• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I didn't do a fantastic job retelling the theory, which can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

"We have some clues to what that cause might be. Daenerys, Jon, and Robb, all magical children with the traits of their ancestors, were born roughly at the same time. Daenerys was the first succesful Targ to hatch dragons since they died out, and Jon and Robb are the first Stark wargs since... whenever they stopped being wargs."

I mean it's the top voted post on /r/asoiaf of all time so it at least has some good points.

My only contention with that theory is if the Night's King was the person who ended the war, why would human race get rid of him and then wipe him out of the record books? Why destroy the only record of how the war was won?

So I guess the climax in Arya's story this year is going to decide whether to kill the thin man or to kill Meryn Trant who she will see come into Braavos via the docks. I definitely think Trant is going bye bye this year, so it will be interesting to see what consequences there are for Arya if she goes against her mission with the faceless men. Maybe she kills both, but even so that would still cause some problems for her I would assume.

I'm not sure how they resolve thin man vs. Trant, but her being blinded would be a perfect way to end the season.

Kain

My only contention with that theory is if the Night's King was the person who ended the war, why would human race get rid of him and then wipe him out of the record books? Why destroy the only record of how the war was won?

Because humans are stupid, or more accurately, arrogant. They thought they didn't need the NKs lineage to keep the Others at bay. Add to that the Church, as they would likely treat such pacts as heressy and such (i.e. censorship), and the fact that the Andals came and fucked everything up... voila.

mantidor

I like Dany, she is a teenager who went from being traded like cattle to have three dragons and an army, she lacks experience and wisdom but that is in line with the character, that is the point of her arch.

In a way Sansa is the same. I don't get the hate for these two, they are little girls in a world completely unfriendly to little girls and they have survived because they have endured so much shit as oppose to so many other characters who have survived because they were very lucky, including fan favorites like Arya or Tyrion.

Drogon is gonna try to fry Jorah but his greyscale is gonna protect him the same way Shireen will walk out of Melisandre's fire unscathed and freak her out.
There has to be some connection to greyscale and fire. They've hammered at it with Shireen as much as they have setting Olly up as an assassin, and with Jorah fighting in Draznak's Pit it has to play some part.

I'm not sure how they resolve thin man vs. Trant, but her being blinded would be a perfect way to end the season.
I'm pre-annoyed that Arya's mission in the book was clever--making the man bite a poisoned coin--but I suspect she's just going to substitute poison for vanilla, er, vinegar on the oysters. I'll be disappointed if she only kills Trant, though. It would be more neutering of her arc, afraid to make her kill for anything but revenge or mercy.

I would love to see her go blind, though. That's going to make show-watchers crap their pants!

Skilletor

I like Dany, she is a teenager who went from being traded like cattle to have three dragons and an army, she lacks experience and wisdom but that is in line with the character, that is the point of her arch.

In a way Sansa is the same. I don't get the hate for these two, they are little girls in a world completely unfriendly to little girls and they have survived because they have endured so much shit as oppose to so many other characters who have survived because they were very lucky, including fan favorites like Arya or Tyrion.

I hate Sansa because she betrayed her family. She is/was a spoiled little girl who wanted her fairy tale, and so she went to Cersei about Ned's plans.

Reading the last chapter of TWoW was very hard. She's still an immature little girl and after reading for so long, it's tiring, annoying, and difficult to stomach.

I don't like Dany because she's been on the wrong side of the sea for too long.

kirblar

Given what Martin's said and the "one and done" thing w/ Dorne, I would think we're seeing Casterly Rock in Season 7 on the show. It's the only one of the 9 regions we've not yet seen.

Thaedolus

I hate Sansa because she betrayed her family. She is/was a spoiled little girl who wanted her fairy tale, and so she went to Cersei about Ned's plans.

Reading the last chapter of TWoW was very hard. She's still an immature little girl and after reading for so long, it's tiring, annoying, and difficult to stomach.

Ned got himself killed, end of story. You can't blame a child for her dad's fuckups.

Ratrat

Ifyouthinkthishasahappyendingyouhaventbeenpayingattention.gif

I was hoping for it too...;_;
lameramsaylinetryingtobeclever.gif
But I do think Martin said the ending would be 'bitter sweet'. That probably just means no happy end for Dany, which is fine by me.

Given what Martin's said and the "one and done" thing w/ Dorne, I would think we're seeing Casterly Rock in Season 7 on the show. It's the only one of the 9 regions we've not yet seen.
The show hasn't shown Highgarden either (and, IIRC, the books also haven't gone there yet).

-griffy-

Banned
This rumor was discussed at length about a week ago, but Variety confirms that they're shooting some of S6 in Girona and Peñiscola. Doesn't sound like they're returning to Sevilla and Osuna. They also mention "HBO begins filming Game of Thrones sixth season in Belfast in late July"

Peniscola kind of looks like King's Landing:

foto-pe%C3%B1iscola.jpg

And some pics of Girona, which seems like it was built to be a set for Game of Thrones:

mantidor

I've heard about this before, how did she betray her family? There was nothing she could have done that wouldn't have get her killed.

Kain

Girona IS Oldtown, believe me. I don't know if George has been there but holy shit, the similarities are striking.

PS: Yeah, Dany getting axed or something would be the best ending possible for me. Screw her and her dragons.

Iksenpets

Banned
This rumor was discussed at length about a week ago, but Variety confirms that they're shooting some of S6 in Girona and Peñiscola. Doesn't sound like they're returning to Sevilla and Osuna. They also mention "HBO begins filming Game of Thrones sixth season in Belfast in late July"

No Seville or Osuna makes sense. Most of the Dornish cast will be heading to King's Landing or elsewhere, other than Prince Doran, and he probably won't have enough scenes to justify the cost. If he's needed for anything I imagine they'll have to just build a set or green screen it or something. And Osuna was really only in for the Pit, so no need to go there again.

Girona really does seem like it has to be Oldtown. Not sure what Peñiscola is for, since I can't think of any new castles that would need to be introduced. Maybe some of the interiors work well for the Citadel or something? Or we're just going somewhere we don't know about yet.

Also, can't stop reading it as Penis Cola.

Ikael

Ah, you beat me to it! ;)

Girona is Oldtown, no doubt about it. Hell, it even has a building ripe for getting transformed into the Hightower with a couple of CGI touches (the Cathedral's tower).

As for Peñíscola, it has been the scenary of many medieval films. Its main touristic attraction is the Castle of Pope Luna, a stout templar fortress built atop of a rock watching the sea. I have been there, and I do think that Peñíscola is either going to be Lannisport or Storm's End, but I incline myself more towards Lannisport, for it is ripe for climatic duels with the blue sea as its background since it has several open plazas and watch towers that could double as fighting arenas, not to mention very good views of steep, stony shores.

Funnily enough, I remember that the first thing that I thought when they first announced that they were making a game of thrones tv show was "well, they can film the entire seven kingdoms in Spain with no need for moving into another countries". I guess that the producers thought the same thing :p

Chaos17

That makes me wonder, how do they write around the fact that dragons vs. white walkers would be a completely one-sided battle? If Drogon had been at Hardhome the series would be over already. Do they have secret anti-dragon weapons?

Good question, in Warcraft, the undead army revived any old bones of dragons they could (thats why it's better to burn the dead). I wonder if the white walkers will do the same (if they found some).

Granted, one solution would be to have Drogon or the other dragons die before they fight the white walkers. It would be hilariously anticlimactic but also quite fitting with the series to have them perish in Dany's invasion of Westeros before the real threat arrives.
It would also save them money on special effects.

What do you guys think could be Loras's faith? He is the (only?) heir to the Reach in the show, and having him killed could change the whole Tyrell dynamic, without being of particular interest to the audience. Could it be that Olenna manages to arrange a sort of plea deal with the sept, and Loras walks free but has to "take the white" and live a life of celibacy, bringing his story closer to the books?

Not that being a Kingsguard ever stopped anyone from screwing around.

Kain

What do you guys think could be Loras's faith? He is the (only?) heir to the Reach in the show, and having him killed could change the whole Tyrell dynamic, without being of particular interest to the audience. Could it be that Olenna manages to arrange a sort of plea deal with the sept, and Loras walks free but has to "take the white" and live a life of celibacy, bringing his story closer to the books?

For his story to be close to the books he needs to take the armor and start killing motherfuckers.

I don't think they will end up killing him, but maybe they send him to the Wall or something.

Speevy

Banned
For his story to be close to the books he needs to take the armor and start killing motherfuckers.

I don't think they will end up killing him, but maybe they send him to the Wall or something.

They'll have to cast a gay wall character for Lora's to sex.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166305597]Where was Daario during the meeting with Tyrion? Kingsmoot?

It seems like they'd get along.[/QUOTE]

Well, when Jorah left, I thought I saw Daario sitting up on one of the walls watching him leave.

Patriots7

She was raised as the eldest daughter of the Warden of the North to expect to live a fairy tale. How is that her fault? She was literally groomed to be the Lady of a great house or Queen.

She didn't betray her family, she was a twelve year old who was completely unaware of the stakes of her actions. Her father too, was unaware of just how stupid his actions were as well.

Can't understand that argument. Ned is completely responsible for the destruction of his family.

Not that being a Kingsguard ever stopped anyone from screwing around.
But if he takes the white, the Tyrells are still without an heir.

Brakke

Banned

This guy gets it. Sansa's only redeeming quality is the family name she doesn't deserve.

It's not about "hating her", it's about being frustrated with GRR wasting our time making us look at her.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe the show is trying to show a contrast between Arya and Sansa. Arya learned that only misery and death awaited her in Westeros, so she left. So is it really sensible for Sansa to experience political success?

Brakke

Banned
I wonder what was even the point of Sansa learning Theon didn't kill Bran / Rickon. The show plays that as some Big Reveal but really what does it change for her? Presumably she likes them but we never saw them spend time together so we don't actually know that.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder what was even the point of Sansa learning Theon didn't kill Bran / Rickon. The show plays that as some Big Reveal but really what does it change for her? Presumably she likes them but we never saw them spend time together so we don't actually know that.

She will tell someone next season, which will lead to a hunt for Rickon.

It doesn't change her situation but knowing your brothers aren't dead would be pretty big reason to get your shit together.

Emotionally it would certainly be big for her. Imagine going from "all my family is dead" to "I still have two brothers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom