• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drazgul

The dagger that Lf owned

Daggers aren't swords! :p

There's some more valyrian steel around, true, but as far as named swords go, they are rare in Westeros.

But I suppose they could take all those maesters' valyrian steel links and melt them down into arrowheads.

golem

The show is going to end long before the book series is complete - even if they go 8 seasons, it'll still end up spoiling all of the major events from the books unless GRRM either 1. changes things from what he originally told D&D or 2. pulls an irl twist and reveals that ADOS is already done and will be out a year after TWOW.

Well, he says he realizes he should have done it last time

Looking back, Martin says his one regret is not plowing ahead into Winds after finishing 2011’s A Dance with Dragons.

“I was red hot on the book and I put it aside for six months” he says. “I was so into it. I was pushing so hard that I was writing very well. I should have just gone on from there, because I was so into it and it was moving so fast then. But I didn’t because I had to switch gears into the editing phase and then the book tour. The iron does cool off, for me especially.”

I dont believe he will though

The show is going to end long before the book series is complete - even if they go 8 seasons, it'll still end up spoiling all of the major events from the books unless GRRM either 1. changes things from what he originally told D&D or 2. pulls an irl twist and reveals that ADOS is already done and will be out a year after TWOW.

There is more chance of him announcing another book between TWoW and ADoS.

Winds of Winter coming out before season 6 would be a nice surprise. Can't see it happening, though. I just don't wanna get disappointed again.

And I know Stoneheart's been cut, but we've had three family-related titles for finale episodes in a row now. At this point they're just being cruel. :lol

He's not, he just doesn't want to accept that show Ellaria is different from book Ellaria. Show Ellaria is basically Arianne.

I can accept character changes, I just think it's silly that, of all the Dornish characters to get Arianne folded into them, it's the one that heavily opposes any of these plots of revenge and ambition.

I think that's his point with the show. The show merged Ellaria and Arianne together, but in doing so also obliterated Allaria's character from the books. So more like a hostile takeover than a merge.

fake edit: beaten.

Just made dumb instead of jealous and ambitious.

And this, too. Arianne's whole arc is based around her being jealous of Quentyn potentially getting picked to rule Dorne ahead of her, so she wants to take matters in her own hands. She's also an incredibly deep character with various struggles.
In the meantime, Ellaria, as little as we see of her, knows exactly what kind of bloody mess both Arianne and Doran can start if they continue their pursuit of vengeance against the Lannisters. Remember that all the participants in the murder of Elia Martell and her children (Tywin, Mountain and Amory Lorch) are dead at this point, but Doran continues to want to bring down the Lannisters. She implores Doran to end it there, and he sends and locks her away.

Show Ellaria is just like "hurp durp surnd snerkz".

Fantastic episode. I enjoyed every minute of it. The Tyrion and Dany scenes were great. And that ending... just wow.

When they first cut to Hardhome, I was like "Do they really wanna stay there the whole remaining episode? What about my man Stannis?" But it delivered greatly.

I'm amazed that there are still so many people around that believe Jon will stay dead for good after being stabbed. If GRRM goes through with this, he is a complete moron. What was the fucking purpose of Jon Show and all his deeds if he's nonchalantly killed?

Especially after the episode clearly showed that he is Azor Ahai.

Gila

Wait, the Night's King was said to be a Stark and Lord Commander of the Nights Watch during the age of heroes? I don't remember reading about that clearly...

NeoGiff

I seriously have to stop watching Elio's and Linda's reviews.

I'm 5 minutes in. Please summarise it as I could be doing much better things but need to know what bullshit they've come up with this time.

Edit: Fuck this, I'm out. Ten minutes of crying over why Dany and Tyrion shouldn't have met is driving me insane.

I'm 5 minutes in. Please summarise it as I could be doing much better things but need to know what bullshit they've come up with this time.

Edit: Fuck this, I'm out. Ten minutes of crying over why Dany and Tyrion shouldn't have met is driving me insane.

For shame...you could have used THE gif.

duckroll

I wonder if this is also exactly how they feel about watching the show at this point too. Lol. They should probably stop if that's the case.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So who kills Jon? I don't care about spoilers. It's the shitty little kid isn't it?

And fucking why? I'm all for curve balls and being different, but you know what? Sometimes you need a hero in your story grmm :/

Joni

So who kills Jon? I don't care about spoilers. It's the shitty little kid isn't it?

And fucking why? I'm all for curve balls and being different, but you know what? Sometimes you need a hero in your story grmm :/

It is Sam. The shitty little kid doesn't exist in the books.

Moff

mark my words, it will be the wildling mother from last episode
episode 10 is called mothers mercy, coincidence? come on.

the nights king will ask her to kill the nightwatch leaders, but she refuses for she swore an oath. an oath that needs to be kept even as a wight. and when the night's king threatens to turn her children into wights she gives in. jon might even understand and do the deed himself.

In the books, it was several different brothers that stabbed him including Bowen Marsh.

The last three minutes made me legit scared to go out and walk my dog. Shit made me believe that shit was OUT THERE. that it could all be happening RIGHT NOW and I was IN DANGER

WTHHHHH

There's no Olly in the books, but there's enough foreshadowing that you prety much know what's going to go down.
In the show, we had that conversation between Olly and Sam:

"I really don't like what Jon is doing. I'm considering doing something really drastic, but people might think it's bad."

"Don't worry about Jon. He always comes back."

Iksenpets

Banned

Honest answer, if you want full spoilers: the character who leads the assassination in the books hasn't been introduced except as a background extra (it's several minor characters who all ultimately stab him together though). Everyone figured they've been building up either the kid or Alisser Thorne to do it instead, but they've been laying it on really thick with the Olly foreshadowing.

The reason is because Jon plans the march the Wildling army on Winterfell to kill Ramsay and rescue his sister from the Boltons. He receives a really awful letter from Ramsay basically gloating about all of his crimes and threatening the Watch that goads him into doing this. Everyone views it as a betrayal of his vows, and knows that if he fails the Boltons will destroy the entire Watch, so they stop him. This is kind of weird for the show, because it's Jon's allies who do it, and the show doesn't really have a character who fits that mold.

If Alisser does it, it'll be really hard to separate it from the fact that Alisser has hated him all along, and if Olly does it, it'll be really hard to separate from the fact that Olly really, really hates Wildlings. Olly doesn't exist in the books, btw. Of course, they may be planning on changing the reasoning for the show.

Oh, also everyone who's read the books is pretty sure that Jon gets resurrected through some sort of magical shenanigans involving Melisandre, Bran, warging into his wolf, or some combination thereof, so don't worry too much.

The 4 generals (one of them being the NK I think) then are still alive I think, I thought the walker Jon killed was one of them. I wonder what their powers are...

Someone on reddit had some good speculation

is NK able to control the walkers via warging by any chance? The powers that Starks have but at a monumental scale and of course ability to control dead bodies.

The 4 generals (one of them being the NK I think) then are still alive I think, I thought the walker Jon killed was one of them. I wonder what their powers are...

Someone on reddit had some good speculation

is NK able to control the walkers via warging by any chance? The powers that Starks have but at a monumental scale and of course ability to control dead bodies.

Wasn't there a possibility that the NK was a Stark? Umbers and Boltons were mentioned too I think.

Crisco

Banned
I dunno why people think Jon's too important to die. From what we've seen, he's not important at all. Fire is important, Valyrian steel and Dragonglass are important, but Jon's just a dude.

I dunno why people think Jon's too important to die. From what we've seen, he's not important at all. Fire is important, Valyrian steel and Dragonglass are important, but Jon's just a dude.

No, the character of Jon holds far more narrative significance than those things.

Madness

He's the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, aka a song of ice and fire. He's both a Stark, and a Targaryen. So he's got the blood of the first men, the North in him, with the blood of the Dragon, and ancient Valyria. He's essentially the main character.

When I was a show only watcher, there were numerous things that spoiled it for me in a sense. Sean Bean in interviews saying he's a bastard, he's not mine, in one interview, Kit said GRRM told him his characters fate, about love and said it was somewhat like a Luke and Leia situation, aka didn't know they were somehow related which is what I think will be the endgame, when Winter has come, the horn has shattered the wall, and Dany is finally in Westeros with her dragons.

Jetman

So got in an argument with a fellow book reader today. The Night King is a Stark, right? I could have sworn Bran or Old Nan's story about the Night King when he ruled over the Nightfort said he was a Stark?

So got in an argument with a fellow book reader today. The Night King is a Stark, right? I could have sworn Bran or Old Nan's story about the Night King when he ruled over the Nightfort said he was a Stark?
Thought it was couched as "some say Stark or perhaps an Umber or Bolton." I'll try to find the quotes.

Altazor

from the wiki:

She said some people believe the Night's King was a Bolton, a Magnar of Skagos, an Umber, a Flint, a Norrey, or a Woodfoot. However, she identifies the Night's King as a Stark of Winterfell and brother to the King of the North and hints his name was Brandon.

ChaosXVI

It's also possible that the Night King in the show is not the same "Night King" as described in the books, and that the show's Night King = The Books' Great Other. They may have used this name instead since the show never refers to White Walkers as Others.

It's also possible that the Night King in the show is not the same "Night King" as described in the books, and that the show's Night King = The Books' Great Other. They may have used this name instead since the show never refers to White Walkers as Others.

Yep. It's jumping to conclusions to say the show's Night King and the book's Night's King are one and the same.

Crisco

Banned
He's the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, aka a song of ice and fire. He's both a Stark, and a Targaryen. So he's got the blood of the first men, the North in him, with the blood of the Dragon, and ancient Valyria. He's essentially the main character..

Sure, if you believe that the whole story is just a fulfillment of an old Nan's tale. I don't think GRRM or D&D have an ending in mind as clean as the Azor Ahai prophecy.

He's the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, aka a song of ice and fire. He's both a Stark, and a Targaryen. So he's got the blood of the first men, the North in him, with the blood of the Dragon, and ancient Valyria. He's essentially the main character.

When I was a show only watcher, there were numerous things that spoiled it for me in a sense. Sean Bean in interviews saying he's a bastard, he's not mine, in one interview, Kit said GRRM told him his characters fate, about love and said it was somewhat like a Luke and Leia situation, aka didn't know they were somehow related which is what I think will be the endgame, when Winter has come, the horn has shattered the wall, and Dany is finally in Westeros with her dragons.

This was actually an interview with Alfie Allen!

Alfie Allen interview

What did you ask him about in return?
You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

Forkball

Been Splatooning/Witchering so I didn't get to post my thoughts. The interaction between Tyrion and Dae-HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT FUCKING ZOMBIES JUMPING OFF CLIFFS AND AND THE NIGHTS KING IS INSTAREZZIN ARMIES I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE HOW MUCH MANA THAT CONSUMES

The mutiny seems a bit less believable now after all that though. Jon needs to come out and say, "Look guys, I just saw some blue dudes fucking massacre everyone. If you don't believe me, ask Edd and PS look at this fucking giant who is scared shitless. If anyone doubts me I fucking dare you to march down there I just dare you."

Seriously thinking about doing a read/re-read thread for the series. It will probably take 6 months if I divide it evenly, but I thought it would be a good place to read the books again, together. Go over things we notice, foreshadowing possibilities, etc.
That'd be fun during the break between seasons. I've been considering a leisurely reread of the series. What is the 6 months estimate based on? One chapter every ___ days?

I was discussing the walkers with a friend and he brought up a great point, why don't the walkers build or steal boats and simply sail to westeros? Has this been explained cause if seems a bit to obvious a way to get around the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom