• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Those promo photos totally refute the Reddit spoiler (as it there was any doubt) because there's not one mention of a Shireen/Davos scene.

Could Davos be planning to abscond with another sacrifice?

Putting a stag toy in her hands is probably a good way to really tug on Stannis' heart strings. Not sure if that's an intentional move from Davos or not. I really hope they're building up to Davos talking him out of it, and not just finding a way to stop it. I don't want another plot about Stannis being mad at Davos for not letting him murder kids.

Arya's storyline has been among the best of this season.

I don't know how we're complaining about it. Well acted, well directed, and sensibly plotted.

Agreed. I think the only plots that have compared in quality have been the Wall and Tyrion. And I may be overrating Tyrion because of how much I like it relative to the book plot.

Moff

Doubtful. Arya regained vision in the book pretty quickly. I deemed it a non-event.

that is true, but I think it could work as a cliffhanger. just to give her something to keep people interested at the end of her arc this season, because after she kills trent I don't see anything else.

Moff

That must be a pretty bad job for a dragon.

Drogon - Daenerys will ride you to conquer the north.

Rhaegal - Tyrion will ride you to conquer the south.

Viserion - you'll go to the armory and help forge some new weapons.

I think it's a great job
chill in your lair, forge epic gear everyone loves you for. get enough food, don't worry about dying, maybe people even sacrifice virgins to you, sounds dope
I'd do it.

It's a cheap cliffhanger imo

not cheaper than the stabbing, imo.
it was setup properly, but nobody believed he's dead. in the book at least.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's a cheap cliffhanger imo

Yeah, a cliffhanger that gets immediately undone the next chapter you see her is cheap. This season will have enough cliffhangers with Jon and maybe Stannis. Even the Dany and the Dothraki stuff is kind of a cliffhanger. Arya works just fine ending on her killing Trant.

Eidan

Finally caught up on the season. My god, this season is putting the book to shame. D&D's ability to cut the fat and make smart changes and additions to Martin's bloated material should be applauded.

D&D have already said that the final scene mirrors the book exactly.

That leaves three possibilities:

1. Jon stabbing with FTW. Cuts to black there itself. No shot of aftermath or anything.
2. Varys appearing the killing Pycelle, Kevan
3. Dany seeing the Dorhraki horde.

We have ended S1, S3 on Dany. This be S5.

So I am going with Dany seeing Dorthraki riders as the ending scene.

gutshot

Finally caught up on the season. My god, this season is putting the book to shame. D&D's ability to cut the fat and make smart changes and additions to Martin's bloated material should be applauded.

Sorry bro, you're wrong. D&D are hacks and this is the worst season of nothing but fanfic bullshit.

I totally agree with you but it seems we are in the minority.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
D&D have already said that the final scene mirrors the book exactly.

That leaves three possibilities:

1. Jon stabbing with FTW. Cuts to black there itself. No shot of aftermath or anything.
2. Varys appearing the killing Pycelle, Kevan
3. Dany seeing the Dorhraki horde.

We have ended S1, S3 on Dany. This be S5.

So I am going with Dany seeing Dorthraki riders as the ending scene.

Looks like there's a pattern to how each season has ended, with Dany popping in at the end of every odd numbered season:

S1 - Dany and her dragunz
S2 - White Walkers Walking
S3 - Dany the great white savior
S4 - Arya on the ship

So Dany, Drogon, Dothraki seems like a safe bet for the season ending scene.

Eidan

Sorry bro, you're wrong. D&D are hacks and this is the worst season of nothing but fanfic bullshit.

I totally agree with you but it seems we are in the minority.

That's not surprising. But D&D had quite the uphill battle with this season. Non-book readers already think this season for the most part is fairly slow. I can't imagine what they would think if the show remained closer to the book... the damn thing would be put out of its misery.

eot

Banned
Yeah, a cliffhanger that gets immediately undone the next chapter you see her is cheap. This season will have enough cliffhangers with Jon and maybe Stannis. Even the Dany and the Dothraki stuff is kind of a cliffhanger. Arya works just fine ending on her killing Trant.

Made cheaper by it being her last chapter in AFfC.

Brakke

Banned
What connection does she even have to Dothraki? She never thinks about her Sun-and-stars, Irri and Jaqui (whatever) are gone, she doesn't have Bloodriders, she doesn't have any Dothraki followers at all, really. Her only Dothraki holdover is Jorah calling her Khaleesi sometimes.

Book-Dany encountering Dothraki is kind of interesting because there's a sense of returning to her roots, proving she's worthy of the title Khaleesi, it being led by someone who opposed her, etc etc. Show-Dany doesn't identify as Dothraki at all.

So what's the drama? The horde doesn't represent a threat (she rides a dragon now), it doesn't really represent an opportunity to settle this aspect of her identity that she's been struggling with. It's just like. A bunch of people.

Iksenpets

Banned
That's not surprising. But D&D had quite the uphill battle with this season. Non-book readers already think this season for the most part is fairly slow. I can't imagine what they would think if the show remained closer to the book... the damn thing would be put out of its misery.

This is basically my opinion. I think this is the most impressive season they've done, just as a feat of adaptation. I think it's also the weakest they've done despite that, just because they've whiffed on a few plots, more so than they ever have in the past. These final episodes should be spectacular though. They seem to be over the hump of their worst plots and ready to barrel forward.

I'm much more pragmatic and believe that D&D have made some smart changes this season, and also some really bad changes. Both GRRM and D&D have made poor choices along the way. However, I do think that while GRRM has some pacing issues, at least his character motivations add up. D&D seem to be sacrificing logical decision making and motivations of the characters for the sake of moving the story beats along.

Patriots7

Wait no Sansa/Littlefinger this episode?

And people actually tried and said D&D had a plan for Sansa going to Winterfell other than for that scene.

Ratrat

Trimming the fat and creating multiple moronic plot lines aren't the same thing.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm much more pragmatic and believe that D&D have made some smart changes this season, and also some really bad changes. Both GRRM and D&D have made poor choices along the way. However, I do think that while GRRM has some pacing issues, at least his character motivations add up. D&D seem to be sacrificing logical decision making and motivations of the characters for the sake of moving the story beats along.

Yeah, D&D are very good at identifying GRRM's worst excesses and correcting them. No more plots where major characters are completely on their own interacting with a bunch of entirely new minor characters, no long, frustrating road trips for Brienne and Tyrion, no more people repeating catch phrases over and over, etc. But they introduce their own issues along the way. Some of those aren't really their fault, like the pacing stuff, where it really is just an issue of production limitations, while some others are more just due to their particular weaknesses as writers, like the Sansa rape plot, or their seeming lack of desire to develop characters like Loras or the Sand Snakes in any meaningful way, or their lack of subtlety with things like Olly angrily glowering at the camera every five minutes.

Ratrat

I agree. I guess it's a good thing I think they did the former and not the latter.
Well, I won't bother repeating the numerous pages discussing why half the plots in the show make no sense. But most of them fall apart with a little scrutiny though.

Eidan

Well, I won't bother repeating the numerous pages discussing why half the plots in the show make no sense. But most of them fall apart with a little scrutiny though.

I'll just take your word on that and keep enjoying this excellent adaptation.

Speevy

Banned
Best episode of the series, OMG that was crazy, I'm back!!!!

Plots make no sense, they ruined the books, D&D are pervs. Must be Thursday.

Moff

What connection does she even have to Dothraki? She never thinks about her Sun-and-stars, Irri and Jaqui (whatever) are gone, she doesn't have Bloodriders, she doesn't have any Dothraki followers at all, really. Her only Dothraki holdover is Jorah calling her Khaleesi sometimes.

Book-Dany encountering Dothraki is kind of interesting because there's a sense of returning to her roots, proving she's worthy of the title Khaleesi, it being led by someone who opposed her, etc etc. Show-Dany doesn't identify as Dothraki at all.

So what's the drama? The horde doesn't represent a threat (she rides a dragon now), it doesn't really represent an opportunity to settle this aspect of her identity that she's been struggling with. It's just like. A bunch of people.
even witthout her identifying as dothraki anymore, it's still interesting to see what happens when she is thrown back to the roots by chance.
that's the most interesting aspect about it in the book anyway, in my opinion. it would be different if she would meet her old tribe, but it's a different one where she needs to prove her worth again anyway.

bengraven

Snow falls.
150604-ep49-jon-outside-1024-1024x576.jpg

"Wait...what de ye mean snow falls? What's with the guy wit the axe behind meh?"

Moff

Then how Twywin reforged ned's great sword into 2 swords?, also in the world of fire and ice its says that there is about 227 valyrian steel weapons in westeros.

maybe the steel gets enchanted if a dragon sits on it for a certain period of time.
after that it can be reforged at your will

Speevy

Banned
Run this formula for all variations of the D and D "Create a nonsensical plotline " meeting.

-Characters who are foreign, either in location or familiarity need to be developed. If they are not developed well, they need to be likeable. If they are not likeable, they need to be directly linked in proximity with characters who are likeable.

Without Sansa, even though her motivations are at best unclear at this point, there is no reason to focus a storyline on Winterfell except that Stannis is attacking it. Ramsay is not a fun character to watch when he's not torturing a character we care about. If the season shows little of Roose/Ramsay and only shows Stannis' difficulties, it is assumed that the Boltons are either unaware or unprepared for an attack. Without the Manderlys, it is assumed that the Boltons have no concept of northern opposition to their cause.

Using show logic, you have to assume that Ramsay would flay Wyman Manderly just as readily as he flayed any other disobedient lord. Aren't you glad he isn't in the show?

I agree though that they need to give Sansa something to do (anything) and fast.

As for Dorne, this has just been horrible all around. I can't excuse it other than to say they had an inexperienced crew with miscast actresses. However, this plot does adhere to the "We need a familiar face in a strange, foreign land." Even if they had just had King Dorann and none of the sand snakes, they still need someone we know to interact with the people we don't. Otherwise they have to build a whole new character.

Rom1944

maybe the steel gets enchanted if a dragon sits on it for a certain period of time.
after that it can be reforged at your will

Well in the world of fire and ice its says there is magic involved in giving the steel the properties maybe there is dragon involvement in that phase.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Book-Dany encountering Dothraki is kind of interesting because there's a sense of returning to her roots.

Regardless of whether or not it makes sense for the show, I think that's the main thing they'd be aiming for if they ended the season on that scene.

"Kelly C is back biotches!!!"/twitter

Promo Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/ZQz8C6Y.jpg

Where is this NK for episode 10 stuff? I don't see any confirmation or even rumor about it anywhere.

Balon is in Ep 10. But Yara is not. Kevan is there, Pycelle is there, Varys is there. Interestingly, Littlefinger is NOT listed. In fact, we are not going to see Littlefinger at all this season again...very surprising.

Apart from that all the season characters from this season are in Ep 10.

so arya is gonna kill balon huh
and varys gonna kill kevan and pycelle
all is fine I suppose

Brakke

Banned
even witthout her identifying as dothraki anymore, it's still interesting to see what happens when she is thrown back to the roots by chance.
that's the most interesting aspect about it in the book anyway, in my opinion. it would be different if she would meet her old tribe, but it's a different one where she needs to prove her worth again anyway.

Regardless of whether or not it makes sense for the show, I think that's the main thing they'd be aiming for if they ended the season on that scene.

"Kelly C is back biotches!!!"/twitter

Yeah totally. It's definitely something they might (probably will) do. It'll just be so much weaker as a cliffhanger in the show, since next season she'll have to backfill a bunch of stuff about how her heart is Dothraki and her Sun-and-stars was so much better than her Drake-ass new hubby and the Khal will have to say outloud how she's a witch that seduced and cursed Drogo and yada yada yada yada. In the books the cliffhanger has clear stakes. On the show they'll have to motivate the stakes *after* the cliffhanger, or else start cramming in all kind of Dothraki stuff in the next ep...

I just saw Hardhome with some friends and they were so scared for Jon. I really do hope they leave his fate as a cliffhanger on the show. Just so I can experience their reaction.

Speevy

Banned
Would killing Jon, even in a reviving scenario, leave the show free to have the dead attack the wall? It seems like they could break down the gate with enough force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom