• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno why people think Jon's too important to die. From what we've seen, he's not important at all. Fire is important, Valyrian steel and Dragonglass are important, but Jon's just a dude.

The whole nobody's safe is a bit of an illusion, at least until the real endgame. Characters like Arya, Bran, Jon and Dany are mostly safe until the end. Jon has been built up far too much with his parentage, the hints about the Luke Skywalker situation and Melisandre to be randomly killed. It doesn't make sense narratively in the way Robb or Ned did.

It'd be like killing off Dany before she even got to Westeros.

Of course, the whole Azor Ahai is definitely a red herring. Grrm has openly spoken many times about how he loves totally misleading prophecies.

I agree with the theory that the night king in the show is the great other in the books.

Hasn't he said the gods would never be revealed? He wanted to mirror real life religions but in these books there is magic/miracles but different interpretations of where that magic/power comes from and nobody will definitely know.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Others/WW's intentions are. There's zero chance they are straight up evil.

Thorgal

What needs to happen is that Ice gets reforged. Brienne doesn't deserve Oathkeeper, she's done nothing but fuck things up.

Then Jon can dualwield Ice and Longclaw because video games have shown that dualwielding is totally badass.

But Jon is Already dual wielding two "Swords " .

One is used to slay White ones and the other to slay redheaded Wildlings .

Kaladin

I am anxious to see what the series does with almighty tree god Bran at this point. How will they go off the rails with him and his new found powers?

Surely he can't be forgotten.

The whole nobody's safe is a bit of an illusion, at least until the real endgame. Characters like Arya, Bran, Jon and Dany are mostly safe until the end. Jon has been built up far too much with his parentage, the hints about the Luke Skywalker situation and Melisandre to be randomly killed. It doesn't make sense narratively in the way Robb or Ned did.

It'd be like killing off Dany before she even got to Westeros.

Of course, the whole Azor Ahai is definitely a red herring. Grrm has openly spoken many times about how he loves totally misleading prophecies.

Hasn't he said the gods would never be revealed? He wanted to mirror real life religions but in these books there is magic/miracles but different interpretations of where that magic/power comes from and nobody will definitely know.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Others/WW's intentions are. There's zero chance they are straight up evil.

I guess by great other I meant leader of the others. Sorry.

If you have issues or concerns about the other thread, please PM a moderator rather than posting them in here. It tends to derail the thread. Thank you.

hiryu

So I finally watched this last night. Easily one of the best episodes in the history of the series. All of the scenes were good. Cersei in prison, Dany and Tyrion were awesome. Reek and Sansa were even good. The last 20 minutes was epic and looked amazing. Too bad the rest of this season has been awful.

Euron

Still not as high as season 4 (probably from the streaming services), but proves last weeks numbers was because of a holiday and not a mass dropping haha.
After Hardhome next week is going to absolutely surpass that. And the double whammy of Hardhome and Daznak's Pit will probably make the season finale the highest viewed episode in the series or close to it.

Iksenpets

Banned
He did the nasty in the pasty?

And now he'll be the only one immune when Bran and Bloodraven try to warg the entire world due to his lack of the delta brainwave! It all fits!

After Hardhome next week is going to absolutely surpass that. And the double whammy of Hardhome and Daznak's Pit will probably make the season finale the highest viewed episode in the series or close to it.

I'm not sure if they can get back up above the season 5 premier's 8 million viewers, but I definitely think they can get back up over season 4, and set season 6 up to premier even more strongly. They're definitely over the hump. They've gotten past the really dull parts of the books and into the pretty solid ending material.

Rixxan

i added on to this business insider graph, think its semi accurate

its good that THAT episode garnered that many viewers, it may mean another boost next week because of how well received it was

74e3a62e7c5d5ca6c87a5e8f7282dedd.jpg

HawkeyeIC

You'd think Episode 9 would be the highest rated regardless since that's when 'something big always happens'

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
And now he'll be the only one immune when Bran and Bloodraven try to warg the entire world due to his lack of the delta brainwave! It all fits!

I'm not sure if they can get back up above the season 5 premier's 8 million viewers, but I definitely think they can get back up over season 4, and set season 6 up to premier even more strongly. They're definitely over the hump. They've gotten past the really dull parts of the books and into the pretty solid ending material.

I smell a royalty check

Massa

Is Daznaks Pit really that big though? I don't know. I guess I feel like its not a huge event. I didn't even feel it was big even when reading ADWD.

Dany rides her dragon for the first time just as he's about to get murdered, leaving that shithole of a plot mess behind. It's pretty damn big.

Now that Tyrion has already met Dany: Do you think she will still be carried away by her dragon at the end of the season? Somehow I have a feeling that it isn't going to happen.

Also it's funny how the show has already set up the Night King as the main antagonist, while in the books he's been barely mentioned.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good episode but somethings annoyed me...little things. and i hate how invincible jon is.

It reminds me of how the white walker he was fighting had so many opportunities to stab him, yet instead just opts to grab and throw him, or punch him. It's like in Terminator Salvation where the terminator keeps throwing John Conner around instead of actually, you know, terminating...like he did to some minor character in 2 seconds.

Now that Tyrion has already met Dany: Do you think she will still be carried away by her dragon at the end of the season? Somehow I have a feeling that it isn't going to happen.

Also it's funny how the show has already set up the Night King as the main antagonist, while in the books he's been barely mentioned.

Since the Pit is next episode, she will definitely fly away on Drogon. I have a feeling it might be Jorah's last episode. They are saving Jon stabby stab stab for the last scene.

I hope they don't have it happen at then end and rather in the middle of the episode.

Iksenpets

Banned

Episode description spoilers, plus a bit of season six casting:
I didn't think they were going to do it, but the episode ten description says Dany is "surrounded by strangers", which seems to confirm the final scene with the Dothraki. And the making of blog for the show has a shot of what appeared to be Drogon's lair full of charred bones. Also, season six casting has a character that really sounds like a Dothraki khal for that plot. I'm pretty convinced that I was wrong and it's happening.

TRios Zen

Re-watched, and just now able to re-join the thread. Agree that this was a great episode really hitting all the right notes here.

I wish they could pull off this quality with Dorne, but the plot there is so muddied and dumb right now. To be fair I think Winterfell Sansa plot is also muddied and dumb, but damn AA can carry a scene like no other.

Don't know how we are going to get a Jon stabbing this week though, I mean that CANT happen until the wildings are through the gate. Stabbing him while the free men are there would equal war I'd guess, which makes no sense.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Since the Pit is next episode, she will definitely fly away on Drogon. I have a feeling it might be Jorah's last episode. They are saving Jon stabby stab stab for the last scene.

I hope they don't have it happen at then end and rather in the middle of the episode.
Drogon is gonna try to fry Jorah but his greyscale is gonna protect him the same way Shireen will walk out of Melisandre's fire unscathed and freak her out.

Iksenpets

Banned
Re-watched, and just now able to re-join the thread. Agree that this was a great episode really hitting all the right notes here.

I wish they could pull off this quality with Dorne, but the plot there is so muddied and dumb right now. To be fair I think Winterfell Sansa plot is also muddied and dumb, but damn AA can carry a scene like no other.

Don't know how we are going to get a Jon stabbing this week though, I mean that CANT happen until the wildings are through the gate. Stabbing him while the free men are there would equal war I'd guess, which makes no sense.

Pretty sure that's episode 10 at this point. And yeah, Dorne and Winterfell are both off, but Winterfell at least has an established cast with incredible actors to carry it through the crappy parts. Dorne really needed to nail those characters to pull off a new plot that far removed from everything, but the writing just wasn't there. They're giving it episode 9 screentime though, so hopefully they have some good stuff planned there so we can all feel better about it.

Drazgul

Drogon is gonna try to fry Jorah but his greyscale is gonna protect him the same way Shireen will walk out of Melisandre's fire unscathed and freak her out.

That'd make for some weaksauce dragonfire, considering Jorah's greyscale is in its earliest stage still.

Massa

It doesn't look like there's anything left for Jorah so I do hope they give him a good death this season. Maybe he'll set the two dragons free to save them from the harpies? Or maybe he'll go the Night's Watch and eventually link up with Dany again for the finale.

TRios Zen

Pretty sure that's episode 10 at this point. And yeah, Dorne and Winterfell are both off, but Winterfell at least has an established cast with incredible actors to carry it through the crappy parts. Dorne really needed to nail those characters to pull off a new plot that far removed from everything, but the writing just wasn't there. They're giving it episode 9 screentime though, so hopefully they have some good stuff planned there so we can all feel better about it.

Would be great if they could put some depth to the Dornish characters, it wasn't my favorite part of the books, but they were definitely more nuanced then they've given them on the show.

IN other news, man killing Shireen, even if expected, is gonna suck. I really want Stan the Man to protect his little girl, at all costs. He's all she's got, since the mother has wanted to burn her since birth apparently.

mantidor

Something I don't get is the faith forcing Cercei to confess and Qyburn suggesting it, why would she do it? Wouldn't that basically put her head on a spike? or are the faith now overrulling every law system in place? Margeary and Joras have petty crimes and only crimes against the fanatics, on the other hand Cercei killed a king and put a bastard on the throne, it's a whole different level.

Something I don't get is the faith forcing Cercei to confess and Qyburn suggesting it, why would she do it? Wouldn't that basically put her head on a spike? or are the faith now overrulling every law system in place? Margeary and Joras have petty crimes and only crimes against the fanatics, on the other hand Cercei killed a king and put a bastard on the throne, it's a whole different level.

As the High Sparrow said, if one confesses (before being found guilty at trial), then the Faith can show the Mother's Mercy (assumed to be some sort of clemency).

-griffy-

Banned

Those who confess will be granted the Mother's mercy, as the High Sparrow said. If she doesn't confess she'll go to trial.

Kain

The HS wouldn't kill the mother queen, he just wants to publicly humiliate her. Some say because he wants to teach a lesson to the nobles. Those of us who know the truth say it's because he is Howland Reed and he's getting revenge for the Starks. Winter is coming.

An article on WiC reminded me, that Randyll Tarly is in possesion of Heartsbane, a Valyrian blade.

After what we seen in Hardhome, it's a good guess that the sword may be the reason we are going to see a lot of him next season, if the casting rumor are to be believed.

That would mean, that Valyrian steel and the weapons forged from it, are central to the endgame.

mantidor

As the High Sparrow said, if one confesses (before being found guilty at trial), then the Faith can show the Mother's Mercy (assumed to be some sort of clemency).

I get that but is this a new thing? Could have Ned asked for mother's mercy? From what you guys are saying I'm understanding this is a faith thing, which now has overruled everything, even the freaking king himself, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Bread

Banned
It reminds me of how the white walker he was fighting had so many opportunities to stab him, yet instead just opts to grab and throw him, or punch him. It's like in Terminator Salvation where the terminator keeps throwing John Conner around instead of actually, you know, terminating...like he did to some minor character in 2 seconds.
Yeah like the beginning of the fight where Jon is looking for the dragon glass, why didn't the WW just stick a sword through his back and move on...oh well I can overlook it.

Ogimachi

An article on WiC reminded me, that Randyll Tarly is in possesion of Heartsbane, a Valyrian blade.

After what we seen in Hardhome, it's a good guess that the sword may be the reason we are going to see a lot of him next season, if the casting rumor are to be believed.

That would mean, that Valyrian steel and the weapons forged from it, are central to the endgame.
I think the sword may come into play, but I doubt that had anything to do with the decision to show Randyll Tarly.

Something huge is going to happen in Oldtown (I stand by my theory that the Citadel will be sacked and burned a la Great Library of Alexandria, something GRRM mentioned numerous times as a historical event that fascinates him), Sam wouldn't have much to do at the Wall otherwise, he'll be able to replace Aemon's role in the NW, and it's a chance to explore Sam's life before taking the black.
Plus the father and son dynamic which pretty much shaped Sam's character and upbringing.

Real Hero

Darkstar is totally going to wield the sword of the morning and destroy the great other. They will have to include him in the show for this reason

-griffy-

Banned
I get that but is this a new thing? Could have Ned asked for mother's mercy? From what you guys are saying I'm understanding this is a faith thing, which now has overruled everything, even the freaking king himself, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

The Sparrows are re-instituting old forms of justice. Ned was also asked to confess, and he did if you'll recall, and was told he could take the black as punishment. But Joffrey ordered him to be executed on the spot in spite of his (false) confession. Tommen isn't as headstrong and the crown doesn't hold as much power now as it did then.

No, Ned was accused for treason. An offense to the King and the realm. It has nothing to do with the Faith. It was a political execution.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Isn't the blade Jon gave Arya also made of Valyrian steel?

Yes, Jon Snow, the bastard of Winterfell, managed to acquire some Valyrian Steel just for Arya which he was able to give to Mikken, the castle forge master. Mikken, being a world renowned smithy, was able to take this Valyrian Steel from Jon Snow never questioning where he got it from and why he would waste it on such a small sword and never informing Ned Stark his liege Lord about such a precious find, was able to craft a small Valyrian Steel Braavosi blade for Arya. He managed to accomplish this task via the dragon which slept beneath the crypts of Winterfell and by the secret aid of Maester Luwin, a self professed practitioner of the "Higher Mysteries," who had knowledge of the secret spells the Ancient Valyrians imbued within Valyrian Steel Swords. Once completed by Mikken, Jon Snow gave this wonderful new weapon to Arya, his little half-sister, who as far as he knew would never get into a real battle requiring such a legendary blade and that no one would ever question or try to take such a rare blade from her..

Or not.

No, it was forged in Winterfell.

There are seven known Valyrian blades around. But the only ones of significance seem to be Longclaw, Oathbreaker, Heartsbane and the one Joffrey had (if it still exists).

You probably mean oathkeeper
Jeffrey's is Lion's paw, donno what happened of it, probably buried with him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom