weakened but alive. Theon, Sansa, Brienne and Prodrick run into him on the way. We leave off here before we can see how Brienne chooses to react to Stannis.

Agreed and agreed. Great use of the corkscrew, makes perfect sense for show!Sansa.

-griffy-

Banned
I thought she asked if there was any word of or from Jaime, not if word had reached Jaime.

Razmos

I wonder if Sansa can warg. Or if like she needed Lady to help her be able to do that.
I'd imagine all the stark children can.

I'm still quite curious as to what the Direwolves were about. Lots of magical crazy stuff has happened since the series began, and it has never really been explained why there just happened to be the same amount of Direwolves as there was Stark children.

That being said they haven't really done much throughout the series, and now 2 of them are dead. I completely forgot about Nymeria also, since she hasn't been mentioned in the show for a long time.

It's obvious the dragons play a big part, but what are the wolves for?

Tabris

The wolves just represent the Stark children. I doubt anything end game.

Sansa has been so disconnected with the Starks ever since her wolf was killed.

Nymeria and Arya are wild.

Ghost defends the The Night Watch.

Iksenpets

Banned
The show set up Sansa using Ramsay's concern about his potential baby brother against him, so I think there has to be some payoff for that -- or I hope there is, given that that would be the only thing Sansa has done at Winterfell that is actually related to the skill-set she is supposed to be developing. So I don't think they'll be leaving while Ramsay is away.

I think this late in the game, the only way the baby matters is if the Boltons survive deep enough into season 6 to have story development that we can't guess about yet. Otherwise, I think the baby is just because they felt the need to humanize Ramsay. It gave them a chance to show how much he needs his father's approval, which is the only thing they really have to ground him as a real person.

Sean C

I think this late in the game, the only way the baby matters is if the Boltons survive deep enough into season 6 to have story development that we can't guess about yet. Otherwise, I think the baby is just because they felt the need to humanize Ramsay. It gave them a chance to show how much he needs his father's approval, which is the only thing they really have to ground him as a real person.
They specifically showed Sansa taking note of his reaction to the news, and then showed her needling him about it. It would be really disappointing if that was just for a one-liner, seeing as Sansa is supposed to be learning to manipulate people.

I wonder if Sansa can warg. Or if like she needed Lady to help her be able to do that.
GRRM confirmed that all of the Stark children are wargs, but their abilities have developed asymmetrically, and it's clear that contact with their wolves is to a great degree driving it.

That isn't to say that Sansa couldn't develop further as a skinchanger, since, as far as we can see, most skinchangers don't have a specific totem animal, but I don't think she's likely to in the course of the plot.

scosher

Such a fantastic episode all around. But it really shone a light on how bad everything in Dorne has been handled. Even minor characters like that wildling chieftess felt more fully developed in 15 minutes of screentime than all the Sand Snakes combined. And as far as I recall, that was a made-up character.

Although for me, the one downside is that Val is almost certainly cut from the show. Hardhome would've been the ideal time to introduce such a character, but looks like she's been dropped completely.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Such a fantastic episode all around. But it really shone a light on how bad everything in Dorne has been handled. Even minor characters like that wildling chieftess felt more fully developed in 15 minutes of screentime than all the Sand Snakes combined. And as far as I recall, that was a made-up character.

Although for me, the one downside is that Val is almost certainly cut from the show. Hardhome would've been the ideal time to introduce such a character, but looks like she's been dropped completely.

Her cut makes sense, she has no purpose (as far as we know) outside of finding Tormund for Jon in ADWD. Show Jon already has Tormund.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Not only more developed, also more badass than the "badass" trio.

Not sure this is fair considering we haven't had 15 minutes between all the sand snakes and half of the time we have had with them was dedicated to boobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom