• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D are not subtle. They'll need a character to expressly tell Jon, "You're a warg, someone who can project themselves into an animal." And they'll definitely show scenes of the wildling warg from the earlier season, with an emphasis on his eyes rolling white.

*previously on game of thrones*
"hey guys remember the dude from pirates of the caribbeans in season 2 was a warg !

*45 minutes into the episode*
"you're a warg jon"
shocking !

foxtrot3d

Banned
"hey guys remember the dude from pirates of the caribbeans in season 2 was a warg !

"you're a warg jon"
shocking !

I expect a lot of this to start happening in the future, the show decidedly wrongly to cut so much and suppress almost all magic. Now, it's biting them in the butt as they approach end game and realize they haven't built up any of these big reveals/moments.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, now that they are venturing clearly beyond the book, may as well go all out fan service. Jon warging, Dany and Tyrion riding a dragon, Sansa killing Ramsay, and Stannis bursting through the gates of Winterfell with a flaming sword to cut off Roose's head.

Yonafunu

Cleganebowl pretty much only makes sense as dumb fanservice. The entire point of that Quiet Isle chapter is that Sandor has left behind all of that hatred and violence of his previous life. There is no reason at all for him to go back and fight his brother. The only way it might make sense is if he goes to 'save' his brother, if it's in a religious sense. But still, I'd rather it never happens.

edit: well damn, I'm way too late with this. Ignore!

"you're a warg jon"
shocking !

If only the show had a major character that obviously warged all the time.... oh wait, Bran. The show maybe hasn't done a great job explaining the mythology of some elements, but I don't believe wargs are one of those, they won't need to explain what warging is when Jon finally does it.

Tuffty

If Cleganebowl does happen, as a lot of people seem to want, then no doubt D&D will still be accused of writing fanfic.

Moff

If only the show had a major character that obviously warged all the time.... oh wait, Bran. The show maybe hasn't done a great job explaining the mythology of some elements, but I don't believe wargs are one of those, they won't need to explain what warging is when Jon finally does it.

I actually agree. I don't think I remembered the "built up" to jon being a warg in ADWD and it immediately made complete sense to me that he might warg into ghost. like in the moment I read it. I am sure thew viewers will, too. although I am pretty sure by now that varamir will tell him about it, I just read up that he did that in the books, too. I didn't even remember that honestly, but I didn't get that robb was warging, either. the only one I got war arya in her dreams. besides bran of course.

Real Hero

Cleganebowl pretty much only makes sense as dumb fanservice. The entire point of that Quiet Isle chapter is that Sandor has left behind all of that hatred and violence of his previous life. There is no reason at all for him to go back and fight his brother. The only way it might make sense is if he goes to 'save' his brother, if it's in a religious sense. But still, I'd rather it never happens.

You are right though. I really hope that doesn't happen.

In the show universe, would killing Kevan disrupt the Lannister military?
I guess. In the books Jaime's disappearance is what really disrupts the military. He leaves them stranded in the middle of the Riverlands with no orders. I guess the Strongboar could take over but he's rather hot headed.

Blatz

Anybody else sick of people referring to the white walkers and/or the wights as zombies?

I watched the What the Flick review of Hardhome and they kept going on about how it was too world war Z or Walking Dead.

They expect us to respect their opinion when they are too dense to see the difference.

Even WotW are using the "Z" word. for shame

Kyougar

Anybody else sick of people referring to the white walkers and/or the wights as zombies?

I watched the What the Flick review of Hardhome and they kept going on about how it was too world war Z or Walking Dead.

They expect us to respect their opinion when they are too dense to see the difference.

Even WotW are using the "Z" word. for shame

I like "what the flick", but they must have a better reader to watcher ratio. if its 3 watchers and only John with book knowledge (who didnt even correct some of the mistakes the other 3 thought, even mistakes that were clearly seen in the show (like only 4 remaining bosses))

And the host Ben gets too much show facts and names wrong. If you review a show, than get the names of the main protagonist right! It's like when you Review Braking bad Episodes and he talks about Willy Black and James Bluewoman.

Blatz

I like "what the flick", but they must have a better reader to watcher ratio. if its 3 watchers and only John with book knowledge (who didnt even correct some of the mistakes the other 3 thought, even mistakes that were clearly seen in the show (like only 4 remaining bosses))

And the host Ben gets too much show facts and names wrong. If you review a show, than get the names of the main protagonist right! It's like when you Review Braking bad Episodes and he talks about Willy Black and James Bluewoman.

I was thinking the same thing. Why isn't the book reader guy setting them straight? He tried to contrast walking dead and GoT for a minute, but did a poor job IMO.

I thing the thing that gets me about the review is that Cenk and the lady think "zombies" are way too much for the show.

Like what show have you been watching, this is what you signed up for with the pilot.

I'm curious to see how Jon and his rag tag army even get into the Wall, seeing from the preview
how they manage to land on the wrong side.

Maybe that's how the warging comes back into the picture.

We already know D&D don't shy away from dumb fanservice (Jaqen, Brienne vs The Hound etc...) and we didn't get the Quiet Isle in the show but it's looking like we are getting Septon Meribald. My guess is he'll show up at King's Landing with a large hooded travelling companion. They'll probably show that the Hound was at peace when he thought that Gregor was dead, but instantly knows who is in that armour. The fight will end with Sandor screaming and cursing when he cuts off Robert's head revealing an empty helm. Robbed twice of the opportunity to kill his brother and robbed himself of his own peace too. That's my guess.

I actually agree. I don't think I remembered the "built up" to jon being a warg in ADWD and it immediately made complete sense to me that he might warg into ghost. like in the moment I read it. I am sure thew viewers will, too. although I am pretty sure by now that varamir will tell him about it, I just read up that he did that in the books, too. I didn't even remember that honestly, but I didn't get that robb was warging, either. the only one I got war arya in her dreams. besides bran of course.
IIRC, he just tells Jon he's a warg and Jon of course was like what are you talking about.

I've been surprised that they haven't set it up more for Jon specifically, but it's not like the show hasn't had warging in the past.

---------

IMO, Cleganebowl is definitely going to happen in the books and the show, although I'm not a fan of it.

So going by most of the uses of 'fan service' Geoffrey dying was fan service, as was Frey Pies and Dany freeing slaves.

Anything that people want to see or are looking forward to, no matter how long ago it was set up or how crucial to the plot, is fan service. Got it.

spootime

We already know D&D don't shy away from dumb fanservice (Jaqen, Brienne vs The Hound etc...) and we didn't get the Quiet Isle in the show but it's looking like we are getting Septon Meribald. My guess is he'll show up at King's Landing with a large hooded travelling companion. They'll probably show that the Hound was at peace when he thought that Gregor was dead, but instantly knows who is in that armour. The fight will end with Sandor screaming and cursing when he cuts off Robert's head revealing an empty helm. Robbed twice of the opportunity to kill his brother and robbed himself of his own peace too. That's my guess.

Why do you think we're getting meribald? Has there been some casting news that I missed? I dont keep up with this stuff very well

Do you guys think we'll get cleganebowl early next season?

fuzzyset

I'm curious to see how Jon and his rag tag army even get into the Wall, seeing from the preview
how they manage to land on the wrong side.

Maybe that's how the warging comes back into the picture.

I'm guessing it's just a little faux drama from the preview. A lot of things in the previews are cut to appear different than they actually play out.

Kyougar

I thing the thing that gets me about the review is that Cenk and the lady think "zombies" are way too much for the show.

Like what show have you been watching, this is what you signed up for with the pilot.

It has the same problem Battlestar Galactica had. BSG was advertised as a "Human Drama" and the nerds should tell their friends "it's not SciFi, it's a human Drama!" And then the people who normally wouldnt even watch the show get alienated (heh) by too much nerdy Stuf. So we need more Human DRAMA and less SciFi!

I am sure that many on the HBO board of Directors would like GoT to tone down on the Fantasy Elements to not alienate more viewers (Dragons are cool though!). Even D&D could be like this.
We already saw that they try to tone Fantasy down. Only to bite them in the ass when its requiered by the story.

Why do you think we're getting meribald? Has there been some casting news that I missed? I dont keep up with this stuff very well

Do you guys think we'll get cleganebowl early next season?

http://www.blastr.com/2015-5-27/did-game-thrones-casting-call-confirm-iconic-book-character-season-6

Priest, in his 40's or 50's. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He's salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.

Along with Euron, what sounds like Ned and Robert as boys (Bran vision flashback?) and other unexpected characters.

Massa

It has the same problem Battlestar Galactica had. BSG was advertised as a "Human Drama" and the nerds should tell their friends "it's not SciFi, it's a human Drama!" And then the people who normally wouldnt even watch the show get alienated (heh) by too much nerdy Stuf. So we need more Human DRAMA and less SciFi!

I am sure that many on the HBO board of Directors would like GoT to tone down on the Fantasy Elements to not alienate more viewers (Dragons are cool though!). Even D&D could be like this.
We already saw that they try to tone Fantasy down. Only to bite them in the ass when its requiered by the story.

The population of Westeros rejects the fantasy elements for the most part. If the show wanted to cut that stuff out they wouldn't have done the Night's King reveal last season (which was probably the biggest book spoiler so far) and they could have done a big battle in Meereen or Winterfell instead of Hardhome this season.

Kain

The population of Westeros rejects the fantasy elements for the most part.

One of my most anticipated things in the books is reading Cersei's reaction to supernatural stuff, either Tyrion riding a dragon all badass or a WW/wight (a zombie Tommen maybe?) coming at her. And I want that in her POV. Please George deliver.

spootime

Haha, thanks. That definitely sounds like meribald.

Having meribald take Sandor to kings landing is really fucking smart. I think thats the first time I've heard of a change that I'm reeally on board with.
Coming to KL is complete speculation on my part, but there doesn't seem any reason to have him out in the middle of nowhere now that they changed Brienne's story.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I don't know about earlier than ADwD, but Jon has some dreams as Ghost as well, he also can't 'sense' him when they're on opposite sides of the wall after Jon climbs it with the Thenns. He'll get close and touch Ghost and be able to smell and hear things a lot better.

Robb never had a PoV but he would drift and daydream, and someone called him the "Young Wolf" and it pissed him off, so he was probably exploring it and didn't know what was happening, so he was scared of it.

They basically did a lot better with Jon and Ghost in the book than they are in the show. Aryas wolf may as well be dead in the show as well too for all they mention it.

Yoda

So few observations/predictions:

- Sansa/Theon is probably going to allow for them to leave Winterfell and arc back to the Iron Islands.

- Ramsay's budget raiding team (all the $$ was for Jon's fighting scenes) will prob inadvertently kill Shireen, allowing for Melisandre's religious peddling to proceed. Whether this tips the scales in Stannis' favor is 50/50 imo.

- The above raid will somehow get Ramsay and/or Roose killed at some point, either directly or as a consequence of something that happened.

- Breianne is in awfully close proximity to Stannis, I imagine there will be a choice between revenge on Stannis or trying to help Sansa.

- Olly is gunna be the one to stab Jon(first), prob will cite what Sam told him as logic for why he ought do it.

- Leaving Jon dead post season is 50/50. It'd be easy for them to leave him cast similar to how they did w/Tywin.

- Night King seems to be confirmed for E10; this will allow Thorne/skeptics to agree w/Jon's actions and make peace w/wildlings. This will happen after Jon has been stabbed or as he is being stabbed.

- Jorah is prob gunna die in the pit saving Dany.

- Sansa/Theon, Berieanna, or both will allow for an arc back to Bran/Rickon. But of course they will probably only find Rickon.

- Cleganae bowl seems like a thing to me. Having Necro-Mountain fight anyone else really won't have much dramatic effect.

- Arya is prob gunna end this season drinking the stuff and going blind.

Interesting (possible) changes from the book imo. I still don't know what the hell Dorne's purpose was this season, I still also don't know wth is going on between Grey-worm and Dany's advisor (name is escaping me). They've constantly given it air time and it seems to be a whole lot of nothing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Coming soon to a shop near you. The Stark family action figure set. Each family member complete with their own direwolf. GRRM went deep with the merch planning.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

- Sansa/Theon is probably going to allow for them to leave Winterfell and arc back to the Iron Islands.

- Ramsay's budget raiding team (all the $$ was for Jon's fighting scenes) will prob inadvertently kill Shireen, allowing for Melisandre's religious peddling to proceed. Whether this tips the scales in Stannis' favor is 50/50 imo.

- The above raid will somehow get Ramsay and/or Roose killed at some point, either directly or as a consequence of something that happened.

- Breianne is in awfully close proximity to Stannis, I imagine there will be a choice between revenge on Stannis or trying to help Sansa.

- Olly is gunna be the one to stab Jon(first), prob will cite what Sam told him as logic for why he ought do it.

- Leaving Jon dead post season is 50/50. It'd be easy for them to leave him cast similar to how they did w/Tywin.

- Night King seems to be confirmed for E10; this will allow Thorne/skeptics to agree w/Jon's actions and make peace w/wildlings. This will happen after Jon has been stabbed or as he is being stabbed.

- Jorah is prob gunna die in the pit saving Dany.

- Sansa/Theon, Berieanna, or both will allow for an arc back to Bran/Rickon. But of course they will probably only find Rickon.

- Cleganae bowl seems like a thing to me. Having Necro-Mountain fight anyone else really won't have much dramatic effect.

- Arya is prob gunna end this season drinking the stuff and going blind.

Interesting (possible) changes from the book imo. I still don't know what the hell Dorne's purpose was this season, I still also don't know wth is going on between Grey-worm and Dany's advisor (name is escaping me). They've constantly given it air time and it seems to be a whole lot of nothing.

You forgot Gendry...

DJg8mTL.gif

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know I also want to just take this time to vent about how much I hate the way they've screwed up Arya's training this season. What's the point of even bringing back Jaqen if he isn't even going to act like Jaqen H'gar, full of swagger and coolness? All of a sudden Arya has to be put through torture and hardship, she has to earn her place in the HOBW. What were fun and exciting chapters in the books with an interesting mysterious nature are now turned into boring, whisper talking, plain shot sequences in a dull room where Arya gets hit every now and then. Now, she's finally Cat of the Canals or rather "Lana," I guess D&D missed the whole reason she chose "Cat" as her name, but that seems like it's to be condensed to two damn episodes so the viewers barely have a chance to see her actually learn things. It's so poorly handled. And, it's not like I'm talking about needing extra time or locations they just went about everything wrong. It should have went like this:

1. Arya immediately gets into the House like in the books, witnesses man die, dude comes up asks her what she's doing here, skull face, Jaqen H'gar reveal.
2. Conversation with Jaqen, he says she shouldn't be here, she says she wants to be. Jaqen does the you're Arya Stark not "no one" speech. Arya gets rid of stuff, he says then it's time for her to serve.
3. Montage of Arya serving/training in the House. She cleans the floors, cleans the bodies, helps waif (who isn't a dumb bitch for no reason), lying game, etc.. Interspersed with conversations with Jaqen where he reveals Faceless Men back story. All throughout montage the backdoor is ominously present.
4. Arya is sent away to be Cat of the Canals. You can keep most of what that last episode showed, show the "Thin Man" but don't hint at any assassination. The montage is mostly focused on her telling Jaqen what she learns through traveling the city thus also opening viewers up to Braavos.
5. Meryn Trant arrives in the city with Mace Tyrell, Arya eventually kills Trant as Cat. She admits it to Jaqen, he says "who could have done such a thing?" She says Arya Stark. He then introduces her to the hidden back room with the faces.
6. Arya is sent to kill the "Thin Man," is probably given a new face. She poisons the coin and kills him. All hail Arya Faceless Girl.

Bam, I accomplished what needed to be done in 6 episodes without any non-sense, unimportant filler like Arya standing outside the House for a whole episode or pointless conversations with bitch waif. I've also left you 4 episodes to do whatever you like. That means you can have your whole ep. 8 Hardome without ever seeing Arya or a Dorne/KL focused episode as well.

Kain

To be fair, Arya's story in the books is not the best example of good pace even for George's standards. She spends the whole AFFC without accomplishing much. She killed Dareon and that's it.

You know I also want to just take this time to vent about how much I hate the way they've screwed up Arya's training this season. What's the point of even bringing back Jaqen if he isn't even going to act like Jaqen H'gar, full of swagger and coolness? All of a sudden Arya has to be put through torture and hardship, she has to earn her place in the HOBW. What were fun and exciting chapters in the books with an interesting mysterious nature are now turned into boring, whisper talking, plain shot sequences in a dull room where Arya gets hit every now and then. Now, she's finally Cat of the Canals or rather "Lana," I guess D&D missed the whole reason she chose "Cat" as her name, but that seems like it's to be condensed to two damn episodes so the viewers barely have a chance to see her actually learn things. It's so poorly handled. And, it's not like I'm talking about needing extra time or locations they just went about everything wrong. It should have went like this:

1. Arya immediately gets into the House like in the books, witnesses man die, dude comes up asks her what she's doing here, skull face, Jaqen H'gar reveal.
2. Conversation with Jaqen, he says she shouldn't be here, she says she wants to be. Jaqen does the you're Arya Stark not "no one" speech. Arya gets rid of stuff, he says then it's time for her to serve.
3. Montage of Arya serving/training in the House. She cleans the floors, cleans the bodies, helps waif (who isn't a dumb bitch for no reason), lying game, etc.. Interspersed with conversations with Jaqen where he reveals Faceless Men back story. All throughout montage the backdoor is ominously present.
4. Arya is sent away to be Cat of the Canals. You can keep most of what that last episode showed, show the "Thin Man" but don't hint at any assassination. The montage is mostly focused on her telling Jaqen what she learns through traveling the city thus also opening viewers up to Braavos.
5. Meryn Trant arrives in the city with Mace Tyrell, Arya eventually kills Trant as Cat. She admits it to Jaqen, he says "who could have done such a thing?" She says Arya Stark. He then introduces her to the hidden back room with the faces.
6. Arya is sent to kill the "Thin Man," is probably given a new face. She poisons the coin and kills him. All hail Arya Faceless Girl.

Bam, I accomplished what needed to be done in 6 episodes without any non-sense, unimportant filler like Arya standing outside the House for a whole episode or pointless conversations with bitch waif. I've also left you 4 episodes to do whatever you like. That means you can have your whole ep. 8 Hardome without ever seeing Arya or a Dorne/KL focused episode as well.

Bravo, very sad to see forum posters making professionals look like hacks.

Iksenpets

Banned

For some reason, I can never get mad about Arya complaints. I couldn't get mad in season 2 when everyone was mad her story wasn't dark enough, and I can't get mad now when it's apparently too dark. Yeah, Jaqen's not Jaqen, but he's not supposed to be Jaqen. He's just wearing that face. The training's been a little rougher than in the books, but the Lana sequence did a good job conveying fun times in Braavos and the sense of mystery has been great.

I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of Braavos in the books though, so I may just not care as much about some of the nuances there. I've totally been juggling a similar rewrite of Dorne in my head though, since that's the one that bugs me. I need to see where they're taking the conclusion of the season before I really know for sure though.

If the Nights King is confirmed for ep 10. That honestly says that Jon will be resurrected as a WW. They did just show him resurrect like a shit ton of free folk as WWs.

munchie64

I like Arya's story a lot so far. Maybe things happening faster would be a little more exciting, but they probably slowed things down for a reason.

Kyougar

like I said for the hundreth time: There is NO WAY to condense Book 4 and 5 in just one season and have it be eventfull AND have enough characterisation for the people and the Events.
Dorne, Kings Landing, Braavos and Mereen just feel like checklists of things that have to be done for Season 6. (Even Winterfell if the Boltons survive) And even the checklist is awefully barren.
And what was the point? We still have Material from Book 4 and 5 in Season 6 (Euron, Meribald, it could even be that the Jaime Riverland Story is back in)

-griffy-

Banned
I like Arya's story a lot so far. Maybe things happening faster would be a little more exciting, but they probably slowed things down for a reason.

It honestly feels like it's moved faster than it has in the book. I don't know if that's accurate, but she hasn't even been in every episode and has only had 1 or 2 scenes in the episodes she has been in, so by necessity every scene progresses it a bit further. It's done a great job of conveying the mystery of the situation and we are learning bits and pieces along with Arya.

The sequence of events foxtrot laid out just seems like it would take up drastically more screentime that the show just logistically doesn't have the space for. Not to mention the inclusion of multiple traditional montages (literal training montages even!), something I can't recall the show ever doing.

They have all been extremely well shot, well written, well performed scenes. They may not be exactly lifted out of the books, but it seems extreme hyperbole to say they've "screwed up" the storyline or it's been "poorly handled," or to suggest that the execution of the Arya storyline is representative of the filmmakers being "hacks." There's very little I can see to complain about with her story this season, because at the very least it's been completely competently presented, unless your complaint is simply that it's too different from the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom