• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was discussing the walkers with a friend and he brought up a great point, why don't the walkers build or steal boats and simply sail to westeros? Has this been explained cause if seems a bit to obvious a way to get around the wall.

It's not explained. But we don't know what the walkers plans or motivations are, or how the magic of the Wall works.

SpaceHorror

based on what? I would be very surprised if GRRM or D&D said that

It came from an old outline from the early 90's that leaked. Back when ASoIaF was supposed to be a trilogy. Lots of things have changed, so who knows if this is still the case when it is all said and done.

I can see them being the survivors, though.

Forkball

I was discussing the walkers with a friend and he brought up a great point, why don't the walkers build or steal boats and simply sail to westeros? Has this been explained cause if seems a bit to obvious a way to get around the wall.

Who is going to build this boat? The zombies? I'm trying to imagine them enacting this plan.

The Night's King: How is the fleet progress coming along?
The Night's Shipbuilder: Well, a lot of arms are falling off when trying to put up the mast, plus some of the crew don't have eyes so they aren't much help.

Plus, the odds are a bit more even at sea since you could easily sink a ship without ever coming in contact with the crew. The white walkers' powers are based on coming in direct contact with humans, so why not just zerg everyone instead of risking being cast into the bottom of the ocean by a superior naval force?

AkuMifune

Banned
I can see them being the survivors, though.

Survivors? it's pretty obvious the White Walkers win. All of Westeros is wiped out because man refused to put aside the petty Game of Thrones and face the real threat. It's GRRM's lesson to all mankind, and with the world watching it will make us all stand back and re-shift our focus towards humanity. /drops mic

He's the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, aka a song of ice and fire. He's both a Stark, and a Targaryen. So he's got the blood of the first men, the North in him, with the blood of the Dragon, and ancient Valyria. He's essentially the main character.
This again.. I seriously hope we don't have shonen protagonism in this series. GRRM was really good in not favoring any character as special in the books and I hope he keeps it.

This again.. I seriously hope we don't have shonen protagonism in this series. GRRM was really good in not favoring any character as special in the books and I hope he keeps it.

How exactly is he favoring Jon if this is true? With all the hints pretty much unofficially confirming R + L = J. I think he's had that planned since the beginning.

Every character that has a POV is a main character imo.

SpaceHorror

Survivors? it's pretty obvious the White Walkers win. All of Westeros is wiped out because man refused to put aside the petty Game of Thrones and face the real threat. It's GRRM's lesson to all mankind, and with the world watching it will make us all stand back and re-shift our focus towards humanity. /drops mic

tumblr_inline_mor1h7S6VT1qz4rgp.gif

How exactly is he favoring Jon if this is true? With all the hints pretty much unofficially confirming R + L = J. I think he's had that planned since the beginning.

Every character that has a POV is a main character imo.
Dude I quoted said he was essentially the main character. That's my concern.

Jetman

it's never said who he was I think.

Thought it was couched as "some say Stark or perhaps an Umber or Bolton." I'll try to find the quotes.

from the wiki:

Ok, well, him being a Stark sounds like the coolest,least boring option, so I think I'll stick with that.
For Nan to even hint that, and that line being the only past of a character who is turning out to be a major antagonist can't be chance.
Could have swore in the Blu-Ray extra's for Season 2 or 3 they mention him being a Stark too, but I'll have to look around...

I'm 5 minutes in. Please summarise it as I could be doing much better things but need to know what bullshit they've come up with this time.

Edit: Fuck this, I'm out. Ten minutes of crying over why Dany and Tyrion shouldn't have met is driving me insane.

-Hardhome was "meh"
-Tyrion and Dany didn't have enough dramatic weight and they're making Dany going to Westeros all about the common people(which they're not)
-other stupid shit

So many of their criticisms of the show are with the show just being different from the books. They make it sound like it's another reason but their extreme bias is abundantly clear, to an embarrassing degree. Or they'll make fun of certain aspects of the show like only it has those problems, even though the books have very similar problems.

The crazy thing is that if GRRM wrote that Hardhome sequence line for line like it is in the show in ADWD they would both be salivating about how amazing it was in the show. But because it was mostly made by D&D, it's just alright. And this goes for a lot of book readers, not just them.

Iksenpets

Banned
But Quaithe is future Dany. Is she trying to stop future Jon Snow? Where does future Tyrion fit into all of this?

You have to remember that Tyrion is actually future Rhaego, sent back to the past through the wormhole that exists between Daenerys and Joanna Lannister's respective vaginas.

Iksenpets

Banned

Does anyone have that multi-season line graph for this? I forget how 7 million compares to season 4.

I guess a little hut fire in the middle of a blizzard isn't much of a threat to a WW.

I think in one of Melisandre's visions of Hardhome, she actually sees the fires going out as the cold white mist stuff approaches, so they probably do have some anti-fire abilities, even if they are weak to fire if you actually manage to get it on them.

-griffy-

Banned
Does anyone have that multi-season line graph for this? I forget how 7 million compares to season 4.

They say in that article that the equivalent season 4 episode has 7.17 million, so it's a bit lower than that (though last year it was the hyped Viper vs. Mountain fight, and this Hardhome battle was unexpected and kind of came out of nowhere). I don't think any season has had such a dip and quick resurgence like this though.

I think in one of Melisandre's visions of Hardhome, she actually sees the fires going out as the cold white mist stuff approaches, so they probably do have some anti-fire abilities, even if they are weak to fire if you actually manage to get it on them.

Do White Walkers actually get harmed by fire, or just the wights? The Walkers actually seem like they are made of ice in some way, considering the way they shatter (Night King actually looks somewhat translucent even). Not sure fire would even do anything to them except go out when it touches their skin.

Crisco

Banned
Was it just me, or did the shattered pieces of the WW look to have turned brown/red after a short time? Like they turned to flesh or something.

Iksenpets

Banned
They say in that article that the equivalent season 4 episode has 7.17 million, so it's a bit lower than that (though last year it was the hyped Viper vs. Mountain fight, and this Hardhome battle was unexpected and kind of came out of nowhere). I don't think any season has had such a dip and quick resurgence like this though.

Do White Walkers actually get harmed by fire, or just the wights? The Walkers actually seem like they are made of ice in some way, considering the way they shatter (Night King actually looks somewhat translucent even). Not sure fire would even do anything to them except go out when it touches their skin.

Ok. So after the weird leak/Memorial Day/weak material/rape controversy doldrums, we're basically back to tracking with season 4. That's down from the premier, but I'm not sure if those premier numbers were ever sustainable. It may just be really hard to break through the 7-8 million ceiling.

And fire is only confirmed to work on wights, but Sam reads something about the walkers fearing fire, so there's probably something there. I'd imagine it's pretty hard to sneak attack them with fire before they can put it out though.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Honest answer, if you want full spoilers: the character who leads the assassination in the books hasn't been introduced except as a background extra (it's several minor characters who all ultimately stab him together though). Everyone figured they've been building up either the kid or Alisser Thorne to do it instead, but they've been laying it on really thick with the Olly foreshadowing.

The reason is because Jon plans the march the Wildling army on Winterfell to kill Ramsay and rescue his sister from the Boltons. He receives a really awful letter from Ramsay basically gloating about all of his crimes and threatening the Watch that goads him into doing this. Everyone views it as a betrayal of his vows, and knows that if he fails the Boltons will destroy the entire Watch, so they stop him. This is kind of weird for the show, because it's Jon's allies who do it, and the show doesn't really have a character who fits that mold.

If Alisser does it, it'll be really hard to separate it from the fact that Alisser has hated him all along, and if Olly does it, it'll be really hard to separate from the fact that Olly really, really hates Wildlings. Olly doesn't exist in the books, btw. Of course, they may be planning on changing the reasoning for the show.

Oh, also everyone who's read the books is pretty sure that Jon gets resurrected through some sort of magical shenanigans involving Melisandre, Bran, warging into his wolf, or some combination thereof, so don't worry too much.

My complaint is Jon warging into his wolf for the rest of the series is fucking dumb. His character development is essentially over at that point save for showing up and fighting as a wolf. GRRM needs to pick his Luke Skywalker and let him end this thing. Whether that is Dany, Jon or both. The wanton killing of "good guys" for OMG shock value has gotten real old.

Some raw, unplotted numbers here. Again, note that viewership numbers for the first run premiere of the episodes are not the best indicator of overall viewership or health of the show as far as HBO is concerned. Here's the plot as of the end of S4.
A good example to show how day 1 viewing on Memorial Day weekend are probably not the best way to estimate the viewership.
Yup

Iksenpets

Banned
My complaint is Jon warging into his wolf for the rest of the series is fucking dumb. His character development is essentially over at that point save for showing up and fighting as a wolf. GRRM needs to pick his Luke Skywalker and let him end this thing. Whether that is Dany, Jon or both. The wanton killing of "good guys" for OMG shock value has gotten real old.

I don't think anyone thinks he stays in the wolf long term. Maybe he sits out one book, but somehow someone or another finds a way to get him out of there and back into his body. The ice cells seem to be set up as a way to preserve his body precisely to allow for that.

I would take a wolf with a flaming sword in it's teeth as my end protagonist.

Also, why can white walkers stroll through fire?

Isn't that like, their weakness? Imagine if Charizard went swimming.
He doesn't walk through it; the air around him is so cold that it puts the fire out.

Also, no, ordinary fire kills wights but we haven't seen it used successfully on a White Walker/Other.

based on what? I would be very surprised if GRRM or D&D said that

That was from George's proposal of the series (I think he'd only written a few chapters at the time) where he wrote out a summary of the storyline. It's probably not accurate anymore, the majority of what was in his proposal was changed.

Although I'm still hoping for
the Jon-Tyrion-Arya love triangle, ha.

Forkball

More people Balon has outlived: Rattleshirt and most of Hardhome

Also why didn't they build the Wall out of dragon glass? Would've come in handy right about now.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
What if Tyrion is actually his own father?

No he is the son of Richard Rahl and Kahlan Amnell. The series will end with him going all "Thou shall not pass!" on the white walkers and creating an alternate universe that happens to be the same one we live in for all the good people of the Game of Thrones universe to move to.

The end..

Kaladin

If that undead army makes it past the wall, Westeros is fucked. Tyrion might have been right, Dany should stay on the other side of the world.

AkuMifune

Banned
If that undead army makes it past the wall, Westeros is fucked. Tyrion might have been right, Dany should stay on the other side of the world.

I'm trying to imagine the size of the army if the Night King keeps raising corpses as he goes.

I don't think a bag of dragonglass is going to help guys.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, the wildlings have known to burn their dead for a long time now, so the WW's army have mostly been fed by individual deaths in the wilderness or small scale attacks on outlying settlements. This is the first time they've grown their army by thousands in a single attack.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm trying to imagine the size of the army if the Night King keeps raising corpses as he goes.

I don't think a bag of dragonglass is going to help guys.

Might be a typical fantasy situation where if you take out the white walkers themselves, or just even the Night's King, everything goes Sauron, the earth cracks and swallows the army of the dead/they all fall to the ground as corpses.

AkuMifune

Banned
Might be a typical fantasy situation where if you take out the white walkers themselves, or just even the Night's King, everything goes Sauron, the earth cracks and swallows the army of the dead/they all fall to the ground as corpses.

Probably. Does have that 'puppet master' feel.

But after a millenia of waiting around I bet he wishes he attacked a couple years before dragons came back.

Or maybe he was also brought back because of the comet/whatever? Hmmm.

graffix13

Yep. And this is precisely why they are going to kill the one man (Jon) who has bested a WW in combat (well, second I guess...Sam being the other).

It will be a sense of "Westeros is so fucked" heading into S6.

foxtrot3d

Banned

He gave a good answer about the NK and raises the same question I have. If the NK is the same NK from Old Nan's story how is he still alive? Since the WW existed before the NK why was he so important? Have their been several NK's? It said the NK "sacrificed to the Others" which implies that he is in fact NOT an Other? Do the Others control the NK? If the WW's were defeated during the Long Night how did they seem to come back at least partially during the reign of the 13th Lord Commander? Who is the Pale Queen? Are there female Others? Can Others procreate with humans? What if the Song of Ice and Fire is a union between a warm blooded, maybe even Targ, human with a Cold as Ice Other?

That's such a big trope that I don't think GRRM will do it. I know he's said in interviews a long time ago that he doesn't even like the whole "big magic battle to determine the fate of the world" thing either. So I wouldn't expect a final battle between good and evil.

He gave a good answer about the NK and raises the same question I have. If the NK is the same NK from Old Nan's story how is he still alive? Since the WW existed before the NK why was he so important? Have their been several NK's? It said the NK "sacrificed to the Others" which implies that he is in fact NOT an Other? Do the Others control the NK? If the WW's were defeated during the Long Night how did they seem to come back at least partially during the reign of the 13th Lord Commander? Who is the Pale Queen? Are there female Others? Can Others procreate with humans? What if the Song of Ice and Fire is a union between a warm blooded, maybe even Targ, human with a Cold as Ice Other?

I agree with the theory that the night king in the show is the great other in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom