• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome

They can close at least one of the bajillion different plots that opens up during AFFC and ADWD. I mean, there's a lot of huge potential thins to choose for a "grand finale" that doesn't involves massive CGI battles:

- Cleaganebowl or at least, the laid out of the trial by combat
- Stannis and Ramsay's fates
- Jon's resucitation
- Danerys moving towards Westeros
- Sansa's ladyballs dropping
- Brienne's endgame

But no, better end every single plot into a retarded cliffhanger in order to prevent this season to have any kind of climax or resolution. Masterful storytelling, that.

They could do most of that, but won't do any of it. Hell, they can't even be arsed to give closure to characters like Gendry and the BWB.

Gnome

Episode 9 synopsis
Stannis confronts a troubling decision. Jon returns to The Wall. Mace visits the Iron Bank. Arya encounters someone from her past. Dany reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Episode 10 synopsis
Stannis marches. Dany is surrounded by strangers. Cersei (Lena Headey) seeks forgiveness. Jon is challenged.

Moff

dany's AGOT arc was pretty good, after that GRRM failed completely to let her live up to the massive potential that character had.

Gnome

I'll be upset if she somehow ends up as Queen at the end, I just don't see how it would make sense, there's way to much to reconcile with that character from feasibility to character motivation, it's just not there.

I'll be upset if she somehow ends up as Queen at the end, I just don't see how it would make sense, there's way to much to reconcile with that character from feasibility to character motivation, it's just not there.

Yeah, I'd be disappointed. Can't see it either. Grrm said someone 'unexpected' would end up on the throne, which more or less rules her out.

Moff

dany becoming the villain that dies at the end before the heroes tackle the real villain (bloodraven) is the only worthwhile outcome I see right now.

Most unexpected thing at this point would be for Tommen to remain King. Which is the prediction in the Ragnarok theory.

Hmm, he did say a few different people would end up on the throne after Joffrey and before the end. Can't see Tommen lasting long. And then there's all that foreshadowing about Cersei's children all taking the throne (?) and dying before her.

Gnome

Seeing Daenerys Stormborn die at Storms End is what I want.

Edit: I must have forgotten that bit of the prophecy, so much for Tommen it seems.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!

Somewhat unlikely theory ahead

There seems to be a running theory that she
will turn villainous. This is based on a theory that the white walkers have upheld their side of an ancient deal of status quo that the humans have now started to break with the return of dragons and magic. Jon will want to broker peace again while dany will want to destroy them. I feel like the conversation with tyrion last episode when she spoke about "breaking the wheel" lends some credence to her becoming over zealous.

Ikael

Daenerys plot went into a nosedive since the moment that she sat in Meeren. Would it depend on me, she would have kept moving foward instead on Dothraki nomadic fashion.

Just like the books then?

I expect some sort of extra info than books on Winterfell battle.

Yes, it would be exactly like the books, and that is a huge problem, purist idiocy nonwithstanding. Martin's decision to delay every single climax and closure of the previous plots is a mistake of "splitting viewpoints between westeros and essos" proportions.

Gnome

will turn villainous. This is based on a theory that the white walkers have upheld their side of an ancient deal of status quo that the humans have now started to break with the return of dragons and magic. Jon will want to broker peace again while dany will want to destroy them. I feel like the conversation with tyrion last episode when she spoke about "breaking the wheel" lends some credence to her becoming over zealous.

I'm more for the theory that Bloodraven is both the Red and and the Great Other, and that he is orchestrating to pull the Dragons to his side making it Dragons and White Walker vs the Realm of Men. Ice and Fire working together, not against each other. What this means for Dany's fate is either that she'll die or join Bloodraven.

There seems to be a running theory that she will turn villainous. This is based on a theory that the white walkers have upheld their side of an ancient deal of status quo that the humans have now started to break with the return of dragons and magic. Jon will want to broker peace again while dany will want to destroy them. I feel like the conversation with tyrion last episode when she spoke about "breaking the wheel" lends some credence to her becoming over zealous.

This doesn't work. The white walkers reappear in the opening scene before the Dragons return. The Dragons only died a few hundred years ago, thousands of years since no one had seen an Other.

And there's nothing here that should be spoiler tagged.

ChaosXVI

It's up there. The Band of Brothers assault on the gun positions and the end of Spartacus season 1 were pretty awesome too. On an epic scale Hardholme can't be beat.

I can't believe how amazing that action sequence was, I doubt it'll be topped by any other scene in the series. It made it even more shocking because of how crappy most of the action scenes have been this season compared to previous ones.

Moff

I actually think castle black was more epic with all the giants, mammoths, the climbers and the scythe
it also head that insane 360 shot and an important death

I love skeletons though so it's a close one

The opening of the entire saga begins with White Walkers killing a bunch of people though, before the return of dragons or magic.

hiryu

I can't believe how amazing that action sequence was, I doubt it'll be topped by any other scene in the series. It made it even more shocking because of how crappy most of the action scenes have been this season compared to previous ones.

Yeah it was a huge step up for the show. Most of their action scenes have been pretty bad but everything about Hardholme was awesome. The pacing, camera work, and sense of danger and hopelessness were awesome.

The opening of the entire saga begins with White Walkers killing a bunch of people though, before the return of dragons or magic.
I think it may have to do with the demise of Dragons and Targaryens in Westeros. The last of their lineage died and left Westeros at the start of the long summer - now winter is returning and so do the white walkers?

Can't be a coincidence

I think it may have to do with the demise of Dragons and Targaryens in Westeros. The lady of their lineage died and left Westeros at the start of the long summer - now winter is returning and so do the white walkers?

Can't be a coincidence

The last dragon died ~150 years before the White Walkers showed any sign of return, I don't see the connection. Unless you think the Others care which descendant of Aegon V sits on the Iron Throne.

Hamlet

It's up there. The Band of Brothers assault on the gun positions and the end of Spartacus season 1 were pretty awesome too. On an epic scale Hardholme can't be beat.

The recent Blacks Sails season 2 finale is definitely up there also for me.

trh

This doesn't work. The white walkers reappear in the opening scene before the Dragons return. The Dragons only died a few hundred years ago, thousands of years since no one had seen an Other.

And there's nothing here that should be spoiler tagged.

Yeah I didn't do a fantastic job retelling the theory, which can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

"We have some clues to what that cause might be. Daenerys, Jon, and Robb, all magical children with the traits of their ancestors, were born roughly at the same time. Daenerys was the first succesful Targ to hatch dragons since they died out, and Jon and Robb are the first Stark wargs since... whenever they stopped being wargs."

I mean it's the top voted post on /r/asoiaf of all time so it at least has some good points.

El Topo

The theory doesn't really make sense, or rather it seems very...patched together. That doesn't mean that it's all wrong, but the explanation/justification is not really convincing.

dany's AGOT arc was pretty good, after that GRRM failed completely to let her live up to the massive potential that character had.
Wasn't there perhaps more potential for her to become a typical Mary Sue fantasy character and waltz to success? I liked how her progress was halted in ACOK, and she really only reached success in ASOS (which most people would agree was the height of her story, entertainment wise).

Dany seems like a character who could break the story if handled poorly. She has dragons but they aren't big enough to dominate. Still they're powerful enough in the third book to wreck large groups of people. I like the idea of letting her "level up" for awhile, and learn how to rule instead of just rolling to victory. My problem is moreso how Meereen was handled. It could have been very interesting with lots of intrigue and shadow politicking. Some of that happens (I'm sure many have read the essays on the poisoned locusts) but overall it feels like a narrative quagmire.

Notice how interesting it gets once she leaves. Barristan's chapters are far more interesting. Not just the action, but the intrigue.

Forkball

So I guess the climax in Arya's story this year is going to decide whether to kill the thin man or to kill Meryn Trant who she will see come into Braavos via the docks. I definitely think Trant is going bye bye this year, so it will be interesting to see what consequences there are for Arya if she goes against her mission with the faceless men. Maybe she kills both, but even so that would still cause some problems for her I would assume.

trh

The theory doesn't really make sense, or rather it seems very...patched together. That doesn't mean that it's all wrong, but the explanation/justification is not really convincing.

The theory is over a year old, so it was written prior to the later half of season 4, meaning a lot of the things we've seen in the show about the white walkers that hasn't been in the books yet was not taken into account. I think the biggest obstacle to it being true is how menacingly evil the white walkers seemed in the last episode, necromancy is not exactly something that I would imagine the humans could overlook. Ignoring that I feel like the theory might work. It's definitely a bit out there though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great joke.

Anyways, have you guys seen this?https://youtu.be/TfvVluNxujc?t=22m8s

Its from March, but at around 22min, Kit says that he'd like to be a warg and "put myself into a wolf." Everyone laughs, but D&D respond with: "two words for you: season six."
Not that it comes as a surprise, but wow D&D live Kit lol. To think that people think John could die anytime soon or isn't the main hero of the TV show heh.

Thanks for the video.... Great watch love seeing them together on these events.

Moff

yeah I doubt they will do anything important with trystane in the last 2 episodes, however that doesnt mean he can't get important in season 6

So has Doran, doesn't mean he isn't important.

You have to lay the ground work for a twist like that. Were they going to have some sort of twist for Trystane this season, they'd have given him some screen time and development. The show hasn't presented him as being anything more important than "that Martell guy Myrcella likes."

yeah I doubt they will do anything important with trystane in the last 2 episodes, however that doesnt mean he can't get important in season 6
Maybe. I'm skeptical that he'll amount to much.

Yeah, I'd be disappointed. Can't see it either. Grrm said someone 'unexpected' would end up on the throne, which more or less rules her out.

Do we know it's a "someone" at all that ends up there? Could it be that Westeros is turned into some sort of republic? Or the story ends with the land reverting to more tribalistic regional kingdoms?

foxtrot3d

Banned
You have to lay the ground work for a twist like that. Were they going to have some sort of twist for Trystane this season, they'd have given him some screen time and development. The show hasn't presented him as being anything more important than "that Martell guy Myrcella likes."

Maybe. I'm skeptical that he'll amount to much.

That's true but my question would be what is the point of Dorne this season then? In the preview
we hear Doran demanding the Sand Snakes pledge their obedience to him just like in the books, why do this unless he plans to reveal something to them.
While Trystaegon may not be true I think he'll replace the role of Aegon, i.e. raising Dorne, crowning Myrcella.

Ratrat

Do we know it's a "someone" at all that ends up there? Could it be that Westeros is turned into some sort of republic? Or the story ends with the land reverting to more tribalistic regional kingdoms?
I think any one other than Dany and Jon would be considered 'unexpected.'
That's true but my question would be what is the point of Dorne this season then? In the preview
we hear Doran demanding the Sand Snakes pledge their obedience to him just like in the books, why do this unless he plans to reveal something to them.
While Trystaegon may not be true I think he'll replace the role of Aegon, i.e. raising Dorne, crowning Myrcella.
What about the pact? Why bother with Myrcella if he can marry Dany?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think any one other than Dany and Jon would be considered 'unexpected.'

What about the pact? Why bother with Myrcella if he can marry Dany?

That would mean that Dany has to come to Westeros by next season and quick. I can't imagine Trystane being sent off Quentyn style or Doran just sitting around a whole season waiting on Dany to show up. Plus, that would seem to go counter to the books since Dorne seems likely to go against Dany.

Ratrat

That would mean that Dany has to come to Westeros by next season and quick. I can't imagine Trystane being sent off Quentyn style or Doran just sitting around a whole season waiting on Dany to show up. Plus, that would seem to go counter to the books since Dorne seems likely to go against Dany.
So in spite of Dany already existing, Doran waited for Mycella to be born and a very unlikely arranged marriage made by Tyrion? If hes playing the long game, he could wait for Dany or send for her. I don't know, I don't buy the Trystaegon thing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom