• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
What they revealed in that episode weren't the true meereenese fighting pits which are like a gladiatorial arena, it was just a scrub pit somewhere that they contrived to put Dany there.

The fighting pits you saw in ep. 7 were the lower rank pits.

Ah okay, yea I agree with everyone else. Hardhome was freaking amazing, I would definitely put it at the top action scene of the series for me tied with the battle of blackwater.

Kozak

Banned
leak discussion:

if that synopsis is in anyway true, the season is going to end on the cliffhanger of killing Jon, burning Shireen. That fucking sucks

shira

Preview

Yeah I'm a big sucker for long/single camera take shots as well.

I think it's so impressive, and is just sticking in my head all day due to the accumulation of technical excellence of the sequence as well it's meaning in the narrative, which just slams the viewer in the face (and the characters) with a sense of dread and despair that few stories are able to pull off.

Woah dat CG crowd.

http://watchersonthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/all.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Stannis can't confront a troubling decision if Ramsay's invincible victory charge is the last scene with him. That is a surefire giveaway of nonsense...that and Olly just staring at Jon for a whole episode.

Speevy

Banned
No he definitely said vinegar.

84eTPuF.gif

Vanilla

I haven't seen this show since season three. Have they been mentioning Lyanna and Rhaegar more often? It feels like the obvious "Jon snow is Lyanna's son" plot point will make no sense within the show.

-griffy-

Banned
I haven't seen this show since season three. Have they been mentioning Lyanna and Rhaegar more often? It feels like the obvious "Jon snow is Lyanna's son" plot point will make no sense within the show.
Yes actually. There was one episode specifically that had two full scenes of Lyanna/Rhaegar backstory, and Stannis mentions Ned sleeping with a random whore being uncharacteristic and Littlefinger giving a bemused look when Sansa says Rhaegar raped Lyanna. Non-book readers have been putting it together.

Iksenpets

Banned
Double Daario nails the skeeziness of the character even better than Original Daario did. Like, I'm pretty sure I saw that dude selling cheap weed at a middle school the other day. I think another recast may be in order to promote this guy.

Turin

Banned
There was obsidian in Winterfell. Maester Luwin pulled it out in the first book.

That makes me wonder, how do they write around the fact that dragons vs. white walkers would be a completely one-sided battle? If Drogon had been at Hardhome the series would be over already. Do they have secret anti-dragon weapons?

Others have said ice dragon's but we also don't know the extent of the Night's King's power. He might just force choke the lizards and revive them as undead dragons.

Other's have said ice dragon's but we also don't know the extent of the Night's King's power. He might just force choke the lizards and revive them as undead dragons.
Plus, dragons aren't immortal. They can be killed and we don't even know the full extent power of the Night's King. They can some how kill the dragon and possibly raise it from the dead as ice dragon just like how Arthas did in Warcraft.

Perhaps now that there are Dragons again if Dany can tame them she can work to figure out how to forge more Valyrian Steel. I'm sure the knowledge is stashed away somewhere. Maybe Bran will learn where.

Not sure if this was discussed, but what makes the upcoming winter so noteworthy? I mean, there has been past long winters in past centuries but the white walkers didn't invade the south, did they?

Not sure if this was discussed, but what makes the upcoming winter so noteworthy? I mean, there has been past long winters in past centuries but the white walkers didn't invade the south, did they?
The summer they experienced was the longest in history I think, and the winter will be equally long if not longer.

Hamlet

The summer they experienced was the longest in history I think, and the winter will be equally long if not longer.

Yep and thanks to all the ongoing wars Westeros is sorely unprepared to deal with such a long winter. Going to be a lot of people running out of food.

Forkball

Why the white walkers waited for this specific winter is a mystery, as is their very nature. One can assume the birth of dragons, the red comet, and the general uptick of magic are all connected, but it is unknown why and how. I really wish the night's king said something to Jon at the end, but actions speak louder than words.

carlsojo

Why the white walkers waited for this specific winter is a mystery, as is their very nature. One can assume the birth of dragons, the red comet, and the general uptick of magic are all connected, but it is unknown why and how. I really wish the night's king said something to Jon at the end, but actions speak louder than words.

The birth of the dragons is credited, if I remember correctly, for the sudden magic power upswing, i.e. Dondarrion being able to be resurrected multiple times via Thoros, Wildfire being easier to produce, etc. Obviously, the birth happened after the walkers had already returned, so they are likely not responsible.

It could be because the current summer had been so long, and I guess with Westeros weather patterns long summer = long winter, so this is the ideal time for them to come back. I think the last time they showed up was during a winter that lasted a generation. So maybe it's like an event that occurs every several thousand years, each time a generation-long winter occurs?

Finally, (and this is entirely wild speculation) there's the possibility that they have agents in the south reporting to them so that they know the time is right. The fact that the white walkers re-emerge just as the entire realm is thrown into chaos is a pretty big coincidence. The obvious architect of such a plan would of course be Littlefinger, though the Faceless would make perfect agents as well.

Gigglepoo

So, has the show completely removed the Zombie Catelyn storyline? That would be really disappointing. I thought it was going to be a significant arc in the books, so either it's not or the show runners just don't care.

Ikael

If the rumours about the next episode are true, it will be one of the weakest episode 9 yet, Daznak's pit or not. I cannot believe that they will be retarded enough to keep every single goddamn cliffhanger of the books.

People here tends to grieve whenever a new change is introduced, but being faithful to the books in this aspect is nothing short of disastrous.

Gnome

If the rumours about the next episode are true, it will be one of the weakest episode 9 yet, Daznak's pit or not. I cannot believe that they will be retarded enough to keep every single goddamn cliffhanger of the books.

People here tends to grieve whenever a new change is introduced, but being faithful to the books in this aspect is nothing short of disastrous.

It's not like they can do the battle of Winterfell, they clearly blew most of the budget they could do that with on Hardhome.

Ikael

It's not like they can do the battle of Winterfell, they clearly blew most of the budget they could do that with on Hardhome.

They can close at least one of the bajillion different plots that opens up during AFFC and ADWD. I mean, there's a lot of huge potential thins to choose for a "grand finale" that doesn't involves massive CGI battles:

- Cleaganebowl or at least, the laid out of the trial by combat
- Stannis and Ramsay's fates
- Jon's resucitation
- Danerys moving towards Westeros
- Sansa's ladyballs dropping
- Brienne's endgame

But no, better end every single plot into a retarded cliffhanger in order to prevent this season to have any kind of climax or resolution. Masterful storytelling, that.

They can close at least one of the bajillion different plots that opens up during AFFC and ADWD. I mean, there's a lot of huge potential thins to choose for a "grand finale" that doesn't involves massive CGI battles:

- Cleaganebowl or at least, the laid out of the trial by combat
- Stannis and Ramsay's fates
- Jon's resucitation
- Danerys moving towards Westeros
- Sansa's ladyballs dropping
- Brienne's endgame

But no, better end every single plot into a retarded cliffhanger in order to prevent this season to have any kind of climax or resolution. Masterful storytelling, that.

Just like the books then?

I expect some sort of extra info than books on Winterfell battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom